HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Crosby proclaims Price the best goalie in the league.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-17-2013, 07:42 PM
  #76
PunkinDrublic*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sutton,Qc-Sudbury,On
Posts: 8,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Fantastic trade him to Pittsburgh
This actually gets old quick. And by the way, i will take the best hockey player in the world's opinion way before yours or any other so called armchair gm in here.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 07:44 PM
  #77
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 53,868
vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Do you think he's overrated?

I didn't think so. So why even bother with this?
'Cause last time I checked, I wasn't talking to myself. In that instance, I'm talking to somebody who thinks that we have a way worst D than the Rangers. So I then bring the probably general consensus that Rangers aren't great after all. I think the world out of McDonagh...but I also don't think the Rangers were this great defensive squad that he thought they were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Where have you read this? Seriously...

The odd fanboy might say it but most of us (including yourself) know this to not be the case.

So again, why bother with this stuff when you yourself know it to not be true?
Well I do have a couple of exchanges with one poster in particular, but a poster that does seem to have people thinks he's right....And that's fine, everybody has their own opinion. I personally don't think so, I'm pretty sure that it's not because I don't think it's true that the reality of it is that it's NOT true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Yes. Cam Ward's stats would be better if he was on better teams. He's a pretty awesome goalie which is why most were surprised when he didn't get an invite to camp. As for Reimer, he was amazing last year. If he can put together at least a few years of this while playing 65 plus games a year, he'll be considered great too. But right now the Leafs have gone out to get another goalie so even they don't seem to have faith in the guy.

Would you take Reimer over Price now? I didn't think so. So again... why bring him up?
I wouldn't take Reimer over Price based on a couple of things. It's tough to judge a goalie based on the teams he has in front of him. No, I wouldn't take Reimer over Price based on Price POTENTIAL, not actual results. I'd take Lundqvist though. I'd take Quick. People won't agree, but I'd take Howard. I'd take Rinne, and the most unpopular choice of the year....I'd take Rask. Others are too unproven from Fasth to Holtby to even Crawford etc.

So I bring Reimer up to say that in the end, people keep bringing the bad D to explain Price subpar seasons, yet have no problem bashing Reimer and Leafs goalies despite the Leafs being way more awful than we are. So taking Price ahead of Reimer has nothing to do with the point I made.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 07:47 PM
  #78
Frank Drebin
Registered User
 
Frank Drebin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,564
vCash: 50
Sidney said it, it must be true.

Any highlights available from last nights game?

Frank Drebin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 07:48 PM
  #79
uiCk
GrEmelins
 
uiCk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,372
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by drakaar10iemechx2012 View Post
This actually gets old quick. And by the way, i will take the best hockey player in the world's opinion way before yours or any other so called armchair gm in here.
Take it easy there, you are talking to a 4-5 year veteran Price basher here. He's very sensitive and might go into exile/change username again.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 07:53 PM
  #80
Forsead
Registered User
 
Forsead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Québec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,375
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
I'm pretty sure Crosby was talking from a captain of team Canada standpoint. He's pimpin the tires of the guy he wants as number one in Sotchi.
No Luongo who is almost guarantee to be the starter at the start of the tournament at least ?

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 07:53 PM
  #81
Dekar
Registered User
 
Dekar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bound Kingdom
Posts: 5,400
vCash: 500
Only these stupid Montreal fans...

Crosby: Price is the best goalie in the league.
Habs fans: What an idiot!

You people make me homicidal sometimes.

Dekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 07:54 PM
  #82
FrontierPsyCHiatrist*
Master Pleks
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,735
vCash: 500
Still no concussion jokes??? I'm quite surprise.

FrontierPsyCHiatrist* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 08:03 PM
  #83
Lafleurs Guy
Moderator
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 29,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
'Cause last time I checked, I wasn't talking to myself. In that instance, I'm talking to somebody who thinks that we have a way worst D than the Rangers. So I then bring the probably general consensus that Rangers aren't great after all. I think the world out of McDonagh...but I also don't think the Rangers were this great defensive squad that he thought they were.

Well I do have a couple of exchanges with one poster in particular, but a poster that does seem to have people thinks he's right....And that's fine, everybody has their own opinion. I personally don't think so, I'm pretty sure that it's not because I don't think it's true that the reality of it is that it's NOT true.

I wouldn't take Reimer over Price based on a couple of things. It's tough to judge a goalie based on the teams he has in front of him. No, I wouldn't take Reimer over Price based on Price POTENTIAL, not actual results. I'd take Lundqvist though. I'd take Quick. People won't agree, but I'd take Howard. I'd take Rinne, and the most unpopular choice of the year....I'd take Rask. Others are too unproven from Fasth to Holtby to even Crawford etc.
Quick, Rinne, Lundqvist... all are great goalies. If somebody wanted to take them over Price that's cool. Just like how folks are ranking Subban 6th. I disagree with them and think he should be higher but I've got no problem with it if somebody takes Suter or Keith or whoever in front of him.

And take a look at the goalies you've got listed here. Rinne (behind Suter and Weber for years) Rask (behind Chara and arguably the best defensive team in the league) (Quick behind Doughty and a big strong Kings team)...

Do you see a pattern here?

Price is sitting behind Subban and a bunch of crap. Rebounds go in the net for us where they'd be cleared for others. It's a fact and you know it. How much is the D vs. how much is goaltending? I guess that's up to the individual to judge. But apart from that crash at the end of the shortened season last year, he's been great for us since Halak left. And he's done it on worse teams than any of those other guys.

Do you think Price would do better on those teams than on ours? Do you think these other goalies would be more exposed if they were on ours? I do. I think if you take a goalie like Ward or Price and put them on those clubs you're going to see much better results. Price on Chicago... Rask in Montreal? No difference? Of course there is. There's a comfort a goalie has when his D has his back. The relationship is symbiotic.

Look, I'm not arguing Price is perfect. We all saw the crash at the end of last season. When he's bad he's bad. The difference is though that when he's bad he's on his own.

Personally, I see Lundqvist as the best in the league. He's got a good (but not great) D in front of him and he always puts up stellar numbers. But he's also not had much success in the postseason but I dont' see people here blaming him for that. It's not HIS loss when the Rangers don't advance... it's the Rangers aren't good enough. But when we don't advance (with teams that I don't think are built for the playoffs to begin with) it becomes Price's failure.

But if players and coaches think Price is the best in the league (and many have said so) then I'm certainly not going to upset by it. And it's a mystery to me as to why some people are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
So I bring Reimer up to say that in the end, people keep bringing the bad D to explain Price subpar seasons, yet have no problem bashing Reimer and Leafs goalies despite the Leafs being way more awful than we are. So taking Price ahead of Reimer has nothing to do with the point I made.
Okay.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 08:07 PM
  #84
Shaby23
Registered User
 
Shaby23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Quebec
Posts: 4,895
vCash: 500
How can Price be the best goalie in the league and he has yet to play 1 entire good season?? I love Price but he's nowhere near the best goalie right now. Can he be?? Sure he can. But he still has to prove it by being consistent and not letting a softie per 2-3 games.

Shaby23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 08:10 PM
  #85
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 53,868
vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Quick, Rinne, Lundqvist... all are great goalies. If somebody wanted to take them over Price that's cool. Just like how folks are ranking Subban 6th. I disagree with them and think he should be higher but I've got no problem with it if somebody takes Suter or Keith or whoever in front of him.

And take a look at the goalies you've got listed here. Rinne (behind Suter and Weber for years) Rask (behind Chara and arguably the best defensive team in the league) (Quick behind Doughty and a big strong Kings team)... Do you see a pattern here?
Yes. The pattern is that despite players for those teams, I've seen them day in and day out save their teams from sure losses. The league is so tight right now that despite how strong teams are or look to be, goalies still needs to make incredible key saves to save his team's ass. And every goalie I named did that. And Rinne despite being behind Suter and Weber, had no offensive support. And the big strong Kings team became THAT strong the day they had a great Quick in their net.


Last edited by Whitesnake: 09-17-2013 at 08:35 PM.
Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 08:21 PM
  #86
Lafleurs Guy
Moderator
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 29,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Yes. The pattern is that despite players for those teams, I've seen them day in and day out save their teams from sure losses. The league is so tight right now that despite how strong teams are or look to be, goalies still needs to make incredible key saves to save his team's ass. And every goalie I named did that.
Those goalies:

Play behind better D (most play behind very strong D)
Can see the pucks because they have D clearing the net.
Are physically protected.
Have rebounds that get scooped up by their D. (This is an esp weak spot for us)
Have a decent penalty kill.

Like you said, the league is tight. Having a good D in front of you makes a big difference. Carey Price makes incredible saves all the time. Goals go in against us where Price doesn't see the puck. That's one more goal that we have to deal with that those other teams don't. And many times that's the margin of difference between winning and losing.

It's not a coincidence that all the goalies you mentioned are sitting behind strong D. Ward and Price don't. The players and coaches can see this. That's why Price is held in high esteem by them.


Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 09-17-2013 at 08:40 PM.
Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 08:45 PM
  #87
NewHabsEra*
 
NewHabsEra*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 10,695
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
'Cause last time I checked, I wasn't talking to myself. In that instance, I'm talking to somebody who thinks that we have a way worst D than the Rangers. So I then bring the probably general consensus that Rangers aren't great after all. I think the world out of McDonagh...but I also don't think the Rangers were this great defensive squad that he thought they were.
.
With Emelin in the line-up paired with Markov, we have a solid blueline since Emelin is IMO developing in a pretty strong top 4 defenseman in this league while having obvious chimestry with his fellow Russian.. Emelin is big strong, has great mobility, very decent puck skills, hits strong and can do about everything on the ice outside playing first PP unit.. He is still not quite there yet but very close to be.. Without Emelin, the dynamic of our blueline change completely.. Markov absolutely needs a partner like him to be effective, the guy is getting older, lost a step and hasnt the same stamina as before, so without Emelin, Markov isnt a quality top 4 anymore in my eyes, cant play top minutes with a bottom pairing partner like Subban do or with a guy like Diaz who has some offensive and puckmoving skills but undersized and a bit defensively flawed.. So without Emelin, we only have one real top 4, Subban, who we all know is already among the best of the league but the fact remains that he is our only real top 4 (without Emelin) paired with Gorges, who in reality, isnt anything more than a reliable bottom pairing defenseman.. At the end, we have too many bottom pairing defensemen in this team that have increased roles with the loss of Emelin... the pairings, outside the Subban Gorges one, are just not effective...

While the Rags dont have an elite defenseman like Subban, they still have a very young and dynamic top 4.. McDonagh Stall Del Zotto and Girardi are all legetimate and quality top 4 defensemen in this league.


Last edited by NewHabsEra*: 09-17-2013 at 08:50 PM.
NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 08:52 PM
  #88
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 53,868
vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Those goalies:

Play behind better D (most play behind very strong D)
Can see the pucks because they have D clearing the net.
Are physically protected.
Have rebounds that get scooped up by their D. (This is an esp weak spot for us)
Have a decent penalty kill.

Like you said, the league is tight. Having a good D in front of you makes a big difference. Carey Price makes incredible saves all the time. Goals go in against us where Price doesn't see the puck. That's one more goal that we have to deal with that those other teams don't. And many times that's the margin of difference between winning and losing.

It's not a coincidence that all the goalies you mentioned are sitting behind strong D. Ward and Price don't. The players and coaches can see this. That's why Price is held in high esteem by them.
Well in some esteem as he didn't crack the top 10. Crosby says Price, yet the league says 12. One spot before Smith. So despite the fact that the players and coaches SEE this...they still vote all the others I named, before him. Mind you, personnally, I,m no Price fan, but I have him ahead of Niemi, Schneider. And feel that Bobrovsky needs to give more than 1 good year in a row to be called a top 5 goalie.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 08:53 PM
  #89
Lafleurs Guy
Moderator
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 29,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Well in some esteem as he didn't crack the top 10. Crosby says Price, yet the league says 12. One spot before Smith. So despite the fact that the players and coaches SEE this...they still vote all the others I named, before him. Mind you, personnally, I,m no Price fan, but I have him ahead of Niemi, Schneider. And feel that Bobrovsky needs to give more than 1 good year in a row to be called a top 5 goalie.
Last season he was voted best in the East.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 08:55 PM
  #90
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 15,247
vCash: 500
I don't think Crosby should be commenting about goaltenders. It's a delicate subject. There's someone on the Penguins who might think Sid is taking a carom shot at him.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 08:57 PM
  #91
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 53,868
vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Last season he was voted best in the East.
And this season he's 12th in the league, yet, not counting Detroit and Columbus who weren't in the East when the vote you're talking about took place, 12th in the league means 4th in the East....Best goalie do seemed to be out west...but then with Howard and Bobrovsky in the East now, it looks better for the East.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 08:58 PM
  #92
Frank Drebin
Registered User
 
Frank Drebin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,564
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Last season he was voted best in the East.
Was he though? Honest answer please.

Frank Drebin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 09:00 PM
  #93
the
Registered User
 
the's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,305
vCash: 50
Jose Theodore despite all his flaws and drama was able to make us look good back in 2001-2002 and again in 2003-2004. During the dark age era he put our team on the map.

Cristobal Huet overachieved during his brief tenure with us by giving a crappy team a playoff chance season after season.

Jaroslav Halak always stepped up his game when we needed him even before his miracle run, he took a bottom feeding team and ended up making it a top 4 team in the NHL.

All of them had crappy teams, even crappier teams then Carey Price but they performed with what they had and made our team look good.

Carey Price had his shining moment too back in 2010-2011, that team was horrible and he was able to turn it into a playoff contending team. He was clearly the backbone of that team.

The only problem with Price is that he's been hyped like the second coming of Patrick Roy and the greatest thing since slice bread. We sacrificed goalies that were already doing a excellent job in hope of getting a even bigger return with Price but we never saw the result in 7 seasons except for that great 2010-2011 season.

On paper he looks better then all 3 of them but did he really accomplish more?

the is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 09:25 PM
  #94
Lafleurs Guy
Moderator
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 29,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
And this season he's 12th in the league, yet, not counting Detroit and Columbus who weren't in the East when the vote you're talking about took place, 12th in the league means 4th in the East....Best goalie do seemed to be out west...but then with Howard and Bobrovsky in the East now, it looks better for the East.
Where is he 12th? Who were the voters?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post
Was he though? Honest answer please.
At the time the poll was taken? Sure. Going into last season he was a slam dunk Olympic starter and was consensus top five goalie in the league. 3/4 of the way through last year this was only reinforced.

Then he shat the bed.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 09:27 PM
  #95
Mario Lemieux fan 66
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 768
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the View Post
Jose Theodore despite all his flaws and drama was able to make us look good back in 2001-2002 and again in 2003-2004. During the dark age era he put our team on the map.

Cristobal Huet overachieved during his brief tenure with us by giving a crappy team a playoff chance season after season.

Jaroslav Halak always stepped up his game when we needed him even before his miracle run, he took a bottom feeding team and ended up making it a top 4 team in the NHL.

All of them had crappy teams, even crappier teams then Carey Price but they performed with what they had and made our team look good.

Carey Price had his shining moment too back in 2010-2011, that team was horrible and he was able to turn it into a playoff contending team. He was clearly the backbone of that team.

The only problem with Price is that he's been hyped like the second coming of Patrick Roy and the greatest thing since slice bread. We sacrificed goalies that were already doing a excellent job in hope of getting a even bigger return with Price but we never saw the result in 7 seasons except for that great 2010-2011 season.

On paper he looks better then all 3 of them but did he really accomplish more?
This. Some people will only criticize Price when he will have six Norris trophy winner as dmen. Price is paid like a top 3 goalie in the league and he is so far an average season goalie and a bad playoff performer. I expect Price to take the team to the next level and not only be an average season goalie or bring the team down in playoff.

Mario Lemieux fan 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 09:28 PM
  #96
Price My Man Crush
Registered User
 
Price My Man Crush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Montréal
Posts: 4,833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Where is he 12th? Who were the voters?

At the time the poll was taken? Sure. Going into last season he was a slam dunk Olympic starter and was consensus top five goalie in the league. 3/4 of the way through last year this was only reinforced.

Then he shat the bed.
ESPN. This ranking is ****. Don't bother.

Price My Man Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 09:31 PM
  #97
Lafleurs Guy
Moderator
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 29,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mover View Post
ESPN. This ranking is ****. Don't bother.
So not players and not coaches? Just journalists?

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 09:36 PM
  #98
Price My Man Crush
Registered User
 
Price My Man Crush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Montréal
Posts: 4,833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
So not players and not coaches? Just journalists?
Because you're asking me too many questions, I'll give you the link : http://espn.go.com/nhl/notebook/_/pa...rs/goaltenders

Looks like it was only journalists...

Price My Man Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 09:40 PM
  #99
Lafleurs Guy
Moderator
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 29,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mover View Post
Because you're asking me too many questions, I'll give you the link : http://espn.go.com/nhl/notebook/_/pa...rs/goaltenders

Looks like it was only journalists...
That list is garbage.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 09:45 PM
  #100
Coldplay
Courage
 
Coldplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,581
vCash: 500
Price may have been the best goalie in the league in 2010-2011 and all of the cheques he's cashing right now are because of that one elite season of play.

He's been decidedly above average at best since then.

Let's hope Waite can take him to the next level, to quote Price himself.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:41 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.