HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Final 23

Old
09-18-2013, 03:40 PM
"Craigs on it"

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
Is playing your vets and guys who would have to clear waivers a joke? Protect your asserts while cultivate a winning culture among your youth.
Yes it is if the young guys are ready. You are creating zero competition for roster spots on the NHL team.

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 03:45 PM
Wandering Cynic

Foligno-Hodgson-Vanek
Ennis-Grigorenko-Stafford
Ott-Larsson-Leino
Kaleta-Porter-Tropp
Scott

Ehrhoff-Myers
Pysyk-Weber
McBain-Tallinder
McNabb/Sulzer

Miller
Enroth

Wandering Cynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 04:08 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmerksPuck View Post
I'm not sure I get all the love for Larsson, he is fine but "too seasoned to not stay in the NHL"- i don't know about that.

I haven't seen anything out of him whether it be last year in Rochester, or thus far in training camp that makes me think he should be in the NHL. I think he will be in the NHL to start but I think Porter is a better player right now.
Larsson did well in the AHL last year and did a 1 game call up for Minnesota earlier, then got a second call up at the deadline but then the trade happened.

He has 2 years left on his ELC so its logical they will want to see him with the Sabres at some point this season. Many view him as a 3rd line center/winger.

in looking at their roster, Buffalo has at least one spot for the young kids (Armia, Larrson, Catenacci, Flynn, or Girgensons). for Armia its his first year over here, Catenacci-first year from OHL, girgensons--they would prefer to let him slide a year with his ELC rather than burn it this year. i see Girgensons as an injury call up this season but they keep him under the 10 games. In order for him to stay he would need to really impress. Larrson having 1 year in as the advantage. also, Buffalo needs a 3rd line center (thus keeping Ennis as a winger) who has an offense upside (Porter does not seem to have it). Larrson is just the logical favorite over Flynn.

I would not be surprised if the team opts to keep Larrson down in rochester and have him build chemistry with Girgensons and Armia

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 04:10 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

I think Porter will definitely make the team as he is waiver eligible and until their questions at center depth are answered, I just can't see exposing him (even if every other team has a Porter-like tweener). The rest of the roster guessing game(s) don't interest me.

I have no issue with as many youngsters as possible starting the season in Rochester, and playing together there.

Edit: and I have similarly shared Djp's view re: Girgs Larsson Armia

This season may be my most interested yet in the Amerks...

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 04:26 PM
Blitz
GONNA TAKE ReinHART

If I were betting...

Vanek-Hodgson-Ott
Grigorenko-Ennis-Stafford
Foligno-Larsson-Leino
Tropp-Porter-Kaleta
X: Scott

Pysyk-Ehrhoff
Tallinder-Myers
Weber-McBain/Risto
X: Risto/McBain/Sulzer

Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 04:28 PM
Kublakhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Do you seriously not think Kaleta will make the team?
lol Kaleta will be in the lineup... that is till he punches someone with that glass hand of his..

Kublakhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 04:28 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
If I were betting...

Vanek-Hodgson-Ott
Grigorenko-Ennis-Stafford
Foligno-Larsson-Leino
Tropp-Porter-Kaleta

Pysyk-Ehrhoff
Tallinder-Myers
Weber-McBain/Risto
X: Risto/McBain/Sulzer
you would bet on Grigorenko being moved to wing?

I'll take that bet

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 09:58 AM
TragicallySabres

Foligno-Hodgson-Vanek
Leino-Grigorenko-Ott
Ennis-Larsson-Stafford
Tropp-Porter-Kaleta

Ehrhoff-Pysyk
Myers-Tallinder
Weber-Ristolainen
X:McBain (until Risto's 9 games are up. I don't think they''ll keep him up past that, so McBain fills in. And I expect him to turn his game around from having a down one last year).

Miller
Enroth

TragicallySabres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 10:40 AM
Sabresfansince1980

Foligno-Hodgson-Vanek
Ott-Grigorenko-Leino
Ennis-Larsson-Stafford
Tropp-McCormick/Porter-Kaleta
Scott, Porter/McCormick

Ehrhoff-Myers
Weber/Tallinder-Pysyk
Tallinder/Weber-McBain
Sulzer

Flynn goes to Rochester because of Tropp's risk of being lost through waivers, and Larsson proving himself.

McNabb, Ruhwedel, and Ristolainen will be better off getting more minutes in Rochester. I initially thought it would be wise to keep eight D-men, but there wouldn't be enough minutes to go around, those three should get 20 mins or more and that wouldn't happen in Buf, and the extra roster spot is better used to keep center depth with McCormick or Porter.

I'd look to see Girgensons and Ristolainen as injury call-ups (up to nine games), also Flynn, McNabb, and Ruhwedel without the nine game limit. Catenacci and Adam might see time for injury, and maybe Armia if he really impresses.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 10:45 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabresfansince1980 View Post
Foligno-Hodgson-Vanek
Ott-Grigorenko-Leino
Ennis-Larsson-Stafford
Scott, Porter/McCormick

Ehrhoff-Myers
Weber/Tallinder-Pysyk
Tallinder/Weber-McBain
Sulzer
i think that's the most likely outcome... for sure.
The only difference I see, is that Ristolainen could force his way into the picture, and force Sulzer out

Old
09-19-2013, 10:48 AM
Sabresfansince1980

I think Ristolainen will still jump Sulzer when an injury forces a call-up, but only up until the nine games.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 11:08 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Quote:
I think Ristolainen will still jump Sulzer when an injury forces a call-up, but only up until the nine games.
I would be more suprised if Risto wasn't on the opening night roster at this point.

i *think* McBain will be on the opening night roster, but I believe we are gonna carry 8 d-men until Risto's 9 game period is over.

Girgensons is the real mystery piece to me. IMHO, he's NHL ready...but so is Larsson. My guess is that Girg's get first shot, simply because of his work ethic and the fact that we drafted him and Larsson is still a new guy. Porter seems to be a lock at 4th line duty.

Since I forgot Kaleta in my first post, let me revise this a bit:

Foligno-Hodgson-Vanek
Leino-Grigerenko-Ott
Ennis-Girgensons-Stafford
McCormick-Porter-Kaleta
Scott

Ehrhoff-Myers
Weber-Risto
Tallinder-Pysyk
McBain, McNabb

Miller
Enroth

If/When Risto makes it past the 9 game period, we see McBain on waivers and one of Flynn/Tropp/Larsson/Armia called up

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 11:21 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
I would be more suprised if Risto wasn't on the opening night roster at this point.

i *think* McBain will be on the opening night roster, but I believe we are gonna carry 8 d-men until Risto's 9 game period is over.

Girgensons is the real mystery piece to me. IMHO, he's NHL ready...but so is Larsson. My guess is that Girg's get first shot, simply because of his work ethic and the fact that we drafted him and Larsson is still a new guy. Porter seems to be a lock at 4th line duty.

Since I forgot Kaleta in my first post, let me revise this a bit:

Foligno-Hodgson-Vanek
Leino-Grigerenko-Ott
Ennis-Girgensons-Stafford
McCormick-Porter-Kaleta
Scott

Ehrhoff-Myers
Weber-Risto
Tallinder-Pysyk
McBain, McNabb

Miller
Enroth

If/When Risto makes it past the 9 game period, we see McBain on waivers and one of Flynn/Tropp/Larsson/Armia called up
It doesn't seem that way based on camp/preseason where Larsson is getting the work between ennis/staff. And Girgs is working with what appears will be Rochesters top line.... Larsson's also 21 with more Pro experience, where as Girgensons is 19.

There's nothing to indicate Girgenson over Larsson at this point...

What about Tropp in your lineup? You think they will try to sneak him down?

Old
09-19-2013, 11:30 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Quote:
It doesn't seem that way based on camp/preseason where Larsson is getting the work between ennis/staff. And Girgs is working with what appears will be Rochesters top line.... Larsson's also 21 with more Pro experience, where as Girgensons is 19.

There's nothing to indicate Girgenson over Larsson at this point...

What about Tropp in your lineup? You think they will try to sneak him down?
Well, my initial lineup had a more 3b for the 4th line. But with Kaleta and Scott, they may opt for a more traditional banger 4th line, which while I think Tropp could do, I think more ice time in Rochester might be better for him and maybe they want to see how his knee holds up.

You might be correct on the Larsson/Girgs thing, though, I think it's still up in the air. The org just seems so damn pleased with the Girgs pick, I have a hard time believing they'll demote him.

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 11:41 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Well, my initial lineup had a more 3b for the 4th line. But with Kaleta and Scott, they may opt for a more traditional banger 4th line, which while I think Tropp could do, I think more ice time in Rochester might be better for him and maybe they want to see how his knee holds up.

You might be correct on the Larsson/Girgs thing, though, I think it's still up in the air. The org just seems so damn pleased with the Girgs pick, I have a hard time believing they'll demote him.
I guess it's a matter of perspective.

I don't view Girgensons ultimately going to play top line in the AHL at 19 as a demotion

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 11:44 AM
Zip15

vCash: 326
I don't think there's a competition between Larsson and Girgensons. They're playing different positions right now. If they were considering Zemgus as a center option on the NHL roster, I'd imagine he'd be playing there during the preseason, and he isn't. Meanwhile, Larsson is being played exclusively at center. I think it's a pretty safe bet that Girgensons starts the year in Rochester.

I don't think they'll try to sneak Tropp back to Rochester. Hamilton seems fairly certain that Kaleta and Tropp are the wingers on the 4th line, with the center TBD (Porter? McCormick?). Porter and McCormick are the Quad-A vets that aren't likely to be claimed on their way back to the AHL. Tropp is still young, is scrappy and has some offensive ability; I think several teams would put in a claim for him.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 11:49 AM
Old Navy Goat

It seems to me that the 2/3 center position is Larsson's to lose. They're running him out there every game to get him up to speed. Girgenson hasn't even played center yet this preseason so it'd be a stretch to see him supplant Larsson at center or take the spot of one of the LW. I fully expect to see him as an injury call-up later in the season.

As for Risto, I think he's going to last longer than his 9 game tryout. Say what you want about Buffalo preferring to see his contract slide; if he forces his way on the roster and is better than Sulzer / McBain then he'll stay. I do think they'll keep 8 defensemen as they won't want to lose Sulzer or McBain to waivers

My 23:

Foligno - Hodgson - Vanek
Ennis - Larsson - Stafford
Leino - Grigs - Ott
Kaleta - Porter - Tropp
Scott

Ehrhoff - Myers
Weber - Pysyk
Tallinder - Risto
Sulzer - McBain

Old Navy Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 11:51 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
I guess it's a matter of perspective.

I don't view Girgensons ultimately going to play top line in the AHL at 19 as a demotion
same here

Old
09-19-2013, 11:57 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy Goat View Post
It seems to me that the 2/3 center position is Larsson's to lose. They're running him out there every game to get him up to speed. Girgenson hasn't even played center yet this preseason so it'd be a stretch to see him supplant Larsson at center or take the spot of one of the LW. I fully expect to see him as an injury call-up later in the season.

As for Risto, I think he's going to last longer than his 9 game tryout. Say what you want about Buffalo preferring to see his contract slide; if he forces his way on the roster and is better than Sulzer / McBain then he'll stay. I do think they'll keep 8 defensemen as they won't want to lose Sulzer or McBain to waivers

My 23:

Leino - Grigs - Ott
Kaleta - Porter - Tropp
Scott

Ehrhoff - Myers
Weber - Pysyk
Tallinder - Risto
Sulzer - McBain
McCormick over Sulzer

Sulzer adds nothing to the picture... if one of our top dogs goes down, we are going to want to get a younger guy experience, over playing a "needs to be sheltered" journeymen

McCormick brings something... even if it's only in the lockerrom, work ethic on the ice, toughness, grit, and a bit of center depth, etc...

Old
09-19-2013, 12:02 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Quote:
Foligno-Hodgson-Vanek
Ott-Grigorenko-Leino
Ennis-Larsson-Stafford
Scott, Porter/McCormick

Ehrhoff-Myers
Weber/Tallinder-Pysyk
Tallinder/Weber-McBain
Sulzer

Flynn goes to Rochester because of Tropp's risk of being lost through waivers, and Larsson proving himself.

McNabb, Ruhwedel, and Ristolainen will be better off getting more minutes in Rochester. I initially thought it would be wise to keep eight D-men, but there wouldn't be enough minutes to go around, those three should get 20 mins or more and that wouldn't happen in Buf, and the extra roster spot is better used to keep center depth with McCormick or Porter.

I'd look to see Girgensons and Ristolainen as injury call-ups (up to nine games), also Flynn, McNabb, and Ruhwedel without the nine game limit. Catenacci and Adam might see time for injury, and maybe Armia if he really impresses.
I agree with all these statements.

I disagree with Doak's view Brayden McNabb will be up.
Tallinder and Sulzer are bridges this year to enable McNabb and other youth to bond in Roch this year, then to battle for / be up in BUF next year.

I don't expect Ristolainen to get an extended look (</= 9 G) in BUF straight out the gate. Given the number of youth in ROC expected to be part of the future, I feel it important as many of them as possible play together as much as possible. I similarly see value in having both young Finns (Armia) together adapting to North American / WNY life.

Similarly, there may be added value in Tallinder helping Larsson's adjustment / 2nd year in North America.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 12:21 PM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
McCormick over Sulzer

Sulzer adds nothing to the picture... if one of our top dogs goes down, we are going to want to get a younger guy experience, over playing a "needs to be sheltered" journeymen

McCormick brings something... even if it's only in the lockerrom, work ethic on the ice, toughness, grit, and a bit of center depth, etc...
I can agree with that but at the same time I think they'll figure they can slide McCormick through waivers as he's a dime a dozen player and the Amerks could use some of that on the farm.

Old Navy Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 12:40 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Leino - Grigs - Ott
Kaleta - Porter - Flynn
Scott/Tropp

Ehrhoff - Myers
Weber - Pysyk
Tallinder - McBain
Sulzer

Miller
Enroth

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 12:45 PM
Djp

Quote:
McCormick over Sulzer

I disagree with Sulzer. In his limited playing time he has done well offensively. In Buffalo because he has a fellow german in ehrhoff he is alot more comfortable with the team than with his previous teams.

I can see them holding onto him along with Risto going through a 5 game trial. Why risk waiving him and losing him if risot has some problems to start the season?

McCormick/Porter loser will clear waivers.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 01:04 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
Leino - Grigs - Ott
Kaleta - Porter - Flynn
Scott/Tropp

Ehrhoff - Myers
Weber - Pysyk
Tallinder - McBain
Sulzer

Miller
Enroth
This looks about right to me.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 01:07 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsJimBob View Post
This looks about right to me.
Hamilton is quite certain McCormick will center the 4th line. I happen to agree with him there. Flynn gets sent down. Hamilton also doesn't think Larsson is a lock at all, but we'll see about that.

sabrefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote