HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What's the deal with Morgan Ellis?

Old
09-19-2013, 11:15 AM
Bitterman

vCash: 500
What's the deal with Morgan Ellis?

Barely any mention of him since camp opened. Was he hurt??

Bitterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 11:31 AM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

He was horrible last season. It's following the trend management set with Leblanc... One good practice or preseason game won't erase 1 year of sucking. If it's good for one, it's good for the other.

HiggsBozon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 11:36 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
He was horrible last season. It's following the trend management set with Leblanc... One good practice or preseason game won't erase 1 year of sucking. If it's good for one, it's good for the other.
He was not horrible last season. He just had a slow adjustment period. He's not the type of prospect who is going to just have an accentuated learning curve. You'll see some progress this season and next year will be when we start seeing signs of a great/steady bottom pairing D-man.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 11:47 AM
Blackshad

He was not horrible. He will need another year in AHL. He will be NHL material next year or the year after. Defenseman can take many years to develop. What we are seeing with Tinordi and Beaulieu is out of the normal. Its not because he will take longer to pan out that he is behind the curve.

He is in the same mold as Gorges. I saw him in the Q and he was he best Defensive D i have ever seen there (he was better than Gormley at the end of the season and during the memorial cup)

Blackshad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 11:49 AM
Captain Saku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackshad View Post
He was not horrible. He will need another year in AHL. He will be NHL material next year or the year after. Defenseman can take many years to develop. What we are seeing with Tinordi and Beaulieu is out of the normal. Its not because he will take longer to pan out that he is behind the curve.

He is in the same mold as Gorges. I saw him in the Q and he was he best Defensive D i have ever seen there (he was better than Gormley at the end of the season and during the memorial cup)
I though Ellis was an offensive Dman

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 12:26 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
He's raw enough on either side of the puck that people see potential for both - and why the 4th round was a great place to pick someone like him up. Those of us watching him in the Q would probably reach some kind of a consensus that he made more of his impact defensively, I'd say.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 12:30 PM
DaveyCaper

I watched Morgan Ellis for several years when he played here in Cape Breton. He does have offensive skills but I don't see him being a top flight offensive defenseman in the NHL. He is smart, poised and calm almost to a fault and can move the puck well so he will get some points in the NHL if he develops. The top end i see him offensively is the second PP unit.

And I agree with others, he will need several years in the AHL before he will be NHL ready.

DaveyCaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 12:36 PM
Bourdon101

I think expectations were a bit too high after the memorial cup.

Bourdon101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 12:40 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

He came in really good shape this camp.

Saw him with the other players working out on the soccer field at the Bell Complex, he stood out, he looked like an NFL linebacker. But I guess he just isn't that good.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 12:47 PM
Tyson

At the juncture it seems Dietz has passed him up on the depth chart. I still think Ellis can develop into an NHL D.

Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 01:02 PM
dreamingofdrouin*

My hope for the defense in the coming years is this

XXX - Subban
Beaulieu - Tinordi
Gorges - Emelin
Some goon

We have a kieth we need a seabrook. We have a weber...we have a lidstrom, we need a kronwall.

Perhaps tinordi will reach that level, but im trying to keep things realistic and would like somebody up there who can be looked at and said about "that is without a doubt a top line d-man".

really dont see ellis in our future unless somebody overperforms into that top spot.

dreamingofdrouin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 01:06 PM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingofdrouin View Post
We have a weber...we have a lidstrom,

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 01:37 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
He came in really good shape this camp.

Saw him with the other players working out on the soccer field at the Bell Complex, he stood out, he looked like an NFL linebacker. But I guess he just isn't that good.
In that, he was wearing a football jersey or..??? LOL Linebackers are biiigg. Doug Murray would probably be the tiniest linebacker in the NFL.

HankyZetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 02:39 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyZetts View Post
In that, he was wearing a football jersey or..??? LOL Linebackers are biiigg. Doug Murray would probably be the tiniest linebacker in the NFL.
Actually he would be an average sized NFL linebacker...

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_th...NFL_linebacker

CFL they are smaller...Emelin or Drewiske sized...

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_th...CFL_linebacker

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 02:49 PM
dreamingofdrouin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
we have a weber, we need a suter. That was the line it was supposed to be, lol not a weber and lidstrom.....and i don;t mean that subban is the player lidstrom is just that: we have a number one, now we need a solid number 2.

dreamingofdrouin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 03:48 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
He is not an offensive defenceman at all. He scored in junior solely due to his big shot but he is a below average skater with average puck skills. The NHL is littered with D-men who scored in junior but aren't remotely offensive in the NHL. His absolute upside is Craig Rivet but it is unlikely that he will reach that level. He projects to be a solid bottom pairing d-man if all goes well.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 04:06 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Not every prospect works out....

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 07:49 PM
dcyhabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
He is not an offensive defenceman at all. He scored in junior solely due to his big shot but he is a below average skater with average puck skills. The NHL is littered with D-men who scored in junior but aren't remotely offensive in the NHL. His absolute upside is Craig Rivet but it is unlikely that he will reach that level. He projects to be a solid bottom pairing d-man if all goes well.
He may have a better chance because he realizes that. He was pretty definite about being a shutdown guy and working on his defensive game in interviews last year after he put up good offensive numbers.

EDIT: two years ago not last year. Junior not Hamilton.

dcyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 08:06 PM
ArtPeur

I don't get why Dietz would be ranked higher than Ellis on the depth chart!? I didn't watch Monday's game so I can't tell if he looked great or not but, hey, Ellis didn't play at all.

ArtPeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 08:22 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtPeur View Post
I don't get why Dietz would be ranked higher than Ellis on the depth chart!? I didn't watch Monday's game so I can't tell if he looked great or not but, hey, Ellis didn't play at all.
Dietz skates a little better than Ellis and his offence is more projectable as a pro.

Old
09-19-2013, 09:19 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingofdrouin View Post
My hope for the defense in the coming years is this

XXX - Subban
Beaulieu - Tinordi
Gorges - Emelin
Some goon

We have a kieth we need a seabrook. We have a weber...we have a lidstrom, we need a kronwall.

Perhaps tinordi will reach that level, but im trying to keep things realistic and would like somebody up there who can be looked at and said about "that is without a doubt a top line d-man".

really dont see ellis in our future unless somebody overperforms into that top spot.
How about

Emelin - Subban
Beaulieu - Tinordi
Gorges - Pateryn

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 09:23 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyZetts View Post
Like he had big shoulders lol

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 09:33 PM
domdo345

Ellis isn't great with the puck. He was seen as an offensive Dman because he has a really good shot. That's about it. He won't control the puck that well so I don't think he can be use on the PP with an NHL or AHL pressure. He really needs to start working on his hands so that he has good breakouts. If he's ever in the NHL, it won't be because of his offense...(I could be wrong on that but it's my opinion)

domdo345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 10:09 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by domdo345 View Post
Ellis isn't great with the puck. He was seen as an offensive Dman because he has a really good shot. That's about it. He won't control the puck that well so I don't think he can be use on the PP with an NHL or AHL pressure. He really needs to start working on his hands so that he has good breakouts. If he's ever in the NHL, it won't be because of his offense...(I could be wrong on that but it's my opinion)
Completely agree!

Old
09-19-2013, 10:12 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtPeur View Post
Dietz is a much better skater, a much better puck handler, a much better everything. +He's younger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by domdo345 View Post
Wisniewski was once seen as someone with only a good shot too. He has the big shot, they could work with that.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote