HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers sign Samuel Morin to a three-year entry-level contract (AAV $1.425m yr.)

Old
09-18-2013, 12:36 AM
Jtown

vCash: 500
maybe the contract serves as a little bit of an incentive for him to keep progressing. Having that type of money means being able to take better care of himself as well which is important.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 06:09 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 579
Morin is far too rough around the edges, as anticipated when he was drafted, to be even considered for an NHL spot this season. You don't "develop" at the NHL level at age 18. That's why they have junior and minor leagues, especially since there isn't a spot for him on the team right now. It is far, far better for him to go down and dominate the Q than to stay here and not even be a top 4 defenseman.

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2015

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 08:14 AM
BernieParent

The perfect solution: keep Morin for 9 games on Couturier's wing.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 10:48 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Morin is far too rough around the edges, as anticipated when he was drafted, to be even considered for an NHL spot this season. You don't "develop" at the NHL level at age 18. That's why they have junior and minor leagues, especially since there isn't a spot for him on the team right now. It is far, far better for him to go down and dominate the Q than to stay here and not even be a top 4 defenseman.
Agree completely. This team cannot afford to get off to a bad start again. The last thing we'd need is to lose a game because Sam made a rookie mistake, no matter how good he is.

Let him go to the retreat, play another ex game or two, then send him back. We don't have room on the roster or cap space to experiment right now.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 02:58 PM
NHLAlert
@nhl_alert

Morin sent back to juniors

NHLAlert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 03:19 PM
tymed

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...o_juniors.html

Quote:
Morin goes back One day after he signed an entry-level contract, Flyers defenseman Sam Morin was sent back to his junior team. Morin, 18, the Flyers' first-round pick in the June draft, was impressive in two exhibition games with the Flyers. In a tweet, the 6-foot-6, 211-pounder thanked the Flyers and said he will play for Rimouski Oceanic in the QMJHL. That said, he is ahead of schedule and figures to battle for a spot with the Flyers next year.
little confused here but better sooner than never.

tymed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 03:34 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymed View Post
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...o_juniors.html

little confused here but better sooner than never.
Rimouski's season has started. 2-0 with games coming up Fri and Sat. Let him go there and keep the streak going!

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 03:41 PM
kelmitchell

[QUOTE=Snotbubbles;71228495]Gus stinks. I don't get all the love this guy gets around here.[/Q

FINALLY! ! ! ! someone agrees with me gus is really not as good as everyone here says he's more like another 7th ddman in my opinion yes he has potential but hes not good

kelmitchell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 03:57 PM
Spongolium*

Gus has played at a solid level whenever he has played for the flyers. He's having a rough pre-season. That doesn't mean anything in the long run. His projected upside is a 2nd pairing defenseman. He should at least be given the chance to get there.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 04:02 PM
tuckrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyboatcaptn View Post
Gus has played at a solid level whenever he has played for the flyers. He's having a rough pre-season. That doesn't mean anything in the long run. His ceiling is a 2nd pairing defenseman. He should at least be given the chance to get there.
ffy.

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 04:54 PM
NHLAlert
@nhl_alert

Quote:
Gus has played at a solid level whenever he has played for the flyers. He's having a rough pre-season. That doesn't mean anything in the long run. His projected upside is a 2nd pairing defenseman. He should at least be given the chance to get there.
Well put. He just needs to play a bunch of games in the NHL to adjust or to atleast see if he can stick. He played very well at the end of last season for the flyers and even better in the WC. He had one bad pre season game and looked better against Toronto, but again it was pre season. He's a cheap option right now that can move the puck, play good D and provide offensive when at the top of his game

NHLAlert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 05:43 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
I don't know if I'd agree with that. His first action in 30 or so games two years ago were ok at best on average. He looked good sometimes, pedestrian sometimes, and bad sometimes. Last season I would call a solid performance for the most part. That being said, and this is the argument I have been making for most of the offseason...30 decent games in the NHL does not make someone a top four defender. Hell even if he was the best defenseman on this team for part of a partial season, I wouldn't go into the next season calling him our best defenseman. He may one day be the top four defender that people are saying he is now, but playing well for part of a partial season (and playing at the same level or below for part of another season) does not make someone a top four defender. Yeah, yeah, his CORSI in his 60 games in the NHL was higher than Al Iafrate's was in the 1991-92 season! We'll see what happens this season because he certainly isn't doing himself any favors in these exhibition games.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 06:43 PM
04' hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLAlert View Post
Morin sent back to juniors
great news, Sam, go back and have fun !

04' hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 06:44 PM
LegionOfDoom91

We could see Morin & Oceanic down the road in the Memorial Cup because that team is loaded.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 02:11 AM
SchennSational1022*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
We could see Morin & Oceanic down the road in the Memorial Cup because that team is loaded.
They are that good? I dont follow teams in juniors usually only specific players.

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 09:22 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenbergg View Post
They are that good? I dont follow teams in juniors usually only specific players.
Most consider them to be the favorite to win the Q. They had three players drafted in the first two rounds this past draft.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 10:27 AM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

Hope Gus can step it up when the games start to count. Never been a big fan of his game, but I'm hoping he has a bit of a coming out party. I would have liked to see morin get a few regular season games in before being sent back to juniors. I don't think it would have hurt to have him play 4-5 games of a tryout and then send him back. I guess it doesn't really matter though, let's hope he takes some big steps in his development in rimouski this season!

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 10:32 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Why does it seem like people are confused/upset by the signing and/or the sending Morin back to Juniors? The contract slides, so it doesn't make a difference as to whether or not he signs it today or the day before his rights expire if he is going back to Juniors (unless I am missing something with RFA statuses or something like that). Perhaps the Flyers could have saved $100k on the deal or something if he signed later, but they also risk having to pay more if he lights up the Q this year.

As far as sending him back to Juniors goes, what is the difference? We all knew he wasn't going to make the team this year. They wanted him signed and they got that accomplished. He went back to Juniors as everyone planned. Nothing to see here.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote