HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs Cuts (28th: Dumont clears waivers)

Old
09-18-2013, 03:35 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
That info is not accurate, he has 3 years AHL, not two.
This. He has to go on waivers.

However, I don't see any team wanting him for their 4th line centre so I doubt he gets claimed. Same with Mayer.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 03:48 PM
Habaddict

Quote:
He was both good anmd consistant his rookie year.
Yes. Since then there has been new input. He was neither last year.

It seems reasonable that the organization would like him to concentrate on
being a good player for one team, and working on his game, instead of
constantly trying out for, and playing for new teams. Playing in exhibition
games seems like a repetition of everything wrong with this guy's development.

I, for one, would like to see him have a year off. That is to say, a year when
he is only playing hockey, not trying to make a team. In fact, I hope they told
him that in April. That way he could work-out properly for the whole summer,
without concerning himself with being in shape for training camp.

Last edited by Habaddict: 09-18-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Habaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 03:51 PM
HCH

Quote:
He was both good and consistant his rookie year.
Unfortuantely for Leblanc, in the world of hockey that is ancient history... his performance last year weighs more on his evaluation than what he did two seasons ago.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 04:05 PM
Habaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
Unfortuantely for Leblanc, in the world of hockey that is ancient history... his performance last year weighs more on his evaluation than what he did two seasons ago.
It certainly tells you more about his chances to be a good NHL player.
Almost all players that make the NHL improve at that age. The case where
a player is noticeably worse, and still becomes a good player, is rare.

Still it does happen. In Lablanc's case, I think his development was harmed
by constantly trying out for new teams. And then he had the sort of injuries
that may have prevented him from building the power/strength he could have
had.
But he's only 22. And it seems like the Habs get it now. So I still think he'll be
a good NHL player. I just hope it's with the Habs.

Last edited by Habaddict: 09-18-2013 at 04:10 PM.
Old
09-18-2013, 04:10 PM
Sorinth

Quote:
No it's only ancient history in Habsland. In the hockey world people look at more than just the latest hot/cold streak.

Sorinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 04:11 PM
Ezpz
No mad pls

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
No it's only ancient history in Habsland. In the hockey world people look at more than just the latest hot/cold streak.
That's simply not true.

Ezpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 04:46 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Well Grant was right. Grant kept saying that his demotion had mostly to go with what happened last year. And Therrien confirmed it. No matter what he would have done in the Bruins game, he was leaving early. And they had no intention in seeing him do well in 2 or 3 games as leaving early was always the plan. So that's why he left early. That was the plan. I don't agree. But they are in charge. They said that they want to see more of Collberg, Thomas and McCarron. Personnally, we all know that Collberg is going so I don't see the point. Fine, I,ll agree that they do have to get some games to Thomas. McCarron, well most of us all know that he's going to be a stud, he can see him more a couple of times if he wants, it won't change anything. I guess only for our viewing pleasure. But I don't see how it makes Leblanc not needed if you want to see those guys....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 04:54 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Fortunately for him if he has a strong 1st half nobody will remember last season.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 05:11 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Well Grant was right. Grant kept saying that his demotion had mostly to go with what happened last year. And Therrien confirmed it. No matter what he would have done in the Bruins game, he was leaving early. And they had no intention in seeing him do well in 2 or 3 games as leaving early was always the plan. So that's why he left early. That was the plan. I don't agree. But they are in charge. They said that they want to see more of Collberg, Thomas and McCarron. Personnally, we all know that Collberg is going so I don't see the point. Fine, I,ll agree that they do have to get some games to Thomas. McCarron, well most of us all know that he's going to be a stud, he can see him more a couple of times if he wants, it won't change anything. I guess only for our viewing pleasure. But I don't see how it makes Leblanc not needed if you want to see those guys....
Unless this demotion warrants an early call-up, theres no sense in this, well there's one and that is that they don't care about LL. Collberg is not going to play in the NHL, sadly, will McCarron play? That would be even dumber than Collberg...

Now they'd have to tell me what Thomas did to be ahead of LL ... He surely outscored the kid who was forced to play dumb 3rd and 4th line minutes.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 05:42 PM
Moen in Glory
Sidebar is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Unless this demotion warrants an early call-up, theres no sense in this, well there's one and that is that they don't care about LL. Collberg is not going to play in the NHL, sadly, will McCarron play? That would be even dumber than Collberg...

Now they'd have to tell me what Thomas did to be ahead of LL ... He surely outscored the kid who was forced to play dumb 3rd and 4th line minutes.
We don't know what they asked him to focus on.

Everybody saw what Louis can (and can't) do during his stint with the big club, and sometimes you're evaluated on something else than your strengths. Again, these players are at different stages in their development. If some player is only interested in one aspect of the game and seems to neglect the others, team staff will not be pleased, even though it might go unnoticed for everybody else.

I'm not saying this is what happened with Leblanc, but a team and its fans often have different expectations and opinions on top prospects.

Moen in Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 06:07 PM
Habaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post

Although an early call-up is possible, I hope they don't reach for this.
Let the kid play hockey for a while without chasing back and forth between
teams. I realize that it is traditional to let someone like him play in an exhibition
game, but do you think that is what he needs for his development???

And now that they seem to care about LL's development, please tell me
what Thomas, or anyone else has to do with it.

Old
09-18-2013, 06:13 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
If that's the case then why did they sign Briere?

They have it reversed. It's the young prospect that should get a break and another chance, not the aging over the hill veteran.
Why is DD still getting minutes with the best winger?
Why was Drewiske re-signed? Why did they play a game of chicken with their star Dman after he had proven that he could effectively shutdown opponents and produce?

They go with their evaluations of whatever player they're discussing.
In Leblanc's case, apparently they sent him down because they knew who he was and what he brought, which is a pretty stupid statement to make. Are they expecting Blunden to show some new incredible flashes of brilliance and kept him for it?

I'm a strength and conditioning coach. If I want one, or two, or a couple of players to succeed, I want them around me. That's why I have a hard time believing the organization really has a big place for LL. To them it's win-win, if he does well then great, they can say that it's exactly what they wanted to happen. If it doesn't, then they can say they were right to cut him.

But I just don't think they view LL high at all. You usually keep those prospects for longer.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 06:15 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moen in Glory View Post
We don't know what they asked him to focus on.

Everybody saw what Louis can (and can't) do during his stint with the big club, and sometimes you're evaluated on something else than your strengths. Again, these players are at different stages in their development. If some player is only interested in one aspect of the game and seems to neglect the others, team staff will not be pleased, even though it might go unnoticed for everybody else.

I'm not saying this is what happened with Leblanc, but a team and its fans often have different expectations and opinions on top prospects.
Fans don't know much of what really happens. That's why when a kid seems to be having a good camp, and he gets sent down, it raises eyebrows.
Maybe they just don't like the kid, which is what I'm starting to believe more and more.
We don't really know why he got sent down.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 06:31 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Fans don't know much of what really happens. That's why when a kid seems to be having a good camp, and he gets sent down, it raises eyebrows.
Maybe they just don't like the kid, which is what I'm starting to believe more and more.
We don't really know why he got sent down.
Louis Leblanc will have every opportunity playing for Hamilton to prove that he belongs in Montreal.

He did not do that last season. He has a fresh clean slate in front of him.

It is all on Leblanc. He will determine his future with this organization.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 06:50 PM
Grant McCagg

Holy fudge guys....you do know that Leblanc could be a Hab regular by the end of October for all we know? You do know that he can be recalled this season......stop trying to read the tea leaves.

Habs management is not a bunch of dolts - there is a method to the madness...they noticed the improvement, and have no intention on giving up on him...this is a message to Louis..nothing more..nothing less.

Can we drop this?

Grant McCagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 07:05 PM
Habaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
Holy fudge guys....you do know that Leblanc could be a Hab regular by the end of October for all we know? You do know that he can be recalled this season......stop trying to read the tea leaves.

Habs management is not a bunch of dolts - there is a method to the madness...they noticed the improvement, and have no intention on giving up on him...this is a message to Louis..nothing more..nothing less.

Can we drop this?
Well you're more likely to be right than most. But most are here because we
enjoy doing this. And there has been no meaningful games yet, so booing is
premature. We must do something.

Old
09-18-2013, 07:15 PM
AntonCH

a lot of people here are talking like the habs owed LL something
Shouldn't it be the other way around?
The Habs drafted him, he owes them the dedication and work ethic required to make it to the next level.
He had a bad year last year, he didn't make the big club, got injured and was stuck in neutral for the balance of the year.
So where I'm from, you go to Hamilton bear down and show them that you deserve a shot at the big club.
Showing up to camp in shape and playing one decent game warrants nothing.

I wonder how many of the fan base got medals for just showing up when they were kids?

Last edited by AntonCH: 09-18-2013 at 10:03 PM.
AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 07:21 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

I can't believe how crappy DD has looked so far. Like he's not even trying to get better. So disappointing, but it's still early at least.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 09:41 PM
Sorinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post

Can we drop this?
What is the message exactly? We already know enough about your potential so we're not going to give you a chance to earn a spot.

That seems like a pretty terrible way of doing things.

Sorinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 10:38 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
What is the message exactly? We already know enough about your potential so we're not going to give you a chance to earn a spot.

I agree with this. I don't like this way of operating, long term it creates nothing but a fractured dressing room. I'm not against sending LeBlanc down but the way it was handled was wrong, imo.

-----------

When we traded for Thomas I would of rather have gotten nothing for Kristo instead and I haven't seen anything yet to change my mind.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 10:44 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:

EVERYONE knows/knew that Leblanc was not going to make the Habs roster. Even the people complaining about "timing" admit to that.

Lets say that everyone knows that your hot girlfriend is about to cut you. Dump you and send you packing.

Would it really matter if she dumped you on Monday or let you have a mercy date on Friday and then dump you on Saturday? The end result is the same.

Old
09-18-2013, 10:46 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
EVERYONE knows/knew that Leblanc was not going to make the Habs roster. Even the people complaining about "timing" admit to that.

Lets say that everyone knows that your hot girlfriend is about to cut you. Dump you and send you packing.

Would it really matter if she dumped you on Monday or let you have a mercy date on Friday and then dump you on Saturday? The end result is the same.
A mercy "date" always make the dumping easier imo. Except women never offer the "mercy" dates.

Your analogy is failing in that regard but I more less agree with everything else. We all knew he was going to be cut but after his horrible season, the Habs should have used positive reinforcement in this case instead of tough love.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 11:16 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

The way i see it, in regards to Leblanc, is that preseason is more about the coaching staff than about the players, and what i mean by that is that this is their assessment period. They've already assessed Leblanc now over 2-3 training camps (not sure how many but you get the point) and they'd seen enough after the intrasquad scrimmages and the exhibition game to know that he will start in the AHL. For others like McCarron for instance, it's completely different, it's their first time seeing him against NHlers, and want a longer look if they see something interesting. Everyone's focusing too much on the players and their feelings, but really the training camp is about maximizing how much the coaches can learn about their players.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 11:33 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
A mercy "date" always make the dumping easier imo. Except women never offer the "mercy" dates.

Your analogy is failing in that regard but I more less agree with everything else. We all knew he was going to be cut but after his horrible season, the Habs should have used positive reinforcement in this case instead of tough love.
True, women really dont offer mercy dates.

Neither do NHL General Managers.

Old
09-18-2013, 11:35 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
True, women really dont offer mercy dates.

Neither do NHL General Managers.
Good point.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote