HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Toronto Media about Nolan and Isles

Old
11-20-2006, 03:52 PM
driveforfive*

vCash: 500
Toronto Media about Nolan and Isles

Notice the media in Toronto says we are Over Achieving - In other words we have no talent - we are over achieving right now.TORONTO (CP) - The New York Islanders are overachieving seven weeks into the NHL season, which is par for the course considering who's behind the bench.

Ted Nolan is up to his old tricks, maximizing what talent there is on the Islanders roster much like he did nine years ago with the blue-collar Buffalo Sabres.

"His teams are always the same, they just work real hard," Toronto Maple Leafs coach Paul Maurice said of his fellow Sault Ste. Marie, Ont., native. "He finds a way to get some guys whose names weren't on the top of everybody's lists to play hard and to develop into good players. He does a lot through emotion in getting his players to play at a very high level.

"I'm not surprised where they are," added Maurice. "You take away their start and they're one of the best teams in the NHL."

Last edited by Capt Reynolds: 11-21-2006 at 01:55 PM. Reason: No posting entire articles -- post a link and excerpt
driveforfive* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 03:56 PM
driveforfive*

Anyone starving for media attention - This is where we will get it if we can go into TO "Canada's Centre of the Universe" (so they think in Toronto), and beat them silly.

Old
11-20-2006, 03:58 PM
Killer Carlson

I have absolutely no problem with them saying that we are overachieving. Truth be told, on a talent-level, we're below many teams in the NHL. Saying that we are overachieiving only says that people are acknowledging the job that Nolan is doing with this group of players, which is fine with me. I still think that Nolan will only be able to take this group so far but that if we can acquire some more horses either during this season or during the offseason, we will be very dangerous next year, especially if some of our young talent continues to develop.

11-20-2006, 04:04 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Two things:

1 - Just me, but I wouldn't sweat the media coverage. Who cares? As a fan, the reward is not being told how great you are by fishwrap hacks and other fans, it's winning games and Cups. I sarcastically asked recently about when will the Canadian media do a "Yashin rebirth" article/segment, but frankly, I could care less if they do or don't. Don't need to look to others for approval when your team is good. And so far, this team is good.

2 - The idea (per the article) that Nolan attracted some UFAs to NYI this summer bodes well - along with the team's current success - for the future. Player rightfully are attracted to situations where they can be rewarded well ($). But they also are incented by other factors. A coach with a reputation, combined with a successful (winning) atmosphere, are two impressions that NYI did not offer prior to this season. At least one of those has changed, and hopefully the other will continue, too.

Adding: "Over-achieving", "playing to their level", etc. - I'm unsure and frankly could care less. What I do know is that the team is winning. I also know that they have been relatively impressive through sevens weeks of a season. I hope it continues and see no reason to believe otherwise. But best to keep things in perspective.

Last edited by Trottier: 11-20-2006 at 04:15 PM.
Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 04:12 PM
PlayoffBeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Carlson View Post
I have absolutely no problem with them saying that we are overachieving. Truth be told, on a talent-level, we're below many teams in the NHL. Saying that we are overachieiving only says that people are acknowledging the job that Nolan is doing with this group of players, which is fine with me. I still think that Nolan will only be able to take this group so far but that if we can acquire some more horses either during this season or during the offseason, we will be very dangerous next year, especially if some of our young talent continues to develop.
I completely agree 100% with this statement. I think this article hit the head nail on with the Islanders and Nolan. I dont think any of us expected to be 3 games over 500 right now. Especially, after the 1st road trip.

PlayoffBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 05:00 PM
mitchy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatanWorshiper View Post
I completely agree 100% with this statement. I think this article hit the head nail on with the Islanders and Nolan. I dont think any of us expected to be 3 games over 500 right now. Especially, after the 1st road trip.
Personally, I felt before the season and even right now that this team is better than what it was given credit for even on paper and Nolan was my X-factor. I expected this team to show up eventually. I expected this team to make the playoffs (fan goggles firmly in place, but still.)

I think the front office ******** clouded the fact that we did plug some holes this offseason and while they weren't plugged with the shiny pieces we all had in our dreams (myself included, though we picked up two guys I named at the deadline I wanted), they were plugged better than most offseasons we've had even if it was done in ridiculous fashion.

That said, the turnaround came faster than I thought it would considering the start of the season and maybe this team will keep it up and maybe it won't but as long as they show up I think this team does have enough talent to be a playoff team THIS YEAR though depending on how the conference finds itself it might take a bit more points than normal.

Though...the Atlantic looks ripe for the picking folks.

Ummm....more on topic, I felt the article was fair enough considering the crap written about us prior to the season we're overachieving in just about everybody's eyes...and here's to hoping our boys continue to prove all those stupid predictons wrong.

Starting with an arse whoopin' of Darcy and the girls tonight.

Mitch

Last edited by mitchy22: 11-20-2006 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Cheers Placement.
mitchy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 05:49 PM
driveforfive*

I would like to look at it as We ARE achieving as opposed to under achieving. I think that the Isles have had the talent these past few years but they have under achieved. I like that Nolan says: "It's just about learning as much as I can and there's still a lot of improvement I have to do here."
He will not stop until he sees this team as perfect. Next year will look even better as Nolan will see our needs after coaching the team this year. Despite what happens this season - I see the Islanders as a team on the rise to the elite class within 2 years. Again this is the time for Islander fans to support this team. NOLAN DOES HAVE A MAGIC WAND. This team cannot quit with him behind the bench. Nolan has never been fired because his team did poorly. He was fired because of screwing this one and that one rumors..
He is the best coach this team has had since Al. If he could push this team deep into the playoffs soon - people will have to start thinking he is one of the best coaches of all time. Of course he needs cups for that to happen
LORD NOLAN BRING US CUPS.

Old
11-20-2006, 10:40 PM
Aucoin3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Carlson View Post
I hate to do this but I'm going to disagree. I believe that after so much underachieving we are now blinded into thinking we are overachieving. Truth be told there is a lot of talent on this team that had not yet been reached.

Is Alexei Yashin overachievinig or is he finally playing to potential?
Jason Blake has been this good for 3 seasons now.
Scrappy guys like Witt, Hill, Huter, Asham and Simon are playing their normal game.

If anything we are underachieving because guys like Satan, York and Hilbert have yet to hit their potential. Hilbert is playing great but I believe he has the ability to put up points.

I just think the Islanders, Us as Fans and the rest of the Hockey World is so used to us underachieving that the Isles playing well just assumes they are overachieving.

I dont think there is even one Islander playing above and beyond their own personal potential this season.

Call me crazy.

Aucoin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 10:59 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucoin3 View Post
I hate to do this but I'm going to disagree. I believe that after so much underachieving we are now blinded into thinking we are overachieving. Truth be told there is a lot of talent on this team that had not yet been reached.

Is Alexei Yashin overachievinig or is he finally playing to potential?
Jason Blake has been this good for 3 seasons now.
Scrappy guys like Witt, Hill, Huter, Asham and Simon are playing their normal game.

If anything we are underachieving because guys like Satan, York and Hilbert have yet to hit their potential. Hilbert is playing great but I believe he has the ability to put up points.

I just think the Islanders, Us as Fans and the rest of the Hockey World is so used to us underachieving that the Isles playing well just assumes they are overachieving.

I dont think there is even one Islander playing above and beyond their own personal potential this season.

Call me crazy.
Crazy! But in all seriousness, both Nolan and Snow have supported your belief recently. One (Snow) says the Isles CAN be a top 10 team in the league (interestingly, I've heard the same from Milbury the past 3 years). The other (Nolan) claims that he still has "a lot" of work to do with this team. Encouraging and I really want to believe it. The former I can't, the latter I actually do.

Ultimately, though, their inconsistencies (collectively) will keep them from grand success.

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 12:08 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelovedIsles View Post
One (Snow) says the Isles CAN be a top 10 team in the league (interestingly, I've heard the same from Milbury the past 3 years). The other (Nolan) claims that he still has "a lot" of work to do with this team. Encouraging and I really want to believe it. The former I can't, the latter I actually do.

Ultimately, though, their inconsistencies (collectively) will keep them from grand success.
MM never brought in the 'type' of guys NYI signed this offseason, excluding Kozlov -he's a bona-fide MM player... Fans are undervaluing the PLAYER and COACH acquisitions of this offseason.

The team is still a work in progress, but the results to date are fantastic.

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 01:07 PM
DisplacedIslander
Wherever I May Roam

Can't agree with it, and can't disagree with it. When has the media in GTA ever been kind to any opponent that the Leafs face?

About us overachieving, yes but at the same time no. There's a lot of surprises so far, like the vets playing back to form, the role players doing their job well, and a stocked farm system.

What I would love to see is the article printed up should the unthinkable happen come Spring, and there's a "different" NY team atop the Atlantic standings. That'll shut them all up.

DisplacedIslander is offline   Reply With Quote