HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Today I... (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
09-10-2013, 09:32 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

vCash: 500
Therapy, I do not have a mask cam. Repeat, do not.

Old
09-11-2013, 01:41 AM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
As someone who has lived in somewhat hot, muggy Boston along with actually hot and disgustingly muggy Houston and ridiculously hellishly hot but rarely muggy Phoenix, I can safely state that neither SoCal nor NYC get that hot during the summer. Y'all are just wimps. And have a decided lack of air conditioning in the north east.
Hot/humid/muggy Boston is the same exact thing as hot/humid/muggy NYC. There isn't much of a difference. And there are definitely times in NY where it stays hot (90's) and significantly more humid than it is here in Cali @ TerryYake

Old
09-11-2013, 03:08 PM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanned On It View Post
Hot/humid/muggy Boston is the same exact thing as hot/humid/muggy NYC. There isn't much of a difference. And there are definitely times in NY where it stays hot (90's) and significantly more humid than it is here in Cali @ TerryYake
True.

NE humidity is the WORST. 93 degrees here right now. 55% at 4 in the afternoon. It was 89% humidity at 8am this morning.

Old
09-11-2013, 07:45 PM
stocky

Playing hockey yesterday and found out it was one of the guys' birthday. He turned 78.

Old
09-11-2013, 09:10 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocky View Post
Playing hockey yesterday and found out it was one of the guys' birthday. He turned 78.
Wow. Good on him!

Old
09-12-2013, 02:50 PM
Splitbtw
Free Torres!

Today after work I am going to kill some HIIT and agility ladders along with anything else I decide to do at the gym. I already lifted this morning before work, so all of this is just bonus.

Old
09-13-2013, 06:48 AM
The Saurus

Last night I notched a shutout in my first league game of the year in an "A" division composed primarily of ex-Junior players and a handful of recently retired professionals --- two from the AHL and a few others who came back from Europe. The team I played against had the two AHLers and one of their friends that had played in Europe and the rest were ex-junior players.

I felt great the entire time and had a blast. We won 2-0.

Old
09-13-2013, 06:52 AM
The Saurus

Oh and my disdain for those that take beer leagues too seriously grows. Near the end of the game, a guy cuts towards the net and nearly takes my head off in the process.

I would have lost it if it weren't for the fact that my neck was killing me. Have a headache today too.

Old
09-13-2013, 09:35 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Won. On a team that lost every game last season. This season there are a bunch of new players and it's made a difference - most of us have played together on various teams, but now we've joined together to become a force for good. Sort of.

Anyway, it was nice to get the W. I've been on teams that do well from the start and they don't appreciate a W nearly as much as a team that has had to work for it.

It was a shut-out too. 3-0.

Old
09-13-2013, 10:40 AM
Ozz

Last night, got booted from the playoffs on my low-division team.Had 0g/1a, though I did score on a breakaway that was deemed to not be a buzzer-beater

Old
09-16-2013, 03:05 AM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocky View Post
That's awesome.. my g-pa still plays at 85... Well, sort of "plays". It's funny because (when I still lived home) he played with my dad and I in the C division which is 3 up from the bottom so he was totally not in the league he should've been in, but he had a blast playing with us on the same line. Three generations of us on one line. We would feed him and he would actually score goals sometimes. Crazy.

Old
09-16-2013, 12:21 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Wow, haven't been on here much.

Looking to sign my kid up for his first year of mini mites. $250 plus $40 with USA Hockey plus $100-150 in equipment. I already spent $465 plus $40 USA Hockey for myself. If he sticks with it, my days of league play may be over.

Old
09-16-2013, 12:42 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanned On It View Post
That's awesome.. my g-pa still plays at 85... Well, sort of "plays". It's funny because (when I still lived home) he played with my dad and I in the C division which is 3 up from the bottom so he was totally not in the league he should've been in, but he had a blast playing with us on the same line. Three generations of us on one line. We would feed him and he would actually score goals sometimes. Crazy.
I went w/a friend a couple weeks ago to play pickup; they had a guy relatively recently who just stopped tending net at the age of 86. That's so awesome and I can only hope to be able to do the same.

Old
09-16-2013, 06:43 PM
goucherhockey46

today I realized it's been 4 months since I played my last game with my college beer league team. I dont think I've ever missed anything so damn bad

Old
09-16-2013, 10:07 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

vCash: 366
So after being the full time goalie in a summer rec league I've been offered a rec league gig. There's a guy I play with, probably one of the best hockey players I've ever played with/against. Guy is small but fast and damn can he stick handle. Anyways before we go out onto the ice he tells me he wants me to play on his rec team league, reason being he wants to win games. Best part is I play free. When I asked him the price he laughed and said "goalies play free, hell we'll even pay for your beer"

Old
09-17-2013, 12:40 PM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Saw this link: http://www.cuthockeysticks.com/ and read up on hockey stick lengths and decided to cut about 2 1/2 inches off one of my backup sticks to see how using a much shorter stick would affect my game. I have an Instructional class tonight that I'm going to test it out on. I'm not saying that this is completely correct, but the site does make a convincing argument so I thought why not.

On a side note I had noticed as of late when starting up the ice with the puck on a drill it was my natural reaction to hold the stick a little lower until I adjusted my top hand to move up to the grip so I think this might feel more natural.

Old
09-17-2013, 03:05 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Chi Town, I did one better from that site and grabbed an original copy of his book (long out of print). Very interesting.

I will say the stick was too short for me coming up to about my chin in bare feet. But at the time my stick was up to my nose and I've slowly moved down to just below my bottom lip.

The biggest thing for me is the lie of the blade. With a Forsberg, the lie is 5 and the blade is flat, so I need a longer stick, otherwise when I'm shooing the heel is off the ice. But that's not comfortable for me. So I use a higher lie blade and try to find something with a rockered toe that is 5.5-6 lie and even higher near the toe, like the P14 or P92.

Also, if you Google, there's a bunch of great videos of Howie Meeker's CBC instructional online. Some great stuff even if outdated.

Old
09-17-2013, 03:59 PM
Primrose Everdeen
Let It Go

vCash: 100
Today, my visor arrived and I struggled to put it on my helmet but finally got it on.

It's a lot clearer to look through than I thought it would be (I last wore a visor about 9 years ago - reason I have one now is that it's mandatory for officials starting this season). We'll see how it holds up when I play on Thursday night.

Old
09-17-2013, 05:27 PM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Chi Town, I did one better from that site and grabbed an original copy of his book (long out of print). Very interesting.

I will say the stick was too short for me coming up to about my chin in bare feet. But at the time my stick was up to my nose and I've slowly moved down to just below my bottom lip.

The biggest thing for me is the lie of the blade. With a Forsberg, the lie is 5 and the blade is flat, so I need a longer stick, otherwise when I'm shooing the heel is off the ice. But that's not comfortable for me. So I use a higher lie blade and try to find something with a rockered toe that is 5.5-6 lie and even higher near the toe, like the P14 or P92.

Also, if you Google, there's a bunch of great videos of Howie Meeker's CBC instructional online. Some great stuff even if outdated.
Thanks for the info!

I would say mine is about to my chin in bare feet and could for sure be too short. That is why I did it on a backup stick. I wanted to test it out and I wanted to take off a considerable amount to really feel the difference.

Old
09-17-2013, 06:26 PM
howeaboutthat

Well tonight I had a break from my usual left wing position and played a bit of center. It started great but didn't end well.

Screening NM + man mountain of a d-man taking a slap shot = argh.

Why do pucks always find the tiny gap between leg pads and pants armor?

I played on best I could but I can't dress it up, I am hurting.

Old
09-18-2013, 09:01 AM
Brunomics

First game of the season after taking the summer off. Had one skate last week in open hockey to feel the ice again. Team we played wasn't that good and we beat them 10-2. Had 3 goals and an assist.

Weird thing is I had lost about 18 pounds this summer so I'm much faster than last season but my hands have no where near caught up to the speed yet. Had 4 breakaways and finished on 2(wasn't even hanging, just blew right by the D like they were standing still in the neutral zone). The other two I missed because I came in too fast. Was able to use speed to beat D-men wide and take it to the net as well which is nice. Should be an interesting season if I can not put on any weight.

Old
09-18-2013, 09:45 AM
Ozz

Last night: 0pts in our opening fall season game loss (high division). Half our team was comprised of subs, this team has lately had a really tough time getting the usual boys together. They commit, then keep backing out. Pretty damn aggravating! It didn't help that we spent half the game on the PK, every time we turned around it was some other call. All the while we were getting obstructed and interfered with non-stop and not a single call went the other way. It was just one of those nights.

Old
09-18-2013, 01:55 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownHawks View Post
Thanks for the info!

I would say mine is about to my chin in bare feet and could for sure be too short. That is why I did it on a backup stick. I wanted to test it out and I wanted to take off a considerable amount to really feel the difference.
The nice thing is you can still add a plug and then cut it to length. I have a TON of 1-2 inch plugs sitting around. The problem for me is I use intermediates so I have to shave the tenons so they fit in the smaller shaft. But it works great and doesn't screw anything up, cheap too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
First game of the season after taking the summer off. Had one skate last week in open hockey to feel the ice again. Team we played wasn't that good and we beat them 10-2. Had 3 goals and an assist.

Weird thing is I had lost about 18 pounds this summer so I'm much faster than last season but my hands have no where near caught up to the speed yet. Had 4 breakaways and finished on 2(wasn't even hanging, just blew right by the D like they were standing still in the neutral zone). The other two I missed because I came in too fast. Was able to use speed to beat D-men wide and take it to the net as well which is nice. Should be an interesting season if I can not put on any weight.
I had the same thing! When I started lifting weights a couple years ago, all of a sudden I was blowing past guys and getting breakaways. Then I got too heavy. I'm down 10 pounds from last year and hopefully can knock off another 5-10 pounds for this season. Every little bit helps for the third period!

Old
09-18-2013, 02:44 PM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

vCash: 50
Have my first practice with my team tonight. I'm very nervous but anxious!

Old
09-18-2013, 06:37 PM
sxHarr05

Monday night I played my first game as part of a team in 17 years, something I started working toward earlier in the year. The week prior was the evaluation skate for players new to the league. I found out from the hockey director that I had actually gone pretty early, and to my surprise C-North. I played center for the first time ever in the eval. Fun times. So Monday I got to meet my new team and play our "preseason" game. Played LW on the third line with two other newbs. We developed pretty good chemistry and our RW potted two. We were out for one against, scored by a good friend of mine so it stung a little more. I feel I was effective because I never stopped skating, applied pressure on the forecheck, played a defensive role and was generally disruptive. Oh, and I found out I chirp. Nothing malicious. But I tend to say off the wall stuff. Good fun all around. I need to work on my patience with the puck, as well as handling it. But I think if I just keep doing what I've done the last two games I'll be alright. Also helps that the team seems to be a bunch of good guys who, while they do all play hard, they're clean about it and having fun.

Oh, btw, we lost 5-4. The ref "ignored" our goal to tie it at four because we allegedly shorted him ten bucks.

Closed Thread