HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Unretiring numbers?

Old
09-17-2013, 08:26 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

vCash: 500
Unretiring numbers?

Sabres fan (seriously) coming in peace.

Having a discussion about unretiring numbers (it happens once in a while). What do Habs fans think about the prospect of unretiring guys like Elmer Lach or Howie Morenz? What does having the numbers in the rafters mean for you, as fans, if no one you know ever saw them play? Is it meaningful to have those numbers up there for you, and if so, why?

I'm not targeting the Habs in particular or trying to suggest your greats were anything less than greats, you're just such a storied franchise that you're the first to come to mind when I thought of who might have jerseys up there that folks don't know anymore.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 08:29 PM
Hullois

Hell no

Hullois is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 08:36 PM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

As long as there are enough numbers available, I don't see the point in un-retiring anyone. It would just look bad on the organization.

Lach and Morenz are the legends from the yesteryear, their place among the team greats is well deserved.

Dr Gonzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 08:37 PM
Lars Mon Amour
Mon beau Lars

Koivu will be next, hopefully.

Lars Mon Amour is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 08:38 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Absolutely not interested in this for any reason. If the organization thought those players and numbers should be retired, no one within the organization should ever be allowed to over turn it. I don't see why any number needs to be unretired. With great success, comes a lot of great players that deserve to be recognized for as long as the franchise continues to compete.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 08:40 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mover View Post
I don't see any reason to retire his number, and I hope the Habs don't retire his number.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 08:43 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Sacrilege. Not a chance. It's our history. The greats that made the game better and built this team's history. There were many but they are all legends.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 08:47 PM
Teufelsdreck

Oh, definitely! Every rookie should get the chance to wear 9 on his jersey, just like Maurice Richard.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 08:49 PM
JPGoHabsGo

Just because they played in the 30's 40's 50's and such doesn't mean they are not relevant now. Morenz was the first great star and Lach was part of the Punch Line. They are both important to our history and deserve to be there, no reason to take them down. The idea of retiring a number is that the player(s) who wore that number are honored forever, and it will stay that way.

JPGoHabsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 08:54 PM
The Russian General
Força Portugal

It's not about what it means to us today, it's about what it means to the history of the Montreal Canadiens. In that regards, they highly deserve this honor and it shouldn't be removed.

The Russian General is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 08:54 PM
donghabs98

vCash: 50
Retiring someone's number would be a huge act of disrespect. In no way should a number ever be unretired.

donghabs98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 09:01 PM
thom

Morenz is an icon in Montreal only 3 are bigger.When he died over 15000 came to funeral.Not bad for an anglaphone.Outside of molson centre statues of Morenz Beliveau Richard and Lafleur are there.AS for Koivu a good guy but his number will never be retired

thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 09:04 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
Sabres fan (seriously) coming in peace.

Having a discussion about unretiring numbers (it happens once in a while). What do Habs fans think about the prospect of unretiring guys like Elmer Lach or Howie Morenz? What does having the numbers in the rafters mean for you, as fans, if no one you know ever saw them play? Is it meaningful to have those numbers up there for you, and if so, why?

I'm not targeting the Habs in particular or trying to suggest your greats were anything less than greats, you're just such a storied franchise that you're the first to come to mind when I thought of who might have jerseys up there that folks don't know anymore.
1st : Lach's number was retired 3 years ago.
2nd : Morenz was exposed at Le Forum. In 1937. 50 000 people or so turned in for the funeral.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 09:13 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Honestly, once it's done, it's done. But I would have reserved it a even more reserved list...the ultra great. There are too many now and for me, it kinda diluted the process. You retire the ultra great (not going into names, don't want the debate), you do something else for the others, a kinda of mention without retiring their jersey.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 09:16 PM
habamillions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mover View Post
I doubt it. look at how quickly they passed his number around gomez now gallagher. if they thought highly of him they wouldn't have let anyone wear 11

habamillions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 09:21 PM
attachetatuque
un gros bonhomme!

Un-retiring a number would make me sick.

If there is one thing we Habs fans are proud of is our history. After all, we are LE CLUB de hockey!

attachetatuque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 09:26 PM
Beendair Donedat

Legends are honored here. Their contributions will never be forgotten and their names/numbers will be here for eternity. "To you from failing hands we throw the torch... Be yours to hold it high."

To downplay the people who built this franchise and contributed to it's greatness because someone doesn't know the history is as ridiculous as the new "don't keep score" sports, or "everybody gets a trophy" day.

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 09:27 PM
AntonCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Honestly, once it's done, it's done. But I would have reserved it a even more reserved list...the ultra great. There are too many now and for me, it kinda diluted the process. You retire the ultra great (not going into names, don't want the debate), you do something else for the others, a kinda of mention without retiring their jersey.
You're absolutely right
That's what the ring of honor is for, (such as the rightful place of Roy)

To the OP, not going to comment on your team, their history or lack of greatness.
Some very special players have worn the red white and blue. The same individuals bled red white and blue, and the best of them have their numbers up in the rafters.
In buffalo's short existence they have retired 6 numbers, so let me ask you; what if we un-retire perrault/martin/robert?
Or better yet lafontaine?

Perhaps it will fly in Buffalo, but in Montreal as a previous poster mentioned its sacrilege!!

AntonCH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 09:37 PM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate

If you start unretiring numbers, where would it stop? In any event, there are so many possibilities with double digits, and let's face it, Cups are few and far between for the Canadiens, so that the pace of retiring numbers has come to a screeching halt.

VirginiaMtlExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 09:43 PM
Grant McCagg

I've taken pride in Habs players having 'odd numbers" for the past three decades because of all the retirements. It's a testament to the Habs' unparalleled legacy.

I don't think any of the retired numbers are questionable - especially not Morenz. He was the top player on the planet in his prime..an absolute superstar.

Should we unretire Gretzky's number because there are 12 -year-olds that never saw him play?

So what if a player has to wear a higher number - a two digit number is a two digit number whether it's 13 or 96..and besides..the most decorated player of all time wore 99.....

Grant McCagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 10:02 PM
MDN

I would never agree to such a thing. Having as many retired numbers as we do is proof that the Habs really are the most storied franchise in hockey.

I never saw a lot of those guys play, but what they contributed to this team and this city should be remembered, and honored.

MDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 10:27 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
To the OP, not going to comment on your team, their history or lack of greatness.
Some very special players have worn the red white and blue. The same individuals bled red white and blue, and the best of them have their numbers up in the rafters.
In buffalo's short existence they have retired 6 numbers, so let me ask you; what if we un-retire perrault/martin/robert?
Or better yet lafontaine?
Yeah, well I wouldn't be suggesting it if I wasn't considering how it would feel for our fans. We have a couple great players, but IMO we also have some numbers that probably didn't need retired.

My whole thesis is that there will come a time, even if it hasn't yet, when folks start to forget who those players were, even with the banner up there to remind them. And when that happens, and folks don't have any passion or appreciation for those players, you might as well take them down.

But the consensus from your boards is loud and clear, and to be fair, most Buffalo fans disagree with this idea as well.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 10:32 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Once it's done it's done. However, we should never have retired Cournoyer, Geoffrion, Moore, Bouchard and Gainey's #. They're not in the same class as the other retired #. That's unfortunate imo.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 10:48 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
But then again, there are people like the OP (and no offence to the OP) who suggests Morenz as a guy to unretire.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 10:56 PM
Forsead

Well unless there is a guy that is sentenced for a major crime that would be a major direspect. Also, till there's 50 numbers available there's no problems at all and I don't think we'll see someone being retired before possibly 15 years, since they will probably don't retire Lapointe.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote