HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mika Zibanejad second line centre?

Old
09-18-2013, 10:59 AM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaxPlayer View Post
Did Corey Locke ever win any of those awards?
Maybe that's why he is playing in Europe & not the NHL. IMO Da Costa is a similar position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
One area defensively where Spezza is important is on face-offs, and he's gotten really good.
Very true, faceoffs are very important part of the game that funny enough some teams just don't spend enough time on, Ottawa used to be one of them.

Did anyone see the Sun Poll on whether Spezza should be captain. 56% wanted Spezza as Captain & 44% didn`t which isn`t exactly a slam dunk. Whether we agree or not he seems to be a bit of a polarizing player. That could change though with a great season.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 02:56 PM
WhiteLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
Weird. We have one of the 8 active career PPG players in the NHL today and some guy wants to switch him so that some unproven, potential 2nd line center might be better defensively because of the BS that behind the net writes.
You completely missed the point. Whoosh

It is my opinion that Pageau is better defensively, not behindthenet's.

Bonk brought that up with the Karlsson stuff.... If I like the Corsi and what not for Karlsson, I should like it for Spezza. I all said regarding this is that Pageau and Zibanejad are better than Spezza in that regard. I said NOTHING else regarding those stats.

One again trent, whoosh

Not only are Pageau and Zibanejad better at puck possession (some would say a is defensive strategy), but they are better at the traditional style of defense. My opinion based on watching all of them play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
MAK has always been against Spezza and every time a legitimate point is made in his favour he skirts around it.
I've responded to every post. Tell me, which point did I skirt around?

Oh wait, you can't, as usual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
However this is often seen in most topics regarding Spezza when compared to other players (Tavares, for example). The reality is that nobody will ever give Spezza his dues unless he does something ridiculous like lead this team to the cup as the captain. Even then people will claim that Spezza was carried by Karlsson or something.
I don't really think Tavares is better than Spezza. As of last season I think they are fairly similar. So, wrong as usual and pulling stuff out of butt.

WhiteLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 02:58 PM
NyQuil
Can't Play Defence

I'd trade Spezza for Tavares if only because he's younger, will likely continue to improve for awhile and is roughly comparable as a #1 centre. Also, he's less injury prone to date.

Nothing against Spezza, he's a legitimate #1 centre that some teams have gone years if not decades without. (e.g. Montreal)

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 03:09 PM
WhiteLight

Quote:
I'd trade Spezza for Tavares if only because he's younger, will likely continue to improve for awhile and is roughly comparable as a #1 centre. Also, he's less injury prone to date.

Nothing against Spezza, he's a legitimate #1 centre that some teams have gone years if not decades without. (e.g. Montreal)
Exactly. I don't disagree with anything in this post.

WhiteLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 03:06 PM
Wondercarrot
Stone, Mr.

I knew Nyquil's post from a week or two ago should have been stickied.
Great breakdown of (paraphrasing now) why Karlsson is the best defensive Dman in the league.
Its a principle that applies to Spezza as well to a lesser extent.

so Nyquil, please post it again.

Wondercarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 03:15 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Let's Win It All

I'd trade Tavares for Spezza in half a second.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 03:22 PM
NyQuil
Can't Play Defence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot View Post
I knew Nyquil's post from a week or two ago should have been stickied.
Great breakdown of (paraphrasing now) why Karlsson is the best defensive Dman in the league.
Its a principle that applies to Spezza as well to a lesser extent.

so Nyquil, please post it again.
Postin' the post there boss.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=608

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 03:45 PM
Proust

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
I'd trade Tavares for Spezza in half a second.
I'd do it in 0.4s and use the remaining 0.1s to fart gleefully.

Proust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 03:56 PM
Minister of Offence

Thanks for the nod. It is a pretty cool thing that all of a sudden hes kind of a poster boy for the emerging statistical side of the game. There was also a post made up from yost last year tracking zone exits and offensive zone entries, if you wanna look beyond defense, or perhaps, call it extreme defense as the puck is tracked even further out of harms way. I think he only tracked it for our team, but the numbers were ridiculous and it was a game where everything went right for ottawa. In one of the measures ksrlssons pair destroyed the two others.

Shortsightedness is a pretty common thing, it's no surprise that a big hit that may lead to the puck leaving the zone be valued more than the puck actually leaving the zone. Karlsson directly impacts the puck, a lot of the other guys impact the puck indirectly.

If we agree that giveaways are a hallmark of many star players for obvious reasons, and takeaways lead to a players possession of the puck, i think karlsson typically leads TA+GA...perhaps he has the puck the most. I think it's easier for a dman to do this, maybe this says something about a dmans potential role > a top forward in the possession game we see dominating the game.

What's more valuable than a player that has the puck the most, isn't that the key. Can't cause him of doing nothing with it, he came out of the gate leading the league in shots, and perhaps he even generates the most shots for his team above any other player. Bringing us to Corsi and its supposed importance.

Is there an argument to be had that he's the best player in the game? I mean if he's back to what he was last year pre injury? Crosby certainly grabs your attention more than any other player, but does he impact the 4 other skaters + the goalie the way karlsson does. It's a lost argument as soon as you leave this board, but so are a lot of things that go the other way in time.

Sorry mika. Oops

Last edited by Minister of Offence: 09-19-2013 at 04:02 PM.
Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 08:32 PM
MtRundle
Shawville Strong

Quote:
That Tippet quote is interesting- you see Yandle as being 2nd to Karlsson, I wonder who the supposed defensive defenceman that he traded was..? Michalek?

MtRundle is offline   Reply With Quote