HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers sign Samuel Morin to a three-year entry-level contract (AAV $1.425m yr.)

Old
09-17-2013, 05:02 PM
McNasty

vCash: 500
Keep him around for the Lake Placid trip, I think the bonding and team building experience might be beneficial. However, no way do I think it's a good idea to give him a 9 game experiment. Unless a defenseman gets hurt in camp and is going to miss a week or two, I think it's better for the team if the 6 defenseman playing are going to be the starting 6 for most of the year.

Let's also not get ahead of ourselves, the kid looked good but he played for 20 minutes against a mostly unimpressive Capitals roster. In no way should that 20 minutes eclipse what Gus did down the stretch last season when the defense was in shambles from injury.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 05:28 PM
NHLAlert
@nhl_alert

Gus had a few bad shifts that lead to two goals in a pre season game. Let's not forget how much he improved at the end of last season when he was finally given a chance to stay with the Flyers.

Morin looked good against a caps roster that didn't have the likes of Ovechkin, Backstrom, Johansson, etc. Heck, half of their roster was AHL players so lets not act like Morin played against real NHL competition out there. He did look good, no one is doubting that but to have him start over Gus, Meszaros, etc. right away would be like saying he's better than them. Let's face it, the flyers want to ice the best team possible, if Morin plays over them two, IMO it's sending a message they they feel he's ahead of them on the depth chart.

NHLAlert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 05:32 PM
tuckrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
Keep him around for the Lake Placid trip, I think the bonding and team building experience might be beneficial. However, no way do I think it's a good idea to give him a 9 game experiment. Unless a defenseman gets hurt in camp and is going to miss a week or two, I think it's better for the team if the 6 defenseman playing are going to be the starting 6 for most of the year.

Let's also not get ahead of ourselves, the kid looked good but he played for 20 minutes against a mostly unimpressive Capitals roster. In no way should that 20 minutes eclipse what Gus did down the stretch last season when the defense was in shambles from injury.

Not saying he's better than gus right now, and I'm not saying 20 minutes discredits a season.

But Morin is a way more valuable asset to this team, and should be treated like such.

9 games won't stunt Gus, but could jumpstart Morin

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 05:45 PM
bennysflyers16

I say go back to jr and kick ass and make Team Canada. Maybe joining the Phantoms for playoffs and come back ready to kick ass as a 19 yr old.

bennysflyers16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 05:58 PM
kolankosf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
Gus stinks. I don't get all the love this guy gets around here.

I remember getting blasted about a comment I made like this before.

Gus has a terrible time doing the little things right. I find he tends to get caught out of position in his own end ALOT especially infront of the net, and gets caught watching the play instead of playing the play. During the Leafs game, his positioning on the shots from the point on the PP were terrible. He'd have many opportunities to pass to L.Schenn for a bomb, but would try to fire the puck, almost chest high through a crowd while the goalie was squared up in the net. Make the pass for a one timer while the goalie is moving!He was circling around guys during scrimmages for the puck, so he'd be out of position when someone finally got it (Between a Leaf player and the boards). He also has a lot of trouble (even in the AHL) holding the puck in the offensive zone, and it's twice as bad during a PP. I my opinion, the guy is a momentum killer.

Giving Morin a shot on the third pair wouldn't hurt Gus. Gus has had a few seasons to fix these issues, and still has trouble. Morin seems a bit more adept and giving him the opportunity to play against the best, gain that experience and pick up on some veteran advice, and using them effectively against the best competition in the world WILL make him a beast in the juniors. These tools he has the opportunity to learn WILL develop him into the defenceman the Flyers need and want him to be. You can't just tell a kid to go be a beast in juniors without giving him the tools, tutoring and experience.

Gus' ship has nearly sailed. He played well at the back stretch of a shortened season, and had a good world tournament (While most of the top guys were in the Stanley Cup Playoffs). But that was what? 2 good months strung together during 2-3 years?

Let us hold a moment of silence and remember Jim Carrey's Vezina Trophy season...

kolankosf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 06:45 PM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
I say go back to jr and kick ass and make Team Canada. Maybe joining the Phantoms for playoffs and come back ready to kick ass as a 19 yr old.
I dont think theres anyway he will play for Canada at the WJs this year. Next year definitely though.

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 06:59 PM
Legion of Gloom
.....Flyer Alarm

vCash: 1847
There is a better chance that Pronger starts the season then Morin, it is crazy talk to even want him to play this year

Legion of Gloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 07:01 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenbergg View Post
I dont think theres anyway he will play for Canada at the WJs this year. Next year definitely though.
As of now I agree he's on the outside looking in but there's too many unknown variables to say for certain. Guys could get hurt, make an NHL roster, or their play could dip opening spots for guys who weren't on the radar in the summer.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 07:05 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Homer says it's a "stretch" that Morin makes the team this year.
Source: Sam Carchidi @BroadStBull

Old
09-17-2013, 07:09 PM
NHLAlert
@nhl_alert

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolankosf View Post
I remember getting blasted about a comment I made like this before.

Gus has a terrible time doing the little things right. I find he tends to get caught out of position in his own end ALOT especially infront of the net, and gets caught watching the play instead of playing the play. During the Leafs game, his positioning on the shots from the point on the PP were terrible. He'd have many opportunities to pass to L.Schenn for a bomb, but would try to fire the puck, almost chest high through a crowd while the goalie was squared up in the net. Make the pass for a one timer while the goalie is moving!He was circling around guys during scrimmages for the puck, so he'd be out of position when someone finally got it (Between a Leaf player and the boards). He also has a lot of trouble (even in the AHL) holding the puck in the offensive zone, and it's twice as bad during a PP. I my opinion, the guy is a momentum killer.

Giving Morin a shot on the third pair wouldn't hurt Gus. Gus has had a few seasons to fix these issues, and still has trouble. Morin seems a bit more adept and giving him the opportunity to play against the best, gain that experience and pick up on some veteran advice, and using them effectively against the best competition in the world WILL make him a beast in the juniors. These tools he has the opportunity to learn WILL develop him into the defenceman the Flyers need and want him to be. You can't just tell a kid to go be a beast in juniors without giving him the tools, tutoring and experience.

Gus' ship has nearly sailed. He played well at the back stretch of a shortened season, and had a good world tournament (While most of the top guys were in the Stanley Cup Playoffs). But that was what? 2 good months strung together during 2-3 years?

Let us hold a moment of silence and remember Jim Carrey's Vezina Trophy season...
Gus has 60 games under his belt, is only 24 and has battled injuries whenever given the chance to play. Gus is beast in the AHL, espicially on the power play. He's put up a good amount of points in the AHL while playing on the first power play, so I wouldn't say he's struggled in that department. Still only 144 games in the AHL with 95 points...

He needs to play and grow into a role with this squad and this year he finally may have a spot with the team. Let's give him sometime before we write him off

NHLAlert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 07:38 PM
LegionOfDoom91

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...ake-flyers-now

A story about Morin & his chances of making the team with quotes from Homer.

Old
09-17-2013, 07:48 PM
Jray42

vCash: 300
I thought Gus was solid last year. One things for sure, I'd much rather have Gus In the lineup rather than having Lauridsen out there. yuck.

And I think we know what we're getting with Gus. A decent, 4th/5th defenseman. No one's expecting him to carry a 2nd pairing, nor should they. I think having him paired with Grossmann for example, would be the makings of a balanced pairing.

Timonen - Schenn
Streit - Coburn
Grossmann - Gus
7-Meszaros
8-Gervais
9-Lauridsen

Don't see where Morin fits it. I think it's better off he stays in juniors, but if he does stay for a 9 day stint, then I would pair him with Streit and bring the Coburn-Grossmann pairing back together.

Last edited by Jray42: 09-17-2013 at 08:00 PM.
Jray42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 07:52 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Here's videos of both Morin & Homer talking about the contract & other things.

Morin:
http://video.flyers.nhl.com/videocen...445163&lang=en

Homer:
http://video.flyers.nhl.com/videocen...445168&lang=en

Old
09-17-2013, 08:05 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I don't have a problem with him getting a 9 game stint or even making the team, so long as he actually makes the team. This team's defense is nothing to write home about. If Morin is capable of playing in the NHL at a higher level than our other options, I have no problem with putting him out there. I don't want to see him rushed though. Obviously they aren't going to put him on the team and sit him in the press box. So he has to out play Mez and Gus, and for me he would have to outplay them by a lot. But if he does and the coaches like him, then let him play.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 09:01 PM
flyersfan28

i think morin play 9 games after back with rimouski
schenn timonen
streit morin
coburn grossman

flyersfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 09:10 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
I wouldn't call him a favorite, but Canada loves a big shutdown pair (remember Myers and Aulie?) If he starts out strong he has a shot.

FLYguy3911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 09:11 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan28 View Post
i think morin play 9 games after back with rimouski
schenn timonen
streit morin
coburn grossman
Where will Meszaros and Gustafsson be during this nine game stretch?

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 10:01 PM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
I wouldn't call him a favorite, but Canada loves a big shutdown pair (remember Myers and Aulie?) If he starts out strong he has a shot.
I dont necessarily agree with it, and having guys like Pouliot, Koekkekk, Harrington seem questionable over Morin.

Old
09-17-2013, 10:51 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
I dont necessarily agree with it, and having guys like Pouliot, Koekkekk, Harrington seem questionable over Morin.
What are you trying to say? You just named an offensive defenseman, a two way guy who hasn't played much the last 2 years, and a guy not even eligible for the tournament.

Old
09-17-2013, 11:07 PM
Larry44
10 - 88

Quote:
What are you trying to say? You just named an offensive defenseman, a two way guy who hasn't played much the last 2 years, and a guy not even eligible for the tournament.
http://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/Tea...er-Camp/Roster

If you look at the summer camp roster, including the guys at the bottom who didn't go, (Reinhart, Rielly, Pelech), it's a pretty good group of D.

I guess it's possible that Morin plays his way to a tryout in Dec, but there are a lot of guys for him to leap over...

Let's take a deep breath. Great to see Sam's progress but...

We don't have cap room to carry him as an extra for 9 games.
He needs to get back to Jr to start working on his season.
Let him push for a spot again next year, but get sent back again too, and play WJC for sure then.

There is no need to rush him.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 11:10 PM
PhilaFlyers

Let him dominate juniors and develop his offensive game for one more season.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 11:18 PM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Quote:
Im trying to say that those guys arent better fits for team canada than morin. Wrong about Harrington.

Old
09-18-2013, 12:33 AM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
http://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/Tea...er-Camp/Roster

If you look at the summer camp roster, including the guys at the bottom who didn't go, (Reinhart, Rielly, Pelech), it's a pretty good group of D.

I guess it's possible that Morin plays his way to a tryout in Dec, but there are a lot of guys for him to leap over...

Let's take a deep breath. Great to see Sam's progress but...

We don't have cap room to carry him as an extra for 9 games.
He needs to get back to Jr to start working on his season.
Let him push for a spot again next year, but get sent back again too, and play WJC for sure then.

There is no need to rush him.
I agree he has an uphill climb. He's definitely on the outside looking in. And the WJC is generally a 19 year old tourney, especially for Canada. And the 94 crop is a strong group. I get that. I agree he's got some work to do.

My only point was if he keeps getting better he could possibly earn a spot in a shutdown role. No one has his size and he can move well enough to not be a liability on the big ice. If Reinhart doesn't make the Isles, he's still looking at a IIHF suspension from last year's tourney. Canada will be looking to add size. There are a few guys ahead of him for now, but the camp is 3 months away. A lot can happen.

I'm not advocating him playing in the NHL this year either (not even the trial). He's looked good, but he still has some work to do and at this point I rather him learn against guys his age (I fear a true NHL forecheck might be a little too much for him. Regular season is a whole other ballgame). With a 9-game trial when you add in the inevitable scratches, you're looking at about a months worth of games where he could be playing a major role in Rimouski. He's already missed some games with the Q already starting this past week.

Old
09-18-2013, 12:42 AM
Kevin Danko
Web Design

vCash: 420
let him play and earn his spot, id rather him start playing the nhl game rather than waiting in juniors. If he can help the team, bring him in and let him develop at the nhl level.

Kevin Danko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 12:59 AM
LegionOfDoom91

I just don't see Homer going through all the trouble just to fit him in when he won't be apart of the plans for this season.

I think he's back in Rimouski by the end of the week and that's fine. He said after the Caps game if he didn't make the team out of camp he would want to at least leave here with a contract so he at least he accomplished one of the goals he set for himself.