HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers @ Flyers (3-2) [W]

Old
09-18-2013, 05:31 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
Brian Boyle.

The phrase is supposed to insinuate that only the best goal scorers can actually score said goal, like when Semin rips a wrister top shelf or Stamkos loads up the cannon on the PP. It just gets used so frequently and in most cases incorrectly by play by play guys that it's meaning is closer to what you suggested.
I think however its used, its completely meaningless.

Stamkos is a good goal scorer because of the quantity of the goals he scores, not the quality.

Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Thirty One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 05:33 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
I think however its used, its completely meaningless.

Stamkos is a good goal scorer because of the quantity of the goals he scores, not the quality.
Yes and no.

If he didn't score high quality goals would he score as many?

That's what separates him from average goal scores.

But I do agree the phrase is silly, not so much when used to describe a player on HF as when it's used by announcers who have nothing original to say. At least when you read it in a description you know what the person is trying to say, instead of when someone deflects one off their skate and the announcer says it.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 05:41 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

Quote:
Yes and no.

If he didn't score high quality goals would he score as many?

That's what separates him from average goal scores.

But I do agree the phrase is silly, not so much when used to describe a player on HF as when it's used by announcers who have nothing original to say. At least when you read it in a description you know what the person is trying to say, instead of when someone deflects one off their skate and the announcer says it.
Yes, and if we didn't have someone tracking the quantity, that might be a useful means of evaluating goal scorers.

But we do, and it isn't.

It's just a way for Bardof to explain to me that only 4 of Brian Boyle's goals actually count.

Old
09-18-2013, 06:10 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Yes, and if we didn't have someone tracking the quantity, that might be a useful means of evaluating goal scorers.

But we do, and it isn't.

It's just a way for Bardof to explain to me that only 4 of Brian Boyle's goals actually count.
So all of them?

But I agree to an extent.

Old
09-18-2013, 06:11 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

Quote:
So all of them?

But I agree to an extent.
To what extent do you not?

Old
09-18-2013, 06:37 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
To what extent do you not?
I don't know if we need to continue discussing the pros and cons of the phrase "goal scorer's goal" and its validity. Which is what I was agreeing on, seems you think it's totally useless, whereas I think it's mostly useless.

Old
09-18-2013, 07:27 PM
ColonialsHockey10

I think he was the worst player on both nights as well. And I'm a huge Mac supporter and think he will be a good NHL defenseman.

The shift after he screwed up the first goal was like nothing I've ever seen. He ran around out there like a chicken with his head cut off.

Not worried about his development though. Not at all.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 07:49 PM
azaloum90

Quote:
Really? Or are you possibly being a bit dramatic? Because Shawn O'Donnell can't even skate.
Odonnel isn't terrible. Very average, but has size

azaloum90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 07:55 PM
azaloum90

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
I thought McIlrath had some decent shifts but some horrendous one's as well. That missed hip check was embarrassing. It didn't seem like he was too mobile out there at the NHL level. Disappointing.

Zuccarello and Brassard were very good. Their vision out there is unreal. I thought Pouliot worked well with them because they need a guy with some more size on that line. They need a finisher though and im not sure hes that (even though he buried that beauty of a feed from Brassard) I'd give him a shot though, because hes skilled.

Fast and Lindberg look like they can play in NHL. I thought Fast had a great game. He was all over the puck and made some nice decisions. But hell need to think the NHL game a little better. You can see that Lindberg is more seasoned in that regard, and even though he didnt show up on the scoresheet I think hes the type of depth player the Rangers can sneak out there and do some damage because he's responsible on both ends of the rink.

Dominic Moore has to be on this team. (Cant see why he wouldn't) He does so many good things on the ice on the forecheck and can actually pass and shoot. Huge upgrade over a depth guy like Powe from last year if you ask me. (its ashame that Powe is having such a good camp, but even with the goal last night I still don't have a shred of faith in him offensively)

So far in the first two games, Staal's and Moore's (John) play has stood out the most to me. Very encouraging to see.
Dear god, yes... I saw that, and thought he was a 15 year old ice skating and forgot how to stop...

azaloum90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 08:03 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Re: McIlraths mobility

Did anyone actually believe him when he said his knee was 100%? I thought to myself at the time that it was unlikely given the timetable he laid out.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 08:17 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
When he was 19 playing in the WJC he moved like Datsyuk does in the NHL. He is incredibly difficult to square up for a hit down low or anywhere when he has the puck. He is elusive.
Reading through a thread of hyperbole where people are accusing each other of hyperbole.

Comparing this kid to Datsyuk at any level is my favorite example so far, but I haven't finished the thread yet. Yeah, I understand you are not saying he will be Datsyuk, but geez.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 08:34 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Reading through a thread of hyperbole where people are accusing each other of hyperbole.

Comparing this kid to Datsyuk at any level is my favorite example so far, but I haven't finished the thread yet. Yeah, I understand you are not saying he will be Datsyuk, but geez.
And here we have my one of my biggest pet peeves on HFBoards.

Players can look like another player. Benoit Pouliot looks like Evgeni Malkin out there, but it would take a fool to believe he's as good, or think someone was comparing him being as good as Malkin.

Chris Kreider has a ton of tendencies that remind me of Jeff Carter.

Staal has some tendencies that remind me of Chris Pronger.

Have a field day.

Also, the thing that makes the NHL's best so good is that they're not one trick ponies. Lesser players can be as good or even better then Superstars at a certain trait, even if that said star is great at it. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the OP you quoted. Fast was dynamite in his WJC appearance, and I remember thinking how slippery he was.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 08:58 PM
Lindberg Cheese

Quote:
I don't know if we need to continue discussing the pros and cons of the phrase "goal scorer's goal" and its validity. Which is what I was agreeing on, seems you think it's totally useless, whereas I think it's mostly useless.
Lets talk about secondary assists. If a player has 70 assists in a season, all of them secondary, shoild he be considered a good a "set up" man or he he a good "set up the set up man" player. Assuming said player pots 20 goals (lets assume they were all quality), should he be paid as a 90 pt player or as a p

Lindberg Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 12:12 AM
Glen Sathers Cigar
Sather = Evil Genius

I'm thinking this is our roster:

Kreider-Richards-Nash
Hagelin-Stepan-Callahan
Pouliot-Brassard-Zuccarello
Boyle-Moore-Dorsett

Extra: Pyatt

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Del Zotto
Moore-Stralman

Extras: Falk, Bickel

Lundqvist
Biron

AV said he likes to carry 13 F and 8 D.

Glen Sathers Cigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 12:32 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Sathers Cigar View Post
I'm thinking this is our roster:

Kreider-Richards-Nash
Hagelin-Stepan-Callahan
Pouliot-Brassard-Zuccarello
Boyle-Moore-Dorsett

Extra: Pyatt

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Del Zotto
Moore-Stralman

Extras: Falk, Bickel

Lundqvist
Biron

AV said he likes to carry 13 F and 8 D.
OK
How about:

Kreider-Richards-Nash 1
Stepan-Lindberg-Fast 2B
Pouliot-Brassard-Zuccarello 2A
Boyle-Moore-Dorsett 3

Spare: One of Pyatt, Haley, Mash or Asham

This before Hagelin-Callahan return?

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 01:46 AM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
OK
How about:

Kreider-Richards-Nash 1
Stepan-Lindberg-Fast 2B
Pouliot-Brassard-Zuccarello 2A
Boyle-Moore-Dorsett 3

Spare: One of Pyatt, Haley, Mash or Asham

This before Hagelin-Callahan return?
Except that you would never move Step to wing. All of his value lies in his ability to be a great center. Move the kid, Lindberg, to the wing if anything.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 03:38 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
I'll never forget the hysteria when Gilroy was sent down to Hartford during his rookie year when he really should have started the season there all along. And then Brooks added to the madness by suggesting that Rozy should have been sent down instead.
But OTC, don't you remember, a large group was dead certain that Michael Rozsival was maybe the worst D in the entire league (litterary) and could not for the life of them understand how Renney could play Rozi over Gilroy (or Baranka or Lampman and co). Not to mention Malik...

We still ***** and moan a lot, but to be honest, there isn't much on these boards nowadays that is really hard to stand. That used to be the case.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 06:20 AM
Raspewtin
Early To The Party

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanned On It View Post
Except that you would never move Step to wing. All of his value lies in his ability to be a great center. Move the kid, Lindberg, to the wing if anything.
He becomes less effective then. His FO's and defensive game are off the charts, moving him to wing wouldn't help him. IMO he needs to center a line.

Raspewtin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 06:54 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
And here we have my one of my biggest pet peeves on HFBoards.

Players can look like another player. Benoit Pouliot looks like Evgeni Malkin out there, but it would take a fool to believe he's as good, or think someone was comparing him being as good as Malkin.

Chris Kreider has a ton of tendencies that remind me of Jeff Carter.

Staal has some tendencies that remind me of Chris Pronger.

Have a field day.

Also, the thing that makes the NHL's best so good is that they're not one trick ponies. Lesser players can be as good or even better then Superstars at a certain trait, even if that said star is great at it. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the OP you quoted. Fast was dynamite in his WJC appearance, and I remember thinking how slippery he was.
Yeah, I once struck out a guy with a nasty curve and reminded myself of Blyleven.

Staal and Pronger? Is it that they both wear ice skates when they play?

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 10:09 AM
kovazub94
Enigmatic

Quote:
I make that point frequently in Staal-McDonagh debates.

I don't care a lick about McIlrath's draft position. That's a sunk cost at this point. I want him to succeed, and I like his skillset, but I can't agree with any assessment of his performance last night that doesn't end on bad. He looked like he was always half a step behind the play.
This. I missed watching the game on Tuesday so I had a "benefit" of reading comments before I watched the game for myself. I can't believe how some of you completely dismissed McIlrath's performance (as nerves or trying to show too much) and all types of mistakes he made against Flyers. This preseason he's auditioning for the role of being first (second) in line to get a call during regular season. I'm counting that he is going to perform (much) better during the rest of preseason but there is no way to differently grade his performance on Tuesday - he should get an F for this game.

P.S. For the record I'm supportive of ALL our projects and wholeheartedly hope that all of them pan out as projected. So even though I'm annoyed with posters that 3 years after the draft still bring up other available options at that time (some of them with hindsight to beef up their argument) I don't understand how it's possible to find positives from Tuesday game. My take - (hopefully) it should only get better from now on.

kovazub94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 02:08 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovazub94 View Post
This. I missed watching the game on Tuesday so I had a "benefit" of reading comments before I watched the game for myself. I can't believe how some of you completely dismissed McIlrath's performance (as nerves or trying to show too much) and all types of mistakes he made against Flyers. This preseason he's auditioning for the role of being first (second) in line to get a call during regular season. I'm counting that he is going to perform (much) better during the rest of preseason but there is no way to differently grade his performance on Tuesday - he should get an F for this game.

P.S. For the record I'm supportive of ALL our projects and wholeheartedly hope that all of them pan out as projected. So even though I'm annoyed with posters that 3 years after the draft still bring up other available options at that time (some of them with hindsight to beef up their argument) I don't understand how it's possible to find positives from Tuesday game. My take - (hopefully) it should only get better from now on.
I agree with this. I'm not very optimistic when it comes to McIlrath, however. He looks bad out there.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 02:51 PM
bernmeister

Catching up after time off for kidney stones.

Not gonna read 8 pages past. Just sayin', I've said we may have an option in Cam Talbot, with his super fast glove, and while he needs more development of his overall game, I think this test vs. Philly kinda proved my point.

He's a natural to EVENTUALLY return to Buffalo where somebody said his missus has some biz or something goin on. I realize they got 2 backstops on their roster, and no room for Biron until Ryan Miller is dealt; but if they don't have to take someone back, he'd be a great fit there and that would save us $$$ cap.

bernmeister is online now   Reply With Quote