HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers sign Samuel Morin to a three-year entry-level contract (AAV $1.425m yr.)

Old
09-17-2013, 02:32 PM
Broad Street Elite

vCash: 500
Even if the Flyers wanted to, they likely cannot find the cap space to give Morin a 9-game trial. Remember, Gus is no longer waiver exempt, so if he goes to the AHL, he'll be exposed to waivers on his return. Mez is on a one-way deal, so his salary counts against the cap regardless of where he is.

I suppose if we trade Mez and healthy scratch Gus, we can get Morin his 9-games, but who is that helping exactly? Gus needs the development time too.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 02:35 PM
Hiesenberg

vCash: 491
This is ridiculous that we are discussing letting this kid play 1/9th of the season. He's 18. Just let him play in juniors, they aren't desperate for d-men.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 02:44 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
This is ridiculous that we are discussing letting this kid play 1/9th of the season. He's 18. Just let him play in juniors, they aren't desperate for d-men.
It's excellent experience for him, and it could potentially benefit the team in those nine games. Before watching him at rookie camp and in the preseason, I thought there was no chance (or reason) for him to get his 9 games. I didn't think he had the composure, poise, or confidence to handle the pro game yet, but those fears are disappearing as I continue watching him. He provides a game that no one on this team has with his combination of size, aggressiveness, and mobility.

Under no circumstances should he make the team this season, but giving him a try out wouldn't be the worst thing in the world at all. We're not desperate, but if he can maintain this level of play, it wouldn't take a desperate team to have Morin in the lineup for a few games.

It's a logjam with defenders back there, but if he proves that he can match the ability of Gustafsson or Meszaros, then why not give him some time?

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 02:50 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
The kid played the third most minutes in the game last night and didn't look out of place at all. Hopefully the Flyers do the right thing though and send him back to his junior club. Give him that taste like they did with Laughton last season. The last thing Morin needs is to be given the Luca Sbisa treatment.
I am really jacked about this kid. So happy the Flyers listened to me and picked him.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 02:54 PM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
It's excellent experience for him, and it could potentially benefit the team in those nine games. Before watching him at rookie camp and in the preseason, I thought there was no chance (or reason) for him to get his 9 games. I didn't think he had the composure, poise, or confidence to handle the pro game yet, but those fears are disappearing as I continue watching him. He provides a game that no one on this team has with his combination of size, aggressiveness, and mobility.

Under no circumstances should he make the team this season, but giving him a try out wouldn't be the worst thing in the world at all. We're not desperate, but if he can maintain this level of play, it wouldn't take a desperate team to have Morin in the lineup for a few games.

It's a logjam with defenders back there, but if he proves that he can match the ability of Gustafsson or Meszaros, then why not give him some time?
With the possibility of him costing games? What good is it for him to dress and sit on a bench except for 5 mins. Dress 6 d-men that can play the majority of the game.

BTW, this is how you ruin young d-men.

Old
09-17-2013, 02:59 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
With the possibility of him costing games? What good is it for him to dress and sit on a bench except for 5 mins. Dress 6 d-men that can play the majority of the game.

What do you mean "costing games"? If you mean he'd be a liability, then that's what the preseason is for. To show that he's capable of handling a regular shift. If he proves himself, then he'd get more than five minutes a game. My premise is that Morin proves he can handle a regular shift. If not, then send him down right away. But if he continues to prove that he can skate at this level, then he'll get a regular shift.

And I'm not suggesting he play out the entire year. Playing nine games (or less even) would only get his feet wet. That would in no way "ruin a young dman".

Ruining a young defender would be keeping him up the whole season and putting him in a role that's too great for him to handle. The entire point is to give him a role a he can handle, let him play a few games, then go dominate juniors with some pro experience.

Old
09-17-2013, 03:01 PM
markzab

Send a message via AIM to markzab
Quote:

You're overreacting. You ruin young d-men by making them stick with the big club when they aren't ready and only giving them 5minutes a game. You entice young d-men and get them excited at the possibility of a good future within the organization by allowing them a taste of their dream and letting them play 9 games...if they're ready.

And nobody is saying he'd even be getting just 5 minutes if this happened. Someone had mentioned he played the 3rd most minutes in last nights game. If he continues to play well in camp (better than some of our 6-7 slated d-men) then he wouldnt be a liability for 9 games and he'd be out there for more than 5 minutes a night.

markzab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 03:06 PM
Hiesenberg

So now the 18 year that 4 months ago everybody was saying was super raw will be able to handle a 20 min a night TOI because he had a couple of good games against mostly players that won't be in the NHL.

Old
09-17-2013, 03:09 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
So now the 18 year that 4 months ago everybody was saying was super raw will be able to handle a 20 min a night TOI because he had a couple of good games against mostly players that won't be in the NHL.
Who said 20 minutes a night? Calm the **** down.

If he's on the 3rd line, I could see him pull out anywhere between 12 and 15 minutes, which is a good amount of time to give the taste of the NHL and full games to know what it's like, even if it's just a 9 game trial.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 03:10 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
So the two options are 5min per game or 20min per game?

He was raw because everyone expected him to be out of his element at the pro game. Most expected him to not have composure or poise, and we thought he'd have trouble reading the speed of the pro game. He's disspelling those notions, and if he continues to do so throughout camp, then he may productive in a limited role in a tryout.

Give him 13-16 minutes per game (if he continues to prove he is capable), and let him just get a feel for the NHL game. Then send him back with that experience and hope that it gives him a leg up on the competition he'll be playing against in the Q.

It's really not that outrageous, and it's all based on the premise that he continues to maintain this level of play. If he doesn't, I'll have no problem sending him down right away.

Old
09-17-2013, 03:17 PM
Hiesenberg

Why is a 9 game taste beneficial?

Old
09-17-2013, 03:22 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
why isn't it?

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 03:23 PM
tuckrr

Quote:
Confidence
Motivation
Meeting teammates & getting cell numbers
Learning the system & staff
Learning proper training & nutrition

Then go back to minors and think about where you want to be in 11 months.

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 03:25 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
Confidence
Motivation
Meeting teammates & getting cell numbers
Learning the system & staff
Learning proper training & nutrition

Then go back to minors and think about where you want to be in 11 months.
Not only that, it allows him to realize what he needs to do to step up to be able to play better and play well in the NHL. 9 game trials give you a taste of what strengths you have and what weaknesses you have, and you do your damnedest to fix them or make them better (strengths being better).

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 03:26 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

I guess it does come down to though, whether its Meszaros or Gustafsson, do you want them sitting there in the pressbox for 9 games? Cant see it benefiting them, especially Gus who seems to be struggling right now.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 03:27 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
1) It gives Morin an opportunity to return to juniors with pro experience. Imagine being on the ice with NHL players then returning to juniors. We want him to build his confidence. Any advantage we can give him at the junior level is beneficial.

1b) It gives Morin a chance to learn from the pros in an actual competitive setting rather than the preseason setting where nothing really matters. Learning how to compete is half the battle.

2) He gives us a defender who has size, mobility, and toughness. Our D is either nonphysical puck movers (Timonen, Streit, Gustafsson), big and slow (Schenn, Grossmann), or big and quick but softish (Coburn). If Morin makes the team, it will be because he's proven he can blend (some of) those abilities.

3) Morin could very well be an upgrade on our #6. If we have an all out battle for the 3W spot, why shouldn't we have a battle for the 6D spot? Remember, the entire premise is that Morin proves he's good enough. If not, then we send him down. But how would it not be beneficial if he proves he may be an upgrade on our other options?

Old
09-17-2013, 03:28 PM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I guess it does come down to though, whether its Meszaros or Gustafsson, do you want them sitting there in the pressbox for 9 games? Cant see it benefiting them, especially Gus who seems to be struggling right now.
Gus stinks. I don't get all the love this guy gets around here.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 03:29 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
Sigh, he had a great last season + was Team Sweden's top defender during the WC. Yet he stinks.

Right now he isnt doing good, but dont ignore the facts of his previous games. Maybe we should talk about "4 mil 3rd pairing defender" Meszaros instead.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 03:32 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Sigh, he had a great last season + was Team Sweden's top defender during the WC. Yet he stinks.

Right now he isnt doing good, but dont ignore the facts of his previous games. Maybe we should talk about "4 mil 3rd pairing defender" Meszaros instead.
Gus was not great last season. He was good, and still had a lot to work on

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 03:42 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
If Morin clearly outplays Gustafsson, Meszaros, Gervais and Grossmann, it would be awfully difficult to justify sending him back. Do I think he's going back? Yep. Do I think he'll get a 9 game trial? Most definitely.
They really can't let him have a trial without getting rid of Mesz first. I don't know if they can, so I'm assuming he's going back without a trial this year.

Next year, he can have his 9 games, then go back for his final WJC year in the Q. No need to rush him.

Same with Laughton. He looked better in what I saw of the game last night, but he was not good on Sunday in London. It would not hurt him to go back, esp. if Raffl is outplaying him. Heck, Cousins and Akeson might be outplaying him at this point.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 03:44 PM
tuckrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Gus was not great last season. He was good, and still had a lot to work on
Yeah Morin >>>>>>>>>> Gus
in terms of potential and importance to this teams future.

It'd be nice to have gus develop, but Morin gets priority here EASILY. He should take Gus' spot for 9 games without a second thought.

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 03:45 PM
leclair1088

Found this funny, there is also a Erik Gustafsson in Edm

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=9843

leclair1088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 03:48 PM
Flyerss

vCash: 224
have him as a 7th D in the game?

Flyerss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 03:54 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:

Both of them looked better last night than in London. Scary thing is that Gardiner and Rielly both looked amazingly good....

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 04:00 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
Be careful, man. You are treading in dangerous waters. Gus is a top four defenseman. We all know it. The guy has played in 60 games! That is almost an entire season!

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote