HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What's going on with Perreault?

Old
11-20-2006, 09:22 PM
saskhab

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
I don't believe this to be true. Perreault claimed many times he was in shape and taking offers.

EDIT: And his low salary is evidence enough to demonstrate how much of a demand there is for Perreault.
I remeber hearing about his injury, I assumed surgery, maybe he was just rehabbing. But there is no real news about it, though like I said I heard about it through TV news sources that I don't have readily available.

His low salary could be evidence of reality, that the injury made him unavailable to sign with teams when they had cap room. We saw Dumont become a victim of the cap/arbitration, the fact of the matter is the last ones signed will be signed for the least in their peer group in this market.

saskhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 09:46 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Contrary to general belief, Yanic Perreault is a self-centered human being, caring only about his stats. When he was in Montreal, he complained galore about his icetime. It wasn't known to the general public, because the media was protecting him. But the truth of the matter was that he whined alot behind closed doors.

Does it surprise you that he signed with Pheonix? He was offered the chance to play for the Hens but preferred playing for a team bound for the dumpster from the get go. The reason? He would get more ice time, thus having more chance to get some points and help his cause next season for a bigger contract.

That's how Yanic Perreault thinks.

I'm just happy he's far from the Habs.

we are so lucky to have an insider that knows everything that come from the coach office , the players room , inside the head of the medias peoples and inside the head of Perreault .

Thanks to share all those informations with us , Deandebean

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 10:26 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# View Post

we are so lucky to have an insider that knows everything that come from the coach office , the players room , inside the head of the medias peoples and inside the head of Perreault .

Deandebean knows Julien, that's pretty close to the Habs team, no?

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 11:12 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# View Post

You should just check where I come from. You'd know where the info comes from...

I don't know how it is inside Perreault's head. But I can tell ya how he is around the club.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 11:14 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded and Agrestic View Post
Deandebean knows Julien, that's pretty close to the Habs team, no?
Claude Julien could probably say the same about Perreault, but he's not the source. Let's just say that it came from someone inside the organisation, who was tired of hearing all the praise Perreault was receiving from the franco media about his patience (being left riding the pine).

Yanic Perreault signed with the freaking Pheonix Coyotes, that should tell you what kind of individual he is.

Old
11-20-2006, 11:17 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Anybody who thinks that Perreault would be putting up the same kind of numbers on a remotely talented team is kidding themselves.

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 11:18 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Anybody who thinks that Perreault would be putting up the same kind of numbers on a remotely talented team is kidding themselves.
Precisely why he went for a bad team. He just doesn't care about winning. He cares about his stats, for next year's contract.

Old
11-20-2006, 11:19 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
And also because he would be playing fourth line on most teams' rosters (where he belongs) as opposed to first line on Phoenix's.

Old
11-20-2006, 11:20 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
And also because he would be playing fourth line on most teams' rosters (where he belongs) as opposed to first line on Phoenix's.
I like you, man.

Old
11-20-2006, 11:24 PM
XX
Lots of Try

Man, you guys are really bitter, aren't you?

Nagy - Perreault - Sjostrom btw

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 11:27 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierX View Post

Not bitter, just sick of people whining about how we "missed the boat" on Perreault. At least, I am.

Old
11-20-2006, 11:28 PM
deandebean

Quote:

Not bitter, bud. Let's just say we know the character. I don't want him close to the Habs.

Old
11-20-2006, 11:30 PM
Mike8

Quote:

Always amusing when fans presume others are bitter/jealous when they express their distaste for a player.

Canuck fans assumed we were bitter when we ran down Bulis' game. Now they're trying to pawn him off to anyone.

Check back to threads on this forum back when Perreault was a player here. This isn't close to the distaste expressed then. And yeah, it was bitterness then; bitterness that we had to endure Perreault's embarrassing performances in the CH.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 11:35 PM
XX
Lots of Try

So? I remember days when Mike Johnson was the worst player the Coyotes iced. And that was saying something. That doesn't mean that player cant change or that you give up on them. Perreault would fit like a glove between Sammy and Kovalev.

He has been great here. and He scored a shootout goal 9 out of 10 players miss. He isn't slow and he has been a good signing.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 11:39 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
So? I remember days when Mike Johnson was the worst player the Coyotes iced. And that was saying something. That doesn't mean that player cant change or that you give up on them. Perreault would fit like a glove between Sammy and Kovalev.

He has been great here. and He scored a shootout goal 9 out of 10 players miss. He isn't slow and he has been a good signing.
Perreault would go seasons being the worst player on the ice, that's the main difference. Mike Johnson, by all accounts, seems to be a player missed in Phoenix, a glue type one of the fans said. Perreault is not missed one bit I assume. And please, elaborate how he'd fit Sammy and Kovalev like a glove.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 11:43 PM
Mike8

Quote:

Nice to know that Perreault was the same player for a decade+ until he reached Phoenix. Once in Phoenix, he transformed, and a fan who's watched him for nine whole games has a better grasp of Perreault's new look in life.

Perreault would be horrid between Samsonov and Kovalev.

Old
11-21-2006, 03:10 PM
guapo23

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Precisely why he went for a bad team. He just doesn't care about winning. He cares about his stats, for next year's contract.
That is ridiculous. The season had already started and there wasn't exactly a bidding war going on for his services. So he signed a deal with Phoenix instead of waiting for more offers to roll in.

What's wrong with that ?

guapo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 03:18 PM
guapo23

I'm not sad that we didn't sign Perrault but I am still very angry that we didn't sign LARAQUE !!

He is 3rd in scoring for the Yotes : 4G, 6A, +1, 1 PPG, 26 PIM.

In the off season I was saying he would be great for our 4th line and our 2nd line PP to stand in front of the net & screen the goalie.

Our 4 line is so weak right now. Begin is not playing well. Murray is not playing well. Downey is filling his role well but he is hardly going to score some goals. Pleks needs to play with better players.

Laraque would have brought so much toughness to this team !
He is great along the boards, can chip in some goals and is one of the best fighters in the league. Would players be going after Kovalev's knees if Laraque was on the team ?

He is a really intimidating presence who can also play hockey...

guapo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 03:25 PM
BadHabit

Myself, I think and always have thought, that Perreault was someone that the Habs should have given more chances to. He may not have been a complete, well-rounded player but with hard work he could have gotten better.

We still do not have a #2 center in this organization and it is my opinion that he would have been great with Kovalev and Samsonov. Of course, we'll never know how he would have adjusted so we can only guess - but I do know that you shouldn't give a guy away like him. Consistantly one of the best faceoff guys in the league, a clutch guy who Julien should've went to NUMEROUS times in the playoffs where someone would lose the draw and the opposing team scored. I mean, when the CBC announcers start asking why Julien is leaving the best faceoff man in the league on the bench for any amount of crucial draws in your own end, you gotta start asking questions.

As for this so-called whining that he did about his ice time - well, I would have done the same thing!! What do you expect when you're sitting a guy, then you put him into the lineup and he gets 3 or 4 points (I remember a certain game in particular), and then take him out again? Do you not think Kovalev or Samsonov would not have complained if they were getting benched all the time? Of course they would! And I like it if he is interested in his point totals - a goal scorer is paid to score goals. If he is putting up numbers and winning draws, that is what he is paid to do.

In my humble opinion, I think the Canadiens made a mistake in giving him away without really giving him a shot with the new NHL and the new team. He may be slow - but you guys think that Ryder is too slow as well. Doesn't seem to have affected him, or Perrault's point totals for that matter.

My 2 cents.

Thom

BadHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 03:26 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by guapo23 View Post
That is ridiculous. The season had already started and there wasn't exactly a bidding war going on for his services. So he signed a deal with Phoenix instead of waiting for more offers to roll in.
Ottawa, NYIslanders and Chicago had also tendered offers to Perreault. Dean's point was that Perreault would prefer playing on a lousy club where he'd be promised more ice-time so he could pad his stats than play for a good team.

Old
11-21-2006, 03:27 PM
Hab-a-maniac

I think this way about Yanic: he's one of the lousiest playing 20 goal scorers I've ever seen don the CH. Doesn't anyone remember Perreault's 02-03 start where had 17 goals in the first 30 games? Then he ended up with just 28. He's too inconsistent and when he's not scoring, he's almost useless. Face-off prowess, big whoop when you float and don't do anything else of value. Sure his offense would be nice, but doesn't anyone remember the times he was a total bum? I won't discout his efforts but the guy will likely never hit 30. Even with his hot start, helped on by the fact he was trained, fresh and ready to hit the ice when everyone else is worn down by the schedule already. Listen, Yanic looked like a 40-45 goal man in the past. We thought he was too good to be true at one point, while Leafs and Kings fans told us to expect otherwise because they had seen this movie before. We didn't want to believe, but it was true.

'Yotes fans love him now but will likely see the light one day. It seems to be what he does everywhere he goes, while his faceoff skill combined with his 20 goals gets him lavishing, undeserved praise from his buddy Healy and Cherry for some reason (must've liked him from his Leaf days or wants to seem like a guy who loves Quebec players). Yanic is a serviceable, able goal scorer but his lack of grit, drive, speed and inability to do anything offensively but pick the top corners makes him vulnerable to hot and cold streaks. Heck, at least Brett Hull shot more often and got into the open slots to unleash his shot. Yanic has a tremendous wrister, but he doesn't use it enough and his accuracy is all he's got to carry him along. Habs have plenty of potential 20 goal scorers as it is (Koivu maybe, Higgins for sure, Lats maybe, Sammy maybe, Kovalev for sure, Ryder for sure, even Souray), we don't need another if it drags down our defensive game and takes ice time away from a Latendresse, Perezhogin or Kostitsyn. Forgo a 20 goal scorer, to develop 3 more. It's a worthy sacrifice.

Only FA I'm disappointed we missed was Shanny. Many here felt he would never score without Datsyuk, but look who isn't getting points without whom. Sure, he's got Jagr but Shanny is a leader, a proven winner, a great scoring vet and some people thought he was not worth signing. Turns out he was and we missed out likely cause he preferred the lower taxes, nicer styled living of New York City. And if he thought he was signing with the better team? Oops, look at our record. We need a star goal scorer not an ok one. And if our leading goal scoring total of 8 looks paltry to everyone out there, recall that our offense is not in the bottom part of the league at all and Higgins might have 11-14 right now if he stayed healthy. Yanic is not useful on a 3rd or 4th line and that's why there's no room for him here. Even if Sammy looks mediocre, can you imagine how lazy a Kovalev-Perreault-Plekanec/Perez line would be (despite the efforts of the other guy!)?

Last edited by Hab-a-maniac: 11-21-2006 at 03:35 PM.
Hab-a-maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 03:31 PM
BadHabit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Ottawa, NYIslanders and Chicago had also tendered offers to Perreault. Dean's point was that Perreault would prefer playing on a lousy club where he'd be promised more ice-time so he could pad his stats than play for a good team.
Pad his stats? Come on guys, really. Do you honestly think that the GM's of the league have no idea that someone playing on the first line is going to score more points than someone on the 3rd or 4th? Geeze, these guys are not complete and utter morons.

He chose to play on that team for one simple reason only - he wants to PLAY. He didn't want to get into the same situation he had in Montreal, he wanted to play and show what he can do. Hell, maybe he'd even have FUN getting to play on the top 2 lines and maybe getting some scoring chances.

Padding his totals have nothing to do with it. GM's are smarter than that, and believe it or not - you still have to have talent to score points even on the first line!

Old
11-21-2006, 04:05 PM
BadHabit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hab-a-maniac View Post
Doesn't anyone remember Perreault's 02-03 start where had 17 goals in the first 30 games? Then he ended up with just 28. He's too inconsistent and when he's not scoring, he's almost useless. Face-off prowess, big whoop when you float and don't do anything else of value. Sure his offense would be nice, but doesn't anyone remember the times he was a total bum? I won't discout his efforts but the guy will likely never hit 30. Even with his hot start, helped on by the fact he was trained, fresh and ready to hit the ice when everyone else is worn down by the schedule already. Listen, Yanic looked like a 40-45 goal man in the past. We thought he was too good to be true at one point, while Leafs and Kings fans told us to expect otherwise because they had seen this movie before. We didn't want to believe, but it was true.

'Yotes fans love him now but will likely see the light one day. It seems to be what he does everywhere he goes, while his faceoff skill combined with his 20 goals gets him lavishing, undeserved praise from his buddy Healy and Cherry for some reason (must've liked him from his Leaf days or wants to seem like a guy who loves Quebec players). Yanic is a serviceable, able goal scorer but his lack of grit, drive, speed and inability to do anything offensively but pick the top corners makes him vulnerable to hot and cold streaks. Heck, at least Brett Hull shot more often and got into the open slots to unleash his shot. Yanic has a tremendous wrister, but he doesn't use it enough and his accuracy is all he's got to carry him along. Habs have plenty of potential 20 goal scorers as it is (Koivu maybe, Higgins for sure, Lats maybe, Sammy maybe, Kovalev for sure, Ryder for sure, even Souray), we don't need another if it drags down our defensive game and takes ice time away from a Latendresse, Perezhogin or Kostitsyn. Forgo a 20 goal scorer, to develop 3 more. It's a worthy sacrifice.

Only FA I'm disappointed we missed was Shanny. Many here felt he would never score without Datsyuk, but look who isn't getting points without whom. Sure, he's got Jagr but Shanny is a leader, a proven winner, a great scoring vet and some people thought he was not worth signing. Turns out he was and we missed out likely cause he preferred the lower taxes, nicer styled living of New York City. And if he thought he was signing with the better team? Oops, look at our record. We need a star goal scorer not an ok one. And if our leading goal scoring total of 8 looks paltry to everyone out there, recall that our offense is not in the bottom part of the league at all and Higgins might have 11-14 right now if he stayed healthy. Yanic is not useful on a 3rd or 4th line and that's why there's no room for him here. Even if Sammy looks mediocre, can you imagine how lazy a Kovalev-Perreault-Plekanec/Perez line would be (despite the efforts of the other guy!)?
Doesn't anyone remember Ribeiro's year last year? 51 points? 16 goals? 28 goals in 6 less games in the OLD NHL, the third leading scorer on the team and a guy who is FAR superior in the faceoff circle sounds a lot better to me.

I never ever thought he was a total bum. At least he tried when he played, unlike Ribs. I think he showed grit and determination when he played, so I don't agree with you on that. The only time he scored around 20 or under was when he didn't play a full season. Koivu has only gotten 20 goals twice in his whole career - Ribeiro only once. You can talk all you want about Latendresse, Perezhogin and Kostitsyn but none of them are proven, and none of them are centers.

Shanny would have been nice to have, but he was never coming here. Perreault we could have signed cheaply and at least given a shot. You certainly can't compare Perreault to Shanny, but you never know how Perreault would have been with the 2nd line. You THINK you know, but no one really does. It may have worked, but we never tried it.

It's too bad really, I think he had something to offer here.

Thom

Old
11-21-2006, 04:08 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
Pad his stats? Come on guys, really. Do you honestly think that the GM's of the league have no idea that someone playing on the first line is going to score more points than someone on the 3rd or 4th? Geeze, these guys are not complete and utter morons.
Who claimed anything to the contrary? Perreault pads his stats because without good-looking stats, Perreault does not have a job in the NHL.

Old
11-21-2006, 04:38 PM
Mathieu Lavergne
AKA Saku K.

Send a message via ICQ to Mathieu Lavergne
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
Doesn't anyone remember Ribeiro's year last year? 51 points? 16 goals? 28 goals in 6 less games in the OLD NHL, the third leading scorer on the team and a guy who is FAR superior in the faceoff circle sounds a lot better to me.

I never ever thought he was a total bum. At least he tried when he played, unlike Ribs. I think he showed grit and determination when he played, so I don't agree with you on that. The only time he scored around 20 or under was when he didn't play a full season. Koivu has only gotten 20 goals twice in his whole career - Ribeiro only once. You can talk all you want about Latendresse, Perezhogin and Kostitsyn but none of them are proven, and none of them are centers.

Thom
Grit and determination?? Are we talking about Yannic Perreault here? When Perreault was with the habs he had two qualities: faceoffs and silky smooth hands.

Having great faceoffs skills might be great and all but they are much less valuable since Perreault never plays in the pk and he is not responsible enough to be put in most key defensive situations as well.

Perreault thought corners were for stamps, Perreault and grit goes well together as much as grit and Mariusz Czwerkawski. As well as having a non-existant physical game, he was brutal in the playmaking departement for a top-six center, he was small and slow. As far as determination is concerned he played zero defence and was a dissapearing act in important games. How come a guy being third in scoring got scratched late in the season by the Preds? How many playoff games did Perreault play for the Predators? Why did it take so long for Perreault to get a contract on the NHL if he is as great as you suggest? Conspiracy theory? I don't think so.

The fact is, as Mike already pointed out, Perreault is a statsheet player, nothing more. The new rules have helped at increasing his point output though, good for him.

Last edited by Mathieu Lavergne: 11-21-2006 at 05:01 PM.
Mathieu Lavergne is offline   Reply With Quote