HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who should play with Couturier and Read?

View Poll Results: Who should play with Couturier and Read?
Gagne 13 11.40%
Laughton 28 24.56%
McGinn 30 26.32%
Noebels 0 0%
Raffl 28 24.56%
Straka 2 1.75%
Talbot 6 5.26%
Other 7 6.14%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Old
09-17-2013, 01:57 PM
Curufinwe

vCash: 500
Couturier is the Flyers best defensive forward and will face the toughest opposition. Akeson is not a good fit for his wing.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 02:45 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Couturier is the Flyers best defensive forward and will face the toughest opposition. Akeson is not a good fit for his wing.
I can see it shaking out a few different ways:

If Akeson makes it

HartnellI - giroux - voracek
Akeson - Vinny - Simmonds
Schenn - Coots - Read
Talbot - hall - rinaldo

If McGinn makes it

Hartnell - giroux - voracek
Schenn- Vinny - Simmonds
McGinn/Talbot- Coots - Read (Talbot closes out games)
McGinn/Talbot - hall - rinaldo

If Laughton makes it

Hartnell - giroux - voracek
Schenn - Vinny - Simmonds
Talbot - Coots - Read
Hall - Laughton - Rinaldo

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 02:47 PM
markzab

Send a message via AIM to markzab
Schenn on the 3rd line wing would be a horrible decision. We need to see what he can do in a top 6 role, now.

markzab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 02:53 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by markzab View Post
That would pretty much mean you're putting Voracek on a 3rd line. I don't like that regardless of the bumped up minutes they'd get if they rolled 3 lines evenly. Only way I could see that would be on a PP, but doubt Couts would be centering either of the PP units with G and V ahead of him.
Like I said, it doesn't make sense to start the season with that line, but at some point in the year, things are bound to get mixed up. With the performance of Akeson, Raffl, Cousins, and Laughton, one is bound to succeed in a top nine role. That means we could ice a top line and basically two second lines.

My premise is basically that Giroux and Voracek have both proven that they can anchor their own lines. Neither needs the other in order to produce. Giroux will put up PPG numbers regardless of his linemates, so I have no problem moving Voracek around to maximize our offensive assets.

Hartnell-Giroux-Akeson/Raffl
Schenn-Lecavalier-Simmonds
Voracek-Couturier-Read

Obviously neither Akeson nor Raffl are top line wingers, but Giroux doesn't need to have top line wingers in order to be productive. This would give us an extremely balanced forward group, and it would make line matching extremely difficult against the Flyers. That's three lines that can effectively score and wear down the opponents D. Depth is the Flyers biggest strength, so why not play to your strengths? No need to ice a top heavy team and give Couturier the leftovers so he can yet again be in a primarily defensive role. Give him and his line some offensive talent, and you'll see how effective they can be in a two-way role rather than a shut down role.

EDIT: In fact, I think it's counter-productive to keep Giroux and Voracek together. They both need the puck on their stick, and keeping them together means decreasing the amount of possession time each one has. Giving Couturier the leftovers (ie, Raffl, Akeson, etc.) would mean that there are no skilled puck carriers on that line and would once again essentially be condemning Couturier to a defense only role. Not very smart, imo.

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 04:01 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
See, I don't understand this line of thinking. "He's not cut out for the third line." What does that mean? In this day and age, you're rolling out four lines. The days of the traditional 2 offensive lines, one checking and one energy line are pretty much out the window. You need every line to contribute. Akeson can help add offense to the third line. Couturier and Read are good enough defensively to help cover for Akeson and maybe, just maybe, their defensive prowess rubs a bit on Akeson. It's not like he's terrible defensively.
This is what camp is for. Some guys step up. I didn't see Akeson as a potential starter, but if he beats out the competition, he will play. It's the Flyers' way - and the right way.

Being Giroux's buddy doesn't hurt him either, ask Tyler Bozak...

Seriously, with Briere gone and Vinnie added, we have more size up front, so Akeson might find a spot, or Raffl, or McGinn, or....

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 08:57 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Raffl's "Ticket" to the big leagues?

He's definitely looked pretty good out there...

Quote:
Raffl, so far, is surprising people with the ease he fits on the ice for not having played any games in North America until Monday’s exhibition. Then again, he’s older.

The 24-year-old Austrian played eight years in Europe, the past two of which for Leksands IF in the Swedish Hockey League.

He scored 24 goals and amassed 46 points last season, which caught head of pro scouting Dave Brown’s eye. The Flyers signed him to a one-year deal last May.

“What he did last year, he scored a lot of points in [the] Swedish League,” said John Paddock, the Flyers’ director of player development. “They don’t score a lot of points in that league. Big rinks, slowed down, no one forechecks. It was impressive.”

Raffl has had a number of scoring chances in two exhibition games.

“He continues last night to do in the game what he has done in practice,” Paddock said. “He likes to shoot the puck. He didn’t look out of place playing with those guys.

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...alier-simmonds

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 09:38 AM
ilovetheflyers8

I hope Raffl makes it but I think people shouldn't get too excited until he plays some regular season games.

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 09:55 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Same could be said for McGinn, he had one of the worst Corsi Rel QoC last season.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 10:13 AM
HighOFFHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
I hope Raffl makes it but I think people shouldn't get too excited until he plays some regular season games.
Honestly. I don't really get all the hype about him. He's been okay. Plays sound positionally, but is not really that good at any particular aspect of the game. I need to see more of him, but I don't think he makes this team out of camp. I see him getting top line minutes for phantoms and being a call up guy during the season.

Though he's still young and I hope he proves me wrong. I think Bill Meltzers analysis on Rafl is spot on.

HighOFFHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 12:15 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOFFHockey View Post
Honestly. I don't really get all the hype about him. He's been okay. Plays sound positionally, but is not really that good at any particular aspect of the game. I need to see more of him, but I don't think he makes this team out of camp. I see him getting top line minutes for phantoms and being a call up guy during the season.

Though he's still young and I hope he proves me wrong. I think Bill Meltzers analysis on Rafl is spot on.
Not sure I agree with this...it's not so much hype in as much as he already seems more NHL prepared than what people thought and in comparison to McGinn and Laughton. The coaching staff keep saying they like his versatility ..I think that is what has him in the lead right now over McGinn and Laughton at least. The center logjam is not helping Laughton's cause right now and he is not as versatile.

I picked McGinn but again..he also is not as versatile....I really think that is the key in getting that open roster spot at this point

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 11:55 PM
Gert B Frobe

Akeson, Cousins, McGinn all were sent to the Phantoms so I see it like this:

Hartnell Giroux Voracek
Schenn Lecavalier Simmonds
Raffl/Laughton Couturier Read
Talbot Hall Rinaldo

First- there was no way Akeson was going to make the opening night roster. He may get called up to fill a top 6 role for an injury. Cousins will get a full year in the AHL to learn how to skate - I doubt he beats out Raffl, Laughton, McGinn or Akeson for a call-up spot. McGinn will play eventually due to injuries on the bottom 6. Hall will be the 4th line center all year unless injured or horrible.

What I'm not sure of - what if Talbot or Rinaldo get hurt - can Raffl take that spot? My worry is that's when Rosehill plays a bunch... I guess if they play a gooned up team and they're all healthy then a 3rd line winger sits, Talbot plays on the 3rd and the 4th is Rosehill Hall Rinaldo.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 12:04 AM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Mason raymond would have looked very good on this 3rd line. pretty good pick up for toronto.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 02:42 AM
JayB

How about:

Hartnel G xxx
Simmonds/Read Schenn Voracek
Lecavalier Couturier Read/Simmonds

JayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 06:29 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayB View Post
How about:

Hartnel G xxx
Simmonds/Read Schenn Voracek
Lecavalier Couturier Read/Simmonds
They are already showing realistically that Lecavalier is the 2nd line center and Schenn is a winger. Almost as much as people still putting Laughton on the wing when during practice and scrimmages he has played center the whole time. Don't think they will move him.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 07:33 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
They are already showing realistically that Lecavalier is the 2nd line center and Schenn is a winger. Almost as much as people still putting Laughton on the wing when during practice and scrimmages he has played center the whole time. Don't think they will move him.
Agreed. I think Laughton is here for the rest of camp and then they send him back to Oshawa for a final OHL season. People seem to have Laughton marked for the fourth line, but he's better off playing 20 to 22 minutes a night and really working on his offensive game. Playing him on the fourth line limits him to about 10 to 12 minutes a night and doesn't allow him to finish developing his offensive game.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 01:14 PM
Robert604strom

I actually picked Vinny Lav to play with Read and my cousin Sean Couturier. And depending on whos stronger on which side of the ice i could see Vinny lav and Sean switching face-offs.
Hopefully the Flyers can make the team,to be honest wasnt really a fan before because of blood line issues(family is from New Brunswich) But since Sean was drafted its changed the habs into foes. And firstly a Canucks fan.

Robert604strom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 01:27 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Agreed. I think Laughton is here for the rest of camp and then they send him back to Oshawa for a final OHL season. People seem to have Laughton marked for the fourth line, but he's better off playing 20 to 22 minutes a night and really working on his offensive game. Playing him on the fourth line limits him to about 10 to 12 minutes a night and doesn't allow him to finish developing his offensive game.
I'm not sure they've decided. Laughton will get a couple more preseason games before decision time.

Schenn is going to be a LW for sure, otherwise why play him with Cousins vs. Toronto? Given how great he's looked, I think he could end up with G and JV, with Hartnell moving down with Vinnie and Simmonds (a line Lavy was raving about in one of the video clips).

Only Qs now are will Raffl stick, and is that the domino that pushes Talbot from 3rd to 4th line, and forces Laughton back to Jr.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 01:56 PM
BillDineen

I don't think they should be concerned about moving Laughton to wing. G, Vinny, Couturier + converted Schenn will be ahead of him in the depth chart for years as centers.

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 02:02 PM
Curufinwe

I agree. He should probably start learning to play wing as well as center if he wants a long term future in Philly.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 12:12 PM
JayB

Is there any free UFA you guys think can fill the wing in Couturier-Read line ? Or is there any easy trade targets to fill that spot ? I think we could need little more siza and gritty boardplay to that line.

JayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 12:51 PM
flyersfan28

read-couturier/laughton-laughton/couturier
move couturier and laughton one time

flyersfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 03:43 PM
duffy9748

Hope Laughton is groomed to be the 3rd line center in 2-3 years when this team is ready to compete. Lecavalier will hopefully be moved to the wing and they can roll Giroux/Couts/Laughton down the middle.

duffy9748 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 03:47 PM
Prongo
Beer

I understand people don't think this team is a serious Stanley Cup contender, but this team is ready to compete right now. Two keys, make the playoffs, and stay healthy. If you manage that, anything can happen when you get in. Health is just crucial for any team to make a run, hopefully we have a good run because last year was definitely the exact opposite of that haha.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 08:40 PM
RinaldoZac
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 1046
Rinaldo

RinaldoZac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 08:48 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayB View Post
Is there any free UFA you guys think can fill the wing in Couturier-Read line ? Or is there any easy trade targets to fill that spot ? I think we could need little more siza and gritty boardplay to that line.
1. Brendan Morrow still isn't signed

Gritty Vet, leadership, good along the boards but I am not sure what he has left.

2. Anthony Stewart will probably make SJ but if not

Big (6'3" 230), gritty, forward, not much offense

3. Asham isn't ideal or likely

I don't think Lavy thought Asham brought effort on the forecheck every night but he could create some space for Coots and Read

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote