HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT - IMacs....

Old
11-19-2006, 10:18 PM
Ghost of Saku

vCash: 500
OT - IMacs....

Hey guys I just needed some feedback from any possible MAC users out there. I'm hoping to rid myself of the horrid windows operating system and looking to pick up an Imac sometime during the holiday specials. I was just wondering what the virus situation is with Macs. I know Tiger (its operating system) is a lot better protected and not full of holes likes windows so is it safe to assume macs are virtually virus-proof? I'm asking because i've heard this from people before but I also notice Norton sells products for Macs, so I'm guessing the system IS vulnerable is some way, right?

Anyways guys, this thread is to discuss why macs are superior to PC's and to convince me to buy one. I've been looking at this one in particular, and hoping the price goes down during the holidays:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...7&catid=22154#

Help?

Ghost of Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 10:27 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

You'd have better luck posting this in the geek forum; give that a whirl.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 10:29 PM
Ghost of Saku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Oh geez, I didn't even know we had a geek forum... Wait, did I just say geez?

Old
11-19-2006, 10:30 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

I won't tell anyone.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 10:32 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

I have a mac since 2004 and I don't even have to run Norton or anything like it. Virus for Macs are really rare so you don't really have to worry about anything.

But with the new OS, you can have both Windows and OS on it so if you chose to install Windows on your Mac (bootcamp), and you go on it, you will not be safe, even if you're on a Mac.

But if you only want to run on OS, go for it man...Mac is the way to go!

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 10:36 PM
greatlakeshab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
I thought Bruins board were the geeks

greatlakeshab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 10:36 PM
saskhab

Macs are not virus proof, there was a recent recall on video iPods because they were infected from the factory with some virus. I was lucky as I just recently purchased an iBook with an iPod nano, not a video iPod. Basically the recent success of mac products is starting to ruin that illusion of being virus proof, but all that being said, viruses are made to target the largest possible volume of users, and so macs are still a hell of a lot less suspectible to them than PCs.

I'm a born and raised Apple/Mac user, from the days as a kid that my familly had a IIe.

Norton has been making Mac products for at least 11 years, we got them with my family's PowerMac back in the mid-90s (pre iMacs). Of course Mac systems are vulnerable, but most of the errors are from internal faults, and not external sources like viruses. I think they cause a lot less headaches, I've never had a complete meltdown or erasing of a hard drive with a Mac product. Of course, it is much harder to get service for Macs because they are a minority.

That model you are looking at is a lot like my iBook... I've had no real issues so far that I've come across, but it's only been a month and a half.

saskhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 10:40 PM
Redden Punches Faces*

I got a MacBook this year after years of PC's, and I will never EVER go back........Well except to run SPLUS and various other stats packages that my stupid life requires me to do.

Redden Punches Faces* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 10:43 AM
The CUBE

I've been using MAC now for about 8 years. I do graphic arts and some other little things on the side other my than my regular job. I've had the same MAC since 2000 and I have not had any problem with it. The only thing I needed to do was extra memory to make it go just that little but faster for the new programs. I've also never ran into any problems when it coem to viruses and I've never had any kind of antu-virus for my MAC.

The only I would ask my self in your position is whether you should wait another few months becasue of the new OS coming out in early spring along with the new intel chip sets.

Persoanlly, I'm waiting for that time for buying my new MAC but either way you do decide to go, it will be one of those rare purchases you will NOT regret.

The CUBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 11:07 AM
The n00b King *

Ever seen the episode of South park about the "Smug" ? When the entire town starts driving Hybrids?

Well Macs are kinda like that. Do you want people to hate you because you've turned smug? Do you?

On a serious note, Macs are good machines. They are the standard in the media industry (save programming) and tend to be pretty sexy looking.

That said, they are the most ridiculously priced machines but they tend to have very good re-sell value (unlike PCs, which are basically obsolete 1 year after purchase).

I admit, if i could afford the new 17" power book there, i would. That thing is ridiculously hot. Although im pretty sure i'd get killed by robbers for it.

The n00b King * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 11:14 AM
As the Glorious Weep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_sanch View Post
Hey guys I just needed some feedback from any possible MAC users out there. I'm hoping to rid myself of the horrid windows operating system and looking to pick up an Imac sometime during the holiday specials. I was just wondering what the virus situation is with Macs. I know Tiger (its operating system) is a lot better protected and not full of holes likes windows so is it safe to assume macs are virtually virus-proof? I'm asking because i've heard this from people before but I also notice Norton sells products for Macs, so I'm guessing the system IS vulnerable is some way, right?

Anyways guys, this thread is to discuss why macs are superior to PC's and to convince me to buy one. I've been looking at this one in particular, and hoping the price goes down during the holidays:

Help?
Remember that most games (as in 95% of games) are not available on a mac. So there's no real reason for having a mac desktop. Plus no one can see your pretty mac except for you and your girlfriend or something. So what I suggest you do is get a mac LAPTOP. That way, you get a cool laptop and you can show it off to everyone. Also, laptops aren't made for games anyways so...

If you really want a desktop, get a PC. Trust me.

Also, if you have 1400 dollars burning your pockets, I suggest you build your own desktop. It's really easy and you'll have a killer rig for that price.

//Windows on my desktop and laptop. Tried Ubuntu on my laptop but too much of a pain to get Wireless working simultaneously at home and at school. Hint: I had to edit a text file every time because network manager doesn't like PEAP.

Last edited by As the Glorious Weep: 11-20-2006 at 11:20 AM.
As the Glorious Weep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 11:47 AM
The n00b King *

Quote:
Originally Posted by As the Glorious Weep View Post
Remember that most games (as in 95% of games) are not available on a mac. So there's no real reason for having a mac desktop. Plus no one can see your pretty mac except for you and your girlfriend or something. So what I suggest you do is get a mac LAPTOP. That way, you get a cool laptop and you can show it off to everyone. Also, laptops aren't made for games anyways so...

Also, if you have 1400 dollars burning your pockets, I suggest you build your own desktop. It's really easy and you'll have a killer rig for that price.

//Windows on my desktop and laptop. Tried Ubuntu on my laptop but too much of a pain to get Wireless working simultaneously at home and at school. Hint: I had to edit a text file every time because network manager doesn't like PEAP.

HAHAHAHAHA!

you've just proved my SMUG point hahaha

oh man...

The n00b King * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 12:51 PM
Ghost of Saku

thanks for all the points of view and suggestions guys... One other question. I know speakers are integrated, but I will be able to connect my own speakers, right? (silly question, i know)

Old
11-20-2006, 12:59 PM
pepperMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by As the Glorious Weep View Post

Assuming all you want to do with a desktop is to play games...which is not the majority.

If you want to play a lot of games, then yes, go Windows. Otherwise, a Mac is a great choice for most everyday needs.

pepperMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 01:13 PM
JonathanTwinkleToews
is a Canuck fan.

Quote:
thanks for all the points of view and suggestions guys... One other question. I know speakers are integrated, but I will be able to connect my own speakers, right? (silly question, i know)
Sure thing. Headphones, external speakers, they all work.

Go check out the thread you made in the Geek forum for more help

JonathanTwinkleToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 07:59 PM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
Quote:

Help?
I work with and support on a daily basis iMac iboks powerbooks from OS X tiger to OS 7
I also do a alot of work with PC's.

As someone mentioned yes Mac are less prone to viruses because there are less Mac users out there which = less hackers. However with time that will change as Mac is getting moe popular dur to advertising.

I myself prefer a PC as it almost never becomes obsolete as you can easily remove the HD to replace it with a bigger fsater one or the video card ect... With a Mac...good luck upgrading anything yourself except for the RAM. To add to that parts and peripherals for Mac are much more expensive as it is very proprietary. My advice stick to PC plan for the future (upgrades)and you'll have a excellent computer for years. Stay away from the Mac even if you can boot into windows with it..Bootcamp is what the dual boot is called and is okay but not ideal.

Feel free to ask any computing questions and this geek will answer them for you Mac or PC.
PC's are also using Intel core duos so there's no advantage there.
As far as viruses go Mac now usues a Unix based OS which is very easy to write a virus for....just a matter of time.

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 10:41 PM
As the Glorious Weep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The n00b King View Post
HAHAHAHAHA!

you've just proved my SMUG point hahaha

oh man...
incidentally why I have a PC. Macs make people turn smug...

Old
11-20-2006, 10:44 PM
As the Glorious Weep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post
As far as viruses go Mac now usues a Unix based OS which is very easy to write a virus for....just a matter of time.
Viruses rely on the naivety of the users 95% of the time. So no OS is virus-proof.