HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Martin "Law of averages"

Old
11-20-2006, 08:43 AM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
Martin "Law of averages"

Martin seriously thinks that "law of averages" will turn our team around

Captain Coo Coo Bananas

One NHL rule of thumb is that a team figures to score one goal for every 10 shots. By that standard and almost every other one, the Panthers are in a serious scoring drought.

Jacques Martin expressed confidence that the law of averages will correct his team's problem.

"That's enough (shots)," he said, adding that, "The last three games we've produced 18 (scoring) chances and kept the opposition chances down. We've run into hot goalies."

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 08:46 AM
Panthers Rock
Slumpin' Like A Soph

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Panthers Rock
Well then by that rule, the law of averages states that a Panthers coach or GM will only last 1 to 2 seasons on this team

Florida Panthers: 2014 NHL Entry Draft Lottery...Winners?
Panthers Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 08:51 AM
Laus723
Future Now

HAHA P-Rock.

"We've run into hot goalie..." Mike Dunam? Again, I didn't watch most of the game, and I haven't kept up withhim this season, but he certainly doesn't have a Hasek-like reputation. Or even a DiPietro-like reputation.

11-20-2006, 09:09 AM
Panthers Rock
Slumpin' Like A Soph

Well I mean Dunham has played pretty good this season, especially when Dipietro got injured and he took over when Rick couldn't win. But he is by no means a goalie that only one goal should get by, not with THAT many shots. There's something to be said for not finishing and tackling all the proper rebounds.

And don't get me started on how the PPs could have been way better, it's like they haven't a clue how to enter the zone. I'd say our PP is only ranked as high as it is because while we manage to bury a chance almost every other game, our few PP chances keep our numbers up, cause otherwise they'd actually drop. Thus we MIGHT have one good PP a night that produces a goal, but the rest while not just having no goal, do not click at all.

But back to the topic, yes at this point Martin is just making excuses. To this point, the team has had no consistency so they haven't earned to right to say they are just in a bad patch. They've had one 2 game winning streak all season and now they win 1 and lose 2, 3, or even 4 at a time. A slightly better November does not a playoff team make.

Old
11-20-2006, 09:50 AM
Lola
Future Panthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
Martin seriously thinks that "law of averages" will turn our team around

Captain Coo Coo Bananas

One NHL rule of thumb is that a team figures to score one goal for every 10 shots. By that standard and almost every other one, the Panthers are in a serious scoring drought.

Jacques Martin expressed confidence that the law of averages will correct his team's problem.

"That's enough (shots)," he said, adding that, "The last three games we've produced 18 (scoring) chances and kept the opposition chances down. We've run into hot goalies."
Maybe Cohen should send him to Rochester.

Lola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 09:51 AM
Panthers Rock
Slumpin' Like A Soph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola View Post
Maybe Cohen should send him to Rochester.
Pwned.

Old
11-20-2006, 11:18 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
And, to expound on Martin's thoughts, we've got cold goalies. So what are your plans to deal with that, Mr. Head Coach/GM, Sir?

11-20-2006, 12:50 PM
JonathanHuberdoh
Maybe.....next year?

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
Martin is offically kookoo. This is getting ridiculous. Enough excuses. Saying "the law of averages" will make this team better is NOT going to work you freaking moron.

JonathanHuberdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 12:54 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePanthemarsVolta View Post
Enough excuses.
What?!? This is the second time you've called me in a post, and I'm still waiting to find out why!

heh - I guess I set myself up with this name.

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 02:11 PM
Panthers Rock
Slumpin' Like A Soph

And now, an excerpt from Jacques Martin's latest novel: The Law of Averages Code...

"Jacques Martin, with his brilliant brain, had figured everything out. "Eureka!", he exclaimed. "It's all so clear now, zones nods weld is an anagram for send down Olesz!" And with that, Martin made the call."

Old
11-20-2006, 02:13 PM
FlaPanthers7

I really think it's the skill level on this team more than the coach or GM. I do concede that the turn over in management has definitely affected the make up of the team, but the guys on the ice just aren't getting it done.

Martin/Keenan/Whoever did go out and get us a superstar in Bertuzzi, who looked really strong before his injury, and a strong vet in Salei, who has been a star on the D-line as well as chipping in offensively. I think those were both good moves.

At the beginning of the year it looked like we had 4 lines that could score, then the injury bug kicks our butt again. Bert and Niewy go out - there goes our 2nd scoring line. Gratton gets grumpy when he's shifted to wing, and Weiss gets hurt after a very promising start (led team in PP goals in 1st 10 games). Olesz and Horton disappear at times and have not progressed as we expected too. Hence why I can't put the complete blame on THIS management entirely. This team just needs to suck it up and STEP IT UP!

I do blame management for not thinking about more speed though, however we are tied into several contracts for this year that with the Bert and Salei moves would have made it difficult to sign another player. I love Roberts' grit and smash-mouth style, but unfortunately in this NHL it's not doing a whole lot for us. When Stumpel doesn't score, he's as slow as a tortoise on the ice. Those are 2 guys who I believe will not be here next season and need to be replaced by faster and better scoring wings.

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 02:31 PM
HockeySS19

Maybe next he'll say the Panthers are getting unlucky bounces because the ice at Incredible Ice (practice facility) is very bad. "The puck bounces all over so we can't control it well, like how we are in games."

HockeySS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 02:39 PM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

On the positive side over half our team will be without contract after this season and we can go get those big guns *holds for laughs*

In all seriousness we know Niewy, Roberts, Bertuzzi, Gelinas, Gratton etc will be gone. Who will they be replaced with? 3rd and 4th liners. I already see it. Martin saying "Olesz, Horton and Frolik are gonna carry our offense this season and years to come"

Old
11-20-2006, 02:40 PM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPanthers7 View Post
I really think it's the skill level on this team more than the coach or GM. I do concede that the turn over in management has definitely affected the make up of the team, but the guys on the ice just aren't getting it done.

Martin/Keenan/Whoever did go out and get us a superstar in Bertuzzi, who looked really strong before his injury, and a strong vet in Salei, who has been a star on the D-line as well as chipping in offensively. I think those were both good moves.

At the beginning of the year it looked like we had 4 lines that could score, then the injury bug kicks our butt again. Bert and Niewy go out - there goes our 2nd scoring line. Gratton gets grumpy when he's shifted to wing, and Weiss gets hurt after a very promising start (led team in PP goals in 1st 10 games). Olesz and Horton disappear at times and have not progressed as we expected too. Hence why I can't put the complete blame on THIS management entirely. This team just needs to suck it up and STEP IT UP!

I do blame management for not thinking about more speed though, however we are tied into several contracts for this year that with the Bert and Salei moves would have made it difficult to sign another player. I love Roberts' grit and smash-mouth style, but unfortunately in this NHL it's not doing a whole lot for us. When Stumpel doesn't score, he's as slow as a tortoise on the ice. Those are 2 guys who I believe will not be here next season and need to be replaced by faster and better scoring wings.

I dont see anything positive in this teams future unless something drastic is done soon. Trading Luongo for nothing was the last straw. Thank god we didnt take Havlat, Emery and Volchenkov for Luongo

Old
11-20-2006, 03:16 PM
wpring

Quote:

I actually think JM is right on. Dunham made a number of huge saves that normally would not be stopped, so did Kolzig. If we keep playing like we have in the last three games we will start to win often. Once again everyone on this board is in complete panic mode, we are only 3 games under .500. Lets just string together a few wins before calling for JM's head. If we are not above .500 by mid-Dec you can start to call for changes, until then I think we should not do anything drastic.

Maybe pickup a guy or two (Sim, Monty types), maybe send a message by sending down Rusty or moving guys to the 4th line etc but nothing drastic.

The one complaint I do have is we are changing our lines too much. JM does not leave guys together (as 3-man units) long enough for them to build any chemistry together. Injuries have been a factor but even Sat night he started tinkering in the third period when we were down 2-1 and dominating play.

wpring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 03:27 PM
KWGoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpring View Post
Once again everyone on this board is in complete panic mode
It's way beyond panic man, it's about resignation and reality.
And I'm a STH (Stupic Ticket Holder). I know.

KWGoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 03:47 PM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
I actually think JM is right on. Dunham made a number of huge saves that normally would not be stopped, so did Kolzig. If we keep playing like we have in the last three games we will start to win often. Once again everyone on this board is in complete panic mode, we are only 3 games under .500. Lets just string together a few wins before calling for JM's head. If we are not above .500 by mid-Dec you can start to call for changes, until then I think we should not do anything drastic.

Maybe pickup a guy or two (Sim, Monty types), maybe send a message by sending down Rusty or moving guys to the 4th line etc but nothing drastic.

The one complaint I do have is we are changing our lines too much. JM does not leave guys together (as 3-man units) long enough for them to build any chemistry together. Injuries have been a factor but even Sat night he started tinkering in the third period when we were down 2-1 and dominating play.

This aint panic mode.. This is normal mode. It's the same story every year. Nothing has changed. If you had been around here more seasons you'd know that. You remind many of us years ago.. oh so many years ago..

Old
11-20-2006, 04:18 PM
JonathanHuberdoh
Maybe.....next year?

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnoughExcuses View Post
What?!? This is the second time you've called me in a post, and I'm still waiting to find out why!

heh - I guess I set myself up with this name.
Well, if we were all Sharks or Sabres fans, you'd be fine. But we're Panthers fans!

JonathanHuberdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 04:22 PM
FlaPanthers7

Quote:

He is right that we are creating a lot of chances, but who do we have that can REALLY finish? Olli? Niewy (when healthy)? That's just about it right now. Olli hasn't scored a goal on the road this year too. We need guys to finish and no one on this team can finish like a Havlat-type. We need one of those and we kind of had one in Bert before he got hurt.

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 05:08 PM
thebodyczech

The coach is making predictions on statistical fallacies? Oh, am I glad he's not a financial consultant.

thebodyczech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 07:32 PM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Quote:
Once again everyone on this board is in complete panic mode, we are only 3 games under .500.
When you're one of only 3 teams in the East below .500, 9 points below your division leader, and one of your top stars is out for a good chunk of the season...I don't see why this isn't a pressing issue.

Sorry if I'm panicky, but we've all been down this road before.

ratmanfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 08:06 PM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers Rock View Post
And now, an excerpt from Jacques Martin's latest novel: The Law of Averages Code...

"Jacques Martin, with his brilliant brain, had figured everything out. "Eureka!", he exclaimed. "It's all so clear now, zones nods weld is an anagram for send down Olesz!" And with that, Martin made the call."
LMAO

Rumors abound that Jacques Martin was spotted recently at the Louvre Museum.

When asked what prompted his visit, he replied "Why is it divine or human? Can't human be divine?"

ratmanfu is offline   Reply With Quote