HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Worried About The Leafs

Closed Thread

Old
11-20-2006, 09:07 PM
Dynasty

vCash: 500
Worried About The Leafs

The leafs win again tonight. They are playing really strong hockey even with their MVP on the IR. Right now it looks like the Sabres and the Leafs are the two top teams in our division with Ottawa starting to make a move. The bottom line is that we'll have to keep playing strong hockey or we could easily dig a deep hole for ourselves and fighting desperately for a playoff spot.

Old
11-20-2006, 09:08 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
The Leafs I believe are 2 points better than their start last season. The season is long they look strong now but wait and see. They are playing well though and getting scoring from everyone, they also are much better 5 on 5 team than last year.

Old
11-20-2006, 09:09 PM
Cyrrus147

They won against the Islanders, not the Sabres. Tonight win was not a big surprise.

Old
11-20-2006, 09:10 PM
Garry Valk

We will prevail. We got the Cristowall.

Old
11-20-2006, 09:12 PM
Kruky

I'm not really worried. Carbo won't let a long slide happen. We still have 3 games less played then they do, 3 wins and we're above them. Ottawa will need at least a few wins in order to catch us.

We need to beat TO at least 3 more time this season however. That would do the trick

Old
11-20-2006, 09:16 PM
Ross MacLochness

They're playing all hyped for their new coach. Nothing new here.

Old
11-20-2006, 09:20 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
They play the Sabres on Weds. If they can beat them again that would be amazing because the Sabres were incredible tonight.

Old
11-20-2006, 09:22 PM
shaner89

The Leafs are playing great hockey.. yes. It is still early. What a difference a coach and Goalie can do.

Old
11-20-2006, 09:23 PM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

What about we just play our game and forget the Leafs?

Old
11-20-2006, 09:24 PM
Mr BLUEandWHITE

personally I hope the leafs and habs make the playoffs. I really think that 4 teams from our division will make the playoffs this year and maybe Boston but they lost to the crappy Panthers tonight. Anyways I would really enjoy watching the leafs and habs play against eachother in the playoffs that would be incredible.

Old
11-20-2006, 09:25 PM
Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post
The Leafs I believe are 2 points better than their start last season. The season is long they look strong now but wait and see. They are playing well though and getting scoring from everyone, they also are much better 5 on 5 team than last year.
Yeah, even that little ***** Tucker, whom I hate, is contributing big time and if I'm not mistaken is tied for team scoring lead.

Old
11-20-2006, 09:29 PM
Clumsyhab

I don' mind them finishing 5th and we end up at #4 and we kick their *** in the 1st round playoffs.

Old
11-20-2006, 09:29 PM
Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slip Slidin' Slim View Post
They're playing all hyped for their new coach. Nothing new here.
They are over a quarter way into the season. I think it's more than just hype. They have much better coaching this year IMO and I think this is the biggest factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaner89 View Post
The Leafs are playing great hockey.. yes. It is still early. What a difference a coach and Goalie can do.
Agree!

Last edited by montreal: 11-20-2006 at 09:38 PM.
Old
11-20-2006, 09:32 PM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr BLUEandWHITE View Post
I really think that 4 teams from our division will make the playoffs this year and maybe Boston but they lost to the crappy Panthers tonight.
Did you forget about the last week?

Old
11-20-2006, 09:33 PM
David_99

They are playing a high tempo game. We'll see how their legs are in the second half of the season.

Old
11-20-2006, 09:34 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr BLUEandWHITE View Post
personally I hope the leafs and habs make the playoffs. I really think that 4 teams from our division will make the playoffs this year and maybe Boston but they lost to the crappy Panthers tonight. Anyways I would really enjoy watching the leafs and habs play against eachother in the playoffs that would be incredible.
Personally, I would rather have the Leafs miss the playoffs and not have to stand the media circus surrounding an overhyped Habs vs Leafs matchup. It's still early in the season and I'm not convinced the Leafs are as good as their record indicates, we'll see how they fare during "tougher" times. Then again, I didn't think the Sabres would keep up their pace last year and Toronto really is playing some solid hockey.

Ottawa though, that'd be nice to see for once.

Old
11-20-2006, 09:34 PM
Dogbert*

Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
I don' mind them finishing 5th and we end up at #4 and we kick their *** in the 1st round playoffs.
Given how well the Habs have played against the Leafs this season, I wouldn't exactly be looking forward to that.

Old
11-20-2006, 09:35 PM
Ross MacLochness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynasty View Post
They are over a quarter way into the season. I think it's more than just hype. They have much better coaching this year IMO and I think this is the biggest factor.
They'll cool off but might sneak into one of the final 2 spots.

Next year will be back down to earth, as it usually is for many 2nd year coaches.

Old
11-20-2006, 09:38 PM
Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded and Agrestic View Post
Personally, I would rather have the Leafs miss the playoffs and not have to stand the media circus surrounding an overhyped Habs vs Leafs matchup. It's still early in the season and I'm not convinced the Leafs are as good as their record indicates, we'll see how they fare during "tougher" times. Then again, I didn't think the Sabres would keep up their pace last year and Toronto really is playing some solid hockey.

Ottawa though, that'd be nice to see for once.
I dunno, they are certainly going through tough times right now with their undisbuted MVP injured. It seems to me that they are getting solid contribution up and down the lineup.

Old
11-20-2006, 09:47 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
I think Paul Maurice deserves a ton of credit. So far he's been able to accomplish a lot with a not-so-skilled group of individuals (and I'm saying that as objectively as possible, the Leafs aren't riding too many big names over there).

But like other posters said, a lot can happen between now and the end of the season. Look at teams who were doing great around this time last year and wound up missing the playoffs completely (Kings, Canucks, etc)

Old
11-20-2006, 09:48 PM
BlueBlood17

Exactly.

We've had injuries to Mats, Raycroft, and on Defence and have managed to stay above water. Normally, I would agree with those concerned about us "losing our legs" as the schedule gets tougher, but we are already at (or near?) the top of the league in GP, so it can't be that bad.

Just looking ahead to next month, it looks like we will get some solid rest & practice time in. For three consecutive weeks we have the same game-days, and all three weeks consist of 2 off days, followed by a home game, and another 2 off days.

Anyway, for what it's worth, the Habs are also worrying me. The Habs have been playing solid hockey, getting great goaltending, and they too are missing a big gun. I also think Gainey has something up his sleeve, and if that D can get a shot in the arm...watch out Eastern Conference.

Old
11-20-2006, 09:48 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynasty View Post
I dunno, they are certainly going through tough times right now with their undisbuted MVP injured. It seems to me that they are getting solid contribution up and down the lineup.
Hehe, my bad, I didn't make myself too clear, I meant I'll see how they rebound from a series of losses or a funk. Last year, they went 10 straight without winning and they never rebounded until after the major choke job against Montreal. I'm not so sure if it's that much of a different team, new attitudes lose themselves easily during losses, we all know that, we watched the Habs .

Old
11-20-2006, 09:49 PM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry Valk View Post
We will prevail. We got the Cristowall.
We have The Belak.

/thread

Old
11-20-2006, 09:55 PM
The Saurus

For all those saying the Leafs are only two points better this year than last year... let me say, as a Leaf fan, that even in their wins last year, you could tell they were heavily outplayed and outhustled.

For example, there was a game in Montreal that they won 3-2 last year, with Lindros potting two. Montreal had something like 40 or 45 shots on net and Belfour had to stand on his head. Most of the game was played in the Leafs end with no defensive positioning on their part.

Montreal should have won that game... with the exception of two of their wins last year, it was much of the same..

This team is very different.. defensively and in terms of work-ethic.

Paul Maurice is the sole reason for their great start.

Old
11-20-2006, 10:03 PM
Clumsyhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbert View Post
Given how well the Habs have played against the Leafs this season, I wouldn't exactly be looking forward to that.
We beat them when it counts. Remember what happened last season when we kick their *** with 10ish games in the season?

Closed Thread