HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Who hits Waivers?

Old
09-15-2013, 11:21 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
I didn't think players on AHL contracts had to go through waivers.
If they are signed to AHL only contracts, they are NHL UFA's and no don't have to clear waivers when cut from NHL camp.

However players who are not waiver exempt (which has nothing to do with one-way/two-way contracts, it's ages and/or games played in NHL) must clear waivers, so some older players that are headed to AHL will still need to clear waivers, even with little to no NHL experience or two-way contracts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfy IceCapd View Post
Someone would claim IMO. Could see teams that need a solid number 3. Clb? NYR?
Doesn't matter. Your #3 goes to AHL...and the team would then need to put the player BACK on waivers to send him to AHL. Then Toronto could then just claim him back. You only claim players that are going to be an NHL teams, not #3 G's, it can't work.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 12:12 AM
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
There's pretty much a 98% chance Steph Da Costa hits waivers. He's looking very good in Sens camp and I think if there's any team out there lacking skill down the middle, he'd be a very good pick up. Sens just can't accommodate him. Really good upside and he could be a second line guy in the near future.

EDIT: Can the Oilers accommodate him on their roster with RNH out? I know they already lack size but he'd mesh well with guys like Yak or Hall. He's a great passer.
Right now, I'd say there's a MUCH better chance that the Sens keep DaCosta as the 13th forward over O'Brien...

Ryan-Spezza-Michalek
MacArthur-Turris-Greening?
Conacher-Zibanejad-Condra
Kassian (eww)-Smith-Neil

... or some variation on those lines. I think it's between Hoffman and DaCosta right now on who gets the 13th forward spot. Whoever loses that battle will either be waived, or traded (if there is interest in them on the trade market).

BonkTastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 12:22 AM
falconski
Unregistered User

Hunwick almost assuredly
mitchell might if Roy decides Malone is better at the 4th line center role
I'm not sure if Olver can be sent down without passing through anymore, but if not, he could be too

falconski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 02:01 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Star Kunitz

vCash: 2563

I highly doubt Bortuzzo is allowed to touch waivers because his cap hit is a mere $600k (and it goes through next season...that's perfect #7 money), not enough alone to get us under the cap. The fact Niskanen hasn't been dealt yet doesn't mean it won't happen. There's really only two players on the roster who, by themselves, can fix the cap situation while being expendable...and Niskanen is a hell of a lot easier to replace than Jussi Jokinen is considering we don't have a single minor league wing prospect who will sniff the NHL this year...if Jokinen moves then that just means bigger roles for Kobasew, Glass, and Chris Conner...if Niskanen moves that just means Bortuzzo gets to be the #7 and a near-NHL ready Brian Dumoulin still waits in WBS.

I'm really starting to think there is a chance that Tanner Glass finds himself on waivers...there's no way Kobasew doesn't make the roster, and he'll do so on a lesser hit than Glass. That gives the Penguins 14 forwards and no young fringe guys that would be taking the hit...of course that probably means the Penguins will value his "toughness" and put Joe Vitale on waivers instead...I died a little just by typing that.

I can see one of our guys that gets sent down being claimed...but I don't see this being a Brian Strait situation, I see it more as an Andrew Ebbett or going to a team with injuries on their 4th line situation or Brenden Mikkelson going to a team looking for an experienced #7/8 defenseman.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 09-16-2013 at 02:10 AM.
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 02:24 AM
McShiva
5-14-6-1

My picks from the Oilers:

Ben Eager, Linus Omark, Denis Grebeshkov, Taylor Fedun (Believe he is waiver eligible, not sure though) Philip Larsen

(I believe Belov will grab the 6th defenseman slot, and Potter will be the PB player, as he is cheap)

McShiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 04:23 AM
Bryanbryoil
Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesarmstrong22 View Post
I think Tim Jackman in Calgary
I'd love to add him if you guys cast him aside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeighDx13 View Post
Patrick Eaves and Jordin Tootoo if they aren't traded. Cory Emmerton if Darren Helm is healthy.
I'd love to add Tootoo as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
for the Flames:

Almost guaranteed they will be waived:
Greg Nemisz, Paul Byron, Ben Street, Blair Jones and Ryan Howse are placed on waivers.

Pretty good chance they will be waived:
Mark Cundari, Chris Breen, Derek Smith

Small chance they will be waived:
Tim Jackman, Joey MacDonald
I can't say that I know much about him, but Byron seemed to be a good skater and was noticeable in the preseason game, is he far from making your club?

EDIT-I see that he's Nathan Gerbe sized so that could hinder his chances a good bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiva View Post

Ben Eager, Linus Omark, Denis Grebeshkov, Taylor Fedun (Believe he is waiver eligible, not sure though) Philip Larsen

(I believe Belov will grab the 6th defenseman slot, and Potter will be the PB player, as he is cheap)
IMO we could see any of these guys getting waived albeit some are more likely than others.

Defense: Larsen, Potter, Grebeshkov
Forwards: Eager, Brown, Omark
Goalies: Bachman

09-16-2013, 06:37 AM
Jeff_Dyck_#1
Est. MMII

Hunwick

Jeff_Dyck_#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 07:38 AM
tony d
Is it though?

Jim O'brien with Ottawa.

09-16-2013, 08:00 AM
gdsmack267

F Tanner Glass
F Harry Zolnierczyk

gdsmack267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 06:56 AM
Jacko95

Cedric Desjardins, could see him claimed if a teams loses a goalie and has nobody in the system that is NHL ready. But that would hurt, as he is right now the the only AHL goalie of us that I would describe as NHL ready.
Dana Tyrell, fast, small, hands out of stone, but great team guy that goes always 110%
Tom Pyatt, not really big, makes only 600k for next season only, smart, can play all three forward positions, goes to the dirty areas, great PKer, was in for 30points last season (in a 82game schedule), great guy, really hard worker, very consistent.

I really hope that we don't wave Pyatt, but it is a posibility.
And if Sulzer is really put on waivers I hope Tampa claims him as depth defender, that can push Brewer and Aulie for their jobs.

Jacko95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 07:23 AM
nycbruins*

Nick Johnson maybe

nycbruins* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 07:32 AM
Manitoba Oilers*

Quote:

Omark is on a twoway deal

Manitoba Oilers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 07:42 AM
nycbruins*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitoba Oilers View Post
Nothing to do with waivers. Read 1st post of this page

nycbruins* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 08:52 AM
MisterD
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
Likely candidates for the Oilers:

Linus Omark
Corey Potter
Philip Larsen
Denis Grebeshkov
Ryan Hamilton
Ben Eager
Richard Bachman

MisterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 08:53 AM
MisterD
5-14-6-1

Quote:

I don't believe Fedun needs to go through waivers.

MisterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 02:56 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesarmstrong22 View Post
I think Tim Jackman in Calgary
If he goes on Waivers i bet Edmonton claims him. If they're going to get an enforcer Jackman for my money is one of the few "good" ones. He can play a bit and he's actually a pretty solid 4th liner IMO.

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 02:59 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitoba Oilers View Post

cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 03:03 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Organization seems to want to give him every chance to make the team, but Kevin Connauton in Dallas.

They gave him a 3 year deal with the final two as one-way in hopes of deterring people from claiming him if they decide to waive him.

Mess of options on forward, but the most notable could be Lane MacDermid, Ryan Garbutt, and Colton Sceviour.
Why can't he make the jump? Good player in the AHL from my viewings (thanks lockout).

Old
09-17-2013, 03:03 PM
Goodlad

vCash: 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
If he goes on Waivers i bet Edmonton claims him. If they're going to get an enforcer Jackman for my money is one of the few "good" ones. He can play a bit and he's actually a pretty solid 4th liner IMO.
Well, he's a much better 4th line player than "enforcer". Jackman will go toe-to-toe with the heavyweights, but he usually comes out on the losing end of it. He is capable of skating a few shifts a night without being a detriment though, and he's willing to hit out there, although his lack of footspeed means most guys can avoid his checks.

Goodlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 03:36 PM
AlowlyMcOilersfan
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeestaDeteta View Post
Likely candidates for the Oilers:

Linus Omark
Corey Potter
Philip Larsen
Denis Grebeshkov
Ryan Hamilton
Ben Eager
Richard Bachman
Yeah, Larsen for sure.

Same with Hamilton, imo.

And Bachman.

The rest is fluid though.

AlowlyMcOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 03:40 PM
HoseEmDown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko95 View Post

Cedric Desjardins, could see him claimed if a teams loses a goalie and has nobody in the system that is NHL ready. But that would hurt, as he is right now the the only AHL goalie of us that I would describe as NHL ready.
Dana Tyrell, fast, small, hands out of stone, but great team guy that goes always 110%
Tom Pyatt, not really big, makes only 600k for next season only, smart, can play all three forward positions, goes to the dirty areas, great PKer, was in for 30points last season (in a 82game schedule), great guy, really hard worker, very consistent.

I really hope that we don't wave Pyatt, but it is a posibility.
And if Sulzer is really put on waivers I hope Tampa claims him as depth defender, that can push Brewer and Aulie for their jobs.
Tyrell, Taormina, Lee, Angeledis, Walker will have to go through waivers and I see none being claimed. Desjardins and Helenius too but can't see a team picking up a goalie this early.

Why claim a player who adds nothing new to the team? Sulzer would be the 8th D which is a claim and roster waste. I see us lolooking at a D but a younger RH one.

HoseEmDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 04:04 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
There's pretty much a 98% chance Steph Da Costa hits waivers. He's looking very good in Sens camp and I think if there's any team out there lacking skill down the middle, he'd be a very good pick up. Sens just can't accommodate him. Really good upside and he could be a second line guy in the near future.

EDIT: Can the Oilers accommodate him on their roster with RNH out? I know they already lack size but he'd mesh well with guys like Yak or Hall. He's a great passer.
Gagner is younger and better on the 2nd line. Gordon is the 3rd line center. After that they have either a checker in Acton, a checking prospect in Lander, or a very similar player in Arcobello who looks to be either just as good or better. I just don't see why he'd be an option for our team.

Old
09-17-2013, 10:59 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Urbom and Josefson are on the fence and it kills me.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 11:09 PM
JeffForsberg21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
EA Sports...it's in the game !

JeffForsberg21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 11:24 PM
TehDoak
Forgot About Z

vCash: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPantalones View Post
McBain and Tallinder arent getting waived. 0% chance that happens. And very slim chance Sulzer is waived.
These are guys that were healthy scratches for long periods of time, all of whom are UFAs at years end (except McBain, who is a RFA)

Considering that Ristoleinin is essentially a shoe in for the roster at this point, our top 6 looks like:

Ehrohoff-Myers
Weber-Pysyk
XXXX-Ristolainen
Ruhwedel, McBain, Tallinder, McNabb, Sulzer

That's 5 NHL D-men for 2 spots. My suspicion is that Tallinder, McNabb, and McBain are kept up to start the season, with McBain being moved/waived once/if Risto gets past the 9 game period where they can slide his ELC to next year.

TehDoak is online now   Reply With Quote