HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jakub Petruzalek

Old
11-21-2006, 04:34 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Jakub Petruzalek

http://hockeysfuture.com/prospect/jakub_petruzalek

We just aquired this player for Brad Isbister in a trade. Looks to be one of those "high risk, high reward" type late round picks like Magnus Kahnberg was for us. Highly skilled offensive player, but lacks a great deal in the defensive zone.

Also, if anybody knows a great deal about this player feel free to weigh in. He played for the Charlotte Checkers for a brief, but impressive, period of time. If anybody from the area got a chance to see him maybe they can weigh in here.

Last edited by Vagrant: 11-21-2006 at 04:47 PM.
Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 04:53 PM
Canes4me

Sorry, I just don't get this one. Why sigh Isbister to two way contract, just to trade him for Petruzalek??? Could this be a prerequisite for something else coming????????

Canes4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 05:01 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes4me View Post
Sorry, I just don't get this one. Why sigh Isbister to two way contract, just to trade him for Petruzalek??? Could this be a prerequisite for something else coming????????
I would doubt it. I think this is just another example of how classy that management is here. Isbister is obviously an NHL player, at whatever capacity, and the organization didn't feel right having him toiling in the minors if there was a chance at all that he could be trying to actually win a roster spot with any other team in the league.

Old
11-21-2006, 05:06 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Accually I like this move. Petruzalek gives us something we absolutely don't have in our system: a potential scoring winger. Mind you, he's an unbelievable long shot, but after trading Kahnberg and Vrbata we needed someone like this in our system.

We signed Isbister hoping he would work out as filler on the 3rd line until Stillman was healthy. He didn't so he became expendable. I meen it's not like we gave up anything other then a little salary for the guy and he was below at least Keith Aucoin, David Gove and Ryan Bayda on the call-up list. We get someone many years younger with solid upside and a conditional draft pick, I have absolutely no problem with that. Then again I was no fan of the Isbister signing to begin with. The guy is just flat out consistently inconsistent.

Hopefully we can develop this one unlike so many that have come before (Heerema and Zigomanis anybody?)

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 05:06 PM
daikan
(╯︵╰,)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniacforever View Post
I would doubt it. I think this is just another example of how classy that management is here. Isbister is obviously an NHL player, at whatever capacity, and the organization didn't feel right having him toiling in the minors if there was a chance at all that he could be trying to actually win a roster spot with any other team in the league.
I don't think Isbister will play on the Rangers.. anyways, he wasn't very useful to us, so I don't really mind (care?). I wonder what the condition for the 5th is. A conditional 5th was included in the deal, right?

daikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 05:08 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by daikan View Post
I don't think Isbister will play on the Rangers.. anyways, he wasn't very useful to us, so I don't really mind (care?). I wonder what the condition for the 5th is. A conditional 5th was included in the deal, right?
Probably has something to do with either NHL games played or the Rangers re-signing Isbister for their AHL team.

Old
11-21-2006, 05:21 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
The condition is probably regarding if the rights to Jakub Petruzalek are retained by us. I don't think this makes him our property, but we have his "rights". I would think they expire after this year if we select to not sign him.

I'm not sure Isbister would play on the Rangers either, but the Hurricanes traded him to a place where he'd have a better chance of actually getting to play. Carolina doesn't like to sign a UFA and then disappoint him by not playing him. They probably went to him and asked him if he wanted another shot somewhere, considering he wasn't a liability to Albany and we really gain nothing in the immediate out of this one.

Old
11-21-2006, 05:27 PM
bleedgreen

a guy who wasnt ever going to play for us, for a guy who likely isnt going to play for us either, but has more years to try. isbister likely pulled in more cash than the kid (at the ahl level), so it saves us a buck or two as well. if we have a rash of injuries up fron we may regret this, if the rangers give him a chance and he makes the most of it - i would question the judgement of not giving him a shot here, but mostly i dont think this will ever amount to much of anything.

as a side note, looking at the rangers prospect list vs ours is embarrasing. they have a top 20, then like 20 other guys who didnt make the list. we have a list of 17, most of which are longshots, then a handful of guys who should quit if they couldnt bust into our top 17. our list of 17 includes three who shouldnt be on it anymore (babs, wards, and ladd)....and FIVE...count em FIVE guys from this years draft. it wasnt THAT good a year. some of the other prospects are minor leaguers like estrad and bellisimo. dwyer. guys we know arent true prospects. guys who would be heroes to make it to chad larose status. on a positive note, at least jamie hoffman, who gave up hockey to play baseball basically the day we drafted him, isnt being included on our prospect list anymore. for those of us who thought we were out of the woods inthe prospect department, i got some bad news. our prospects are almost all playing already, and the loss of jj basically plummets our list to the 25-30 range.

another positive is jamie mcbain looks good for the badgers. bad news is because of our depth issues both he and hughes are likely already in our top 5.

bleedgreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 05:33 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Agreed. Our prospect depth pool is TERRIBLE. But man was that Cup ever shiny last year. I know that's not the only reason we're bare, but you have to consider that NYR went into a full rebuild and still are to some extent. Signed most of their draft picks too. We've let guys like Aaron Dawson, Matej Trojovsky, Jesse Lane, Rob Zepp, Shay Stephenson, Ryan Rorabeck, Ondrej Otcenas, and Tomas Kurka walk. We simply didn't have the money to keep them around to see if they would develop, so we cut them loose. As we know, money isn't a problem in the NYR organization. They have the liberty of holding onto marginal prospects in hope that they turn into something great.

Old
11-21-2006, 05:35 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
a guy who wasnt ever going to play for us, for a guy who likely isnt going to play for us either, but has more years to try. isbister likely pulled in more cash than the kid (at the ahl level), so it saves us a buck or two as well. if we have a rash of injuries up fron we may regret this, if the rangers give him a chance and he makes the most of it - i would question the judgement of not giving him a shot here, but mostly i dont think this will ever amount to much of anything.

as a side note, looking at the rangers prospect list vs ours is embarrasing. they have a top 20, then like 20 other guys who didnt make the list. we have a list of 17, most of which are longshots, then a handful of guys who should quit if they couldnt bust into our top 17. our list of 17 includes three who shouldnt be on it anymore (babs, wards, and ladd)....and FIVE...count em FIVE guys from this years draft. it wasnt THAT good a year. some of the other prospects are minor leaguers like estrad and bellisimo. dwyer. guys we know arent true prospects. guys who would be heroes to make it to chad larose status. on a positive note, at least jamie hoffman, who gave up hockey to play baseball basically the day we drafted him, isnt being included on our prospect list anymore. for those of us who thought we were out of the woods inthe prospect department, i got some bad news. our prospects are almost all playing already, and the loss of jj basically plummets our list to the 25-30 range.

another positive is jamie mcbain looks good for the badgers. bad news is because of our depth issues both he and hughes are likely already in our top 5.
well, I'm honestly not sure who could have seen the injury to Hagemo coming, but he wasn't an absolute stud prospect either. Just a good two-way defenseman prospect. But yeah, factoring out Ladd, Ward and Babchuk we're left with: Chaput, Hughes, Peters, Borer, Vojta, McBain and Carson as our NHL likely prospects at this point... big time ouch any way you slice it. I wouldn't be shocked to see us at the bottom of the prospect ranking barrel again after this season.

Old
11-21-2006, 05:35 PM
daikan
(╯︵╰,)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
Well, the core (apart from Brind'Amour and perhaps Hedican) is very young though. Williams is 25, Staal and Babchuk 22, Ladd 20, Gleason 23 and Cole 28. So they've got a few years get a respectable bunch of prospects together. But, yeah, right now it's really weak. Good thing Hughes and McBain are doing good.

Old
11-21-2006, 05:42 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Well, the core (apart from Brind'Amour and perhaps Hedican) is very young though. Williams is 25, Staal and Babchuk 22, Ladd 20, Gleason 23 and Cole 28. So they've got a few years get a respectable bunch of prospects together. But, yeah, right now it's really weak. Good thing Hughes and McBain are doing good.
I wouldn't forget the biggest piece of all. Cam Ward. I think that Justin Peters is going to be moved down the road for a scoring forward or another defenseman considering he's going to be blocked by Ward, who looks to be a really solid bet as the Hurricanes starter for the next decade. With a team that is as cost effective as we are, Nastiuk and Peters could net us a solid return from a team that is looking for some goaltending depth. Peters especially, considering he's an elite level talent.

Old
11-21-2006, 05:45 PM
daikan
(╯︵╰,)

Quote:
I wouldn't forget the biggest piece of all. Cam Ward.
Ops.

Old
11-21-2006, 06:02 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
I wouldn't forget the biggest piece of all. Cam Ward. I think that Justin Peters is going to be moved down the road for a scoring forward or another defenseman considering he's going to be blocked by Ward, who looks to be a really solid bet as the Hurricanes starter for the next decade. With a team that is as cost effective as we are, Nastiuk and Peters could net us a solid return from a team that is looking for some goaltending depth. Peters especially, considering he's an elite level talent.
i know we like him, but i havent heard all that much about him reaching that higher level status yet. with guys like nolan shaefer going through waivers for cheap, and noone biting i question the goaltending market for the young unproven types. i think peters will have to become a backup for a couple of years to show he is worth anything in a trade. i cant see jr going with 22 year old ward with a younger peters backing him up - but then again i couldnt see the canes going with 20 yr old ward as backup during the lockout season, and they were going to do it.

with nasty in the echl right now, i think we would probably over value his worth right now. he was a great junior goalie who is now trying to prove he can be a competent pro. i dont think anyone is paying to get this kid till he proves it. i think these two have minimal trade value, and will do more for us as depth players in the future.

im worried about this year, im afraid jr will trade off more youngsters (who we cant afford to give away any more of) in this chase for a repeat cup. im not convinced this team has it. we're good, and trading off more youngster in a ttempt to recreate last year will be imo a big mistake. i love gleason but he isnt putting us over the edge to cup fave - in the end jj wouldve been better. im only bringing this up because im of the opinion the only reason jj got traded was because jr wanted a dman right now, not because jj was being difficult. if all we got for jj was gleason, what are going to get for these guys? it wont be worth it unless we won the cup, and like i said, im not sure this is the year for that. i think this is the year we just let ride, and only pick up guys who come cheap.

i wouldnt be surprised to see babchuk go for an older defenseman. jr likes vets who can skate. he may not want to wait for babs to be the man he seems poised to become.

bleedgreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 06:17 PM
caldercup0

Send a message via AIM to caldercup0
Having seen Petruzalek in Hartford, I can tell you that he doesn't seem to like going into the corners to get to the puck... he'd much rather prefer that someone else did the dirty work for him, and tends to wait around for someone to feed him the puck.

caldercup0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 07:41 PM
caldercup0

Send a message via AIM to caldercup0
Also, Petruzalek wasn't under contract to the Rangers -- he was on an AHL Contract with the Hartford Wolf Pack. What I think this means is that, if Carolina wanted to develop Petruzalek in their system, they would have to sign him to an NHL deal... right?

If Carolina doesn't sign him, wouldn't he remain under contract to the Wolf Pack?

caldercup0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 07:03 AM
ratsgirl
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes4me View Post
Sorry, I just don't get this one. Why sigh Isbister to two way contract, just to trade him for Petruzalek???
http://www.dailygazette.net/Default/...&ViewMode=HTML

Quote:
"We had been trying to do something for the last few weeks," Rowe said. "We had too many veterans. [Isbister] was either going to go to Europe or be traded, so we were able to get something in return."

ratsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 08:06 AM
Canes4me

Fair enough, I did not know until this morning's paper about the dressing 5 NHL players rule in the minors to keep it as a developmental league. Thanks...

Canes4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 08:29 AM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratsgirl View Post
Does no one else find it sad that Isbister is not 6th on the depth chart among Veterans on an AHL team?

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 10:54 AM
Pothier

You'll be pleased to know Jakub was the recipient of the 2004/2005 OHL Best Hair Award.

I'll try and find his mugshot, its even better.

Pothier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2006, 10:32 PM
dukesnider

The hair is gone this year.

dukesnider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2006, 08:50 PM
semin4captain

Petruzalek had a goal and an assist in his first game with Albany tonight.

http://stats.theahl.com/stats/game-s...ame_id=1002473

semin4captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2006, 08:55 PM
ratsgirl
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahz View Post
Petruzalek had a goal and an assist in his first game with Albany tonight.

http://stats.theahl.com/stats/game-s...ame_id=1002473
He was pretty good! He even had some nice hits, which I was not expecting at all. Certainly didn't look out of place at the AHL level.

Old
11-25-2006, 09:17 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratsgirl View Post
He was pretty good! He even had some nice hits, which I was not expecting at all. Certainly didn't look out of place at the AHL level.
Whoa, that's nice to hear ratsgirl. I take it you're liking the early payoff on the Brad Isbister trade, eh?

Old
11-26-2006, 05:48 PM
ratsgirl
Rookie User

Quote:
Whoa, that's nice to hear ratsgirl. I take it you're liking the early payoff on the Brad Isbister trade, eh?
I'm certainly not complaining so far. Petruzalek assisted on Joe Barnes' first pro goal this afternoon. Albany won 5-3.
http://stats.theahl.com/stats/game-s...ame_id=1002486

Last edited by ratsgirl: 11-26-2006 at 06:02 PM.