HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Prospect Talk PART VIII

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-14-2013, 08:08 PM
  #76
Degeneration Rex
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Upstate,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 3,148
vCash: 500
September 14

Charlottetown 3, Cape Breton 2 (SO)-Leduc, even.

Degeneration Rex is offline  
Old
09-14-2013, 09:43 PM
  #77
periferal
Registered User
 
periferal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,226
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
September 14

Charlottetown 3, Cape Breton 2 (SO)-Leduc, even.


...and it begins

periferal is offline  
Old
09-15-2013, 11:46 AM
  #78
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!
 
A Pointed Stick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,685
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse View Post


Didn't kniow we drafted the God of Thunder to play D for us. Reinhart wields a mighty hammer.
Or one of the core players in ABBA...

A Pointed Stick is offline  
Old
09-16-2013, 11:45 AM
  #79
blinkman360
Back to Basics
 
blinkman360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Guido Central
Country: United States
Posts: 8,677
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
...and it begins
That's actually pretty good. An "even" for Leduc is like a +2 for anyone else.

blinkman360 is offline  
Old
09-16-2013, 06:49 PM
  #80
DarkHorse
Go Banana!
 
DarkHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,923
vCash: 500
Jets released Theoret. And that's the end of that.

DarkHorse is offline  
Old
09-18-2013, 12:51 PM
  #81
luki here
Registered User
 
luki here's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vienna
Country: Austria
Posts: 2,255
vCash: 500
Following yesterdays game in Calgary, what did you guys think of our prospects?

I was quite dissapointed with De Haan. He missed all of last season, but after hearing him being described as a camp standout i expected much more (his natural poise was totally gone i thought). Donovan had some good moments, but generally also didnt seem very comfortable. Admittedly the whole game was messy, which always makes it harder on the individual player to perform.

Poulin and Nilsson both played as expected. Poulin was out of position and compensated with some good athletic saves, while nilsson looked rusty, as was to be expected.


Last edited by luki here: 09-18-2013 at 01:11 PM.
luki here is offline  
Old
09-18-2013, 12:57 PM
  #82
scott99
Registered User
 
scott99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by luki here View Post
Following yesterdays game in Calgary, what did you guys think of our prospects?

I was quite dissapointed with De Haan. He missed all of last season, but after hearing him being described as a camp standout i expected much more (his natural poise was totally gone i thought). Donovan had some good moments, but generally also didnt seem very comfortable. Given the whole game was messy, which always makes it harder on the individual player to perform.

Poulin and Nilsson both played as expected. Poulin was out of position and compensated with some good athletic saves, while nilsson looked rusty, as was to be expected.
For the first game of the year, everyone is usually rusty. As posted in the game thread, I thought Poulin looked great in the 1st period, not great in the 2nd. Nilsson gave up 2 goals in the first 4 shots I believe, but seemed to settle in after that. And he's much better at rebound control than Poulin. Also takes up a lot of space at 6'5", but is still pretty quick and athletic.

scott99 is offline  
Old
09-18-2013, 01:01 PM
  #83
StrongIslanders90
Registered User
 
StrongIslanders90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: StrongIsland
Country: United States
Posts: 13,319
vCash: 500
so what would it take to get Halak?

StrongIslanders90 is online now  
Old
09-18-2013, 01:06 PM
  #84
scott99
Registered User
 
scott99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
so what would it take to get Halak?
Poulin+ or Nilsson+.

scott99 is offline  
Old
09-18-2013, 02:40 PM
  #85
Jester9881
Registered User
 
Jester9881's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 5,385
vCash: 500
I dunno.... I thought CdH and Donovan both looked pretty good. Actually, the only defenseman that didn't look good was Carkner. Griffin Reinhart was our best defenseman IMO.

That said, you have to keep in mind this was their first game and it was the 4th game for some of the players on Calgary... and they were home.

Jester9881 is offline  
Old
09-18-2013, 03:23 PM
  #86
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 15,691
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
For the first game of the year, everyone is usually rusty. As posted in the game thread, I thought Poulin looked great in the 1st period, not great in the 2nd. Nilsson gave up 2 goals in the first 4 shots I believe, but seemed to settle in after that. And he's much better at rebound control than Poulin. Also takes up a lot of space at 6'5", but is still pretty quick and athletic.
I think Poulin looked better....movement and positionally. Nilsson impressed me with his movement and he had the jitters early on but calmed down, much like Poulin who I always imagined throwing up on the runway earlier in his career.

I dunno....both might stick around. But I think the nod goes to Poulin this year. Reiter I think has a shot, though.....if he shows up big the next week and change. I wouldn't be surprised if the dark horse won the backup after what was said during camp about who was hustling the most.

OlTimeHockey is offline  
Old
09-19-2013, 10:32 AM
  #87
Degeneration Rex
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Upstate,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 3,148
vCash: 500
The OHL and WHL get underway tonight.
Mississauga at Niagara, Graham.
Swift Current at Regina, Burroughs.
As always, will be listening.

Degeneration Rex is offline  
Old
09-19-2013, 10:53 AM
  #88
scott99
Registered User
 
scott99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
The OHL and WHL get underway tonight.
Mississauga at Niagara, Graham.
Swift Current at Regina, Burroughs.
As always, will be listening.
Thanks Rex ! Gonna try to catch those games on Hockeystreams tonight, as well as the Islander's game.

scott99 is offline  
Old
09-19-2013, 12:41 PM
  #89
InformTheMasses
Registered User
 
InformTheMasses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,731
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
The OHL and WHL get underway tonight.
Mississauga at Niagara, Graham.
Swift Current at Regina, Burroughs.
As always, will be listening.
Can't wait. Looking forward to tonight's slate. Unfortunately I will be unable to provide any clips for a little while. I have been working on an 8" netbook (an oldie and not a goodie). My office and office PC is in millions (okay not millions) but many pieces throughout the world right now. The cost of moves and upgrades.

Like Cal Clutterbucks injury its for an undetermined amount of time but hope to be better than ever upon return, whenever that may be.

InformTheMasses is offline  
Old
09-19-2013, 12:45 PM
  #90
YashinWorksHard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Spain
Posts: 233
vCash: 500
Secondary assist for Pokka against Jokerit, the game is currently in the third period. Also had a penalty in the same period that he assisted. He is playing as a Right Defense on a second pairing. I'm reading that he is already the best D. in Kapart, so good references coming from Finland.

YashinWorksHard is offline  
Old
09-19-2013, 12:55 PM
  #91
scott99
Registered User
 
scott99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YashinWorksHard View Post
Secondary assist for Pokka against Jokerit, the game is currently in the third period. Also had a penalty in the same period that he assisted. He is playing as a Right Defense on a second pairing. I'm reading that he is already the best D. in Kapart, so good references coming from Finland.
Thanks YWH ! Pokka might be an important piece of the puzzle in the rebuild.

scott99 is offline  
Old
09-19-2013, 01:35 PM
  #92
Degeneration Rex
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Upstate,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 3,148
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
Can't wait. Looking forward to tonight's slate. Unfortunately I will be unable to provide any clips for a little while. I have been working on an 8" netbook (an oldie and not a goodie). My office and office PC is in millions (okay not millions) but many pieces throughout the world right now. The cost of moves and upgrades.

Like Cal Clutterbucks injury its for an undetermined amount of time but hope to be better than ever upon return, whenever that may be.
Looking forward to it.

Friday OHL
Plymouth, VCR at London
Erie, Pelech at Guelph


Last edited by Degeneration Rex: 09-19-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Degeneration Rex is offline  
Old
09-19-2013, 02:29 PM
  #93
WangMustGo
NYI
 
WangMustGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,788
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Thanks YWH ! Pokka might be an important piece of the puzzle in the rebuild.
I have only seen a little bit of Pokka, but every time I watch him play I come away impressed. I really think this kid is going to be a solid top 4 defenseman in a few years.

WangMustGo is offline  
Old
09-19-2013, 04:34 PM
  #94
InformTheMasses
Registered User
 
InformTheMasses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,731
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
The OHL and WHL get underway tonight.
Mississauga at Niagara, Graham.
Swift Current at Regina, Burroughs.
As always, will be listening.
One other note (non Islander) but tonight 6'2" 217 lb 15 year old defenseman Sean Day makes his debut. He was granted exceptional status and will be playing as a 15 year old. Other players that go exceptional status in the past... eventual #1 overall pick John Tavares. Also Connor McDavid who will be the number 1 overall pick in two years and Aaron Ekblad who may be the number 1 overall pick this year.

Cant wait to see what this kid has.

InformTheMasses is offline  
Old
09-19-2013, 04:53 PM
  #95
Degeneration Rex
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Upstate,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 3,148
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
One other note (non Islander) but tonight 6'2" 217 lb 15 year old defenseman Sean Day makes his debut. He was granted exceptional status and will be playing as a 15 year old. Other players that go exceptional status in the past... eventual #1 overall pick John Tavares. Also Connor McDavid who will be the number 1 overall pick in two years and Aaron Ekblad who may be the number 1 overall pick this year.

Cant wait to see what this kid has.
Right, almost forgot that Day is on Missisauga. Already listening, Niagara radio station CKTB has a two hour pre game show that started at 5. Tomorrow should also be interesting with Erie who added Dylan Strome and Andre Burakovsky to McDavid and Pelech.

Degeneration Rex is offline  
Old
09-19-2013, 05:21 PM
  #96
InformTheMasses
Registered User
 
InformTheMasses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,731
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
Right, almost forgot that Day is on Missisauga. Already listening, Niagara radio station CKTB has a two hour pre game show that started at 5. Tomorrow should also be interesting with Erie who added Dylan Strome and Andre Burakovsky to McDavid and Pelech.
Erie will be scary good. McDavid will be the best player in the OHL as a 16 year old. McDavid and Strome may be batter than MacKinnon and Druoin in 2 years (their draft year). Still not sold on their goaltending ina few pre-season games I watched, still looks shaky back there. If a goalie develops LOOK OUT

InformTheMasses is offline  
Old
09-19-2013, 08:01 PM
  #97
Degeneration Rex
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Upstate,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 3,148
vCash: 500
After released from his try out with the Jets, Mitch Theoret is back with Barrie as an over age player.

Degeneration Rex is offline  
Old
09-19-2013, 08:51 PM
  #98
Degeneration Rex
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Upstate,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 3,148
vCash: 500
September 19
Mississauga 6, Niagara 5 (OT)-Graham, 1 goal (1), -1.
Swift Current 7, Regina 2-Burroughs, -2.


Last edited by Degeneration Rex: 09-19-2013 at 11:09 PM.
Degeneration Rex is offline  
Old
09-19-2013, 08:53 PM
  #99
InformTheMasses
Registered User
 
InformTheMasses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,731
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
After released from his try out with the Jets, Mitch Theoret is back with Barrie as an over age player.
Goal and an Assist so far tonight.

InformTheMasses is offline  
Old
09-19-2013, 08:54 PM
  #100
InformTheMasses
Registered User
 
InformTheMasses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,731
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
September 19
Mississauga 6, Niagara 5 (OT)-Graham, 1 goal (1), -1.
Swift Current at Regina still to come.
Nice goal, 1 minute into the game. Joined the rush on the left wing to make it a 3 on 2. Let a wrister go from just inside the top of the face-off circle, roofed it.

InformTheMasses is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:22 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.