HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Round 1, Pick #11: Samuel Morin, Defense, Rimouski (QMJHL)

Old
09-03-2013, 05:10 PM
Roo Mad Bro
Morin & Hägg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
The Pronger comparions have never made sense at all. Pronger was one of the most heralded minor players ever and is a first ballot hall of fame defense man. While some players may be able to match or exceed his physical attributes as well as his skill level no one will ever be able to exceed the depth of intelligence on the ice. Pronger is the smartest player I've ever seen play the game.

If we are looking for a more realistic comparison for Morin, I'd say a more mobile Derian Hatcher. Morin is huge loves to fight and is a tough customer. I'll take that all day.
Wayne Gretzky says "sup".

Also, Lidstrom was a smarter hockey player than Pronger.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 06:25 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I'm fairly confident they'll give Morin the time he needs just going by their comments on how raw he is. I think at the very minimum he finishes out his junior eligibility next year & then heads to the AHL for a season or two. He'll have to really wow people to make it in the NHL within the next 3-4 years IMO.
That's what they said about Tyler Myers too and he won ROY as a 19 year old.

There's no reason to put a time table on when the kid will be ready. He will decide when he's ready. We are talking about a 6'7 kid who just turned 18 and moves like he does. No one has any idea how this kid will progress in the next 18 months let along 4 years from now. If the Flyers conceded his offensive game he could play next year. There's probably no organization that pushes their prospects (especially 1st rounders) more than the Flyers.

This time last year everyone said Stolarz needs 4 years of college, 2 years in the AHL, etc. And then he went to London and everyone said he's going to have to play as an overager. Well, he surpassed everyone's projection.

FLYguy3911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 07:22 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post

There's no reason to put a time table on when the kid will be ready. He will decide when he's ready. We are talking about a 6'7 kid who just turned 18 and moves like he does. No one has any idea how this kid will progress in the next 18 months let along 4 years from now. If the Flyers conceded his offensive game he could play next year. There's probably no organization that pushes their prospects (especially 1st rounders) more than the Flyers.
It's a rough estimate based off what we have at hand currently, obviously things could change. Using Tyler Myers as an example (one of the few outliers) doesn't change my stance right now that he's probably a few years away.

I'm not so certain they'll rush him. He's only the second defensemen selected in the first round by Homer. They rushed Sbisa initially & realized their mistake 39 games in. We traded him that following offseason so there's really not much to go off by there.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 08:03 PM
Flyerss

vCash: 1470
if he dosen't pan out just turn him into a grinder

Flyerss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 08:12 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerss View Post
if he dosen't pan out just turn him into a grinder
He could be the next Wade Belak.

Old
09-03-2013, 08:17 PM
MP92

Quote:
Yikes, let's hope that doesn't happen. Not just for the sake of his career, but also his life.

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 08:26 PM
hockeyfreak7

Morin's definitely raw, but I don't think that necessarily means he'll take a long time. Some food cooks faster than others. That doesn't mean he'll be on a fast track, but I don't think he has to take 5 years just because he's big and undeveloped right now. With a guy like him, we'll have a much better time table after his post-draft year.

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 08:37 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOREacek View Post
Yikes, let's hope that doesn't happen. Not just for the sake of his career, but also his life.
Well yeah definitely not off the ice. I honestly wasn't even thinking of that when I typed it.

I was going for the both being drafted as defensemen, top 15 picks, & being known for their fighting & physicality in juniors angle there.

I highly doubt Morin bottoms out like that & converts to a forward though.

Old
09-03-2013, 08:52 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
F that noise. Chris McAllister Loved it when they moved Big Mac to the 4th line with Marty Murray and Fedoruk.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 12:12 PM
lancer247

I think to Pronger comparison is a big stretch.

As it was mentioned above and i said at the draft, I think Morin is more like a better skating Hatcher or Souray. I would love to see his shot develop like Souray's one timer.

Both are big, tough and more importantly i believe they both wore the C for their teams in the past.

Hatcher, before he tore up his knee, was the type of player that made visting players dread going into DAL and he was good really good defender too. I'd take Morin turning into a better skating Hatcher everyday of the week.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 04:45 PM
04' hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
I think to Pronger comparison is a big stretch.

As it was mentioned above and i said at the draft, I think Morin is more like a better skating Hatcher or Souray. I would love to see his shot develop like Souray's one timer.

Both are big, tough and more importantly i believe they both wore the C for their teams in the past.

Hatcher, before he tore up his knee, was the type of player that made visting players dread going into DAL and he was good really good defender too. I'd take Morin turning into a better skating Hatcher everyday of the week.
that'd be BEYOND NICE

04' hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 01:42 PM
Hiesenberg

vCash: 491
According to Carchidi, Morin has gained 9lbs since the draft, now clocks in @ 211. That's a big effing 18 year old.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 01:44 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
According to Carchidi, Morin has gained 9lbs since the draft, now clocks in @ 211. That's a big effing 18 year old.
I can't wait to see him catch Crosby a la Hatcher .

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 01:45 PM
Hiesenberg

One of the writers said he's itching to hit. Said he's not holding back. I guess pre-season games will be fun with him.

Old
09-06-2013, 02:26 PM
Roo Mad Bro
Morin & Hägg

Morin's going to be a tough mother****er to play against.

A 6'7 thumper who can skate? Oh lawd.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 02:42 PM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
Morin's going to be a tough mother****er to play against.

A 6'7 thumper who can skate? Oh lawd.
If an offensive side breaks through during development, maybe the Flyers will have finally figured it out.

Old
09-06-2013, 02:46 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
If an offensive side breaks through during development, maybe the Flyers will have finally figured it out.
That is what will make or break Morin. There are alot of 6-6 defensive defenders in each league. Its the ones that figure out how to skate (which Morin isnt bad in but needs work on) and figure out offense (which he seems to slowly be understanding) that can make them a good defender.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 03:19 PM
Akanon

Video - Sam Morin looks to make impression at Flyers rookie camp

Akanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 03:23 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
That is what will make or break Morin. There are alot of 6-6 defensive defenders in each league. Its the ones that figure out how to skate (which Morin isnt bad in but needs work on) and figure out offense (which he seems to slowly be understanding) that can make them a good defender.
The skating part Morin has down. It's the footwork and learning how to pivot quickly that he needs to work on. His lateral movement is fantastic and skating forward/backward is not a problem. Where he gets his feet tied up is when he's turning corners and stuff and that's only because he's so big. He's gangly and awkward right now (like most 6'6 18 year olds are). The added weight will help improve that because it should lower his center of gravity . He's going to be a real scary mofo when he makes it to the NHL. If he contributes 30 points a year and plays a mean, physical game with shut down capabilities, the Flyers will have hit the jackpot with him. Ghostisbehere and Hagg will probably be the point producers and I have no problem with that.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 03:23 PM
Stizzle

Of course they have to throw in a few Pronger references to be cute. What jackasses.

Stizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 03:28 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post

This time last year everyone said Stolarz needs 4 years of college, 2 years in the AHL, etc. And then he went to London and everyone said he's going to have to play as an overager. Well, he surpassed everyone's projection.
Myers has also digressed every year since winning the ROY. I don't think there's anything wrong with putting a time table on a guy like Morin because the last thing that any organization wants to do is rush someone to the show and watch them implode and lose their confidence. Maybe guarded optimism is the best way to go.

As for Stolarz, I strongly believe that he's still at least 3 to 4 years away. He had a great run in the OHL last season and endured a rough Memorial Cup. With that being said, he's going to get in to about 50 games with London this year. This is his big year. If he improves all the facets of his game (there are three things he needs to really work on - puckhandling, positioning and when to rely on his athleticism), then that might cut the development down by a year. The good news though is that he's in good hands with Bill Dark and Jeff Reese is in communication with Dark quite often, so he knows about what's going on.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 12:47 PM
Hiesenberg

Flyers announce they have signed Samuel Morin to an Entry Level Contract.

Old
09-17-2013, 04:56 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

An angry Coburn year-round???

Yes ****ing please.

Send him back, let him develop, but yeah. He's looked great so far.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 06:30 PM
Legion of Goon
Suck it Phuffneuf

vCash: 940
Morin reminds me of Larry Robinson not Pronger, at least the way he skates and fights, Robinson did hammer The Hammer.

Legion of Goon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 08:32 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerTime View Post
Morin reminds me of Larry Robinson not Pronger, at least the way he skates and fights, Robinson did hammer The Hammer.
Yeah, let's take the pressure off the kid with the Pronger comparisons and go right to Larry Robinson.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote