HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs Cuts (28th: Dumont clears waivers)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-17-2013, 06:33 PM
  #301
Craig71
Registered User
 
Craig71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Hell of a great post.
I did'nt mean to be harsh on the kid but after 35years of watching the NHL and mostly the Habs, I did not jump off my chair when this kid was on the ice. I am a habs fan but I am not biased and blind just because he wore our jersey, there are way better players sitting without a contract with lots of NHL experience.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 06:33 PM
  #302
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 11,237
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
It's pretty clear that LL, like Eller last year is in an unfavorable position with the team. He will have to play lights out like Eller to get some recognition from that management. Man, I despise MB and MT
That's kind of what management wants from their players.......to play lights out.

Leblanc gets a taste of the NHL two years ago and then his game goes to ****. Leblanc feels as if he "deserves" to be in the NHL since he was called up.

That's not how it works. The AHL/ECHL/CHL is littered with players who had their moment in the sun but could not sustain the level of play that it takes to stay in the NHL.

He's not the first nor will he be the last. It's all on Leblanc to prove that he belongs in Montreal........hurt feelings and all.

On an aside, "Hat Trick" Crisp did not even get one game. Wonder if he is upset or if he is preparing to improve his game......

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 06:51 PM
  #303
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 11,237
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
It's not about adversity at all it's about flat out preference to another athlete. Ive always been a big mouth kind of guy when it comes to sports, if something doesn't work I tell them. They didn't like how I practiced, yet I averaged a sack a game and about ten tackles ... Far and beyond of anyone else on my team, yet they gave the playing time to some guy who ran a 40 yard in 5.5 secs and couldn't even finish the 3 cone in time... I bet Louis feels the same and I understand him.
High school hero and now a message board poster.

What does that tell you?

There are a LOT of talented players out there who have positive attitudes and are team players.

With that said, I would have loved to have you playing for the Packers. I would be your fan.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 06:54 PM
  #304
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 25,057
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
That's kind of what management wants from their players.......to play lights out.

Leblanc gets a taste of the NHL two years ago and then his game goes to ****. Leblanc feels as if he "deserves" to be in the NHL since he was called up.

That's not how it works. The AHL/ECHL/CHL is littered with players who had their moment in the sun but could not sustain the level of play that it takes to stay in the NHL.

He's not the first nor will he be the last. It's all on Leblanc to prove that he belongs in Montreal........hurt feelings and all.

On an aside, "Hat Trick" Crisp did not even get one game. Wonder if he is upset or if he is preparing to improve his game......
You have to stop with all the hearsay BS.

You said the same thing last summer about PK. How he was selfish, bigger than the team, and all the other negative hearsay BS spewed out by media only.


I seriously doubt LL felt he deserves a spot just because. But did he have to be cut ahead of others like Blunden? You want him to go back down and burn the AHL? Fine. I'm sure he wants to as well.
But I also know that if I care about a specific player, that I truly see as a part of my plan in the not so distant future (meaning this year), then I will keep him for as long as I can in order to show him exactly what he needs to work on and teach him as much as I can before having to send him down.
That's why others like Thomas, Big Mac, Collberg, are kept here. That's why MaxPac was kept here until the last day before we sent him down as well a few years ago.

I personally thought LL-Thomas-Collberg were going to fight for a spot due to injuries. I thought all three are likely to stay till last day of camp. Now, from what I've seen thus far in camp, Thomas and LL have had similar performances imo. Collberg has shown the least but coming from Europe and injury is understandable.

In any event, stop believing all these attitude BS reasons spewed out by the media.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 07:30 PM
  #305
Grant McCagg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,553
vCash: 500
We all rely on past experience to make decisions - and this is no different.

Montreal's GM has first-hand experience in knowing what it's like to have a taste of the NHL before facing demotion. Bergevin played in the NHL for four seasons right out of junior hockey before being sent down to the AHL. Over the next three seasons he would bounce back and forth between the AHL and NHL....but then would play 13 more seasons without having to revisit the minors.

Bergy knows the feeling even moreso than Leblanc...Bergy can reflect back and realize that he had to pay his dues and had some things to work on in the minors. It made him a better player, and a better person.

We have a tendency to coddle today's athlete - give them far too many breaks and chances. Bergy isn't that type of GM, nor is Duds. They are from the old school, and frankly I like that fact. Nothing was handed to them, and they expect the same of their players.

Louis has been challenged to get better, and as stated last night, all indications are that he will react positively to this as he's renowned for his high character. He underachieved last season, and the club is telling him in no uncertain terms that it is unacceptable.

When the Habs had great teams - it was extremely rare for Hab prospects to make the jump directly to the NHL - they often spent at least two season in Nova Scotia before even getting a sniff..sometimes they got no opportunity at all. That system worked fine.

Detroit has employed that system the past couple of decades....rare for a player to crack Detroit without significant seasoning in the minors...and they have been the top organization in the league the past two decades. If the player can't deal with it and sulks...trade his azz. Bergy doesn't think Louis will sulk though...he thinks he'll react just as he did when he was sent to the minors at 24....he'll work hard and get back to the show, and be a better player for it.


Last edited by Grant McCagg: 09-17-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Grant McCagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 07:31 PM
  #306
Mercury10
Registered User
 
Mercury10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Vernon, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 69
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysmo View Post
I think this could be pretty much true. With Louis, he played a solid game and I'm sure they will make that clear to him. But, he was never going to make the Habs for October 1st. There just isn't any room. The Habs know what they have in Louis and don't need to take up a spot in the line-up with him in another pre-season game.

With Thomas, he's played one game in the Habs organization and it's perfectly reasonable that they want to see more of him because they aren't as familiar with him as Leblanc. That's the way I see it anyway.
Quit trying to make perfect sense of this.

Mercury10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 07:39 PM
  #307
Habbadasher
Registered User
 
Habbadasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: My couch
Country: Germany
Posts: 1,680
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post

Detroit has employed that system the past couple of decades....rare for a player to crack Detroit without significant seasoning in the minors...and they have been the top organization in the league the past two decades. If the player can't deal with it and sulks...trade his azz. Bergy doesn't think Louis will sulk though...he thinks he'll react just as he did when he was sent to the minors at 24....he'll work hard and get back to the show, and be a better player for it.
Thank you again for your insight.

You must be getting tired of us passionate fans.

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 07:43 PM
  #308
Mrb1p
Registered User
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
High school hero and now a message board poster.

What does that tell you?

There are a LOT of talented players out there who have positive attitudes and are team players.

With that said, I would have loved to have you playing for the Packers. I would be your fan.
Actually, I was kinda forced to stop... Concussions you know.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 07:59 PM
  #309
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 11,237
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
You have to stop with all the hearsay BS.

You said the same thing last summer about PK. How he was selfish, bigger than the team, and all the other negative hearsay BS spewed out by media only.


I seriously doubt LL felt he deserves a spot just because. But did he have to be cut ahead of others like Blunden? You want him to go back down and burn the AHL? Fine. I'm sure he wants to as well.
But I also know that if I care about a specific player, that I truly see as a part of my plan in the not so distant future (meaning this year), then I will keep him for as long as I can in order to show him exactly what he needs to work on and teach him as much as I can before having to send him down.
That's why others like Thomas, Big Mac, Collberg, are kept here. That's why MaxPac was kept here until the last day before we sent him down as well a few years ago.

I personally thought LL-Thomas-Collberg were going to fight for a spot due to injuries. I thought all three are likely to stay till last day of camp. Now, from what I've seen thus far in camp, Thomas and LL have had similar performances imo. Collberg has shown the least but coming from Europe and injury is understandable.

In any event, stop believing all these attitude BS reasons spewed out by the media.
Kriss. I live too far away from Montreal to pay attention to the media and I seldom visit any of the Montreal media websites.

So that strawman just burned to the ground.

All I am basing my opinion on is that Leblanc is the only Habs player to be *****ing about being cut (that tweet reveals a lot about his mentality right now).

Thomas will be cut, so will Collberg, so will Blunden (although he may be a press box player). The only two worthy of keeping around are the ones who have to clear waivers along with Bournival and McCarron. Bournival for his scoring (goals........not assists) and Mac for obvious reasons (although I hope he gets a year in the O under his belt).

And I stand by what I said about Subban last year. If you cannot settle your contract before the season begins, yes, you are putting yourself ahead of the team.

Subban bounced back pretty good once he accepted reality. We will see if Leblanc can as well.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 08:01 PM
  #310
S Bah
Registered User
 
S Bah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: victoria bc
Country: Wales
Posts: 5,530
vCash: 500
Looking from a bosses point of view, it appears that somehow LL's feelings are viewed in the public but not by him personally. His girlfriend's twitter acct. comes out swinging, rings of childish spoiled brat syndrome from where I'm sitting.

Being 58 yrs. young and having 6 grandchildren, two that are teenage girls, I have my finger on the pulse so to speak. That said, possibly people closer to the situation have made the same read or conclusion that I deduced. Merely the thoughts of who/what/where/how it doesn't jibe the GM puts himself in a light like this for what reason.

Time to move on maybe instead of handling this case with aplomb, now it's rearing it's ugly head once again. Patience can be a great tool, possibly that's wearing thin, what these young players need remember is the choice isn't theirs to contradict.

Adults in business don't get to be GM's by being naive and childish pranks are certainly not lost on Bergevin, just a guess. Take some advice LL go back and work like your life depends on it, don't blink, wince or any other form of rebelling, cause as a boss with a sense of humor, I'm likely to let the air out of your balloon.

S Bah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 08:01 PM
  #311
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 49,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
We all rely on past experience to make decisions - and this is no different.

Montreal's GM has first-hand experience in knowing what it's like to have a taste of the NHL before facing demotion. Bergevin played in the NHL for four seasons right out of junior hockey before being sent down to the AHL. Over the next three seasons he would bounce back and forth between the AHL and NHL....but then would play 13 more seasons without having to revisit the minors.

Bergy knows the feeling even moreso than Leblanc...Bergy can reflect back and realize that he had to pay his dues and had some things to work on in the minors. It made him a better player, and a better person.

We have a tendency to coddle today's athlete - give them far too many breaks and chances. Bergy isn't that type of GM, nor is Duds. They are from the old school, and frankly I like that fact. Nothing was handed to them, and they expect the same of their players.

Louis has been challenged to get better, and as stated last night, all indications are that he will react positively to this as he's renowned for his high character. He underachieved last season, and the club is telling him in no uncertain terms that it is unacceptable.

When the Habs had great teams - it was extremely rare for Hab prospects to make the jump directly to the NHL - they often spent at least two season in Nova Scotia before even getting a sniff..sometimes they got no opportunity at all. That system worked fine.

Detroit has employed that system the past couple of decades....rare for a player to crack Detroit without significant seasoning in the minors...and they have been the top organization in the league the past two decades. If the player can't deal with it and sulks...trade his azz. Bergy doesn't think Louis will sulk though...he thinks he'll react just as he did when he was sent to the minors at 24....he'll work hard and get back to the show, and be a better player for it.
Great post. Yet, what you're saying is that last year counts a whole lot. And that's what I'm reading. Yet, what if he does great in this preseason? You still make a statement and make last year count more than this very preseason? If not, well you need to give some games to see what kind of preseason he will be giving you.

Of course, nobody wants to lose. But I guess it's also to be a human being to give more chances to people you feel more closely to than not. Surely one of the big reasons why Thomas is still in this camp and not Leblanc. Pretty sure that as a GM, even if the plan is long term and that there were "other" reasons for a trade, that you don't like to look stupid. And since nobody is in the inside, if that trade looks bad, he will look bad. So he gives Thomas all the chances in the world. Is it really because he deserves it more based on what we're seeing right now?

In the end, the cuts themselves are not the problem. The timing of it, a little more. I thought Leblanc was punished enough with his lack of playing time last year, with all the drama that happened when it was known that Leblanc was at an all-time low....I didn't think that sending him soon in preseason was in the cards to, again, test his limits. I hope it's just that, I don't think trading him will make much sense for the value he has compared to what he could be giving to his new team. My way of seeing things though is that if a player can give something to his new team....I will always believe that he can give the same thing to his original team...And I personnally don't think that this organization for quite some time now has been the greatest at elevating the confidence of their young players.


Last edited by Whitesnake: 09-17-2013 at 08:23 PM.
Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 08:02 PM
  #312
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 11,237
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Actually, I was kinda forced to stop... Concussions you know.
Damned leather helmets........

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 08:07 PM
  #313
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 11,237
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Great post. Yet, what you're saying is that last year counts a whole lot. And that's what I'm reading. Yet, what if he does great in this preseason? You still make a statement and make last year count more than this very preseason? If not, well you need to give some games to see what kind of preseason he will be giving you.

Of course, nobody wants to lose. But I guess it's also to be a human being to give more chances to people you feel more closely to than not. Surely one of the big reasons why Thomas is still in this camp and not Leblanc. Pretty sure that as a GM, even if the plan is long term and that there were "other" reasons for a trade, that you don't like to look stupid. And since nobody is in the inside, if that trade looks bad, he will look bad. So he gives Thomas all the chances in the world. Is it really because he deserves it more?

In the end, the cuts themselves are not the problem. The timing of it, a little more. I thought Leblanc was punished enough with his lack of playing time last year, with all the drama that happened when it was known that Leblanc was at an all-time low....I didn't think that sending him soon in preseason was in the cards to, again, test his limits. I hope it's just that, I don't think trading him will make much sense for the value he has compared to what he could be giving to his new team. My way of seeing things though is that if a player can give something to his new team....I will always believe that he can give the same thing to his original team...
The timing has become the new meme.

Timing is irrelevant. Timing is an excuse. Not making the Habs regular season roster was inevitable regarding Leblanc and others who have been cut and will be cut.

If Leblanc truly is upset about the timing of his cut, he does have to work on his maturity. I hope he does.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 08:14 PM
  #314
S Bah
Registered User
 
S Bah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: victoria bc
Country: Wales
Posts: 5,530
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Great post. Yet, what you're saying is that last year counts a whole lot. And that's what I'm reading. Yet, what if he does great in this preseason? You still make a statement and make last year count more than this very preseason? If not, well you need to give some games to see what kind of preseason he will be giving you.

Of course, nobody wants to lose. But I guess it's also to be a human being to give more chances to people you feel more closely to than not. Surely one of the big reasons why Thomas is still in this camp and not Leblanc. Pretty sure that as a GM, even if the plan is long term and that there were "other" reasons for a trade, that you don't like to look stupid. And since nobody is in the inside, if that trade looks bad, he will look bad. So he gives Thomas all the chances in the world. Is it really because he deserves it more?

In the end, the cuts themselves are not the problem. The timing of it, a little more. I thought Leblanc was punished enough with his lack of playing time last year, with all the drama that happened when it was known that Leblanc was at an all-time low....I didn't think that sending him soon in preseason was in the cards to, again, test his limits. I hope it's just that, I don't think trading him will make much sense for the value he has compared to what he could be giving to his new team. My way of seeing things though is that if a player can give something to his new team....I will always believe that he can give the same thing to his original team...
Hey Whitesnake I see your points, not that I can agree with them and it's highly unlikely that Bergevin's plan is to keep Thomas in camp over a bad trade and really? I'm having a hard time typing while laughing so hard, tears running down my face. I'll have to get back to this one later.sorry.

S Bah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 08:16 PM
  #315
Grant McCagg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Great post. Yet, what you're saying is that last year counts a whole lot. And that's what I'm reading. Yet, what if he does great in this preseason? You still make a statement and make last year count more than this very preseason? If not, well you need to give some games to see what kind of preseason he will be giving you.

Of course, nobody wants to lose. But I guess it's also to be a human being to give more chances to people you feel more closely to than not. Surely one of the big reasons why Thomas is still in this camp and not Leblanc. Pretty sure that as a GM, even if the plan is long term and that there were "other" reasons for a trade, that you don't like to look stupid. And since nobody is in the inside, if that trade looks bad, he will look bad. So he gives Thomas all the chances in the world. Is it really because he deserves it more?

In the end, the cuts themselves are not the problem. The timing of it, a little more. I thought Leblanc was punished enough with his lack of playing time last year, with all the drama that happened when it was known that Leblanc was at an all-time low....I didn't think that sending him soon in preseason was in the cards to, again, test his limits. I hope it's just that, I don't think trading him will make much sense for the value he has compared to what he could be giving to his new team. My way of seeing things though is that if a player can give something to his new team....I will always believe that he can give the same thing to his original team...

They were sending a message with the early cut - and I don't disagree with it upon further reflection. He did not produce last season so he was not rewarded in training camp. Again - it's not like he was dominating training camp...he looked better, and that's great, but if you ask me he has been outplayed by an 18-year-old for one. Did McCarron not bring more to the club in his game than Leblanc? I thought he did.

They want him to play... a lot..and develop. There was no spot for him out of training camp..they don't want him to be the 13th forward..not at his stage in his development.

The word on him out in his draft year was that he was ultra competitive..the club didn't see that nearly as much as they wanted to last season - they are trying to light a fire under his butt by sending him to Hamilton with the first round of cuts. Yes they could have waited and made him feel more "comfortable", but that wasn't the goal. They want him to want it..badly. They want him to display that fiery competitiveness that made him a top 20 pick in the first place.

as for the Thomas trade being brought up for the umpteenth time....again....the club knows Leblanc a heckuva lot better than Thomas for one...they want to take a long look at him. To assume he's still there merely because the GM wants to look good is silly. Thomas brings a power play dimension that Leblanc doesn't have at this point - a lethal shot. Was Ryder an all around player? No - but he was valuable as a power play guy, and with Gio out of the lineup and Ryder gone, the club needs someone who can pop some goals on the PP - it has become such an important part of a winning hockey team. With Gio out - Thomas is a better fit to start the season in Montreal - at least that's the thinking. You are welcome to disagree with it...but let's not try to ignore the reasoning and merely criticize everything about Thomas because your fave was traded.

BTW- keeping on the last year theme as you keep bringing it up - Thomas scored more goals than Leblanc had points last year..and it was his rookie season in the AHL. Thomas scored 54 goals in the tougher OHL at 18 while Leblanc scored 26 in the Q at 19. I think it's been rightly determined that Thomas is a better goal scorer, and that's what the team is looking for on the PP. He had a solid team scrimmage and has looked good in camp...why exactly should he have been sent down..because you didn't like a trade? Bergy isn't the one acting illogically. :-)


Last edited by Grant McCagg: 09-17-2013 at 08:30 PM.
Grant McCagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 08:17 PM
  #316
BlackStar
Registered User
 
BlackStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,319
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habbadasher View Post
Thank you again for your insight.

You must be getting tired of us passionate fans.
Sorry, but if I may speak for him here, that's the wrong word. This board is not full of passionate fans, it's fool of foolishness.

It is possible to be both passionate and wise.

I am not saying you are one the unwise fans btw. I am just tired of overly emotional, and crybaby Habs fans mistaking their nonsense for passion.

BlackStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 09:06 PM
  #317
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 49,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
The timing has become the new meme.

Timing is irrelevant. Timing is an excuse. Not making the Habs regular season roster was inevitable regarding Leblanc and others who have been cut and will be cut.

If Leblanc truly is upset about the timing of his cut, he does have to work on his maturity. I hope he does.
Timing is irrelevant? Last time I checked, first guys send home are the ones who are either not doing it whatsoever or the guys that have a bright future but should get back to Juniors to get it going as the season starts. Then, there's the first REAL cuts. So from guys aren't just doing too great to other junior players that survived the first cuts from their good play. So the timing says it all. Says that they were unsatisfied with him and frankly based on the Bruins game or even the one before, Leblanc did not deserve to go at the same time that some who weren't even good enough to play one single preseason. Yes, he will survived from this. Just that RIGHT NOW, I would have love to see being tested more. To see him with even more NHL regulars in the lineup....on a real line. Like Thomas had the pleasure to be in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
They were sending a message with the early cut - and I don't disagree with it upon further reflection. He did not produce last season so he was not rewarded in training camp. Again - it's not like he was dominating training camp...he looked better, and that's great, but if you ask me he has been outplayed by an 18-year-old for one. Did McCarron not bring more to the club in his game than Leblanc? I thought he did.
Big Mac did. You know what I think of Big Mac so no need to go there. Kid is a gem. People are truly underrating his abilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
They want him to play... a lot..and develop. There was no spot for him out of training camp..they don't want him to be the 13th forward..not at his stage in his development.
No problem to see him being cut. Just the timing of it. I would have love to see a minimum of 3 games at least to have the possibility to have my own opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
The word on him out in his draft year was that he was ultra competitive..the club didn't see that nearly as much as they wanted to last season - they are trying to light a fire under his butt by sending him to Hamilton with the first round of cuts. Yes they could have waited and made him feel more "comfortable", but that wasn't the goal. They want him to want it..badly. They want him to display that fiery competitiveness that made him a top 20 pick in the first place.
Let's hope it was what was needed to see that happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
as for the Thomas trade being brought up for the umpteenth time....again....the club knows Leblanc a heckuva lot better than Thomas for one...they want to take a long look at him. To assume he's still there merely because the GM wants to look good is silly. Thomas brings a power play dimension that Leblanc doesn't have at this point - a lethal shot. Was Ryder an all around player? No - but he was valuable as a power play guy, and with Gio out of the lineup and Ryder gone, the club needs someone who can pop some goals on the PP - it has become such an important part of a winning hockey team. With Gio out - Thomas is a better fit to start the season in Montreal - at least that's the thinking. You are welcome to disagree with it...but let's not try to ignore the reasoning and merely criticize everything about Thomas because your fave was traded.
Well "my fave" ALSO brought all that..... Again, I was against the trade but while it doesn't show lately, I also wrote that I liked Thomas which made me not be completely out of my mind. Still now, hearing about the good reports with Kristo makes me sad to say the least as I had tons of confidence in him....yet, for him as well, still ways to go, everybody remembers the Alexander Suglobov story....the future Maple Leafs superstar based on an incredible preseason...we all know how it ended....As far as to think that a GM wants to look good is silly...well I stand with my silly points. A GM and a coach will always want to see their decisions look good. If they took that decision, it's because they think it's the best and they see a particular player a certain way. So they'll use them a lot to see if they really can achieve what they had in mind for the said player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
BTW- keeping on the last year theme as you keep bringing it up - Thomas scored more goals than Leblanc had points last year..and it was his rookie season in the AHL. Thomas scored 54 goals in the tougher OHL at 18 while Leblanc scored 26 in the Q at 19. I think it's been rightly determined that Thomas is a better goal scorer, and that's what the team is looking for on the PP. He had a solid team scrimmage and has looked good in camp...why exactly should he have been sent down..because you didn't like a trade? Bergy isn't the one acting illogically. :-)
Don't worry, I don't proclaim myself as Master logical all the time, still a fan, always will be. Yet, you are also amongst the ones who keep bringing the "draft rank" as one of the reasons why management put emphasis on players. One of the reason why we got Thomas for Kristo was that we got a better draft rank guy. Well, we still can't forget that Leblanc is a 1st rounder. Personnally, I don't totally believe in that draft rank guys as if in 2 years, you determine that your 5th round pick ends up being better than your 2nd, well you give the chance to the guy who happens to be the better player no matter the rank....but 1st round? Where you mostly determine those guys as possible game changers? You give all the chances in the world and then some. Your description of Leblanc sometimes makes me feel like we're again talking about a disruptive kid la "my fave" Kristo. Possible that Leblanc isn't the most driven kid. That lighting a fire might not be as easy as they thought. Takes every types of people to make a team. Also possible that all he needs is more confidence. I will always believe that people underestimate the power of confidence.

As far as stats are concerned, well again, you determined that last year counts a whole lot and with you coming back with those stats, you just point out that it is important. Fine. But for a scorer, I don't think Thomas has shown those things enough. I saw a Thomas that lacked vision in the game he played in. Shooting a whole lot without really exploring his options and not really getting great scoring chances. But in the end, if it's a top 6 spot that they're thinking with him, fine. If that would have been the conclusion at the end, fine, I would have had no problem with Thomas beating Leblanc towards the end of it....Just that being cut so early, for me, makes me think that he was indeed starting with 2 strikes against him and had to be dominating to not make them change his mind. Personnally, I do not think it's fair but hey...life isn't.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 09:08 PM
  #318
Dekar
Registered User
 
Dekar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bound Kingdom
Posts: 5,252
vCash: 500
By the looks of who was cut, I'd say the people they cut were the ones they didn't need to see more of to know what their level of play is, because it was probably consistent throughout camp so far. To me, Leblanc being sent down after playing solidly during camp means they're confident that he's ready to be one of the first injury call-ups. The rest of the roster is either roster spots or players they want to evaluate some more.

Dekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 09:49 PM
  #319
Lionel Mandrake
Generic user
 
Lionel Mandrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: In the shadows
Country: Canada
Posts: 337
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
They were sending a message with the early cut - and I don't disagree with it upon further reflection. He did not produce last season so he was not rewarded in training camp. Again - it's not like he was dominating training camp...he looked better, and that's great, but if you ask me he has been outplayed by an 18-year-old for one. Did McCarron not bring more to the club in his game than Leblanc? I thought he did.

They want him to play... a lot..and develop. There was no spot for him out of training camp..they don't want him to be the 13th forward..not at his stage in his development.

The word on him out in his draft year was that he was ultra competitive..the club didn't see that nearly as much as they wanted to last season - they are trying to light a fire under his butt by sending him to Hamilton with the first round of cuts. Yes they could have waited and made him feel more "comfortable", but that wasn't the goal. They want him to want it..badly. They want him to display that fiery competitiveness that made him a top 20 pick in the first place.

as for the Thomas trade being brought up for the umpteenth time....again....the club knows Leblanc a heckuva lot better than Thomas for one...they want to take a long look at him. To assume he's still there merely because the GM wants to look good is silly. Thomas brings a power play dimension that Leblanc doesn't have at this point - a lethal shot. Was Ryder an all around player? No - but he was valuable as a power play guy, and with Gio out of the lineup and Ryder gone, the club needs someone who can pop some goals on the PP - it has become such an important part of a winning hockey team. With Gio out - Thomas is a better fit to start the season in Montreal - at least that's the thinking. You are welcome to disagree with it...but let's not try to ignore the reasoning and merely criticize everything about Thomas because your fave was traded.

BTW- keeping on the last year theme as you keep bringing it up - Thomas scored more goals than Leblanc had points last year..and it was his rookie season in the AHL. Thomas scored 54 goals in the tougher OHL at 18 while Leblanc scored 26 in the Q at 19. I think it's been rightly determined that Thomas is a better goal scorer, and that's what the team is looking for on the PP. He had a solid team scrimmage and has looked good in camp...why exactly should he have been sent down..because you didn't like a trade? Bergy isn't the one acting illogically. :-)
Great reasoning. I really like the balance and lucidity you bring to this board Grant.

Also regarding Louis, it would be wise for him to figure out that chances to make the lineup are going to be tenfold what they were at training camp later during the season. We all know it'll take some solid if not downright impressive performance to force the hand of the GM into removing a vet now in order to make permanent room for a youngster. But, when some start to falter, have disapointing years (as some always do) or get injured, the prospect shinning the brightest at that very moment will get a much better chance than now to shuffle the cards. Leblanc has to be smart here and leave the horrible gut feeling at the door. It's counterproductive and any conclusion based on it probably false.

Lionel Mandrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 09:53 PM
  #320
Mrb1p
Registered User
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Damned leather helmets........
Sadly hard helmets hurt even more

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 11:19 PM
  #321
ScherbakAttack
Registered User
 
ScherbakAttack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,545
vCash: 500
What mostly pisses me off about this situation is how it's completely fabricated by RDS. They are so venomous in how they approached this entire story, their articles focusing almost entirely on him ("Leblanc & others cut" followed by a bunch of other Leblanc articles)... can't entirely blame his girlfriend for getting caught up in the atmosphere a bit.

They could've picked any of the cut players and suddenly decided to make a huge deal about it and put out 5 articles about that player in 1 day, and we would instead be talking about that player being cut possibly early instead.

I have nothing against Leblanc but I'd rather the organization take a longer look at our new draftees and acquisitions first (while giving some playing time to our actual starters) than older minor players that we are already familiar with.

ScherbakAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 11:25 PM
  #322
HCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The Wild West
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,744
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Great post. Yet, what you're saying is that last year counts a whole lot. And that's what I'm reading. Yet, what if he does great in this preseason? You still make a statement and make last year count more than this very preseason? If not, well you need to give some games to see what kind of preseason he will be giving you.

Of course, nobody wants to lose. But I guess it's also to be a human being to give more chances to people you feel more closely to than not. Surely one of the big reasons why Thomas is still in this camp and not Leblanc. Pretty sure that as a GM, even if the plan is long term and that there were "other" reasons for a trade, that you don't like to look stupid. And since nobody is in the inside, if that trade looks bad, he will look bad. So he gives Thomas all the chances in the world. Is it really because he deserves it more based on what we're seeing right now?
You're making it personal and I doubt that it is. In the end the GM is judged by how well the team does and not how well "his boys" do. You can do better than that

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 11:44 PM
  #323
durojean
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 951
vCash: 500
For me Leblanc was impressive in those games playing with scrubs.

Timing didn't help Leblanc but the fact that he went from 3rd line nhl to 3rd line ahl to start the season last year help making him look bad.

durojean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 11:55 PM
  #324
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 25,057
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Kriss. I live too far away from Montreal to pay attention to the media and I seldom visit any of the Montreal media websites.

So that strawman just burned to the ground.

All I am basing my opinion on is that Leblanc is the only Habs player to be *****ing about being cut (that tweet reveals a lot about his mentality right now).

Thomas will be cut, so will Collberg, so will Blunden (although he may be a press box player). The only two worthy of keeping around are the ones who have to clear waivers along with Bournival and McCarron. Bournival for his scoring (goals........not assists) and Mac for obvious reasons (although I hope he gets a year in the O under his belt).

And I stand by what I said about Subban last year. If you cannot settle your contract before the season begins, yes, you are putting yourself ahead of the team.

Subban bounced back pretty good once he accepted reality. We will see if Leblanc can as well.
You don't need to live in Mtl to know what the media is spewing out. Everything is repeated and shown right here on this board, that you visit, I'd say pretty much daily. So you know exactly what's spewed out by the media.

The tweet came from his girlfriend, and she probably knows a lot more about the situation than any of us. But just like last year you were against PK and behind management, you're doing the same thing here. Not that I think her whining was smart, it's a PR no-no, but that doesn't mean she was wrong.

You are being completely stubborn about PK, and at this point, it's very foolish. You know better. It was explained to you over and over again. I don't know how you can stand by your idea that PK was being selfish when the FACT is Bergevin was offering a contract well below value. Not sure how you can call anyone selfish because they don't want to work for below value, and the failure to sign your star player is just as much on management, especially considering they could have signed him before the lockout.
If anything you are the one that's being selfish and childish in completely disregarding the facts.

You're simply refusing to admit you were clearly wrong. How anybody can question PK's character and team first attitude is a huge mystery to me.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 12:16 AM
  #325
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 25,057
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
They were sending a message with the early cut - and I don't disagree with it upon further reflection. He did not produce last season so he was not rewarded in training camp. Again - it's not like he was dominating training camp...he looked better, and that's great, but if you ask me he has been outplayed by an 18-year-old for one. Did McCarron not bring more to the club in his game than Leblanc? I thought he did.
I thought LL had a pretty good camp and he didn't seem intimidated nor did he back down from Lucic. His line was matched to Krejci's, which is a much tougher assignment than what McCarron got.
Leblanc struggled last year, everybody knows that. But he didn't come into camp in bad shape, he bulked up, and was having a good camp. So really, there was no need to cut him this early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
They want him to play... a lot..and develop. There was no spot for him out of training camp..they don't want him to be the 13th forward..not at his stage in his development.
That doesn't mean you have to send him down this early. Especially when others that remained here haven't had better camps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
The word on him out in his draft year was that he was ultra competitive..the club didn't see that nearly as much as they wanted to last season - they are trying to light a fire under his butt by sending him to Hamilton with the first round of cuts. Yes they could have waited and made him feel more "comfortable", but that wasn't the goal. They want him to want it..badly. They want him to display that fiery competitiveness that made him a top 20 pick in the first place.
Well, I think keeping him until the end so he can almost have a taste of it will light a fire under him just as much.
I also think evaluating him by making him on what would be our 4th line while matching him versus Boston's top line isn't stacking the odds on his side.
However, he still did well in his game. He gets rewarded by an early cut.
Not sure if that's how I'd go about lighting a fire under him. Even MaxPac got to stay until the last game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
as for the Thomas trade being brought up for the umpteenth time....again....the club knows Leblanc a heckuva lot better than Thomas for one...they want to take a long look at him. To assume he's still there merely because the GM wants to look good is silly. Thomas brings a power play dimension that Leblanc doesn't have at this point - a lethal shot. Was Ryder an all around player? No - but he was valuable as a power play guy, and with Gio out of the lineup and Ryder gone, the club needs someone who can pop some goals on the PP - it has become such an important part of a winning hockey team. With Gio out - Thomas is a better fit to start the season in Montreal - at least that's the thinking. You are welcome to disagree with it...but let's not try to ignore the reasoning and merely criticize everything about Thomas because your fave was traded.
Plekanec-Galla-Gally-Eller-DD-MaxPac-Briere-Bourque, we have more than enough players up front that can go on the PP with Gionta out. Matter of fact, they should all be ahead of Thomas to play there.
I agree, he's here because they want a better look at him and they've never worked with him. He's been a better goal scorer than LL, but that's not a reason why he should stay here and LL cut. Could have kept both and get an internal competition going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
BTW- keeping on the last year theme as you keep bringing it up - Thomas scored more goals than Leblanc had points last year..and it was his rookie season in the AHL. Thomas scored 54 goals in the tougher OHL at 18 while Leblanc scored 26 in the Q at 19. I think it's been rightly determined that Thomas is a better goal scorer, and that's what the team is looking for on the PP. He had a solid team scrimmage and has looked good in camp...why exactly should he have been sent down..because you didn't like a trade? Bergy isn't the one acting illogically. :-)
I don't think Thomas should have been sent down. He's had a good camp and isn't far from the NHL imo. I want to see him get more opportunities and game time in. Same applies for LL.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:58 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.