HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Look like Plekanec is back Between Samsonov and Kovalev !

Old
11-21-2006, 05:44 PM
caper13

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGTvidz View Post
2nd line wont be better with Plekan on it.. only problem is.. the 4th was wayy better with Plekan on it.. that 2nd line is really starting to piss me off!
put them on the third line with thied line mins.maybe it will wake them up the third line is really the second anyway or should be for now.

caper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 05:48 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason allison'fans View Post
jason Allison is the answer to the second line problem
ya he wants 3 mill per year doesnt he .

forget him

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 05:58 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason allison'fans View Post
jason Allison is the answer to the second line problem
Please stop suggesting that again !

As for Plekanec with Samsonov and Kovalev, I don't care anymore. Our SECOND line is really the one with Bonk-Johnson and Perezhogin. If Gainey can have a decent offer for Samsonov or/and Kovalev, he will make a trade. I am still wandering why Carbo doesn't try Kovalev with Koivu. That's my only question.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 06:03 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roen View Post

I wonder if Plekanec can get these guys going more consistently ( is that how you spell it ? )
Well, if not, then I say we do something radical and play Kovalev at centre between Samsonov and Perezhogin. And if that should fail, then I think it's time we give Kostitsyn a call up. And if he doesn't work out, then I think it's time we try Plekanec at centre between Kovy and Sammy.

Are we going in circles through a list of 'what doesn't help the 2nd line' for a good reason, or is it down to just blind hope now? I'm a huge Kovlaev fan and I even think that the Sammy signing may turn out for the better yet, but it seems pretty obvious even to me that something needs to be done to wake them up. And that wouldn't include doing things that have already failed. I can only assume that the Sammy-Pleks-Kovy combination had ONE HELL of a training session recently and Carbo is willing to risk it again, but I don't see why things would have changed now. At least we don't have to wait long to find out.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 06:30 PM
David_99

Lats - Koivu - Kovalev (wake him up, Koivu!)
Sammy - Pleks - Ryder (Ryder can't do any worse to the line)
Perez - Bonk - Johnson (perfect line)
Begin - Murray - Dandenault (Keep Begin on the wing)

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 06:32 PM
RC51

The guy that might change thing is Latendresse.

IF and thats a big if, Say just for heaven sake, Latendresse continues his current play. That 1 point per game on the first line.
Higgins is out still for about 3 weeks more, by then we will all know if Latendresse just keeps producing. IF he does that changes a lots of things. You can't send him back to the 3rd 4th line every again.
So then what?

Put Higgins on the 1st and what do you do with Ryder?
Pleks is going to be tried again at center 2nd line for now. If it finally works then OK but again if it does not again then that try is finished.
Next come Higgins at Center 2nd line, if that goes bust then by then Gainey would have seen enough to the two Russians. Look for a trade.

I think thats the Habs game plan between now and xmass.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 06:40 PM
RC51

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
Yes BUT, what if Lapierre continues to shine?
Begin Pleks Lapierre is some 4th line!!!!!
Right now Lapierre is earning his spot with the Habs, again if Lapierre is still doing great at XMASS, Carbo will have almost no choice but to try him out.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 06:44 PM
VGTvidz

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
I'd replace Murray by Lapierre and I would try that line-up... Koivu and Kovalev worked well.. Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev didnt work out because Kovy and Zednik never passed the puck to each other

VGTvidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 08:53 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Glad to see this and if it can get Kovalev to a good enough level, this team will be good for sure. Kovalev really is the key to the Habs offense, when he gets going, it's hard to stop MTL. Also, with him, you don't really need a center as he carries the play, you just need to put a player with good complimentary skills(like Bonk for example) and it can work well. He just needs to get healthy though, it's pretty clear at this point he's not at 100%, his speed is below par and his turns are inadequate. I'm guessing his knee is bothering him still.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 09:01 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
The problem is not who's playing with Kovalev/Samsonov.. it's them two, they are the problem, the choice should be that there is no other choice but to split them up.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 09:16 PM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
Mike Ribeiro for Janna Niinimaa, eh?

It looks bad right now.

Imagine when Saku gets on his annual IR trip..

CoupeStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 09:23 PM
JV

I've watched Samsonov pretty carefully over the last 5 or 6 games and he doesn't seem to me to be floating.

Lats/Koivu/Kovalev
Samsonov/Plekanec/Ryder
Perez/Bonk/Johnson

Fourth line gets 6 minutes only.

JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 09:28 PM
zurg999

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeStanley View Post
Mike Ribeiro for Janna Niinimaa, eh?
Yes, thankfully.

Quote:
It looks bad right now.
No.

Quote:
Imagine when Saku gets on his annual IR trip..
Moronic post.

zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 09:34 PM
CoupeStanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurg999 View Post
Yes, thankfully.

No.

Moronic post.
Thank you for your insight.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like Ribs much... but right now we would need Ribeiro more than we need Niinimaa.

I don't think thats so moronic to beleive. Niinimaa is on the press box and Ribeiro have more points than any player on our struggling 2nd line.

Old
11-21-2006, 09:44 PM
zurg999

Quote:

Don't get me wrong, I don't like Ribs much... but right now we would need Ribeiro more than we need Niinimaa.

I don't think thats so moronic to beleive. Niinimaa is on the press box and Ribeiro have more points than any player on our struggling 2nd line.
Would you honestly take Mr. 'inconsistency personified' Ribeiro back on this team?

Ninimaa was a depth move that has paid benefits to date and will continue to do so down the road.

I don't see the 2nd line struggling being as much of a problem right now as some do. Kovy and Samsonov are a legitimate threat any time they are on the ice and if nothing else they will continue to draw checking pressure away from the other lines.

zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 10:03 PM
CoupeStanley

Quote:
Would you honestly take Mr. 'inconsistency personified' Ribeiro back on this team?
No, I wanted Ribeiro gone and I'm sure Gainey will adress the situation in time...

But yeah, I don't think it was a good trade then, now and never. We were exposed on the defense but right now we have a very weak center line. I pray to god that Saku stay healthy... because that would look pretty bad without him and we would be in an awful position to get a decent deal.

Old
11-21-2006, 10:36 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Yes. The second line was better with Ribeiro, and an alternative was not addressed before moving Ribeiro (or in the few months after, for that matter. We're still waiting...).

Quote:
Ninimaa was a depth move that has paid benefits to date and will continue to do so down the road.
Niinimaa's a great individual in the lockerroom. On the ice, he's not so good. Any waiver-wire player would have offered as much as Niinimaa has and cost less.

Quote:
I don't see the 2nd line struggling being as much of a problem right now as some do. Kovy and Samsonov are a legitimate threat any time they are on the ice and if nothing else they will continue to draw checking pressure away from the other lines.
I wasn't concerned about the second line that much until I started worrying about them caught on the ice against specific opponents. They've been dominated on a shiftly basis this past week. It was embarrassing for them.

I don't believe they draw pressure away from other lines so much. Opponents don't place their best defensive players on the ice versus the Kovalev line; they play their top line. Lecavalier versus Kovalev whenever TB could; Jokinen versus Kovalev whenever FLA could; Kovalchuk versus Kovalev whenever ATL could.

It was equally frustrating seeing Carbonneau toss the Kovalev line on the ice for defensive zone faceoffs.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 10:38 PM
Mike8

Quote:
No, I wanted Ribeiro gone and I'm sure Gainey will adress the situation in time...

But yeah, I don't think it was a good trade then, now and never. We were exposed on the defense but right now we have a very weak center line. I pray to god that Saku stay healthy... because that would look pretty bad without him and we would be in an awful position to get a decent deal.
Gainey and Carbonneau better hope Higgins can make the transition to C.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 10:54 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:

A good trade ? geez ! no way . Not only Ribeiro is having more points than our second liners , but he did them with only 12 minutes ( average ) of ice per game . Our first liners are all playing 18 minutes per games . Playing 33 % more time , he would be our first pointer .

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 08:07 AM
Capitano

Quote:

I don't disagree with you, but I think Ribs was traded because of his attitude more than his play.

Cap

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 08:52 AM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# View Post
A good trade ? geez ! no way . Not only Ribeiro is having more points than our second liners , but he did them with only 12 minutes ( average ) of ice per game . Our first liners are all playing 18 minutes per games . Playing 33 % more time , he would be our first pointer .
He's having more points, good for him, but let's not forget how great the Samsonov-Ribeiro-Kovalev line was in training camp!

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 08:57 AM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave View Post
Well, if not, then I say we do something radical and play Kovalev at centre between Samsonov and Perezhogin. And if that should fail, then I think it's time we give Kostitsyn a call up. And if he doesn't work out, then I think it's time we try Plekanec at centre between Kovy and Sammy.

Are we going in circles through a list of 'what doesn't help the 2nd line' for a good reason, or is it down to just blind hope now? I'm a huge Kovlaev fan and I even think that the Sammy signing may turn out for the better yet, but it seems pretty obvious even to me that something needs to be done to wake them up. And that wouldn't include doing things that have already failed. I can only assume that the Sammy-Pleks-Kovy combination had ONE HELL of a training session recently and Carbo is willing to risk it again, but I don't see why things would have changed now. At least we don't have to wait long to find out.
I wasn't much of a Pleks fan before I saw his interview on RDS yesterday. Now I'm pulling for him. I could see it in his face that he feels he should be playing better - that the team needs him to play better. Not that it matters much, but Pleks won himself one more fan here, I hope he does well with this opportunity.

Cap

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 09:22 AM
Catch-22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
You'd figure that the 4.5m$ player and the 3.5m$ player would be the players to get the .450m$ player more consistent. Not on this team...

For sure. How is it that the pressure to produce gets dumped on the player making $450K as opposed to the two guys getting paid $7.5 million?

I'm sticking to my preseason analysis; Plekanec is an excellent two way player and he has more offensive potential than he gets credit for. Too many people have written him off based on internet scouting reports and they don't have the confidence too analyze his potential with their own eyes. I'm sorry that sounds pretty hard nosed.

If this line doesn't produce, it has a little to do with Pleks and everything to do with kovalev and Samsonov. I'm tired of babying $7.5 million and personally i think it doesn't matter who you put because (again, back to the July threads) no line combo is going to reach potential with Samsonov and Kovalev on the same unit. Even if they produce, they will underachieve. Plekanec will give them one last shot together but if it doesn't work, let's just split these guys up and move on. We're 20 games into the season. My lines would look like this:

Latendresse-Koivu-Kovalev
Samsonov-Plekanec-Ryder
Perezhogin-Bonk-Johnson
Murray-Begin-Downey

Catch-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 09:23 AM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch-22 View Post
For sure. How is it that the pressure to produce gets dumped on the player making $450K as opposed to the two guys getting paid $7.5 million?

I'm sticking to my preseason analysis; Plekanec is an excellent two way player and he has more offensive potential than he gets credit for. Too many people have written him off based on internet scouting reports and they don't have the confidence too analyze his potential with their own eyes. I'm sorry that sounds pretty hard nosed.

If this line doesn't produce, it has a little to do with Pleks and everything to do with kovalev and Samsonov. I'm tired of babying $7.5 million and personally i think it doesn't matter who you put because (again, back to the July threads) no line combo is going to reach potential with Samsonov and Kovalev on the same unit. Even if they produce, they will underachieve. Plekanec will give them one last shot together but if it doesn't work, let's just split these guys up and move on. We're 20 games into the season. My lines would look like this:

Latendresse-Koivu-Kovalev
Samsonov-Plekanec-Ryder
Perezhogin-Bonk-Johnson
Murray-Begin-Downey
With Streit playing reasonably well and Bouillon back, I think you'll see Dandenault play on the 4th line with Begin and one of Murray/Downey.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 09:25 AM
Boulette Cannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
1 goal which was a empty netter in the last 8 games from kovy

2nd line center ?

Plekenec wont do any worse .

Boulette Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote