HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Barons Lose to Jets 3-2

Old
09-17-2013, 09:57 PM
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter

vCash: 1255
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozwell View Post
it is going to be a long season
i'm fairly negative these last few years, but come on, man.
this early in preseason and you come out with a comment like that?

let the deadweight shake itself out a bit and let the coaches put a team together before you abandon all hope.

it's still at the point of split squad games, gosh darn it.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 09:57 PM
Spawn

vCash: 500
I realllly hope that Belov comes in and just steals that #6 spot. I would hate to have some guy who is junk in the pre-season make the team. It's not depth when you just bring in slugs to compete for a spot.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 09:58 PM
Soundwave

I'm more inclined to give Larsen more chances to show what he's got.

He's six years younger than Grebs and adjusting to a new team, whereas Grebs has had plenty of chances here.

Plus Larsen is right handed shot which would even out our D pairings.

Hopefully Belov is better than both of them though.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 09:58 PM
doulos

Good
- Gagner and Yakupov showing some chemistry, but Yakupov's timing was off. No big deal as last season we saw that once he started finding it he became an absolute monster.
- Petry played well at both ends I thought
- Bachman was steady and kept the team in it. Was pretty happy with his play.
- Joensuu never backed down and had periods of time where he was really imposing his will on the ice. I really like what he brings and he's consistently been doing it thus far. A real pleasant surprise for me and hopefully he can keep doing it as the level of play increases, unlike a guy like Hartikainen could do.
- Pitlick showed well tonight as well. Didn't see him mess up a lot on defense and was hustling hard.

Average
- Klefbom had some decent passing and okay defensive awareness, but also had a couple ugly gaffes and just doesn't show as anything other than average yet. Lots of time yet for him to show more.
- Larsen was up and down. Sure, two points, but he was a bit of a mess at times as well.
- Moroz hustled out there and didn't cost the team.
- Omark is an enigma to me. I didn't think he had a horrible game, but he needs to bring so much more than he currently is to set himself out as an NHL player. Not there yet, but you see what he can do at times and it's frustrating that he can't do it more consistently
- Lander and Arcobello were both ok..

Bad

- Grebeshkov is a complete disaster.
- Ryan Jones was pretty much invisible tonight. He was very good last game, so this doesn't concern me TOO much yet, but it wasn't a stellar game from him.
- Smid struggled.
- Davidson did not impress me and I wonder if he's going to be gone after tonight.

doulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 09:59 PM
hallsyoilerforever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
I realllly hope that Belov comes in and just steals that #6 spot. I would hate to have some guy who is junk in the pre-season make the team. It's not depth when you just bring in slugs to compete for a spot.
Is Belov even going to be in the lineup against the nucks tomorrow? I want to see how the guy plays.

hallsyoilerforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 09:59 PM
McClelland

vCash: 50
They made a game of this at the end, creds for that! Some good stuff in the first before wpg roster advantage took over.

Omark isnt going to be cut soon, would be rather late, book it. He didnt create much and looks lost without the puck,he needs to have the puck alot in a possesion game. No bad turnovers as many others !

Omark 1 p +1 Gagner -1 0 p

Was impressed with Gagners work today , had especially a great shift in pk and some good offensive stuff .

they were up against kane line also.

McClelland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 10:00 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Deer Rebel View Post
Lowetide has already gone on record saying he'll be on the team.

The guy can't skate and has granite hands. Missed the best scoring chance of the game because he can't control a hockey puck.

He's basically a slow version of Ryan Jones.
Hamilton has size and is willing to go to the tough areas on the ice, but I'll take Eager's speed over him and we already have Smyth taking up a spot. Unless he's our 13th or 14th forward, I don't see the appeal unless he has another gear that he didn't show us tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
Probably can cut:

Davidson
Hunt
Moroz
Martindale
Abney
Kessy

At least those 6. Maybe Curtis Hamilton or Khaira see the chopping block soon.
I'd keep the bottom 4 on your list for now. Abney needs to find a dance partner for us to see if he's even good at that part of the game at this point in time. Moroz could use another game or two to gain more confidence, I liked what I saw from him but you know that Winnipeg has a big team when a kid that's 6'2" and 210lbs. doesn't look very big on the ice relative to his competition! Martindale could use some more reps for his confidence as well and he could well be our 1st or 2nd call-up in the event of an injury or two in our bottom 6. Kessy hasn't even gotten into a preseason game and at this point in his career IMO needs to get in at least a couple of them unless he looks terrible in his first one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Larsen fits the "PMD whos bad at D" better than Grebs

Omark didnt have a good game. But his compete level is always there, and on the boards he is still good. I want to see him play 2 more preseason games and 1 or 2 regular season games before writing him off and sending him off in a boat to siberia.

I also think Joensuu is pretty close to passing Jones on the depth chart.

Klefbom looked solid out there. Nothing outstanding, but he still may have rust. I think its a given hes AHL bound for a bit

Heres to hoping Belov is a adequate bottom pairing guy
I fully expect Belov to be an upgrade on Grebs, that said I don't mind Larsen as our #6/7D. He brings a lot more offense than a guy like Potter.

09-17-2013, 10:01 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I'm more inclined to give Larsen more chances to show what he's got.

He's six years younger than Grebs and adjusting to a new team, whereas Grebs has had plenty of chances here.

Plus Larsen is right handed shot which would even out our D pairings.

Hopefully Belov is better than both of them though.
Thinking the same. I didn't see the game tonight, but Grebeshkov wasn't good in the Calgary game and doesn't sound like he was good tonight.

Cautiously optimistic that Belov grabs it by the horns. This guy was one of the best d-men in the KHL last year and is an Olympic hopeful. Hell of a lot more than can be said for Grebeshkov.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 10:01 PM
armandh01

I hope Bachman turns out awesome. It would be nice for the Oilers to grab a random player who turns out great once and awhile.

armandh01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 10:02 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Joensuu has been a lot better than I thought he would. He looks like the guy who could step into the top 6 at the start of the season.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 10:02 PM
jp7

vCash: 50
Didn't expect much with our lineup, nice push at the end though, hilarious that another poster called that Larsen goal . Can't wait to see Belov

jp7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 10:03 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallsyoilerforever View Post
Is Belov even going to be in the lineup against the nucks tomorrow? I want to see how the guy plays.
I don't think he's going to play until the weekend, but I'd like to see him play tomorrow if he's not too jet lagged still.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 10:04 PM
Joey Moss

vCash: 226
I doubt they are going to cut anyone until tomorrows game but I think locks to be cut from this group are Martindale, Abney and Davidson. Martindale wasn't bad but the roster needs to be trimmed and he isn't beating out anyone. Davidson looked alright in the 1st, bad for the rest but his situation is the same as Martindale's. Abney is simply awful.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 10:04 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Thinking the same. I didn't see the game tonight, but Grebeshkov wasn't good in the Calgary game and doesn't sound like he was good tonight.

Cautiously optimistic that Belov grabs it by the horns. This guy was one of the best d-men in the KHL last year and is an Olympic hopeful. Hell of a lot more than can be said for Grebeshkov.
Its so weird with Edmonton media. Most of them had Grebs penciled into the bottom pairing spot over Belov even though Grebs was horrible in the KHL and Belov was regarded as one of the best KHL D and an olympic candidate

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 10:05 PM
Red Deer Rebel

The Oil Kings have a game Friday, so Moroz is likely gone so he can join his junior team.

Having said this, I didn't mind his game at all for a 19 yr old. He hustled all night and showed some good offensive instincts on his goal.

Don't know why people have already written him off as a bad pick.

Red Deer Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 10:07 PM
Mr Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Its so weird with Edmonton media. Most of them had Grebs penciled into the bottom pairing spot over Belov even though Grebs was horrible in the KHL and Belov was regarded as one of the best KHL D and an olympic candidate
Belov wasn't invited to olympic camp right? What was up with that?

Old
09-17-2013, 10:07 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Deer Rebel View Post
The Oil Kings have a game Friday, so Moroz is likely gone so he can join his junior team.

Having said this, I didn't mind his game at all for a 19 yr old. He hustled all night and showed some good offensive instincts on his goal.

Don't know why people have already written him off as a bad pick.
That's my thought as well. I liked him better than Pitlick tonight.

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 10:08 PM
iCanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
He was top player for Russia in last WC.

I figure they just Salty he not in the K anymore.

iCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 10:08 PM
hallsyoilerforever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I don't think he's going to play until the weekend, but I'd like to see him play tomorrow if he's not too jet lagged still.
Darn. The jet lag makes sense. But I'll love to see him crush the Sedins..

hallsyoilerforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 10:09 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

My problem with Pitlick is he takes shots when he has more ice to skate forward and he doesn't bring it to the net or distribute appropriately. Otherwise, I like his hustle and when he hits he makes contact well.

Larsen definitely roams the offensive zone well and activates on the rush eagerly, but if he's deficient in his defensive zone he's not going to be long for this team. Grebs brings chaos in his own zone but he may be a better option to transition and play positionally as a defenseman. They'll get more games till a decision is made.

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 10:10 PM
KlimasLoveChild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Most of their best d aren't in the Khl im thinking....This guy is the Russian Pronger book it

KlimasLoveChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 10:10 PM
speeds

If Larsen is close to the other bubble D, I'd be somewhat suprised if he were sent down. The reason being that he is younger than the rest of the D, and potentially under team control for a few more years vs. Belov, Grebeshkov and Potter who are all UFA's next summer.

If the Oilers think Larsen has longer term potential to be developed, why would they risk him to waivers if his performance is on par with the other players who are UFA next summer?

speeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 10:12 PM
Mr Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
My problem with Pitlick is he takes shots when he has more ice to skate forward and he doesn't bring it to the net or distribute appropriately. Otherwise, I like his hustle and when he hits he makes contact well.

Larsen definitely roams the offensive zone well and activates on the rush eagerly, but if he's deficient in his defensive zone he's not going to be long for this team. Grebs brings chaos in his own zone but he may be a better option to transition and play positionally as a defenseman. They'll get more games till a decision is made.
I'd like to see them try Pitlick in two roles:

1 Riding shotgun with RNH and Hall

2 In a pure bottom six role as a grinder

Old
09-17-2013, 10:14 PM
Red Deer Rebel

I like Larsen better than Grebeshkov or Potter.

Red Deer Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 10:15 PM
Smartguy

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
i'm fairly negative these last few years, but come on, man.
this early in preseason and you come out with a comment like that?

let the deadweight shake itself out a bit and let the coaches put a team together before you abandon all hope.

it's still at the point of split squad games, gosh darn it.
Some people I tell ya, I'm not concerned at all with the loss or a couple bad plays, it's preseason. Glad to hear that joensuu is playing good seems like he should have a good chance to start on our third line at least? Also how did lander look? It's really between him and acton for the the 4th line centre. Hopefully belov plays soon and impresses doesn't seem like anyone is really taking that 6th d spot just yet. Though I'm running of what people are saying for this game as I wasn't able to stream it.

Smartguy is offline   Reply With Quote