HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can Kesler Return To Selke Form

Old
09-18-2013, 02:48 AM
maroon 6
Live and let live

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
Kesler is great off the rush, that 2010-2011 team had the best transition game of any Canuck team I've ever seen. We're nowhere near that level now and it hurts him.
Agree with this. A good pp also helped him. Two things that Ehrhoff could of helped us with but..

maroon 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 02:49 AM
tc23
#StopWeberSbisa2014

Quote:
Kesler is great off the rush, that 2010-2011 team had the best transition game of any Canuck team I've ever seen. We're nowhere near that level now and it hurts him.
Hopefully with some faster line mates, Kesler can re-create some of that magic this upcoming season.

tc23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 03:28 AM
BoHorvatFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroon 6 View Post
Agree with this. A good pp also helped him. Two things that Ehrhoff could of helped us with but..
Yeah they have to get the pp going, not just to get him back to his old self but if the team wants to go anywhere it needs a drastic improvement.

Totally agree on Ehrhoff, he had his flaws but he was a gigantic part of the great PP and the best transition d-man we've had in a long time. Now our D is solid on paper but all too similar, nobody as dynamic as he was unless Edler is playing one of his 5 out of this world games per year.

BoHorvatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 03:46 AM
huntison

35 goals from Kes

huntison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 03:50 AM
nameless1
AKA Sami Booth

Yes.
He is in his prime...
And he only tapered off because of injuries.

Fortunately...
Those injuries did not rob him of his strengths...
Which is his speed...
His skating ability...
And his tenacity...
And he can still do what he does best.

nameless1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 03:50 AM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Kesler's offensive totals will depend on Zack Kassian. If Kassian lives up to expectation with the twins, you'd imagine Kesler would be off that top pp. If Kes isn't on that top pp unit, don't expect big numbers but at least we'll have secondary scoring. It's basically as simple as that.

Plus, the Canucks still don't have a puck moving defense man on the roster so, who knows if it will be successful at all.
Not necessarily. Kesler may remain a fixture on the first unit because he has a better net presence and overall a better scoring than Kassian, even if the latter is playing well. Alternatively, we could see Kesler shift to the point alongside Edler or Garrison. That ma reduce his goal total, but rocket his assists.

Bourne Endeavor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 03:52 AM
denkiteki

He can if he's healthy and stays healthy. He's by far the best defensive center on the team and also the best in the circle so you could probably argue he's the most important/valuable person to the team not in net...

denkiteki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 09:44 AM
Astoria
KESLERKESLERKESLER

Gotta agree with what some others have stated... If he remains healthy and utilizes his linemates it's possible.

Astoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 11:11 AM
Steveorama

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless1 View Post
Yes.
He is in his prime...
And he only tapered off because of injuries.

Fortunately...
Those injuries did not rob him of his strengths...
Which is his speed...
His skating ability...
And his tenacity...
And he can still do what he does best.
Are you addicted to ellipses...?

Steveorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 11:22 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
Kesler's offensive totals will depend on Zack Kassian. If Kassian lives up to expectation with the twins, you'd imagine Kesler would be off that top pp. If Kes isn't on that top pp unit, don't expect big numbers but at least we'll have secondary scoring. It's basically as simple as that.

Plus, the Canucks still don't have a puck moving defense man on the roster so, who knows if it will be successful at all.
False.

09-10 Kesler was on the second unit. He had 12 PP goals and 26 PP points (2nd on the team).

10-11 In his 41 goal, Selke year he had 15 PP goals and 30 PP points on the PP unit with the Twins.

Not really a discernible difference for me.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 11:29 AM
luongo321

Quote:
Ehrhoff ****ed our team. MG should have ditched Ballard and given hoffer his extra about 1 mill.

luongo321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 01:03 PM
VanCity Millionaires

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
It was the best kind of magic.
I honestly think that this phrase sums it up perfectly. Is it possible? Of course it is possible. It's just that it will take a special kind of magic for it to take place. With a player, like Kesler, who blocks that many shots and throws his body around like he does, there is (in my opinion) an element of luck, chance, or whatever you want to call it that needs to be present.

VanCity Millionaires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 01:10 PM
Proto

The questions about his offensive game I think are overstated. It's not whether he's a 25 goal guy or a 40 goal guy, or a 60 point guy or a 70 point guy. If he's healthy, I think he'll be the same mega elite 5v5 player he has been. His offensive totals are mostly an issue of whether the PP sorts itself out and returns to form. If it does, he's so good on the power play that I think he could find himself back in 40-45 goal/80 point territory.

If he's healthy and the PP is just mediocre, he'll probably be around a 30-35 goal/65 point player.

It's just health. I don't think it's about returning to form or anything like that.

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 01:27 PM
OEL for Norris
"Derpman-Larsson"

In a word yes. I don't think this is the year,but I do think he will reestablish himself a bit ie 75+Gp ~30G,~30A,~60pts this season

OEL for Norris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 02:43 PM
MS

I'm expecting about 25 goals and 55 points with excellent defensive play. Which is still an excellent #2 center and good value for his contract.

His skating to me just doesn't seem to be at the level it was circa 2010 - we haven't consistently seen him wind up and hit the neutral zone at top speed since the 2011 playoffs, and when he did that he was the most dangerous Canuck (and had the most ability to back up a defense) through the neutral zone since Bure.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 02:46 PM
vanwest

If he's healthy for the year I see 60 points as pretty much his floor and think that he lands between 60-70. His playmaking ability on the powerplay with the Sedins is really underrated. If the powerplay is top third again (which I believe it will be with a healthy Kesler) then this will give him lots of points.

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 04:43 PM
Royal Canuck
Go Canucks Go!

Gotta stay healthy.

And go back to Bauer.

Easton doesn't suit him.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
PSN - TBennz
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 04:48 PM
thepuckmonster
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Canuck View Post
Gotta stay healthy.

And go back to Bauer.

Easton doesn't suit him.
Apparently the Easton skates he has this year are phenomenal (according to conditioning coach in Victoria) for speedsters with high end skating ability like Kes.

Interestingly enough he's not a Vancouver fan but says Kesler is the best skater in the league (technique, speed, efficiency, etc).

thepuckmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 05:03 PM
drivier

I hope I'm wrong but I believe Kesler's brief moment of fame got to his head. He used to be a puck distributor as well as a player with a good shot. Now, he rips head-high wristers from the slot that miss everything on an all to frequent basis.

It's not the talent/skills. He has those in spades. I just hope he learns how to use team-mates to avoid predictability that has hampered him and the team. *Cue the he has had no one to play with discussion here*

drivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 05:37 PM
Catamarca Livin

Against SJ i think it was game 2 Kesler had the best 10 minute span i have ever seen a Canuck have in the playoffs. He scored 2 goals and ran over every Shark in sight. So he has lost nothing it will be a matter of consistency. He is the most important player in the Canucks winning because the Sedins are so consistent if Kesler is elite this is a good team no matter what else is happening. I always preferred the Sedins to Kesler as they are quiet consistent players but Kesler is the X factor on the team. He can raise his game for 5 games stretches that are all world. The scoring will depend on his health. If Kesler is healthy the pp will be good, it is that simple. Kesler is as good today as he ever was.

Catamarca Livin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 09:24 PM
vadim sharifijanov
Rrbata

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
It was the best kind of magic.
and turned everyone into the worst kind of panicky reactionary paranoid negative jerks after.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 09:27 PM
vadim sharifijanov
Rrbata

Quote:

he's still the best rhs from the point

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 09:36 PM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
and turned everyone into the worst kind of panicky reactionary paranoid negative jerks after.
It really did spoil part of the fanbase.

Who unfortunately have not been able to enjoy what has been the bet decade this franchise ever had.

But fortunately, I don't think it is necessarily over yet.

And a lot is riding on a guy like Kesler.

ddawg1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 09:39 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
If it does, he's so good on the power play that I think he could find himself back in 40-45 goal/80 point territory.
Too optimistic, for no other reason that scoring goals in the West has become next to impossible and the tougher, more defensive division won't help either.

Assuming Kesler is healthy, I expect the PP to be back in the top 10 and his offense in the 25-30 goal, 60 point range.

Wouldn't be surprised if nobody in the West cracks 80 points.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 10:22 PM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Too optimistic, for no other reason that scoring goals in the West has become next to impossible and the tougher, more defensive division won't help either.

Assuming Kesler is healthy, I expect the PP to be back in the top 10 and his offense in the 25-30 goal, 60 point range.

Wouldn't be surprised if nobody in the West cracks 80 points.
Maybe. Two years ago he had 15 goals and 15 assists on the power play alone. If the Canucks PP starts clicking like that, he could test 40 again. A lot of it will depend on officiating standards.

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote