HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Abby to Phoenix proposal

Old
11-21-2006, 12:05 PM
Squeaky

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muellerfan View Post
Be realistic! Abby is a backup and Morris is a top four d-man. By the way, Morris has played well.
Buh? You offered it straight up, but wouldn't do it if we tossed in Niinimaa, who you could just waive if nobody would take him off your hands for futures? If the habs were to pick up a 4 million D, Niinimaa would have to go somehow. The simplest solution would be to send him back in the trade, but I suppose they could just waive him too if they felt like it. With the habs needing some money to lock up Markov and Souray in the off season, I don't see them picking up another 4 million D who has what, 2 more years on his contract?

Is Rhino healthy soon? Looking at the two rosters, an Aebischer/Reinprecht swap seems like the most sensible. I'd probably take Comrie too, but I know he's hurt at the moment.

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 12:11 PM
mikeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Colossal overpayment for the Habs.

And Aebischer has said he wants to re-sign next year, so I'm not sure where you're getting the "he doesn't want to be here" stuff from.
How is it an overpayment precisely? We are getting rid of a proven underachiever who seems to be chronically injured in Kovalev, and a guy who has previously gone on record, stating basically play me or trade me, i.e. Abby.

In return we get a player whose stock has gone down recently, but we would not be picking up a long term contract that Kovalev has.

As for Abby... guys will say nice things to the media, but you cannot believe for one minute that Abby will be happy playing 20 to 30 games this year if Huet keeps the current pace up. I have to believe that his comment about singing here came when he was the darling at the start of the year.

We are not overpaying to get something, it's a contract dump when there might not be that many takers out there who want to pay a guy 4.25 per year for the next 2 and a half seasons. I'll take my chances with a centre like Reinprecht at 2 Mill. and the extra 2.25 in cap space it would free up.

mike

mikeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 12:19 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

I haven't read the whole topic, but you can forget about either Nagy or Doan unless you love hearing boobirds.

Remember the "Forking Frenchmen" incident? It was credited to Shane Doan. But it was Ladislav Nagy who said it. A man who played his junior hockey in Forking Quebec, I might add.

So no matter which guy you want, he'll get booed. Unless you get Doan, and he totally rats out Nagy.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 12:25 PM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
I haven't read the whole topic, but you can forget about either Nagy or Doan unless you love hearing boobirds.

Remember the "Forking Frenchmen" incident? It was credited to Shane Doan. But it was Ladislav Nagy who said it. A man who played his junior hockey in Forking Quebec, I might add.

So no matter which guy you want, he'll get booed. Unless you get Doan, and he totally rats out Nagy.
Do you have any source to say it was Nagy?

ChuckyToGally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 12:33 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

It's what the media's been saying. I don't know where they take it.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 12:38 PM
LesHabsRock

Listen folks. Abby isn't going anywhere. I'll bet anyone here Abby sticks with the Habs through the playoffs. Gainey, Carbonneau and company want 2 goaltenders who can play and push one another. That is the new NHL. I think a lot of teams are starting to realize the value of having two goaltenders who can play well. The habs won't get equal value in return for Abby. Abby is more valuable to us than anyone he could get in return.

LesHabsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 01:11 PM
GoHabsGO252006

I would not be surprised to see, Abby packaged with Ryder for Doan and possibly a mid round pick. Doan is a power forward, leader who has proven to score 20 - 30 goals per year. Ryder does not offer much more to his game than goal scoring and is struggling this year. The team has a lot of top 6 forwards and Lats play can compensate for his loss in the future. Abby is a backup and our goalie pipeline is stacked. Doan could be an important piece of the puzzle here he can also play C as he has done in the past. I believe he is out with a minor back injury now but I can see it happening. Plus his UFA (i believe) status at year end, allows BG more flexibility to either let him walk and go after someone else or bring him back.

More speed, more power more physical equal goal scoring. I would welcome Doan, he could also be a good mentor to Lats for the power game.

GoHabsGO252006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 01:18 PM
DicAnns

So you guys feel comfortable with Danis as our backup?
Then what if Huet gets injured? Danis & Price?

I'm not really high on trading Abby right now... why take risks at such an early point in the season?
The team is doing fine and we have 2 goalies performing better than most expected... isn't that a good thing?

Abby's value will be much higher in February when other contenders will need to replace their injured goalies.
At that point if Huet is healthy and playing well, then I'd consider moving Abby...

DicAnns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 01:47 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicAnn's73 View Post
So you guys feel comfortable with Danis as our backup?
Then what if Huet gets injured? Danis & Price?

I'm not really high on trading Abby right now... why take risks at such an early point in the season?
The team is doing fine and we have 2 goalies performing better than most expected... isn't that a good thing?

Abby's value will be much higher in February when other contenders will need to replace their injured goalies.
At that point if Huet is healthy and playing well, then I'd consider moving Abby...
You're forgeting Halak....

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 01:47 PM
GoHabsGO252006

I disagree, I don't think his value will get higher. His playing time will decrease and any actual contender will already have a good goalie, furthermore no "pretender" will be offering nayhting of value knowing he is UFA at season's end. I believe it's now or never.

GoHabsGO252006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 01:50 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:

People have to grow up and realise that things are said in the heat of a game. Often the person who said it does not mean it at all. If I could get Nagy here I would not give a crap about any past comments.

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 01:54 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Who, to steal a term from Pierre M, is having a monster year in the AHL.

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 01:54 PM
habsfan44

Quote:
Mueller won't be dealt. He is their future number one center. Comrie broke his toe on a shot block and should be back in a week or so. Nagy isn't available yet.
How about Morris for Abby straight up.
how about aebicher for boynton straight up ?

habsfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 01:57 PM
ShootThePuckCoyotes

Quote:

I have no idea if this is true but I have forever believed that it WASN'T Doan, it couldn't be. I do however believe that Nagy could have said it. Not because he really thinks that way, but he is a hothead. That being said, my friend spent a whole hour with Nagy at the airport a couple of months ago. They were both waiting for someone there and just chatted the whole time. He said that Nagy was a very nice kid and just kept the conversation going the whole time.

Nagy is forever saying things on the ice that gets him in trouble, it's the competitor in him.

ShootThePuckCoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 01:57 PM
Lestriker

Send a message via MSN to Lestriker
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan44 View Post
Why would the habs need another D-man?

Lestriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 01:58 PM
wheeler1*

Quote:
Done!

wheeler1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 02:08 PM
DicAnns

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Still... i'm not sure I like the idea of having a #1 goalie with 101 NHL GP and a history of injuries, then Danis with 6GP and Price & Halak with 0 GP...
Sounds like high-risk management...

DicAnns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 02:10 PM
Alberta Yote
Owns the Yotes

Quote:
Done!
I disagree.

Alberta Yote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 02:20 PM
tinyzombies

I think it will be Biron. He's been wearing a white mask, he obviously wants out.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 02:22 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
That would be awesome, but Boynton is a right D....that would entail a mix-up of our beloved defensive group.

Old
11-21-2006, 02:26 PM
habsfan44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Walter View Post
Why would the habs need another D-man?
well if you're comfortable with rivet as a top four d-man we don't need another , but i see him as more of a # 5 or 6 d-man at best and i just cringe at the thought of a souray-rivet tandem , boynton IMO would be a better fit . i don't know what the cap implications would be but boynton would surely be an upgrade over rivet imo .

habsfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 02:31 PM
LePoche69

If a Habs' goalie is trade to Phoenix, my guess is that it would be Danis. They need a backup, not a goalie who want to be a starter, and habs' management may want Halak to have all the opportunities to shine and developp in Hamilton.

Just a guess, tho.

LePoche69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 02:42 PM
Squeaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGO252006 View Post
I disagree, I don't think his value will get higher. His playing time will decrease and any actual contender will already have a good goalie, furthermore no "pretender" will be offering nayhting of value knowing he is UFA at season's end. I believe it's now or never.
Tell that to Roloson.

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 02:48 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
well if you're comfortable with rivet as a top four d-man we don't need another , but i see him as more of a # 5 or 6 d-man at best and i just cringe at the thought of a souray-rivet tandem , boynton IMO would be a better fit . i don't know what the cap implications would be but boynton would surely be an upgrade over rivet imo .
It's settled. Rivet and Aebischer to Phoenix for Boynton and Lenevue. Done.

Old
11-21-2006, 04:56 PM
m1989

Phoenix has Joe Callahan and Olivier Latendresse who could interest Montreal... It's simply a suggestion if you want to pack a deal.

?Joe Callahan?

E:It's my 19th post

Last edited by m1989: 11-21-2006 at 05:38 PM.
m1989 is offline   Reply With Quote