HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs Cuts (28th: Dumont clears waivers)

Old
09-17-2013, 11:20 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
You're making it personal and I doubt that it is. In the end the GM is judged by how well the team does and not how well "his boys" do. You can do better than that
It's not personal. It's just logical. You trade for a player, and you think he's not too far from the NHL. You're not gonna keep him there to see what he can do? You're not going to be slightly more patient with him? You're not going to test him out by making him play with your best center if an injury happens?
There's nothing surprising here.

Just like Briere will get ice time right off the bat, he also gets sheltered minutes and the best winger by his side.

This is just how things go. They'll get the chances at first, if they make nothing of it, that will change.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 11:35 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

LL should have kept until the end of the preseason instead he was rewarded by an early cut. Not against sending him down but too soon, not fair.

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 12:01 AM
Habbadasher

When all is said and done, I just hope we don't loose yet another first rounder for next to nothing.

I was at the game where LL got injured last year and he was arguably the best player on our team that night, before his injury. He went into the dirty areas, and often came away with the puck. I saw that two years ago, I saw it last year (pre-injury), and I saw it this year. How many of our players can you say that about?

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 12:07 AM
Phil Parent
HALL PASS BRAH!!

50 points in two years at the pro level for a forward. Usually, those kind of guys play in Germany after the third year, unless their crazy good at something other than offense.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 05:39 AM
McPheesMoustache
No Scrubs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB View Post
LL should have kept until the end of the preseason instead he was rewarded by an early cut. Not against sending him down but too soon, not fair.
Maybe questions arent about skill but character...

Hey, go down to the AHL its not fair, its wrong... ok... you gonna cry about it and pout, play like youre too good to be there, or, you gonna get mad? gonna prove you should be in the NHL? Ive seen Mtl baby too many prospects based on skill (Ribs comes to mind) , yeah they can play in the NHL, but they never earned it.. they get their wake-up only with another team... glad to see them wait to find out if LeBlanc gets his with us ( a la Pacioretty).

McPheesMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 05:55 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
You're making it personal and I doubt that it is. In the end the GM is judged by how well the team does and not how well "his boys" do. You can do better than that
Well since his boys were brought in so that the team does better in his opinion, I'm pretty sure it goes together. Of course, when there are already established stars in the team, you won't replace them to let room for a 4th line pluggers you just got. Also the thinking that goes with the replacement of a coach when a new GM is appointed....pretty sure that not all the coaches that were replaced by the GM's were all garbage, but when it's not YOUR guy, it's easier to replace.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 06:23 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habbadasher View Post
When all is said and done, I just hope we don't loose yet another first rounder for next to nothing.

I was at the game where LL got injured last year and he was arguably the best player on our team that night, before his injury. He went into the dirty areas, and often came away with the puck. I saw that two years ago, I saw it last year (pre-injury), and I saw it this year. How many of our players can you say that about?
LL in the dirty areas?

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 07:05 AM
Top Corner2

I don't think this is a bad thing for Leblanc. He was bound for Hamilton anyway. Now he can head down there and hopefully play with a chip on his shoulder and work his but off to get back up here.

If he can't use this as motivation, and chooses to whine instead....then he probably won't amount to much anyway.

Top Corner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 07:20 AM
Grant McCagg
@grantmccagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
It's not personal. It's just logical. You trade for a player, and you think he's not too far from the NHL. You're not gonna keep him there to see what he can do? You're not going to be slightly more patient with him? You're not going to test him out by making him play with your best center if an injury happens?
There's nothing surprising here.

Just like Briere will get ice time right off the bat, he also gets sheltered minutes and the best winger by his side.

This is just how things go. They'll get the chances at first, if they make nothing of it, that will change.
A player that scored 19 goals as an AHL rookie is going to survive the first round of cuts on a team lacking goal scorers whether he was just traded for or not.

Not sure why deep speculation/conspiracy theories are a prerequisite for every move the GM makes or doesn't make.

Grant McCagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 08:07 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
50 points in two years at the pro level for a forward. Usually, those kind of guys play in Germany after the third year, unless their crazy good at something other than offense.
He definitely had a rough year last year, but those numbers don't paint a true picture of his 1st year as a pro at 20. He started with 22 points in 31 games, which is excellent for a 20 year old...on pace for 58 points, but he was called up to the Habs due to a pile of injuries plus some deadline dumping of a few UFA's. He didn't embarass himself in the NHL but he wasn't ready to be a full time NHLer.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 09:33 AM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
He definitely had a rough year last year, but those numbers don't paint a true picture of his 1st year as a pro at 20. He started with 22 points in 31 games, which is excellent for a 20 year old...on pace for 58 points, but he was called up to the Habs due to a pile of injuries plus some deadline dumping of a few UFA's. He didn't embarass himself in the NHL but he wasn't ready to be a full time NHLer.
Leblanc is not banned from Montreal.

A mountain out of a mole hill.

Play hard Leblanc, score a pile of goals and he will be welcomed back to Montreal. Everything else is over-reaction.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 09:39 AM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Well since his boys were brought in so that the team does better in his opinion, I'm pretty sure it goes together. Of course, when there are already established stars in the team, you won't replace them to let room for a 4th line pluggers you just got. Also the thinking that goes with the replacement of a coach when a new GM is appointed....pretty sure that not all the coaches that were replaced by the GM's were all garbage, but when it's not YOUR guy, it's easier to replace.
I think you are reading more into this than what is there... at least I hope so. Above all else, I want management to choose its roster on merit. If you are right, that is not good but in the end all would be forgiven if the Habs are successful. It can be a cruel business for those involved.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 02:15 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
A player that scored 19 goals as an AHL rookie is going to survive the first round of cuts on a team lacking goal scorers whether he was just traded for or not.

Not sure why deep speculation/conspiracy theories are a prerequisite for every move the GM makes or doesn't make.
Surely, but I never said otherwise. But I don't think it's a deep speculation/conspiracy theory to believe someone management traded for and believes is close to the NHL will get a much bigger rope than someone like LL, even if he was struggling. It's only normal and logical to be more patient with guys you pursue.

And again, the point isn't that Thomas should be cut, it's more that there really was no need to cut LL this early.

Old
09-18-2013, 02:35 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Leblanc is not banned from Montreal.

A mountain out of a mole hill.

Play hard Leblanc, score a pile of goals and he will be welcomed back to Montreal. Everything else is over-reaction.
I don't see a mountain, I just see people finding it strange he was cut so early after being one of the best young players in scrimmages and preseason action. If it was purely on performance, he'd still be there.

Old
09-18-2013, 02:44 PM
Sorinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post

Well as an AHL rookie Leblanc scored 11 goals in 31 games so was more productive than Thomas was. Since he seemed like he was back on track after a bad year it's hard to say Thomas's offensive potential is really that much higher than Leblanc's. Also why do you think we lack goal scorers, we finished 4th in the league for goals last year.

It certainly seems like they had decided over the summer that Leblanc needed to go back to the AHL rather than see what happens at camp.

Sorinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 02:46 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

It may have been mentionned earlier in the thread but.....

I know Dumont has to go through waivers if he s sent down. Anyone else other than that ?

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 02:50 PM
PKtrollban
PK for Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post

It certainly seems like they had decided over the summer that Leblanc needed to go back to the AHL rather than see what happens at camp.
And that's the right decision if you ask me. At this point, Leblanc is even unproven to be good / consistent enough for the AHL.

PKtrollban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 02:53 PM
gunnerdom
Go HABS Go!!!!

Send a message via MSN to gunnerdom
Well in case you guys missed this, Therrien said they sent LL down because they know what he has to offer already, but the other guys like McCarron, Thomas, etc, they don't know them as well. They were kept to check them out further. So there you go.

Which just makes sense.

gunnerdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 02:57 PM
Sorinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmurfsFTW View Post
And that's the right decision if you ask me. At this point, Leblanc is even unproven to be good / consistent enough for the AHL.
I don't think many will argue he deserved a spot on the main roster, but he deserved a chance to prove himself (Just like every other player) and it doesn't look like he got a fair shot. Which isn't not a good decision no matter who the player is.

Sorinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 03:01 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
That's completely ridiculous.
Kid has one bad season after suffering an injury that set him back, and now he's not even capable of playing well in the AHL??

There was no question that he was going back to the AHL. I'm pretty sure even he knew that coming into camp. But he was one of our best prospects in camp. There was no need to send him down this early, and there's really no argument to counter this.
Even if you think he isn't ready, there's no space, he should prove himself in AHL first, wtv, it's still not a reason as to why he needed to be cut this early.

Old
09-18-2013, 03:06 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 131313 View Post

I know Dumont has to go through waivers if he s sent down. Anyone else other than that ?
Tokarski and Blunden, I think? I'm hoping to see Moen waived, but I don't think there's any chance of that happening.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 03:07 PM
Agalloch

Quote:
Originally Posted by 131313 View Post

He's exempt.

http://capgeek.com/waiver-calculator...o=0&Calculate=

Agalloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 03:15 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
He was both good anmd consistant his rookie year.

Old
09-18-2013, 03:18 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agalloch View Post
That info is not accurate, he has 3 years AHL, not two.

Old
09-18-2013, 03:33 PM
Habaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agalloch View Post
Does the NHL know about this? And if so, do they agree?

Habaddict is offline   Reply With Quote