HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Crosby proclaims Price the best goalie in the league.

Old
09-17-2013, 05:42 PM

vCash: 500
Not surprising, Carey Price, despite what his detractors say, is a great goalie

But apparently, being a great goalie means you have to be perfect every night and you can't have slumps and you also have to be able to carry very average teams to the Stanley Cup every single year

Carey Price is entering the prime of his career, which is odd to say since it seems like he's been at it so long. This is the point in his career where he should logically be taking the next step. He's got all the physical and technical attributes, and considering what he's gone through in MTL, I think the mental part of his game is reaching it's apex as well.

Playing goalie for the Montreal Canadiens is literally the toughest job in hockey, it doesn't matter if it's Price, Fucale, Theo, Thibault, Huet, etc...

The expectation, regardless of how good/bad this team is, will always be for the goalie of this team to be perfect.

Tough job for anyone, but especially when you're 21-22...at his age now, with his experience..i'm sure we'll see him take the next step this year

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 05:46 PM
Craig71

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post

But apparently, being a great goalie means you have to be perfect every night and you can't have slumps and you also have to be able to carry very average teams to the Stanley Cup every single year

Carey Price is entering the prime of his career, which is odd to say since it seems like he's been at it so long. This is the point in his career where he should logically be taking the next step. He's got all the physical and technical attributes, and considering what he's gone through in MTL, I think the mental part of his game is reaching it's apex as well.

Playing goalie for the Montreal Canadiens is literally the toughest job in hockey, it doesn't matter if it's Price, Fucale, Theo, Thibault, Huet,
The expectation, regardless of how good/bad this team is, will always be for the goalie of this team to be perfect.

Tough job for anyone, but especially when you're 21-22...at his age now, with his experience..i'm sure we'll see him take the next step this year
I hope you are right but up to this point, I have not seen it.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 05:48 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

The only way price will take the next step is when the habs and MB take the next step. And that's obviously not happening this season.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 05:51 PM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

The amount of hate Price gets from his own fans is ridiculous, the same people who are crapping all over him will be calling him the best goalie in the league the moment he steals a game.

Now I don't think he's the best in the league, but I rank him top 5. If Sid thinks he's #1, that's fine, he's entitled to his opinion and you won't hear me complaining about it.

Strik_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 05:51 PM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
the best or not, doesn't matter, he's among the best.

in b4 Nedved's "Fucale takes over Prices job in 1 year" & Agnostic quoting ESPN's goalie ranking in the "article" by rds

The matter of time is more a matter of elevating this team to contender status. So basically once DD, Cube and Briere are no longer part of this team. 2 years at least if not more.
That's a weird take on this...

So if we get rid of those guys all of a sudden we're contender status? Does that mean that without them, just empty holes we'd be better? Or do we need to replace those solidified NHL players by prospects who have no experience and THEN we're a contending team?

There are some people who think too highly of themselves around here, NHL coaches and NHL GM's are not dumber than your average fan.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 05:52 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

here is the video of it...

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/07/02...-wont-sign-him

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
I hope you are right but up to this point, I have not seen it.
He's shown it...but I don't think it's fair to expect miracles

The Habs have been at best, an average team that's at times overachieved since he's been a pro.

Yes he needs to improve and become more consistent...but that's not usually something that happens until a goalie's late 20's, unless of course that goalie plays for a stacked team...which we know, Price does not.

Price is part of the team...the realistic expectations that we all have for the Habs as a team, should be the same for Carey Price.

No one here, realistically expects the Habs to be a Stanley Cup contender (doesn't mean they can't win it mind you). So is it fair to expect Price to have a sub 2.00GAA, 40 wins and a 940 sv %?

Old
09-17-2013, 05:55 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
Sorry wrong link

here it is

http://kuklaskorner.com/hockey/comme...medium=twitter

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 05:56 PM
Mr_Lyle

Confirmed with link: Crosby on massive amounts of drugs.

Mr_Lyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 05:58 PM

For the record, I don't think being 'the best goalie' really means anything in the end

It's still a team game...and the team with the best goalie, doesn't necessarily always have the most success

Old
09-17-2013, 06:02 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
For the record, I don't think being 'the best goalie' really means anything in the end

It's still a team game...and the team with the best goalie, doesn't necessarily always have the most success
Just ask the Rangers...The King is amazing ( except when he plays the Habs ).

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 06:03 PM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Lyle View Post
Confirmed with link: Crosby on massive amounts of drugs.
I think Toews partied with Crosby now that I watched the video

Strik_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 06:03 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:

This is what we should all take home. Goaltending is a team position.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 06:04 PM
Craig71

Quote:
He's shown it...but I don't think it's fair to expect miracles

The Habs have been at best, an average team that's at times overachieved since he's been a pro.

Yes he needs to improve and become more consistent...but that's not usually something that happens until a goalie's late 20's, unless of course that goalie plays for a stacked team...which we know, Price does not.

Price is part of the team...the realistic expectations that we all have for the Habs as a team, should be the same for Carey Price.

No one here, realistically expects the Habs to be a Stanley Cup contender (doesn't mean they can't win it mind you). So is it fair to expect Price to have a sub 2.00GAA, 40 wins and a 940 sv %?
Inconsistency is the word that best describes Carey Price, he just looks like his head is not in it on way too many nights. We don't have the greatest team but when you pay a guy 6million+ dollars a year then should we not expect stellar play? It's the head scratching weak goals that he allows all to often and i'm not referring to 3 saves in a sequence when he is left out to dry, it's the goals on weak shots on the glove side or the momentum crippling goals or lack of saves in key times when we really need one. The series against the sens was ours if he played like he should have.

I ask you this question, when do we expect more from him? I have heard every excuse from his defenders, if we are such a poor team, then why not trade him to fill some of our weaknesses? The rest of the league considers him great, so lets trade him somewhere that gives us a couple mean defenseman and an average goalie. We will be a better team and he will be free from the pressures of this god awful place.

Old
09-17-2013, 06:04 PM
Mr_Lyle

Quote:

Look, I like Price. I really do. If the Habs could have any goalie in the league right now, I don't think I'd take anyone else. His age to skill ratio is phenomenal. Having said all that, and taking into account what you said about hockey being a team sport, he's still
not the best goalie in the league. Maybe one day, not now.

Mr_Lyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Just ask the Rangers...The King is amazing ( except when he plays the Habs ).
The King is amazing, but he also came to the NHL with quite a few games in the SEL under his belt

He was/is a lot more polished...he's 5 years older than Price is

Old
09-17-2013, 06:10 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Lyle View Post
Look, I like Price. I really do. If the Habs could have any goalie in the league right now, I don't think I'd take anyone else. His age to skill ratio is phenomenal. Having said all that, and taking into account what you said about hockey being a team sport, he's still
not the best goalie in the league. Maybe one day, not now.
I don't think no one, aside Sid as funny as it sounds, is trying to sell Price as the best goalie in the league here.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 06:12 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
The King is amazing, but he also came to the NHL with quite a few games in the SEL under his belt

He was/is a lot more polished...he's 5 years older than Price is
Absolutely, agreed...our board and gang are way too hard on Price, even Crosby thinks Price is the man!!

King Henrik doesn't even usually get to start vs the Habs anymore, he is just that bad when we play them...but Ranger fans still love the guy!!

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 06:14 PM
Habskrieg

People keep knocking on Price. No matter how good your goalie is, if the defense in front of you sucks, the goalie's going to look bad a lot. A lot of goals are going to look soft this way as well. Also, none of that goalie stealing a game crap, those are extremely difficult to pull off, even more so when again, the D sucks.

I don't blame him for losing confidence when the defense in front of you isn't something you can rely on. Just look at the defensive coverage of our team against the Sens last year during the playoffs. We never cleared Price's crease, there always was a Sens player there. Our players covered their opponents terribly, often leading to a free Sens scoring on us.

We all want Price to steal games when we need them. But you have to be realistic when the defensive game of our team is atrocious.

Anderson's a good goalie. But if you switched him and Price teams, Craig would be ran out of town while Price would look like a god.

Habskrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
Inconsistency is the word that best describes Carey Price, he just looks like his head is not in it on way too many nights. We don't have the greatest team but when you pay a guy 6million+ dollars a year then should we not expect stellar play? It's the head scratching weak goals that he allows all to often and i'm not referring to 3 saves in a sequence when he is left out to dry, it's the goals on weak shots on the glove side or the momentum crippling goals or lack of saves in key times when we really need one. The series against the sens was ours if he played like he should have.

I ask you this question, when do we expect more from him? I have heard every excuse from his defenders, if we are such a poor team, then why not trade him to fill some of our weaknesses? The rest of the league considers him great, so lets trade him somewhere that gives us a couple mean defenseman and an average goalie. We will be a better team and he will be free from the pressures of this god awful place.
When do we expect more from him? I just think the expectations of the goalie, from a fanbase point of view, has to be in line with the expectations of the team

I think that's just fair

Also, I don't see the point in trading for another goalie. As I said earlier, whomever plays goalie for this team will suffer the same pressures because of the history of success of it's predecessors

Price has THE toughest job in all of hockey...I can't emphasize this enough

Old
09-17-2013, 06:19 PM
Craig71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupmonger View Post
People keep knocking on Price. No matter how good your goalie is, if the defense in front of you sucks, the goalie's going to look bad a lot. A lot of goals are going to look soft this way as well. Also, none of that goalie stealing a game crap, those are extremely difficult to pull off, even more so when again, the D sucks.

I don't blame him for losing confidence when the defense in front of you isn't something you can rely on. Just look at the defensive coverage of our team against the Sens last year during the playoffs. We never cleared Price's crease, there always was a Sens player there. Our players covered their opponents terribly, often leading to a free Sens scoring on us.

We all want Price to steal games when we need them. But you have to be realistic when the defensive game of our team is atrocious.
Lets trade him for some good defenseman and a good d prospect. The Blues just re-signed Pietrangelo, lets do a swap and take Halak back just for fun, the Bell center will give Jaro a standing ovation.

Old
09-17-2013, 06:20 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
The matter of time is more a matter of elevating this team to contender status..
Indeed, as long as this team will be average, there is a limit at what a goaltender can do, as good as he is..

Quote:

Playing goalie for the Montreal Canadiens is literally the toughest job in hockey, it doesn't matter if it's Price, Fucale, Theo, Thibault, Huet, etc...

The voice of reason!! Congrat, great post.. Agree 100%.. The day Price will be fed up to get such undeserved hate and will leave, some people will realize how stupid they were to bash him and what it really is to have an average goaltender between the pipes..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 06:20 PM
Rosso Scuderia

Price for Malkin please.

Rosso Scuderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 06:21 PM
Craig71

Quote:
When do we expect more from him? I just think the expectations of the goalie, from a fanbase point of view, has to be in line with the expectations of the team

I think that's just fair

Also, I don't see the point in trading for another goalie. As I said earlier, whomever plays goalie for this team will suffer the same pressures because of the history of success of it's predecessors

Price has THE toughest job in all of hockey...I can't emphasize this enough
But if D is our problem and he is our greatest asset, whhy not trade him for the good of the team, address our lack of D and move on. I don't hate Price but I just dont see him as the player that embraces the pressure of Montreal and frankly I feel that the pressure here has gotten the best of him.

Old
09-17-2013, 06:25 PM
Craig71

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Indeed, as long as this team will be average, there is a limit at what a goaltender can do, as good as he is..

The voice of reason!! Congrat, great post.. Agree 100%.. The day Price will be fed up to get such undeserved hate and will leave, some people will realize how stupid they were to bash him and what it really is to have an average goaltender between the pipes..
I don't hate him but see him as a way to better the team, is'nt that the goal of proffessional sport? To make teams better by using assets to do so, we are lacking on defense, so lets trade him for some quality D and move on.