HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Workout Thread Part II - I do 3 sets of nutrition

Old
08-23-2013, 07:23 AM
Zbynek

vCash: 500

Awesome year old video of Subban/Stamkos/Tavares/Skinner offseason workout plans.

Fair amount of Gary Roberts in here as well. Good stuff

Zbynek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 08:27 AM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

Specialized hockey training is so tough. These guys train for hours daily doing a bit of everything. Maintaining strength while also maximizing endurance and balance are essential.

Thanks for the vid.

PS - PK's a beast !

PensBandwagonerNo272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 08:29 AM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

Quote:
Originally Posted by JxStaalx11 View Post
i started this 21 day "bizzy man" diet challenge off of http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/the-bizzy-diet.html and it works amazingly. ive dropped 11 lbs in 10 days. the only thing that kills me is the dieting. no carbs. i love my carbs and its hard to do. but ive cut them out and it shows. already see my abs coming back in. its pretty nuts. if you are wanting to cut fat, try this workout program. btw you dont need the supplements.
Make sure you are getting lot's of protein on a diet like this, and you maintain your previous strength routines, or you are likely going to see pretty rapid loss of strength and lean mass.

~10lbs a week is almost 2X too fast for most people. It's normally recommended to keep around the ~3lbs a week mark for people really concerned with maintaining lean mass.

Old
08-23-2013, 08:54 AM
Syrinx
Heh...

I've decided I'm going to start training for a Tough Mudder/Spartan type race to celebrate my 50th birthday next year (October). I'm looking for one that is not too brutal, probably 5k or under, more about the spirit of it than possible death for a 50 year old first timer.

I need advice on which are the 'friendlier' races, training advice, and cardio/running benchmarks I'd need to meet to be able to do the race.

Anyone have any advice?

Syrinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 08:58 AM
Syrinx
Heh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JxStaalx11 View Post
i started this 21 day "bizzy man" diet challenge off of http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/the-bizzy-diet.html and it works amazingly. ive dropped 11 lbs in 10 days. the only thing that kills me is the dieting. no carbs. i love my carbs and its hard to do. but ive cut them out and it shows. already see my abs coming back in. its pretty nuts. if you are wanting to cut fat, try this workout program. btw you dont need the supplements.
I looked at that one but am not worried about weight or looks as much as I am strength. I did the 'shortcut to size' on there and feel like it missed some major exercises and muscles. I'm in the middle of Kris Gethin's Daily Trainer and absolutely love it. I'm hitting muscles that I never knew I had and feel like I get results every day.

Old
08-23-2013, 09:39 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrinx View Post
I've decided I'm going to start training for a Tough Mudder/Spartan type race to celebrate my 50th birthday next year (October). I'm looking for one that is not too brutal, probably 5k or under, more about the spirit of it than possible death for a 50 year old first timer.

I need advice on which are the 'friendlier' races, training advice, and cardio/running benchmarks I'd need to meet to be able to do the race.

Anyone have any advice?
The Warrior Dash is 5k and is pretty straight forward. All types of ages and fitness levels can do it. It's still a challenge but nothing over the top.

Shady Machine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 11:11 AM
ZapRowsdower13
Ticklish Tummy Tumx2

Send a message via AIM to ZapRowsdower13
Question for those of you who do the clean and jerk or any exercise of the sort. When I was born I was a big child and coming out something happend with my left arm, the doctors orginally thought I'd have trouble with it. To me it's completly fine now except I can't raise it all the way above my head. It's been a joke with my friends that I can never be and NFL ref because I can't do the touchdown signal. It's something with the physical makeup of my arm/shoulder that won't allow it to go up on its own. If I pull it up with my right its fine, just looks kinked. I know it also looks a bit odd when I do pull ups, which I can do plenty of but again do to how my arm/shoulder is when I do overhand pullups for my back it looks as if I'm off, only ever had one person tell me about it really.

My question is about doing something like the clean and jerk or even shoulder presses. I know people put a lot on these lifts but I don't feel safe doing them. When I do work shoulders and feel the need to press I use the Smith machine. I've also tried numerous times to do the Arnold press for shoulders and the left just doesn't get there. I have plenty of muscle to do bicep curls or what have you but things that involve me pressing above my head just dont work.

I also bring this up with the explosion of Crossfit, always been fine with lifting myself and found plenty of other things to challenge/push me me but I know how big the clean is or appears to be for these things. So a well of text and life story later I ask that if I were to go to a Crossfit gym and during the clean and jerk would it be ok that I didn't do it?

ZapRowsdower13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 11:46 AM
UnrealMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZapRowsdower13 View Post
Question for those of you who do the clean and jerk or any exercise of the sort. When I was born I was a big child and coming out something happend with my left arm, the doctors orginally thought I'd have trouble with it. To me it's completly fine now except I can't raise it all the way above my head. It's been a joke with my friends that I can never be and NFL ref because I can't do the touchdown signal. It's something with the physical makeup of my arm/shoulder that won't allow it to go up on its own. If I pull it up with my right its fine, just looks kinked. I know it also looks a bit odd when I do pull ups, which I can do plenty of but again do to how my arm/shoulder is when I do overhand pullups for my back it looks as if I'm off, only ever had one person tell me about it really.

My question is about doing something like the clean and jerk or even shoulder presses. I know people put a lot on these lifts but I don't feel safe doing them. When I do work shoulders and feel the need to press I use the Smith machine. I've also tried numerous times to do the Arnold press for shoulders and the left just doesn't get there. I have plenty of muscle to do bicep curls or what have you but things that involve me pressing above my head just dont work.

I also bring this up with the explosion of Crossfit, always been fine with lifting myself and found plenty of other things to challenge/push me me but I know how big the clean is or appears to be for these things. So a well of text and life story later I ask that if I were to go to a Crossfit gym and during the clean and jerk would it be ok that I didn't do it?
Just do cleans and don't do the jerk. Cleans are the much more useful portion of the lift anyway. You can do full clean, power clean, hang clean, etc. Ever see an Olympic lifting accident? You don't want to. Just do what you can do. I wouldn't really be concerned about what a Crossfit "Olympic lifter" thought. They're probably too busy staring at their shirtless self in the mirror to notice.

UnrealMachine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 04:08 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:

Anyone have any advice?
The Spartan Race first level event is also a 5k called the Spartan Sprint. This one has 15 obstacles included I believe.

http://www.spartanrace.com/index.html
Above is the link to the Spartan Race website. They have helpful FAQs.

Axman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 09:14 AM
ZapRowsdower13
Ticklish Tummy Tumx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealMachine View Post
Just do cleans and don't do the jerk. Cleans are the much more useful portion of the lift anyway. You can do full clean, power clean, hang clean, etc. Ever see an Olympic lifting accident? You don't want to. Just do what you can do. I wouldn't really be concerned about what a Crossfit "Olympic lifter" thought. They're probably too busy staring at their shirtless self in the mirror to notice.
Thanks Mr. Perfect! ha ha. Really do appreciate the help but its the avi, how can you NOT respond that way? I'll probably just stick the suggested cleans you gave, especially power and hang.

In other news I did Tough Mudder, second time, on Saturday. Had a great time, felt I was in pretty good shape for it. I was doing the circut training listed on the mudder website. Would mix that up with just running to get in better than my usual cardio shape. A pretty muddy course, which is expected and plenty of hills, kinda shocked bc it was in Belmont, Ohio but then again it was on a place thats normally reserved for 4 wheeling with trucks and ATVs. Got shocked pretty good on the final obstacle but since I was able to completly avoid it last year I guess I was due for it.

Old
09-02-2013, 12:42 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

My ankle has been a bit cranky as of late; I was assuming it was due to a long beer league hockey season. I even skipped the championship game though our team made it in. I've been trying to stay off it and hoping it wasn't a stress fracture or something of that sort. A 3 mile outside run up and down hilly terrain with no ill effects so far today is a good sign. That's encouraging.

Axman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 08:18 AM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

Been doing some hard "bulking" the last 2-3 months, first time I've ever watched my diet while bulking, made some obvious gains, haven't weighed myself the whole time until yesterday, only gained ~2 lbs.

****in rights

Old
09-03-2013, 10:25 AM
Syrinx
Heh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axman View Post
The Spartan Race first level event is also a 5k called the Spartan Sprint. This one has 15 obstacles included I believe.

http://www.spartanrace.com/index.html
Above is the link to the Spartan Race website. They have helpful FAQs.
There are a couple sprints early next year in Charlotte. I think I will enter one of those to get my feet wet.

Old
09-03-2013, 10:59 AM
ZapRowsdower13
Ticklish Tummy Tumx2

Quote:
There are a couple sprints early next year in Charlotte. I think I will enter one of those to get my feet wet.
Does the Ruckus come your way? I believe it's only 5 miles or so. A good introduction to these sorts of races. The Sprint seems like an interesting one too.

Old
09-06-2013, 03:11 PM
66-29-33

So....after losing 48 pounds in 2 months of Insanity, 2 pounds in 5 weeks on Focus T25 i've decided that i'm going back to Insanity on Monday. Hoping to lose 30 more pounds. I'm still sitting at 203, **** that! Going back to what works for me. When i did Insanity i did Month 1 even for Month 2 instead of doing Month 2 during Month 2, longer and harder workouts. I'll do the harder workouts this time. My goal is still the same, GET IN SHAPE! Hope to be atleast 170-175 by November, then in shape by Christmas. LET'S DO IT! If i'm 170 and still have a big belly on me, then i give up! Most people show their amazing results in 2 months of insanity from fat to fit, i went from fat to just less fat. I'm getting impatient because i'm not having their results....

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 03:42 PM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

48 lbs in 2 months! Holy ****

Old
09-06-2013, 04:15 PM
UnrealMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
So....after losing 48 pounds in 2 months of Insanity, 2 pounds in 5 weeks on Focus T25 i've decided that i'm going back to Insanity on Monday. Hoping to lose 30 more pounds. I'm still sitting at 203, **** that! Going back to what works for me. When i did Insanity i did Month 1 even for Month 2 instead of doing Month 2 during Month 2, longer and harder workouts. I'll do the harder workouts this time. My goal is still the same, GET IN SHAPE! Hope to be atleast 170-175 by November, then in shape by Christmas. LET'S DO IT! If i'm 170 and still have a big belly on me, then i give up! Most people show their amazing results in 2 months of insanity from fat to fit, i went from fat to just less fat. I'm getting impatient because i'm not having their results....
Have you ever considered using measuring tape around your waist instead of (or in addition to) weight to record your progress? It would better differentiate your progress in terms of fat loss and potential muscle gains.

UnrealMachine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 08:11 PM
66-29-33

Yes but I'm always about the look. I've gone from 43-37 waist, 42 inch chest, and a few more.

Old
09-07-2013, 06:24 PM
Zbynek

If Sidney Crosby takes a cheat meal every now and then, you can too

Zbynek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 01:28 AM
Honour Over Glory

I think the gym has been a part of my life since my early teens, probably 12-13yrs old. Right now, my routine is pretty much the full week. 7 days straight. I usually try to use 1 routine for 6 months then change, this is the one I started after June, I like having a more intense one later in the year just to battle the winter months when you can get the blues and you need that boost, mentally and physically.

Before I start my work out every day, I do 1hr of Cardio (medium to light intensity, I usually just do HIIT)

Monday - Chest + Tri's + Abs
Tuesday - Back + Bi's
Wednesday - Legs + Shoulders + Abs
Thursday - "Rest" But I do 1hr of cardio + Abs
Friday - Chest + Tri's + Abs (I do 4 different workouts than Monday and so forth for the Friday, Saturday and Sunday days).
Saturday - Back + Bi's
Sunday - Legs + Shoulders + Abs

I alternate days when I do 1hr of cardio about 4hrs before I go to bed, just so I don't wear myself out. For my age, a lot of people tend to think I look like I am still in my mid 20's, being healthy helps and I love it, people act like you have to sacrifice foods and your life, but not really, I am a damn happy and positive dude.

I feel kind of weird saying what my waist size is, but I am 28 waist, my shoulders are "42" if I am wearing a suit, if that helps, not that I buy off the rack (waste of time), but I have been measured before, 17" neck, etc etc.

I live by the whole my body is a temple motto, I plan to be around a long time.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 03:56 PM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

This is the routine I'm going with heading into Fall:

Monday - Arms (yeah I know an arm routine seems lame but I've spent two years developing a good foundation and now want to dedicate serious time to arm development which I hadn't done very much of at all)

Tuesday - Legs (favorite day of the week, no competition. can't wait for tomorrow already. not surprisingly - my strongest area).

Wednesday - Off

Thursday - Back (love back too)

Friday - Chest (historically my weakest, coming off of a couple months of blasting chest twice a week to make some quick strength gains, was a great idea, pushing it back to once a week again)

I generally don't do cardio if only because I find it boring to the point where I just won't do it and would rather spend that time lifting. But before I started seriously lifting I was a runner so my cardio is still decent.

Whenever I want to cut a bit I just maintain the routine and cut calories. Works like a charm.

Old
09-19-2013, 11:41 AM
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Went for a run last night, have to improve my endurance since I plan on doing tough mudder next year. I didn't run too far but it's a good start, sprinted the last 100m or so and felt really good afterwards. Hopefully I'll keep it up throughout the winter. I'd like to run a half marathon by next year, it would be a good experience.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 12:08 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensBandwagonerNo272 View Post
48 lbs in 2 months! Holy ****
Keep it up

I've lost 25 pounds in about 3 months, down to 205 which my goal was 200. Almost there but need to get a little bigger (chest and arms)

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 12:49 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
Great to hear you are sticking with it bro.

I've been doing a lot of interval training this Summer.... Hill sprints, flat sprints, etc.

Like you I just went back to Insanity a couple of weeks ago to shock my body. I am up to the max videos now, but I'm rotating them in with my sprint work. I'm doing three day cycles with one day off to let my body recover and it's been working out very well.

Day 1 Hill sprints
Day 2 Insanity max vid
Day 3 Flat sprints (8 x 1:30 w 60s recovery jog)
Day 4 rest

Also doing some body weight training with a focus on rotating pull-ups, chins ups, push-ups, tri and trap work to balance things out. My wife told me the other day my arms are getting huge again, so the routine is working. However I have along way to go to recover the strength I had before my back problems shut me down last Summer through this Spring. I'm struggling especially with my pull-ups and adding reps. Taking me a week to add a rep or two, so it's frustrating, but ego has to go in my back pocket, right?

I also played around with IF. I've tried doing several 16 hour cycles once a week and it isn't as hard as I thought. I'm just trying to decide if it is right for me or not.

I've discovered with intense three day cycles I don't make any excuses. I keep telling myself I just need to get to day three and I get a recovery day. So on days I wake up and haven't had any sleep and my body is aching, I just push through because I know the recovery day isn't far off. Also with the interval training I'm burning a ton more calories than when I just did normal cardio 5-6 days a week.

The intense three day cycle is probably the best idea I've come up with for myself personally in all the years I've been working out.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 03:26 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
Great to hear you are sticking with it bro.

I've been doing a lot of interval training this Summer.... Hill sprints, flat sprints, etc.

Like you I just went back to Insanity a couple of weeks ago to shock my body. I am up to the max videos now, but I'm rotating them in with my sprint work. I'm doing three day cycles with one day off to let my body recover and it's been working out very well.

Day 1 Hill sprints
Day 2 Insanity max vid
Day 3 Flat sprints (8 x 1:30 w 60s recovery jog)
Day 4 rest

Also doing some body weight training with a focus on rotating pull-ups, chins ups, push-ups, tri and trap work to balance things out. My wife told me the other day my arms are getting huge again, so the routine is working. However I have along way to go to recover the strength I had before my back problems shut me down last Summer through this Spring. I'm struggling especially with my pull-ups and adding reps. Taking me a week to add a rep or two, so it's frustrating, but ego has to go in my back pocket, right?

I also played around with IF. I've tried doing several 16 hour cycles once a week and it isn't as hard as I thought. I'm just trying to decide if it is right for me or not.

I've discovered with intense three day cycles I don't make any excuses. I keep telling myself I just need to get to day three and I get a recovery day. So on days I wake up and haven't had any sleep and my body is aching, I just push through because I know the recovery day isn't far off. Also with the interval training I'm burning a ton more calories than when I just did normal cardio 5-6 days a week.

The intense three day cycle is probably the best idea I've come up with for myself personally in all the years I've been working out.
Keep it up man. One guy at my work who's always trying to egg me on to lose my weight said "holy **** you look so much thinner" when i was leaving work yesterday. I need to get off my caffeine though! I want to get into Kettlebell training, those things look badass! Check out the Guerilla kettlebells at the onnit website, they go up to 72 pounds (2.5 poods). Imagine a kettlebell training with tons of cardio focus?

To you P90X lovers, P90X 3 was announced today and it's going to be 30 minutes instead of an hour.

Last edited by 66-29-33: 09-20-2013 at 03:32 PM.