HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Crosby proclaims Price the best goalie in the league.

Old
09-17-2013, 05:25 PM
Habs

vCash: 500
I guess Sid doesn't ever shoot at Price's glove?

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Lyle View Post
Look, I like Price. I really do. If the Habs could have any goalie in the league right now, I don't think I'd take anyone else. His age to skill ratio is phenomenal. Having said all that, and taking into account what you said about hockey being a team sport, he's still
not the best goalie in the league. Maybe one day, not now.
I don't think it matters nor do I care for him to be the best goalie in the league

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 05:43 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
But if D is our problem and he is our greatest asset, whhy not trade him for the good of the team, address our lack of D and move on. I don't hate Price but I just dont see him as the player that embraces the pressure of Montreal and frankly I feel that the pressure here has gotten the best of him.
If you think you can make this team a contender by trading, you're wrong.

Only one thing will make this team a contender and that is time.

This team as so many holes, its ridiculous.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 05:44 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Price is consistently ranked among the best goalies by opposing coaches and players.

He's not perfect, he shat the bed at the end of last season but he's a great goalie who's one of the few who can log 70 games. There's no doubt that we need to do a whole lot more to protect him and if we did this we'd see better results.

That being said, when Price goes bad he goes rancid. I really hope we don't see another crazy bad streak from him again this year. Bad defense or not he let in some terrible goals at the end of the year last season.

I hope he has a good year and I hope he represents Canada at the Olympics.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:
But if D is our problem and he is our greatest asset, whhy not trade him for the good of the team, address our lack of D and move on. I don't hate Price but I just dont see him as the player that embraces the pressure of Montreal and frankly I feel that the pressure here has gotten the best of him.
I don't see how trading him solves anything...

Whoever steps in his shoes will have even MORE pressure...cause he'll have to live in the shadow of all the past great goalies who have played here AND, play in the shadow of Price.

This team is in transition...Price is one of the building blocks. trading him makes little sense on every level IMO

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 06:01 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
I guess Sid doesn't ever shoot at Price's glove?
Nope, go see our 0-1 loss to pittsburgh last year.

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 06:02 PM
76ftw

vCash: 50
Crosby's right like usual.

76ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 06:05 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Inconsistency is the word that best describes Carey Price, he just looks like his head is not in it on way too many nights. We don't have the greatest team but when you pay a guy 6million+ dollars a year then should we not expect stellar play? It's the head scratching weak goals that he allows all to often and i'm not referring to 3 saves in a sequence when he is left out to dry, it's the goals on weak shots on the glove side or the momentum crippling goals or lack of saves in key times when we really need one. The series against the sens was ours if he played like he should have.

I ask you this question, when do we expect more from him? I have heard every excuse from his defenders, if we are such a poor team, then why not trade him to fill some of our weaknesses? The rest of the league considers him great, so lets trade him somewhere that gives us a couple mean defenseman and an average goalie. We will be a better team and he will be free from the pressures of this god awful place.
We worked harder than the Sens and should have deserved better based on effort only, but the reality is that the Sens had a better structure in front of Anderson, thats it.. We lost that serie when Eller got crushed, our depth suffered alot and we made some glaring mistakes the Sens werent making.. I recall a goal where Tinordi gave too much space and time to Silverberg to snipe it in the net from the slot screening the shot at the same time.. That goal summarize the whole serie to me, we didnt give alot of scoring chances but some mistakes and failure in the structure turned in some silver plate opportunities for the Sens..

The lack of consistency you are reffering to Price is exactly what this team was about after we lost Emelin, the D core has never been the same and we really reached a low at the end of the season, the whole team was playing like crap, especially the D core.. Therrien did a great job to regroup his guys for the playoffs but the depth was already fragile on D, losing Eller just killed our chances to win that serie... blame Price as much as you want but you dont have the good target my friend, sometimes you are just not destined to win and thats what happened last year..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 06:10 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Well everybody is human. Even Crosby can be wrong...

Not sure that says or prooves anything. If Crosby don't mention it, the pro-Price comes in and bash the whiner like there's no tomorrow. Crosby says he's the best, the anti-Price comes in and bash him. In the end, we are in a situation now that there's some guys coming in that will establish themselves, like Holtby, or others who needs to rebound like Ward or Miller.

But to say that Price is better than Lundqvist, tells me indeed that Crosby is wrong. Price isn't the worst. Surely top 5-8. Not the best. And it's not because Crosby tells me something that I have to believe it. 'Cause if it is, well it will mean that EVERYTHING that Crosby says is right.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 06:10 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Fantastic trade him to Pittsburgh

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 06:13 PM
Lars Mon Amour
Mon beau Lars

Crosby vs Price (e5)

Lars Mon Amour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 06:14 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post

Not sure that says or prooves anything. If Crosby don't mention it, the pro-Price comes in and bash the whiner like there's no tomorrow. Crosby says he's the best, the anti-Price comes in and bash him. In the end, we are in a situation now that there's some guys coming in that will establish themselves, like Holtby, or others who needs to rebound like Ward or Miller.

But to say that Price is better than Lundqvist, tells me indeed that Crosby is wrong. Price isn't the worst. Surely top 5-8. Not the best. And it's not because Crosby tells me something that I have to believe it. 'Cause if it is, well it will mean that EVERYTHING that Crosby says is right.
Compare our blueline post Emelin to the one the Rangers have.. Thank you.. Price has nothing to envy to Lunqvist, I saw Lunqvist giving up way weaker goals than Price ever have..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 06:36 PM
Draft

Carey is the best goalie in the league in terms of mechanics, reading the play, and physical ability IMO. As a former goalie, he's an absolute treat to watch.

However, the numbers do NOT reflect this. Hopefully he can put it all together soon.

Draft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 06:47 PM
Habbadasher

I am a Price fanboy as much as anybody.

But with all due respect to Crosby, I have to disagree. But I do think he has that potential.

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 06:47 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Compare our blueline post Emelin to the one the Rangers have.. Thank you.. Price has nothing to envy to Lunqvist, I saw Lunqvist giving up way weaker goals than Price ever have..
You mean the Rangers defense that sees this no-good overrated punk be top 2 that is Ryan McDonagh? And I keep hearing how our defense is just so great. That we're top 5 on this and top 5 on that. No, it really seems that we're underrating our D. And is this also the Rangers defense without Staal we're talking about?

And then...shouldn't we visit the rest of the league and excuse most of the teams' goalies because of how poor their team are? Does Cam Ward looked worst because of his D? Why do we keep bashing the Leafs goalies based on how pathetic their D are? If it works for Price...should it work for others?

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 06:50 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
You mean the Rangers defense that sees this no-good overrated punk be top 2 that is Ryan McDonagh? And I keep hearing how our defense is just so great. That we're top 5 on this and top 5 on that. No, it really seems that we're underrating our D. And is this also the Rangers defense without Staal we're talking about?

And then...shouldn't we visit the rest of the league and excuse most of the teams' goalies because of how poor their team are? Does Cam Ward looked worst because of his D? Why do we keep bashing the Leafs goalies based on how pathetic their D are? If it works for Price...should it work for others?
Yes it should. It's why I still claim Rinne is still the best in the game.

It's why I'm not too impressed about the Bobrovsky play or the way other players have played under good defensive coaches/good defense. This is not the best goalie by definition, its the best team. It's like the Karlsson of goaltenders.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 07:02 PM
Lafleurs Guy

So Crosby comes out and says our guy is the best in the league... and folks are upset about it.

Seriously man, I don't understand this place sometimes. The players think he's great, the coaches think he's great but some folks here talk about how badly he sucks. I mean seriously, does it matter if he's not the best in the game? Does it really matter if the guy is only considered one of the top goalies in the game?

Only in Montreal would folks get upset over something like this.

Price is held in high respect by most (all?) players around the league (Lucic even said he's got a lot of respect for him last week with Marinaro)... I don't see how this is a bad thing. And I really don't understand how it's something to be upset about.

Put a decent defense around him and his stats will be better. Keep loading the team with smurfs and his numbers be worse. It's the same with any goalie in the league...

Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 09-17-2013 at 07:11 PM.
Old
09-17-2013, 07:07 PM
BlackStar

Quote:

ANd yet, the way this fanbase bashes him, you would think he belongs to the Flyers.

BlackStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 07:08 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
You mean the Rangers defense that sees this no-good overrated punk be top 2 that is Ryan McDonagh?
Do you think he's overrated?

I didn't think so. So why even bother with this?
Quote:
And I keep hearing how our defense is just so great.
Where have you read this? Seriously...

The odd fanboy might say it but most of us (including yourself) know this to not be the case.

So again, why bother with this stuff when you yourself know it to not be true?
Quote:
That we're top 5 on this and top 5 on that. No, it really seems that we're underrating our D. And is this also the Rangers defense without Staal we're talking about?

Yes. Cam Ward's stats would be better if he was on better teams. He's a pretty awesome goalie which is why most were surprised when he didn't get an invite to camp. As for Reimer, he was amazing last year. If he can put together at least a few years of this while playing 65 plus games a year, he'll be considered great too. But right now the Leafs have gone out to get another goalie so even they don't seem to have faith in the guy.

Would you take Reimer over Price now? I didn't think so. So again... why bring him up?

Old
09-17-2013, 07:17 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

this thread was moronic yesterday, that's why it was closed down and merged with the Price thread. Somebody felt the need to resurrect it.

Surely after the stinker Price put up last night Crosby's comments become even more strange and irrelevant. No, this is HFboards which prides itself on closing itself from the real world.

Old
09-17-2013, 07:29 PM
la25ecoupe

Price is the best goalie playing against Crosby.. not the best goalie in the league..

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 07:30 PM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
this thread was moronic yesterday, that's why it was closed down and merged with the Price thread. Somebody felt the need to resurrect it.

Surely after the stinker Price put up last night Crosby's comments become even more strange and irrelevant. No, this is HFboards which prides itself on closing itself from the real world.
Price gives up a stinker per game. It's sad really.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 07:32 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Price is going from overrated in his early years, to underrated now.

Maybe it's me but it seems like when Gainey made Price a number 1 goalie at 20, ppl that he was or would be a top 10 goalie right away.

But when in fact, Gainey said it himself that he just wanted Price to get more experience and go thru the ups and downs sooner rather than later, dude is 26 and is entering his 7th year in the league, that's almost unheard of for goalies.

Also if you look at the past 3 years, Price has done very well, if it wasn't for that last month meltdown he is easily a top 10 goalie.

That being said, that experience should help Price have a more consistent game, he has no excuses now, he should be playing to the way he was playing the last 3 years apart from the last month, and actually take it up a notch.

Just comparison, look at Bernier in Toronto, this guys is 1 year young than Price, drafted a year later, and ppl talking about all the potential he has.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 07:38 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Price gives up a stinker per game. It's sad really.
Thankfully he's on probation with his third goalie coach so the end is in sight.

Old
09-17-2013, 07:38 PM
ChoseLa

I'm pretty sure Crosby was talking from a captain of team Canada standpoint. He's pimpin the tires of the guy he wants as number one in Sotchi.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote