HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: 11/20/06 Park The Car In Harvard Yard - Panthers Vs Bruins

Old
11-21-2006, 11:53 AM
FlaPanthers7

vCash: 500
San Jose was an "ugly" loss so I'll take this "ugly" win! We need to come out on top in these closer games or games where we don't play well for 60 minutes. That's the sign of an improving team - winning with your B game. The Panthers have been playing better as of late and getting 2 points in the standings regardless of who or how they won will help confidence.

Man, Booth was all over the ice. What a spark! I was surprised he didn't give it a go against Chara instead of Allen! Allen's play hasn't been too good lately, so at least he's willing to go after a heavyweight. I hate Chara BTW. The fact that 8 teams offered him more than 7.5 mill makes me sick!

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 11:54 AM
PantherBlood6*

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaels87 View Post
just got back from the game. wow, exciting final couple of minutes we didn't really need. auld should have had that 2nd goal but he had a nice night overall. i like booth too - his first real touch started a nice break (2 consecutive stick to stick passes through the neutral zone) the likes of which we don't see too often. and his work led to 2 power plays. weiss looked stronger tonight than on saturday. very impressive that he's still in there. he played a tough game too. should have had at least one more point but was robbed by thomas twice, as was gratton on one of the rebounds. this is our future captain (i hope).

defensively though... ugh. very disorganized. how many times did their forwards get in behind us? and what was up with that scramble leading to the first goal? two defensemen standing in front of an empty net watching the puck instead picking someone up? we are really struggling on the blue line. even jbo. mezei - wow. his giveway on an easy clear attempt led directly to that first goal. really poor game for him.

one last note - i'm surprised nobody mentioned the first line switcharoo. i was very pleased to see olli demoted and i think the weiss/gratton/gelinas line brought some energy and produced tonight. meanwhile olli was up to his old tricks with a lazy penalty after the offensive zone giveaway and then a halfhearted effort to back check on the ensuing 3 on 1 - it happened right in front of me and i watched him skate the whole way back and he was at 75% tops. if you don't think his teammates on the bench noticed that, you're kidding yourself. weak, olli, really weak. thankfully the coaches have noticed now too.
the defensive zone coverage was not bad - it was actually pretty good. once the bruins got in our zone they didnt get too many chances.

the problem (if you want to call it that) last night was the panthers played a much more open game. we werent trapping as tightly as we have been this year. that could be a plus for alot of you since many here have complained about it so much. our defenders were holding the point and our forcheck was at times overly aggressive which led to alot of odd man rushes for both sides. we had alot of good scoring chances for the same reason.

you wouldn't know it because both goalies were outstanding, but we definatley opened it up last night.

as far as olli goes - you're picking on him and for the most part, it's unjustified. i know what play you're referring to, and he had been on the ice for a while - he was tired. he shouldn't have turned the puck over like he did, but i don't think he is lacking effort at all. he's the last guy i'd accuse of lacking effort honestly. i was critical of him earlier this year and very critical of him last year before he exploded (not sure if any here will remember, but i got alot of flack for calling he and luongo out last season). right now, i think hes doing fine. he may not be scoring as consistently as we may want him to, but he isn/t jagr, he isn't thornton. he carried this team on his back last year, but its unfair to expect him to do that every game. he's a good player, but he isn't gretzky. he's not going to score 2-3 points every night. he's "on pace" for 35 goals and 75 points. not quite last years totals but close and honestly, probably what you should expect of him.

PantherBlood6* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 12:02 PM
Panthers Rock
Slumpin' Like A Soph

Send a message via AIM to Panthers Rock
I think in general, the Bruins did not play a very good game and that let the Cats stay in it and keep getting chances. We also got away with Gelinas's dive and a lucky bounce off of Mara. Auld played well enough and I am glad that Horton and Weiss continue to be major contributors to the offense.

Gelinas has often been taking dumb penalties or risks, likely due to his vet status of being so used to old NHL. Regardless, he's done it enough times that it has been or can be a liability and it frustrates me. He had a goal last night which is great, but he did just redirect it, not like he took a good shot or anything, Gratton and Weiss set that up. What he did do correctly was go to the net and be ready for something to happen but that should be expected. Not to harp on him too much, but I think it was clear that Olesz belonged on that line and PP before Gratton did, or least will when he returns.

But in all a good game, because we won and that's all that matters. My hope is they can take 3 of 4 this week, and if so we'll be well on our way out of the basement, especially since TB is just ahead of us and we get a chance to stop them ourselves.

Florida Panthers: 2014 NHL Entry Draft Lottery...Winners?
Panthers Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 12:54 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherBlood6 View Post
the defensive zone coverage was not bad - it was actually pretty good. once the bruins got in our zone they didnt get too many chances.
agreed, though we got a little scrambly at times (like the first goal in particular and the last 5 minutes in general). the PK units really disrupted the Bs efforts, giving up almost nothing. that's a good sign. feels like they've been getting better of late (actually have killed off their last 12). last night was excellent.

Quote:
the problem (if you want to call it that) last night was the panthers played a much more open game. we werent trapping as tightly as we have been this year. that could be a plus for alot of you since many here have complained about it so much. our defenders were holding the point and our forcheck was at times overly aggressive which led to alot of odd man rushes for both sides. we had alot of good scoring chances for the same reason.
maybe there's some truth to that but i watched our guys drop back into a 1-2-2 with the pivot just inside the blue line on several occasions. we had a decent forecheck at times but not nearly as good as the SJ game for instance. the dump and chase stuff really wasn't too effective. for some reason, we seemed particularly loose with our offensive and neutral zone checking, allowing room for boston to quickly generate odd man chances from any turnover. could be wrong but i'd call that sloppiness, as ee referred to. both teams were guilty though we didn't get nearly as many odd man breaks as they did.

Quote:
as far as olli goes - you're picking on him and for the most part, it's unjustified. i know what play you're referring to, and he had been on the ice for a while - he was tired. he shouldn't have turned the puck over like he did, but i don't think he is lacking effort at all. he's the last guy i'd accuse of lacking effort honestly. i was critical of him earlier this year and very critical of him last year before he exploded (not sure if any here will remember, but i got alot of flack for calling he and luongo out last season). right now, i think hes doing fine. he may not be scoring as consistently as we may want him to, but he isn/t jagr, he isn't thornton. he carried this team on his back last year, but its unfair to expect him to do that every game.
maybe i am picking on him a bit but he's wearing the C so his actions are going to be magnified. i'm actually ok with his point production right now (though he's been invisible on the road) and i don't expect much more from him in general than he's produced the past few years. my main complaint is with his effort on both ends of the ice. i just don't see the effort i expect from a captain who's trying to push the team to the next level. i don't care if he's tired or not, when the puck was turned over on that play, he had an opportunity (or it appeared, from where i was sitting) to bust his hump and even up the rush but he didn't. in a tight game, one scoring chance could be the difference. i'll lay off him for now but keep an eye on him - tell me if he's winning battles along the boards with effort, making smart decisions with the puck and being responsible on D. based on his demotion last night and reduced playing time (down 7 MPG from the WASH game a week ago), i don't think martin is terribly pleased either.

Last edited by zeroG: 11-21-2006 at 05:15 PM.
zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote