HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: Flyers vs Pens

Old
11-21-2006, 06:14 AM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodu View Post
Calder, Forsberg and Knuble, at trade deadline, get what we can, rebuild our ill team
Stevens MUST figure out how to get Calder going... he's a GOOD player and someone i would like to have on this team going forward. however, if he doesn't start scoring and we keep giving him no ice time, he's going to have zero future here... which would suck.

very frustrated with him.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 06:51 AM
Nordic*

Trade Forsberg NOW, and start rebuilding this pieceofcrap team.

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 07:27 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Stevens MUST figure out how to get Calder going... he's a GOOD player and someone i would like to have on this team going forward. however, if he doesn't start scoring and we keep giving him no ice time, he's going to have zero future here... which would suck.

very frustrated with him.
Hitchcock couldn't get Calder going...

Stevens couldn't get Calder going...

Maybe that's not a problem for the coach...

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 07:28 AM
dedhed

Trading Forsberg will be harder than many think. First of all he has a NTC that he'll have to waive,second is his health status concerning his ankles,third is his age.Not too many teams will want to trade away decent young players for a player Peters age.The Flyers are "stuck" with Forsberg at this time,a trade may come later in the season,but the team needs to move him now.

dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 07:42 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwilgus View Post
The Flyers are "stuck" with Forsberg at this time,a trade may come later in the season,but the team needs to move him now.
Barring injury, his value can only rise. At the deadline there will be some team out there who feel they are on the cusp but who have a powerplay ranked 20th in the league who will be willing to part with a good solid prospect kid for Forsberg. Forsberg will have tired of losing every night. The flyers will deal him and get a decent return.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 08:10 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post

it's less than 20 games... there is NOTHING definitive about Calder here... yet.

Old
11-21-2006, 08:18 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
it's less than 20 games... there is NOTHING definitive about Calder here... yet.
When a guy who has 0 goals and is supposed to be a 30-goal scorer skips optional skates when he is healthy -- tells me what I need to know, and hence he was benched

Old
11-21-2006, 09:33 AM
The refs love me

Quote:
these Pens announcers love affair with Whitney is hilarious...
If it makes you feel any better, we hate them here too. I wish I had the Philly feed on Center Ice too. They make my blood boil every game. I think if Crosby would let him, Errey and Steigy would hit it...

The refs love me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 09:48 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1298
Quote:

It IS a problem FOR the coach. It isn't a problem BECAUSE OF the coach.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 10:33 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Barring injury, his value can only rise. At the deadline there will be some team out there who feel they are on the cusp but who have a powerplay ranked 20th in the league who will be willing to part with a good solid prospect kid for Forsberg. Forsberg will have tired of losing every night. The flyers will deal him and get a decent return.
I agree with this. Forsberg will only be something like a $1.5 mil. cap hit by the time of the trade deadline. Assuming that he is mostly healthy, there would be some serious bidding for his talents if he were put on the market, even as a rental for the remainder of the year. Which might be a smart move on the part of the Flyers depending on what direction they want to go. They have some nice youth so a rebuild may or may not be the direction to go. It will be interesting to see what they decide. If the Flyers believe that the problems are correctable in the offseason and that they can be true competitors next year Forsberg is going no where. I think what the Flyers decide to do with Forsberg come trade deadline time will tell you which way they decided.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 11:00 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
It IS a problem FOR the coach. It isn't a problem BECAUSE OF the coach.
There is only so much a coach can do before everyone associated with the team just turns around and tells him that he sucks.

Old
11-21-2006, 11:02 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
There is only so much a coach can do before everyone associated with the team just turns around and tells him that he sucks.
By "him" do you mean Calder in this case or the coach (Hitchcock and/or Stevens)?

Old
11-21-2006, 11:14 AM
flyersfan97

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwilgus View Post
Trading Forsberg will be harder than many think. First of all he has a NTC that he'll have to waive,second is his health status concerning his ankles,third is his age.Not too many teams will want to trade away decent young players for a player Peters age.The Flyers are "stuck" with Forsberg at this time,a trade may come later in the season,but the team needs to move him now.
I think you have that reversed, if anyone's "stuck" it's Forsberg...on this crappy team.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 11:19 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan97 View Post
I think you have that reversed, if anyone's "stuck" it's Forsberg...on this crappy team.
Bill Meltzer has a column on HockeyBuzz: To shut down Forsberg. From the column:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=3764

What the Flyers need is experienced players who can deliver, especially on the blueline, but also up front.

Given that a) it doesn't seem like Forsberg's physical problems will be solved by continuing down the current path, and b) no NHL team would give up the kind of value that should even make the Flyers entertain the thought of dealing him this year, here is what I think should happen.

The Flyers should shut Forsberg down (remember that he originally wasn't supposed to return until January, anyway) and take whatever additional steps are needed to improve his skating. That may or may not mean more surgery or at least more rehab to try to rebuild his strength and balance.

If he's able to do so, have Forsberg try to play late this season to test his foot.

Old
11-21-2006, 11:35 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
By "him" do you mean Calder in this case or the coach (Hitchcock and/or Stevens)?
Calder

Old
11-21-2006, 11:35 AM
Hemooli

Send a message via AIM to Hemooli Send a message via MSN to Hemooli
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoobFan_12 View Post
If it makes you feel any better, we hate them here too. I wish I had the Philly feed on Center Ice too. They make my blood boil every game. I think if Crosby would let him, Errey and Steigy would hit it...
Don't try to speak for the rest of us on this particular matter.

Hemooli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 12:02 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Bill Meltzer has a column on HockeyBuzz: To shut down Forsberg. From the column:

What the Flyers need is experienced players who can deliver, especially on the blueline, but also up front.

Given that a) it doesn't seem like Forsberg's physical problems will be solved by continuing down the current path, and b) no NHL team would give up the kind of value that should even make the Flyers entertain the thought of dealing him this year, here is what I think should happen.

The Flyers should shut Forsberg down (remember that he originally wasn't supposed to return until January, anyway) and take whatever additional steps are needed to improve his skating. That may or may not mean more surgery or at least more rehab to try to rebuild his strength and balance.

If he's able to do so, have Forsberg try to play late this season to test his foot.

I dont disagree with this. Shut him down for a month. If anything, he will come back and either have more value at the deadline, or best case scenario correct the problem and we resign him.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 12:40 PM
The refs love me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemooli View Post
Don't try to speak for the rest of us on this particular matter.
I stand corrected, maybe one or two people in the city of Pittsburgh like those two.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=310758

The refs love me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 02:05 PM
Hemooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoobFan_12 View Post
I stand corrected, maybe one or two people in the city of Pittsburgh like those two.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=310758
Even according to that link, most people simply think the radio broadcast is better than the television broadcast. Very few mentions were made of the TV broadcast being bad.

If you think the television broadcast is boring, I'll agree that it is less exciting than most of the others out there.

If you think the television broadcast doesn't have particularly keen announcers, that's also your perogative.

However, if you dislike the television broadcast because it doesn't make your "blood boil every game" with blatant homerism, you are in the vast minority. Even if our broadcasters are "boring" or "bad", most Pens fans are proud of them for being one of the most (if not the most) impartial announcing crews in the league.

Old
11-21-2006, 02:10 PM
flyersfan97

You two wanna take this discussion over to your own board?

Old
11-21-2006, 02:14 PM
flyersfan97

Quote:

I can't help thinking that Peter needs/needed the second ankle to go under the knife. The Forsberg of late, is not even the same Forsberg, who when badly injured late last year, managed to practically single-handidly beat the Sabres in games 3 and 4.

As for the article, I would have no problem shutting Forsberg down for a month or whatever it takes. It's not like he's going to make the difference for us at this point. Something ain't right, and as I believe it was Mike who said yesterday, with all the technology in the world we can't get a skate that fits him properly? It's clearly not a skate issue, but rather an ankle issue.

Old
11-21-2006, 02:33 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemooli View Post
Even according to that link, most people simply think the radio broadcast is better than the television broadcast. Very few mentions were made of the TV broadcast being bad.

If you think the television broadcast is boring, I'll agree that it is less exciting than most of the others out there.

If you think the television broadcast doesn't have particularly keen announcers, that's also your perogative.

However, if you dislike the television broadcast because it doesn't make your "blood boil every game" with blatant homerism, you are in the vast minority. Even if our broadcasters are "boring" or "bad", most Pens fans are proud of them for being one of the most (if not the most) impartial announcing crews in the league.
they've sounded like idiots in every game i've watched this year (which is a few over Center Ice).

Old
11-21-2006, 02:56 PM
Hemooli

Quote:
they've sounded like idiots in every game i've watched this year (which is a few over Center Ice).
Like I said, if someone thinks they sound like idiots, that's their opinion. I'm trying to make an entirely different point.

Old
11-21-2006, 04:00 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan97 View Post
I can't help thinking that Peter needs/needed the second ankle to go under the knife. The Forsberg of late, is not even the same Forsberg, who when badly injured late last year, managed to practically single-handidly beat the Sabres in games 3 and 4.

As for the article, I would have no problem shutting Forsberg down for a month or whatever it takes. It's not like he's going to make the difference for us at this point. Something ain't right, and as I believe it was Mike who said yesterday, with all the technology in the world we can't get a skate that fits him properly? It's clearly not a skate issue, but rather an ankle issue.
I was quoted

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote