HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Crosby proclaims Price the best goalie in the league.

Old
09-17-2013, 09:50 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
That list is garbage.
You are right. Price should not have even made the list.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 09:56 PM
MDN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekar View Post
Only these stupid Montreal fans...

Crosby: Price is the best goalie in the league.
Habs fans: What an idiot!

You people make me homicidal sometimes.
Word for word, I have to agree lol

MDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 10:06 PM
Lafleurs Guy

On a sidenote, looking at the ESPN list for blueliners. McDonnaugh is number 10. Pietrangelo did not make the list. Subban was 6th.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 10:42 PM
bjac

The people in this thread ripping on Crosby's opinion are funny. Do you seriously think you know more about hockey than the best player in the world OR have the more first hand experience playing against these goalies than he does? I don't think Price is the best, but I do think he is one of the best. Its cute that people think they know more on the topic than Sidney Crosby. There are a lot of poster who look pretty stupid.....

bjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 10:46 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjac View Post
The people in this thread ripping on Crosby's opinion are funny. Do you seriously think you know more about hockey than the best player in the world OR have the more first hand experience playing against these goalies than he does? I don't think Price is the best, but its cute that people think they know more on the topic than Sidney Crosby. There are a lot of poster who look pretty stupid.....
Funny... You put down people who disagree with Crosby...then you proceed to disagree....with...Crosby.

hockeyfan2k11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 10:46 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Even if we take the ESPN one ... Shouldnt we be happy to have the 12th best Goalie in the league ? Shouldn't we ? That's a legitimate starter. Thats a player you CANT upgrade on.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 10:53 PM
bjac

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Funny... You put down people who disagree with Crosby...then you proceed to disagree....with...Crosby.
I think Price is one of the best goalies in the league and Crosby gave him credit for that by saying he is THE best. Just because I think Hank is better doesn't mean that I don't think that Price is close behind him. So in the end, our opinions (Crosby and mine) are a lot closer than you claim they are.

Some posters on these boards would have us believe that we have one of the worst goalies in the league. The hate is getting unbearable. Its like a bunch of kids on a school yard who have no idea what they are talking about.

Crosby`s opinion definitely carries more weight than mine and is probably more accurate, at least I am smart enough to admit that.

Last edited by bjac: 09-17-2013 at 11:40 PM.
bjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 11:01 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
That list is garbage.
Just like the one the one where they say Jake Muzzin is in the top50 for Dmen.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 05:27 AM
Perrah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Do LG posts throw up the bat signal for you? Perhaps you should have some bat signals for price threads in 2010-11 when you didnt post at all. I suppose that is different though because you would have had to give him credit.

Perrah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 05:40 AM
Whitesnake
Stormbringer

vCash: 725
Quote:
Where is he 12th? Who were the voters?
http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/9670826/
http://espn.go.com/nhl/notebook/_/pa...rs/goaltenders

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 05:51 AM
Whitesnake
Stormbringer

vCash: 725
Quote:
That list is garbage.
Of course it's garbage, 'cause you don't agree with it. I do have my share of problems with it from Bobrovsky, but mostly Schneider, yet they are talking about ACTUAL play. Not potential. Bobrovsky was lights out last year hence his position. Could drop to 50th if he plays like Philly Bobrovsky. But how can you be against the rest of the top 10? ON ACTUAL PLAY???

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 06:34 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Of course it's garbage, 'cause you don't agree with it. I do have my share of problems with it from Bobrovsky, but mostly Schneider, yet they are talking about ACTUAL play. Not potential. Bobrovsky was lights out last year hence his position. Could drop to 50th if he plays like Philly Bobrovsky. But how can you be against the rest of the top 10? ON ACTUAL PLAY???
If you also agree that this list has his share of problems, then perhaps it is indeed flawed.
I don't think Niemi, Crawford, Schneider should be part of the top 10.

Bobrovsky has had one great season, but he barely has over 100 games played. Anderson has had average numbers every time he played as a #1 with 60 games+.
Rask is playing for one of the best defensive system in the NHL and has arguably the best Dman in front of him. Even hall of famer Brodeur looked worse when he lost the strong defense and system of NJ. Not that Rask is bad, he's very solid, but I would love to see how he'd play with our type of defense.
So if we're talking last year only, it makes a little more sense, but if we're talking general, then I tend to agree that it has lots of flaws.

As for Crosby, well, just like this list, it's just the opinion of a player. The best player in the league, but still, he faces eastern guys a lot more than western, so that must also be taken into consideration.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 06:42 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
He said what he said in the end it's up to Price to play like people expect him to and he will get the recognition he deserves at that point. Once he leads this team deep into the playoffs, makes team Canada and leads them to gold at the Olympics, then we can talk about him as the best in the league.

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 07:00 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

People who live in Quebec will remember a show at Musique Plus many years ago called "L'gros show", featuring Mike Ward. In an episode, the two main protagonists hang out with one of their "friend", who knows the list of all the greatest drummers in the world. Every time they name one, he's able to smugly tell them how "he's the seventh best drummer in the world" and so on. The humor being that such thing is ridiculous - there's no "list" of "the best X in the world", it is way too subjective, and people and their talents are too complex to be ranked like that. So their friend isn't some kind of all-knowing drumming expert, he's a ridiculous blowhard to even believe that he makes sense, and that's why it is so funny to see him go and take himself seriously.

Every time I read people holding their little precious opinion about which goalie is better than the other, believing in their own relevance, I remember that episode. And that the majority of people here have yet to get out of school.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 07:04 AM
onebighockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBergevin View Post
Are you calling Crosby a liar?
You have to realize that there's many posters on here that know hockey more than Sidney Crosby.

onebighockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 07:14 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
ESPN's usually pretty bad. They have McD in the top ten but not Pieterangelo...

And I don't put the same kind of stock into this list as I would one coming from the players and coaches.

As for actual play... that's what year end awards are for. St. Louis won the scoring title, does that make him better than Tavares? I don't think so. I look at the teams they're on and I look at how they play. For my money Tavares is the better player. But that doesn't mean he had a better year.

Bobrovsky was lights out last year. Will he be lights out again this season? Maybe he will. For all we know he could be the next Hasek. But he was in the league for a few years, was a failed starter in Philly, went to Russia comes back and now he's had an amazing season. He's 25 and has loads of potential based on last year. But I don't see how the heck that warrants him being ahead of Rinne or Price regardless of what kind of years those guys had.

So yeah, that list is ****. And it does nothing to undermine what the players and coaches have said about Price. He's held in high regard. And I don't see why we should be upset about this.

Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 09-18-2013 at 07:22 AM.
Old
09-18-2013, 07:21 AM
Dagistitsyn

I don't even know if he's the best goalie on the Canadiens

#startBudaj

Dagistitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 07:25 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
He said what he said in the end it's up to Price to play like people expect him to and he will get the recognition he deserves at that point. Once he leads this team deep into the playoffs, makes team Canada and leads them to gold at the Olympics, then we can talk about him as the best in the league.
I think Lundqvist is the best in the league and he hasn't had much in the way of postseason success nor has he won anything of any real significance. Same thing with Rinne.

Doesn't mean squat. If King Henrik was on great teams he'd have cups. It's as simple as that. Ditto with Price. The guy is on teams that aren't built for the postseason and I don't see us advancing further until our GM fixes a few things.

Old
09-18-2013, 07:42 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Not sure about that, I love Price but right now I'd trade him for Lundqvist, Quick and Rinne

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 09:10 AM
Mynameismark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
He may not be the best right now, but his skill level makes him able to be without doubt. Hasek only became who he was in his late 20's and early 30's....and I'm sorry, but Price owns Hasek on skill and technique.

Mynameismark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 09:17 AM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
That's a huge ego boost, but as a habs fan I'd say Lundqvist is the best... Against everyone but us in Montreal.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 09:24 AM
hockeyfan2k11

In a game 7 I can think of at least 10+ goalies I'd take over Price.

hockeyfan2k11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 09:49 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrah View Post
Do LG posts throw up the bat signal for you? Perhaps you should have some bat signals for price threads in 2010-11 when you didnt post at all. I suppose that is different though because you would have had to give him credit.
Also he had to stay quiet for like the first 30 games of 2012-2013 when Price was outstanding.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 09:52 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khal Drogo View Post
He may not be the best right now, but his skill level makes him able to be without doubt. Hasek only became who he was in his late 20's and early 30's....and I'm sorry, but Price owns Hasek on skill and technique.
Hasek was a different bird. One of the greatest of all-time and many consider him to be the greatest.

But man his style was ugly. To this day I don't know how he stopped those pucks. Tim Thomas is reminiscent of him in this respect. Some goalies just don't fit the mold and Hasek was definitely one of them.

On a sidenote, should be interesting to see how Thomas does in Florida. 18 months off, he's older and he'll be on a bad team. I predict bad things but if he plays anywhere close to where he was a few years back he'll really cement his reputation as a great goaltender.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrah View Post
I didn't even notice this until Andy brought it up. I've got Agnostic's posts on ignore and have for some time now.

Some folks will dislike some players more than others. Whitesnake for example doesn't think Price is the best in the league or is top five or maybe not top ten... fair enough. But I think he would agree (and he can correct me if I'm wrong) that Price is at least a good goalie - he just feels that he's overrated. Fair enough. But some posters just absolutely lose their **** over this guy. I don't know why. The only reason I can think is that they were Halak fans back in the day and they haven't gotten over it. Whatever the case, some folks just aren't worth discussing this topic with.

Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 09-18-2013 at 09:57 AM.
Old
09-18-2013, 09:53 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Not sure about that, I love Price but right now I'd trade him for Lundqvist, Quick and Rinne
Until the team improves its defense and team defense, I don't think trading for other goaltenders should be anywhere close to a priority.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote