HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Derek Stepan Negotiations (9/19-Dreger: "Unlikely" Stepan signs before season opens)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-17-2013, 04:59 PM
  #226
Gardner McKay
Moderator
Hey Hey
 
Gardner McKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 11,552
vCash: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
If you totally overrate Richards and Brassard, which you've done here, you have a point.
Richards had a bad season last year. Historically he has been a #1 or #2 center. Brassard, like Stepan had a great season. Brassard unlike Stepan, led our team during the playoffs in points.

If Brassard is over rated because of 1 good shortened season/playoff run then so is Stepan.

__________________
"If someone offers you an amazing opportunity and you're not sure you can do it, say yes - then learn how to do it later" - Richard Branson

Last edited by Gardner McKay: 09-18-2013 at 10:47 AM.
Gardner McKay is online now  
Old
09-17-2013, 04:59 PM
  #227
shinchanyo
Registered User
 
shinchanyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Here
Posts: 2,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
I haven't seen anyone try to apply logic on this board in a long time.
It's a problem it really is lol It's a little bit of an exaggeration there is some good stuff we had a full page dedicated to good cap talk and whatnot. Certain people just get away with murder I think and other people are tired of it so everyone hates everyone

shinchanyo is offline  
Old
09-17-2013, 05:05 PM
  #228
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,597
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardner McKay View Post
Richards had a bad season last year. Historically he has been a #1 or #2 center. Brassard, like Stepan had a great season. Brassard unlike Stepan, led our team during the playoffs in points.

If Brassard is over rated because of 1 good shortened season/playoff run then so is Stepan.
Uhhuh, I'd be curious to see if you felt the same way in a normal situation -- in other words, if thats what you really think and its not just because your panties are in a bunch about the contract situation.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
09-17-2013, 05:08 PM
  #229
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 32,169
vCash: 500
Bob McKenzie reported last night that Stepan's agents want more than $3.5M per. The Rangers are willing to pay $3M or a little higher than $3M. Stepan is getting bad advice here.

Bob said the issue with Lundqvist is term. Don Meehan was in New York last week to meet with Sather

http://video.tsn.ca/?dl=main/latest/...04806/clip/400

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
09-17-2013, 05:08 PM
  #230
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 10,786
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinchanyo View Post
It's a problem it really is lol It's a little bit of an exaggeration there is some good stuff we had a full page dedicated to good cap talk and whatnot. Certain people just get away with murder I think and other people are tired of it so everyone hates everyone
Nah, I hated everyone long before I ever found these boards.

Can't wait for this to be over so people can find something more meaningful to fight over.

BrooklynRangersFan is online now  
Old
09-17-2013, 05:09 PM
  #231
PIM
Registered User
 
PIM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Uhhuh, I'd be curious to see if you felt the same way in a normal situation -- in other words, if thats what you really think and its not just because your panties are in a bunch about the contract situation.
I'm pretty sure most people *wouldn't rather have Richards than Stepan. If Brad was bought out, Stepan would've been signed months ago. But that's just not the situation we're in. So given the circumstances, I think the point is fair.


Last edited by PIM: 09-17-2013 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Edit: got my point backwards!
PIM is offline  
Old
09-17-2013, 05:14 PM
  #232
Lerb
Registered User
 
Lerb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,590
vCash: 500
$3.6M is way too much for Stepan. If he gets $3.6M, the essence of a bridge contract will be lost aside from term length.

MDZ had a great year in 11/12 over 82 and got $2.55. Step had a great half year but is more important to the team than MDZ. $3.1M is plenty. Best bridge deal you're gonna get with NYR.

Lerb is offline  
Old
09-17-2013, 05:17 PM
  #233
OverTheCap
Registered User
 
OverTheCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9,851
vCash: 500
More than $3.5 per? Hmm, this may go on longer than I thought.

It's not the end of the world if Stepan misses 1-1.5 weeks of camp, but he needs to be in training camp at some point so he can acclimate to AV and his new system, and so the coaching staff has a better understanding of what the lines will be. If Stepan was already familiar with the coach/system, I would be a a little less concerned with him missing camp.

OverTheCap is online now  
Old
09-17-2013, 05:22 PM
  #234
Krampus
Call me Nils
 
Krampus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NYC
Country: Austria
Posts: 18,639
vCash: 420
So it's just Stepan's agent that's a ddelusional *******?

Krampus is offline  
Old
09-17-2013, 05:29 PM
  #235
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,597
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PIM View Post
I'm pretty sure most people *wouldn't rather have Richards than Stepan. If Brad was bought out, Stepan would've been signed months ago. But that's just not the situation we're in. So given the circumstances, I think the point is fair.
I think "Stepan better watch out because we have a ton of center depth" is a wayward argument to say the least -- and I think its a byproduct of the claws coming out because he hasn't signed yet.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
09-17-2013, 05:32 PM
  #236
PIM
Registered User
 
PIM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I think "Stepan better watch out because we have a ton of center depth" is a wayward argument to say the least -- and I think its a byproduct of the claws coming out because he hasn't signed yet.
It's how the negotiation can reasonably be framed, combined with his lack of arbitration rights, to show that he has no leverage.

PIM is offline  
Old
09-17-2013, 05:35 PM
  #237
lucky13
Iron Chic
 
lucky13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: selden...L.I.
Country: United States
Posts: 682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I think "Stepan better watch out because we have a ton of center depth" is a wayward argument to say the least -- and I think its a byproduct of the claws coming out because he hasn't signed yet.
yea its pretty lame....getting angry at either side over this is lame in general....its part of the business, every team has to go thru it every cpl years

lucky13 is offline  
Old
09-17-2013, 05:38 PM
  #238
Thirty One
portnor, pls
 
Thirty One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,001
vCash: 420
Obviously the team would be a lot better with Stepan in the lineup, but his absence isn't going to crush the team like it may have in previous years.

Thirty One is online now  
Old
09-17-2013, 09:16 PM
  #239
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 17,114
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PIM View Post
Stepan is wrong because he has no cards to play. He has no arbitration rights and we have more depth down the middle than we've had in a long time, including two top 6 centers in Richards and Brassard. We have a very tight salary cap situation.

From a negotiation perspective, all of this makes Stepan expendable. He hasn't produced consistently at an elite pace yet, he had one breakout half season and showed a high ceiling prior to that but didn't perform at a level that warrants anything besides a bridge contract.

He also said in his exit interview that he wants to stay and retire with the Rangers, claiming he cares about the team, but his demand of more pay could cripple at least part of the team because of the cap situation. It's not like Sather wants to sign him to 3 mil a year for the next 6 years, it's a bridge deal. He's still young.

If he wants to be here, and he thinks he can perform at a high level, let him prove it for 2 years. If not, let him get offer sheeted and take the first rounders.
Stepan's ace in the hole is his services that happen to be worth more that what he is being offered and what he is willing to settle for.

Players say an awful lot of things before they get to free agency.

As for Stepan the player, he's done nothing but get better as a player in all facets of the game.

And if you really believe having both Richards and Brassard means that Stepan is expendable, then I have two bridges to sell you, close in proximity and they connect Manhattan to Brooklyn

pld459666 is offline  
Old
09-17-2013, 09:24 PM
  #240
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 17,114
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PIM View Post
Calling Richards and Brassard top 6 centers is no more an overrating than calling Stepan a PPG player is. Brassard produced at the same pace as Stepan for us last year, and Richards has made a career out of being a legit top 6 center. He had one bad half season where Stepan and Brass both had one great one.
1.14
1.07
.80
.74

Those are the Points per games averages for Brad Richards over the last 4 years.

the top two represent the two seasons prior to coming to NY, the bottom two represent his time in NY.

Not to mention that Richards has been force fed prolific goal scoring wingers the last 2 years with 2 very legit 40 goal threats at the same time.

Overall it represents OBVIOUS decline.

.55
.62
.92

Those numbers represent the points per game averages for Derek Stepan, the top number being his rookie season, the bottom number being last year.

The trend is clear and cannot be argued.

I like Brassard and hope that he finds his game here in NY. He's a solid 2nd/3rd line center

pld459666 is offline  
Old
09-17-2013, 10:33 PM
  #241
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,516
vCash: 500
Who is leasing this info? Don't believe most of what you hear about these types of negotiations.

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
09-17-2013, 10:49 PM
  #242
Ail
Girardi Sucks
 
Ail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mysidia
Country: United States
Posts: 18,274
vCash: 500
Trade imminent. He want to go to Carolina to play with his brothers.






...

Ail is offline  
Old
09-17-2013, 11:59 PM
  #243
Gardner McKay
Moderator
Hey Hey
 
Gardner McKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 11,552
vCash: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Uhhuh, I'd be curious to see if you felt the same way in a normal situation -- in other words, if thats what you really think and its not just because your panties are in a bunch about the contract situation.
No need to be a **** simply because I proved your point to be wrong. I have no issues with the contract negotiations. I have an issue if he is holding out over $250k.

Gardner McKay is online now  
Old
09-18-2013, 12:41 AM
  #244
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride
 
NY Lito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 989
vCash: 500
I really don't think both sides are going back and forth with numbers so to speak. I think both sides are just waiting to see who blinks first. The question is who does and when. If I was a betting man I'd say Stepan and his reps give in before we leave for the West coast.

If that doesn't happen...well ****.

NY Lito is offline  
Old
09-18-2013, 12:43 AM
  #245
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 32,169
vCash: 500
Larry Brooks is reporting there has been no progress in these talks and each side is more harder in their position. Day eight. It will pass Dubinsky which was eight days. I know business is business but Stepan has a funny way of showing he wants to be a Ranger for his entire career. http://nypost.com/2013/09/17/no-room...t-an-enforcer/

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
09-18-2013, 12:55 AM
  #246
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,546
vCash: 500
If Stepan is watching Brassard play, he should be worried about being "replaceable" Brassard, since he came here, has been our #1 center.

Inferno is offline  
Old
09-18-2013, 01:48 AM
  #247
Fanned On It
Registered User
 
Fanned On It's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,902
vCash: 500
Wah wah wah is all I see in this thread.

Fanned On It is offline  
Old
09-18-2013, 02:03 AM
  #248
Miz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 204
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
If Stepan is watching Brassard play, he should be worried about being "replaceable" Brassard, since he came here, has been our #1 center.
He's not, he watching Richards play and is laughing all the way to the bank.

Miz is offline  
Old
09-18-2013, 03:33 AM
  #249
mike14
Registered User
 
mike14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Melbourne
Country: Australia
Posts: 4,515
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miz View Post
He's not, he watching Richards play and is laughing all the way to the bank.
??

Richards is getting paid, Step is not...

mike14 is offline  
Old
09-18-2013, 04:06 AM
  #250
Faxius
Registered User
 
Faxius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 541
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
Trade imminent. He want to go to Carolina to play with his brothers.






...
I laughed at first, but then I remembered he has a cousin that's a prospect for the Nashville Predators!




Faxius is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:05 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.