HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Barons Lose to Jets 3-2

Old
09-18-2013, 12:18 PM
LaGu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos View Post
Well, that's not syaing much. It was his FIRST game of the preseason...haha.

I hear people saying they see flashes of elite level skills. At the Jr (World Jrs) level I saw some of that, but at the next step up he looks very average thus far. I have not watched him overseas of course, and those who have would know WAY better than I obviously, so I'm not writing him off or anything. It's very early, so lots of time for him to grow as a player yet.
He was great during the 2nd part of 2011/2012 (after the World Jr's) and during the first month of the season 2012/2013 he was (imo) amongst the most impressive defensemen overall in the SEL (I know it is SHL now but I don't have to like it...). No "flashes" there, he was a beast day in and day out, especially in Sept/Oct 2012.

For me his performance so far is somewhat surprising. I hope it is just rust because even though I don't think he has made a fool out of himself in any way, I don't see the same calm, confidence and skill as I would have expected from seeing him playing in the SEL.

That said I am not concerned at all, there is a good or great hockey player in there and I guess I am a bit disappointed that he seems to be progressing just as normal players do...

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 12:34 PM
doulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post
He was great during the 2nd part of 2011/2012 (after the World Jr's) and during the first month of the season 2012/2013 he was (imo) amongst the most impressive defensemen overall in the SEL (I know it is SHL now but I don't have to like it...). No "flashes" there, he was a beast day in and day out, especially in Sept/Oct 2012.

For me his performance so far is somewhat surprising. I hope it is just rust because even though I don't think he has made a fool out of himself in any way, I don't see the same calm, confidence and skill as I would have expected from seeing him playing in the SEL.

That said I am not concerned at all, there is a good or great hockey player in there and I guess I am a bit disappointed that he seems to be progressing just as normal players do...
Thanks for that. Good to be reassured a bit. Hopefully it's just getting used to things in NA.

doulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 12:42 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post

What I like about him so far is that he thinks the game at a high level. I haven't seen him really use his wheels like he did at the WJC's on the offensive side of the puck at times, but IMO he should start the year in OKC and play 20+ minutes a night, get used to the NA rinks, knock the rust off and build confidence in his game.

09-18-2013, 12:49 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos View Post
Well, that's not syaing much. It was his FIRST game of the preseason...haha.

I hear people saying they see flashes of elite level skills. At the Jr (World Jrs) level I saw some of that, but at the next step up he looks very average thus far. I have not watched him overseas of course, and those who have would know WAY better than I obviously, so I'm not writing him off or anything. It's very early, so lots of time for him to grow as a player yet.
I meant including the rookie games as well. He looks like a guy that's taking time to knock the rust off. I'm not sure if you watched Taylor Hall last season when he first returned to the ice after his shoulder surgery? IIRC his hiatus from the ice was a lot shorter than Klefbom's and IMO he looked pretty bad. Passes were off, he wasn't shooting as much, his decision making was crap, etc. Now compare that to a guy that has no NHL experience, is getting used to the smaller ice, etc.

Klefbom will be fine as long as he doesn't have any health set backs. He'll be a stud defensive defenseman before long IMO, just give him some slack all things considered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conkanen View Post
Any opinions on Ryan Jones? After seeing him live again my opinion hasn't changed. He brought nothing to the table last night and I didn't see any sense of urgency or new found motivation in his play. I hate that he and Ryam Smyth are locks to make this team.
I was not impressed with Jonesy last night, had 1 or 2 decent hits and that's pretty much all that I remember from him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Players talk about how the game gets faster as you move up in each successive league.

He's got the smaller ice and faster game to get used to, I'd prefer him to play it somewhat safe. His career certainly isn't on the line so there's no need for him to take crazy chances.
20-30 games in the AHL would be huge for him, after that he'll have the rust off and he'll be ready to be a top 6 defenseman IMO.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 03:01 PM
skorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
What I like about him so far is that he thinks the game at a high level. I haven't seen him really use his wheels like he did at the WJC's on the offensive side of the puck at times, but IMO he should start the year in OKC and play 20+ minutes a night, get used to the NA rinks, knock the rust off and build confidence in his game.
I agree completely

I'd give Klefbom the whole year in the AHL unless the Oilers get hit hard by injuries.

He needs ice time and he'd get it in the AHL. With the time he's missed being injured, it's best for his development.

With Petry, Smid, Ference, JSchultz... at best he'd be the 5th D... likely behind NSChultz this year too. I'd rather have Belov, Larsen, Grebs, etc manning the 6th/7th D spots this year.

Now if 2 of Petry, Smid, Ference, JSchultz go down midway through the year, I wouldn't mind bringing up Klefbom to get some top 4 minutes here... but if he's going to be the 5/6 D, I'd rather he be in the AHL

skorf is offline   Reply With Quote