HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Crosby proclaims Price the best goalie in the league.

Old
09-18-2013, 02:25 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieber fever View Post
Not hating on Price but why paying a goalie 6,5M if he can't make safe if he doesnt have a good defense that allow him to see every shots ?
If a team could assemble a defense that their goalie could see every shot they wouldn't need a 6.5 mil goalie. A 1 mil one would win the cup.

Boston had the biggest defensemen in the league most of last year and rask had to fight through screens and traffic on 30-40% of his shots.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 02:25 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Price has never been outstanding for any significant period of time . He's simply not good enough to keep his critics quiet.
Maybe ''outstanding'' shouldn't be the level of expectations set. I mean, sure, BG sold us this thoroughbred keeper, names like Jesus Price were spewed out, but this is coming from a place that chanted ''Guy'' for Latendresse. At some point, you have to take some things lightly.
Price hasn't been this super dominant keeper. He hasn't been bad either. But nobody should actually be scared of going into a season with Price as a keeper. People that feel this way need to check other teams play because other goalies do not eclipse Price.
And really, don't expect miracles this year. Look at our defensive squad. We had to go get Douglas freaking Murray out of desperation.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 02:27 PM
Karl Pilkington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
IMO Price is pretty much a league average starting goalie, who hopefully becomes more consistent as he ages. Goalies age differently - Lunqvist wasn't really King Henrik until around 26-27 - but that's no sure thing. Here's hoping.
Biased introductory comment, concealed bias by adding "here's hoping"..

Here are his career stats:
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/playe...FoyBFv9tDCfgM6

145 W - 117 L
.915 save %
2.56 GAA

He's just getting started. He's barely 26.

The best goalie of all time had the following stats within his first 5 seasons:
(Marty B - http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...brodema01.html)

202W - 141L
.913 save %
2.27 GAA

I'm not saying Price is Brodeur, but the comparison shows he's got the potential to become it. Now, you'll say the times are different, blahh and still come up with reasons as to why Pricey has let you down in life.

Karl Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 02:33 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
I don't agree at all. Anderson had to fight through screens on a lot of shots and he did. He stopped ALL the easy ones and a ton of hard ones. Price only stopped had ones in game 2, and let in easy ones in all other games.
Anderson was great. Nobody said otherwise. But he wasn't screened man.
Quote:
The whole "no traffic in front of Anderson" and "our defense was brutal and that's why Price sucked" are myths propagated on here for the last 4 months, not created from reality. Go look at the video of those games, in all 4 Ottawa wins, Anderson makes numerous huge saves in the 1st while Habs have a clear edge in play.
So much fail in this part of your post here:

1. Nobody is saying Price sucked in the playoffs (except maybe Agnostic)

2. Our Defense WAS and IS brutal. No protection. No clearing the net. And our PK especially sucks. Don't expect this year to be much different either.

3. Us not going to the net has been echoed by everyone here because... we don't do it. And this isn't new to last year either... been this way for a loooong time. We have ONE guy who goes to the net with consistency. Gallagher. That's it. If you can't see this, then I guess I now understand why you think it was okay to add another smurf in Briere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Maybe ''outstanding'' shouldn't be the level of expectations set. I mean, sure, BG sold us this thoroughbred keeper, names like Jesus Price were spewed out, but this is coming from a place that chanted ''Guy'' for Latendresse. At some point, you have to take some things lightly.
Price hasn't been this super dominant keeper. He hasn't been bad either. But nobody should actually be scared of going into a season with Price as a keeper. People that feel this way need to check other teams play because other goalies do not eclipse Price.
And really, don't expect miracles this year. Look at our defensive squad. We had to go get Douglas freaking Murray out of desperation.
We need a shut down guy in the worst way. I really hope Murray and Tinordi can do something on this front but we really should've gotten a true number 4 shutdown guy.
Quote:
If a team could assemble a defense that their goalie could see every shot they wouldn't need a 6.5 mil goalie. A 1 mil one would win the cup.

Boston had the biggest defensemen in the league most of last year and rask had to fight through screens and traffic on 30-40% of his shots.
You really don't watch the games do you?

Did you watch Chicago vs Boston? Did you see what happened there? In the first few games nobody ventured in front of Rask. Chara was brutal to deal with so they just stayed away. Then Toews decided that he HAD to go there and he did. He paid the price but they won the cup. But it took them a few games to realize that they'd have to stand there and get punched in the mouth to do it.

Standing in front of the net is not fun. Most of the time you have to deal with a Chara, Weber or Doughty hacking away at you. We dont' have this guy in our lineup. Other teams have tea parties in front of our net and who's going to stop them? Diaz? Markov? Get real man.

Like I said, we're putting a lot of stock into Tinordi and we'd better hope he's ready. Murray is a wildcard and then there's Gorges who basically went away last year. There's nobody back there save Subban but Therrien only uses him for offense. Our PK sucks and that blueline is ugly dude. So cross your fingers and hope that Murray and Tinordi can get it done 'cause nobody else will.

Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 09-18-2013 at 02:42 PM.
Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 02:35 PM
Habz2006

This is funny .... when will our fans will start to question Price's "god given talent". As much as we "Price haters" like to complain about him, he seems to have his fair share of worshipers that always find excuses for his subpar performances .... and I don't think this will ever really change. A superstar goalie needs to be good ALL the time and Price isn't in that category.

Habz2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 02:41 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Pilkington View Post

145 W - 117 L
.915 save %
2.56 GAA

202W - 141L
.913 save %
2.27 GAA

I'm not saying Price is Brodeur, but the comparison shows he's got the potential to become it. Now, you'll say the times are different, blahh and still come up with reasons as to why Pricey has let you down in life.
Well, I am a Habs fan, so I am actually hoping that he gets to the next level. I obviously don't think he is as sure a bet to do that as many here. I don't think that's concealing anything.

Yup, times were different. When Brodeur put up a 911 save% at 23 years old, Hasek led the league with 920. The standard has been moved up 10-20 percentage points. If anything, the comparison makes Price look worse.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 02:42 PM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

Well Crosby has had a few concussions....

Price is a good goalie but I have a hard time believing anyone would take him over Lundqvist this coming season.

Hawkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 02:47 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habz2006 View Post
This is funny .... when will our fans will start to question Price's "god given talent". As much as we "Price haters" like to complain about him, he seems to have his fair share of worshipers that always find excuses for his subpar performances .... and I don't think this will ever really change. A superstar goalie needs to be good ALL the time and Price isn't in that category.
More times than not though when you look at the 'superstar' goalie in the league they usually (though not always) have a strong D in front of them. And it's not often that they have bad D in front of them.

Swap out Rinne, Quick, Lundqvist for Price on this team and I promise you their numbers will not be as good and we won't be winning any cups. Not with the roster we have now.

Old
09-18-2013, 02:48 PM
Habz2006

Quote:

145 W - 117 L
.915 save %
2.56 GAA

202W - 141L
.913 save %
2.27 GAA

Well we should also then compare their playoff numbers ?

Price
30 GP - 9 W - 17 L
.905 save %
2.90 GAA

Brodeur (First 2 playoff seasons)
37 GP - 24 W - 13 L
.927 save %
1.81 GAA AND a SC

Habz2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 03:11 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Well we should also then compare their playoff numbers ?

Price
30 GP - 9 W - 17 L
.905 save %
2.90 GAA

Brodeur (First 2 playoff seasons)
37 GP - 24 W - 13 L
.927 save %
1.81 GAA AND a SC
While you're at it compare the rosters. Huge difference. Stevens, Neidermayer, trapping system by a Lemaire coached team... No freaking way Brodeur wins cups with this team the way he did in NJ.

Old
09-18-2013, 03:12 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkguy View Post

Price is a good goalie but I have a hard time believing anyone would take him over Lundqvist this coming season.
It's according to Crosby.

I have a friend that I play hockey with. Every time I face him, he has a very tough time getting around me, but on other guys that are just as good as me, he has an easier time.
Sometimes, you just match up well against a certain goalie, player, team...It happens.

Just like you will not get a unanimous vote for the #1 goalie. It will be a consensus vote. Some players will find Price, others King Lund, others Quick, others Rinne, others Rask..

Crosby feels Price is the best. Maybe it's because he didn't face western teams all that much. Maybe it's because Price never had a soft game versus him. Maybe it's because Crosby has had an easier time scoring vs the NYR.
But we should be happy about this, not doubt Crosby's words.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 03:20 PM
Riddum

LOLLLLL @ the comment that said "Crosby must be still suffering from his concussion".

Riddum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 03:38 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
He is.

Mark my words.
"Don't tell me. Show me"

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 03:40 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chfan View Post
What?

He did well until now. "Completely give up on him" Seriously?

I already hear the "FU CAH LE" chants coming...
I will give him 2 more seasons to step his game up until I give up on any thoughts of him ever being a top flight goalie. He is simply not good enough in the playoffs. He is a developing goalie but is paid like a superstar. Well, show me.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 04:21 PM
Doc McKenna

I get tired of the d is so weak in front of him crap. We have one Norris winner and one former norris candidate. We also have a fairly solid 3-6. Would you trade D lineup with Toronto? How about buffalo? Florida? He is being paid like a superstar so he has to start playing like one.

Its the old Breezer scenario. Patrice Brisbois was a decent dman, just not worth the 4 odd million he was earning at the time.

Doc McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 04:39 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc McKenna View Post
I get tired of the d is so weak in front of him crap. We have one Norris winner and one former norris candidate. We also have a fairly solid 3-6. Would you trade D lineup with Toronto? How about buffalo? Florida? He is being paid like a superstar so he has to start playing like one.

Its the old Breezer scenario. Patrice Brisbois was a decent dman, just not worth the 4 odd million he was earning at the time.
Actually, I think this is changing. 14 goalies now have a cap hit of at least 5mil (well, 13 as the Flames appear to have successfully circumvented the cap with no penalty). I don't really understand that trend, given that several teams have 2 very good goalies, but it seems to be the going rate for a team's starter. Price might still be overpaid, but the rest of the league is catching up pretty fast as more big contracts are handed out.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 04:40 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekar View Post
Only these stupid Montreal fans...

Crosby: Price is the best goalie in the league.
Habs fans: What an idiot!

You people make me homicidal sometimes.
At one point, people will need to choose. Are we stupid 'cause we keep defending our players no matter what they do? Or are we stupid 'cause we bash our players? Which is it? How about not being stupid 'cause we are able to have our OWN analysis and don't need Crosby or anybody else to make it for us? Again, as if everything Crosby says and does is always right.

Unless your point is, whenever somebody says something great about our players, we should thank him but when it's not too great...THEN he's an idiot? And THAT's not stupid?

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 05:06 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc McKenna View Post

What are you trying to prove here ? Having one norris dman won't bring anything. It's a team game.

Then your flawless statement ... Did Miller, Theorodre or Reimer do better than Price last season? I doubt that.

So, I don't see why I would trade that defense for ... Were talking about 4 mediocre defense here.
Concerning the individuals AND the systems.

Now ask me, would I trade our defense for a good team ? Yes, yes I would. Sadly, were not one of those said good team, just like NYI is not a better team at the forward position than we are, despite having, IMO, the 5th best player in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
At one point, people will need to choose. Are we stupid 'cause we keep defending our players no matter what they do? Or are we stupid 'cause we bash our players? Which is it? How about not being stupid 'cause we are able to have our OWN analysis and don't need Crosby or anybody else to make it for us? Again, as if everything Crosby says and does is always right.

Unless your point is, whenever somebody says something great about our players, we should thank him but when it's not too great...THEN he's an idiot? And THAT's not stupid?

I think it's more in line with questioning ourselves wether or not were right... Why does he say this ?

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 05:34 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
I think it's more in line with questioning ourselves wether or not were right... Why does he say this ?
I think he says this 'cause that's what he thinks. So be it. I don't have to agree. Even if he's the best player in the planet, he said other things too that I and tons of people didn't agree on. He's a great hockey player.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 06:09 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
No goalie, athlete, superstar, forward or defenseman is good ALL the time.

If that is the expectation then it is no wonder Price isn't meeting it.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 06:13 PM
habsfanatics

I love the absurdity of this fan base. They'll say or do anything to defend each and every player. Even trying to create the false idea that our team was terrible defensively, despite every single metric suggesting otherwise.

We allowed the fifth fewest shots against and had one of the best shot differentials in the league. We were in no way poor defensively. The team played great for the majority of the season, Price's play hit rock bottom, his last 10 games was some of the poorest goaltending I've seen from him.

The team was fine, Price flat out stunk for a 1/4 of the season. I dunno why some feel the need to perpetuate this myth that the team stinks and price is our only hope. It's a load of hogwash, if anything, Price has held the team back.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 06:38 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
I love the absurdity of this fan base. They'll say or do anything to defend each and every player. Even trying to create the false idea that our team was terrible defensively, despite every single metric suggesting otherwise.

We allowed the fifth fewest shots against and had one of the best shot differentials in the league. We were in no way poor defensively. The team played great for the majority of the season, Price's play hit rock bottom, his last 10 games was some of the poorest goaltending I've seen from him.

The team was fine, Price flat out stunk for a 1/4 of the season. I dunno why some feel the need to perpetuate this myth that the team stinks and price is our only hope. It's a load of hogwash, if anything, Price has held the team back.
Quantity of shots =/= dangerous shots.

You can't take 4 goals out of 10 shots and say that the metric indicates the goalie was poor.
If all 10 shots were break-aways, that would be along the league average for shootouts. So that would be an average performance.

Don't try and use shot metrics as a measure of a goaltenders performance.

Price lost us game 1 by letting in an awful Silfverberg goal in the 3rd period.
Every other game he was as good as he needed to be. We would have won that series without injuries, Therrien knowing how to employ systems that worked, and a team identity that understood you need to go to the net for the juicy rebounds that Anderson let out on EVERY SHOT.

You want to know why Anderson faces more shots than Price even though Ottawa's defensive system and team defense is better (why Anderson had such great stats).. Because A) his rebound control is terrible and B) Ottawa took away the center of the ice and teams shot from the perimeter a lot more frequently to create second chance opportunities and because they couldn't get passes through the cross seams.

Let's stop this play-off series fallacy that Price some how cost us the series and that it was his goaltending that was at fault. If that was the case, then Budaj coming in would not have peformed remarkably worse against the same team.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 07:09 PM
Craig71

Price is not elite, he is good but not elite, he has much to prove to be considered so. He was handed the reigns too early and would have been served better as a backup but instead was handed the number one job. When Halak carried us to the third round of the playoffs, Carey was still chosen as the number one, Halak like Huet was shipped away and Price got a great big contract.

Management has given him one endorsement after another, but I ask , is this the year that he lives up to it all? I will stand up and cheer the loudest if he does, despite what anyone thinks of all of us "haters", he wears our jersey and we wish him success but how much longer must we wait?

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 07:14 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
Price is not elite, he is good but not elite, he has much to prove to be considered so. He was handed the reigns too early and would have been served better as a backup but instead was handed the number one job. When Halak carried us to the third round of the playoffs, Carey was still chosen as the number one, Halak like Huet was shipped away and Price got a great big contract.

Management has given him one endorsement after another, but I ask , is this the year that he lives up to it all? I will stand up and cheer the loudest if he does, despite what anyone thinks of all of us "haters", he wears our jersey and we wish him success but how much longer must we wait?
Okay, so EVERYONE who has a contract on the habs is in the same situation. None but Plekanec have a good price on their contract, so maybe it's either your expectations ... Or it's our management that is incompetent.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 07:19 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkguy View Post

Lundy is a fantastic goalie with a fantastic defence behind him.

Staal, McDonagh, Girardi, Del Zotto is a very strong top 4 and aside from Subban they are better than every single d-man on this team.

And frankly, Subban being a Norris winner doesn't exactly prove much...He is a very different type of d-man from all of those, aside from maybe Del Zotto.

You need balance amongst your D, and we have none of it.

We have one of the WORST D-CORPS IN THE CONFERENCE. PERIOD. Aside from Subban it is extremely average.

Subban, and maybe Markov are d-men other teams would want. Emelin is getting there.

The rest? Meh...I like Gorges but aside from his work ethic he's extremely average. And the rest is pitiful, waiver wire material.

My opinion.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote