HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Weiss vs Filppula

View Poll Results: Who will get most points?
Weiss 71 66.36%
Filppula 36 33.64%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-16-2013, 08:27 PM
  #1
RobinDIF
Reunite ROR & Landy!
 
RobinDIF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 4,272
vCash: 500
Weiss vs Filppula

Hey Detroit fans. I haven't really followed your boards so closely the last months, but I couldn't find a thread like this. I was just wondering. Where do you stand on the Filppula vs Weiss thing? It's gonna be really interesting comparing stats with the two in the same division and almost identical contracts.

Do you think Detroit did the right thing going for Weiss instead of Flip? And do you think they would have signed Flip instead if he was willing to sign the same deal as Weiss? Seemed as if he wanted 8 year out of Detroit but when he hit the market was forced to face reality on how long of a deal he could get.

RobinDIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 08:30 PM
  #2
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable
 
Guru Meditation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,086
vCash: 500
Detroit did the right thing. Fil is going to get more points, though. There's just more opportunity in TB for him. He could be playing with Stamkos if things go his way.

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 08:31 PM
  #3
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!
 
SoupNazi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Kramerica Industries
Country: Argentina
Posts: 16,789
vCash: 545
I think we did better with Weiss.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 08:33 PM
  #4
RobinDIF
Reunite ROR & Landy!
 
RobinDIF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 4,272
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Meditation View Post
Detroit did the right thing. Fil is going to get more points, though. There's just more opportunity in TB for him.
Really? I think Weiss is more capable of "carrying" a secondary scoring line than Flip. I didn't watch all the Red Wings games, but it seemed like he was depending so much on Datsyuk or Zetterberg all the time.

In Tampa he is probably gonna center a 2nd line with Purcell and Malone/Drouin. I don't know. But I think Weiss has better chances with Franzén and Alfie.

And I also think Weiss has way better quality in him to set up a good second power play formation for you guys. It seemed like the second one couldn't get anything done when Datsyuk and Zetterberg was on the first PP.

RobinDIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 08:35 PM
  #5
claudetheturtle
Registered User
 
claudetheturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 576
vCash: 500
Discussion of Weiss v. Filppula: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...1448099&page=2

claudetheturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 08:37 PM
  #6
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable
 
Guru Meditation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
Really? I think Weiss is more capable of "carrying" a secondary scoring line than Flip. I didn't watch all the Red Wings games, but it seemed like he was depending so much on Datsyuk or Zetterberg all the time.

In Tampa he is probably gonna center a 2nd line with Purcell and Malone/Drouin. I don't know. But I think Weiss has better chances with Franzén and Alfie.

And I also think Weiss has way better quality in him to set up a good second power play formation for you guys. It seemed like the second one couldn't get anything done when Datsyuk and Zetterberg was on the first PP.
I think Fil will get more icetime overall simply because TB is a worse team. I think that'll help him. Plus, different system and all of that. A change of pace could help him out a ton, especially in a new situation which might put less emphasis on defensive play.

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 09:16 PM
  #7
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Meditation View Post
I think Fil will get more icetime overall simply because TB is a worse team. I think that'll help him. Plus, different system and all of that. A change of pace could help him out a ton, especially in a new situation which might put less emphasis on defensive play.
All anyone in Tampa is talking about is defense so far.
Tampa's top six isn't so bad. I don't see Flip getting wild amounts of icetime.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 09:53 PM
  #8
JPE123
Registered User
 
JPE123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,712
vCash: 500
I have always been a Fils supporter but I think it was time for him to move on. Just wasn't a finisher. Guy seems to have a load of potential. Maybe a change will be the best thing for him. Weiss, I like, but admit I never followed him that much. The times I did see him play he was pretty solid.

JPE123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 10:14 PM
  #9
Crymson
Fire Holland
 
Crymson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Meditation View Post
Detroit did the right thing. Fil is going to get more points, though. There's just more opportunity in TB for him. He could be playing with Stamkos if things go his way.
Doubtful, I think. Stamkos played exceedingly well with St. Louis and Purcell, and anyway Stamkos has always played center. I suspect Filppula will take Lecavalier's role as 2nd-line center.

Crymson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 11:43 PM
  #10
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!
 
The Zetterberg Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 17,416
vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crymson View Post
Doubtful, I think. Stamkos played exceedingly well with St. Louis and Purcell, and anyway Stamkos has always played center. I suspect Filppula will take Lecavalier's role as 2nd-line center.
Well a big key is if they let him play on the PP with him anyway in terms of production. I don't really know, in terms of our team and what we want to do, Weiss was a better choice for me. Filppula really was what he was in terms of this team and he struggled to be a consistent offensive force and while his D is better than Weiss his inability to keep a second line running for long stretches really spelled the end of his tenure here. It was time to turn the page, if he lights it up with a change of scenery, that doesn't mean it was ever going to happen here.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 08:03 AM
  #11
InjuredChoker
Registered User
 
InjuredChoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: LTIR or golf course
Posts: 17,442
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
Hey Detroit fans. I haven't really followed your boards so closely the last months, but I couldn't find a thread like this. I was just wondering. Where do you stand on the Filppula vs Weiss thing? It's gonna be really interesting comparing stats with the two in the same division and almost identical contracts.

Do you think Detroit did the right thing going for Weiss instead of Flip? And do you think they would have signed Flip instead if he was willing to sign the same deal as Weiss? Seemed as if he wanted 8 year out of Detroit but when he hit the market was forced to face reality on how long of a deal he could get.
This pops up about as often here in threads as Manbearpig, Shatt and EJ trade on Avs board, Stastny's decline/bounce back, and what have you .

To me it seems clear that they weren't willing to sign Flip to same deal as Weiss and iirc they have been trying to get him for some time, indicating that they are quite high on him.

Time will tell if they made the right choice.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 08:23 AM
  #12
crashman
Registered User
 
crashman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 5,188
vCash: 1376
This will be interesting to see. I think Filppula is the player from 2011-2012 that put up 66 pts, not the guy we saw last year. He was slowed because of the leg injury he sustained playing for Jokerit.

Plus, the fact that he's going to be playing in the East, I think he's going to have a career year. TBL is pretty bad defensively, so they're going to need to do a lot of scoring out of necessity, so that should help Filp's numbers as well.

Weiss should see plenty of ice-time here, but I still think Filppula outscores him.

Having said that, I don't mean to imply that Filppula is the better forward for the Detroit Red Wings or that we made a mistake, that all remains to be seen.

crashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 01:51 PM
  #13
Gerin
Registered User
 
Gerin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: West Coast
Posts: 117
vCash: 500
Personally I think Filppula will put up better numbers as he will be used well in Tampa but Weiss is the the type of player the Wings need more we have already enough Filppula like players (skill, playmaking, puck possession). My guess both players will have similar numbers and are both big and key pickups for both teams

Gerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 01:55 PM
  #14
Ricelund
We like our team.
 
Ricelund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Detroit, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 5,004
vCash: 500
Unless he's playing with Stamkos and St. Louis, I'll be very surprised if Filppula outscores Weiss.

Ricelund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 02:00 PM
  #15
InjuredChoker
Registered User
 
InjuredChoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: LTIR or golf course
Posts: 17,442
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricelund View Post
Unless he's playing with Stamkos and St. Louis, I'll be very surprised if Filppula outscores Weiss.
Flip looks to be centering the second line with Killorn and Purcell. That's how it's been so far at the camp.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 02:24 PM
  #16
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuredChoker View Post
Flip looks to be centering the second line with Killorn and Purcell. That's how it's been so far at the camp.
Not a ton of firepower there.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 02:33 PM
  #17
Cursed Lemon
Registered Bruiser
 
Cursed Lemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,157
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Cursed Lemon Send a message via MSN to Cursed Lemon Send a message via Yahoo to Cursed Lemon
Filppula had a terrible contract year, it's just as simple as that. Had he kept pace with his 60 point season, he could've had the 5 million he was asking for.

Cursed Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 02:41 PM
  #18
InjuredChoker
Registered User
 
InjuredChoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: LTIR or golf course
Posts: 17,442
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsNow View Post
Not a ton of firepower there.
Nah but it's solid second line. Purcell has good shot but rarely uses it. Killorn is sort of Hossa-lite player.

They do have some solid shooters in Panik and Connolly but they may not be ready for top6 jobs. And Killorn's game is way ahead of them so makes little sense to drop him down to third line.

May change if Malone isn't up to job with Marty and Stammer. And/or when he gets injured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cursed Lemon View Post
Filppula had a terrible contract year, it's just as simple as that. Had he kept pace with his 60 point season, he could've had the 5 million he was asking for.
And would have gotten more than that from open market.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 02:47 PM
  #19
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!
 
The Zetterberg Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 17,416
vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsNow View Post
Not a ton of firepower there.
Yeah should be interesting, Purcell to date is really a big PP guy and not much else. Filppula is a traditional even strength guy, maybe he can get more out of Purcell even strength. Killorn isn't bad, he outproduced Filppula last year for instance.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 02:52 PM
  #20
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
Yeah should be interesting, Purcell to date is really a big PP guy and not much else. Filppula is a traditional even strength guy, maybe he can get more out of Purcell even strength. Killorn isn't bad, he outproduced Filppula last year for instance.
Yeah, but who didn't outproduce Flip last year.
Where is Drouin going to play? Also, is Kucherov going to stick?
Seems to me like Yzerman's last two drafts have some potential after a pretty iffy first draft

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 03:16 PM
  #21
InjuredChoker
Registered User
 
InjuredChoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: LTIR or golf course
Posts: 17,442
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
Yeah should be interesting, Purcell to date is really a big PP guy and not much else. Filppula is a traditional even strength guy, maybe he can get more out of Purcell even strength. Killorn isn't bad, he outproduced Filppula last year for instance.
Purcell's ES production past two years has been better than Flip's.

Better than anyone on Detroit, actually. 26th best in whole league for that time period with players who have large sample size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsNow View Post
Yeah, but who didn't outproduce Flip last year.
Where is Drouin going to play? Also, is Kucherov going to stick?
Seems to me like Yzerman's last two drafts have some potential after a pretty iffy first draft
Drouin has been tried at C lately. He may go down to Q for one more year. Tampa likely won't contend for cup, best years ahead, gives him one more year to develop, won't burn year of ELC and they have logjam at forward too. Probably on third line if he's playing.

Kucherov likely starts in Syracuse.

The last two drafts? Meaning 12 and 13? Kucherov was picked in 11. They made lots of solid picks in '11, all picks look pretty solid as of now.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 03:22 PM
  #22
Hammettf2b
Registered User
 
Hammettf2b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: So California
Country: United States
Posts: 1,039
vCash: 14277
Going with Weiss cuz i think he will help this team more than what Flip would

Hammettf2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 03:26 PM
  #23
Henkka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Finland
Posts: 8,704
vCash: 528
What I think about Filppula, he won't produce more than 40 points at next season, but he will be overwhelmingly best defensive forward at Tampa's TOP9 offence.

St. Louis
Stamkos
Purcell
Malone
Drouin
Panik
Palat
Johnson

There guys don't have any clue what a word "defence" is.

Filppula set's some defensive bar for whole organization's center play (he is kind of their own "Selke-Yzerman" example, what Bowman turned Stevie to be for us) and that will have a big impact for Tampa's success in the future.

It will be a good signing on long run from Yzerman, but as an individual, maybe we won't ever see Filppula shine point-vise again. But he doesn't have to. It's not his job. There's huge scoring power at Tampa even without him.

Henkka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 08:17 PM
  #24
RedWinger10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 947
vCash: 500
Weiss should be a definite upgrade. His 2 way play alone puts him ahead.

RedWinger10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 08:59 PM
  #25
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe
 
Blad Meaning Gud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 4,580
vCash: 50
The thing with Weiss, hes fairly comsistent.. but sometimes he gets to another level. If he could ever reach that next level more often he could be a perennial all star. You'll see it from time to time. Hopefully more often now that he's in Detroit. It would usually come in the bigger games.

Blad Meaning Gud is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:15 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.