HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pick a small player

View Poll Results: Pic a small player
Conacher 15 13.39%
Pageau 93 83.04%
Da Costa 4 3.57%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Old
09-13-2013, 08:19 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Let's Win It All

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by newerabegins View Post
I doubt he's 185
I don't. He is very strong on his skates from what I remember. He just doesn't use his body well enough cause of poor conditioning.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2013, 08:26 PM
Sensinitis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
I don't. He is very strong on his skates from what I remember. He just doesn't use his body well enough cause of poor conditioning.
5'11 185 is pretty big. Especially considering he might be closer to 5'10.

I don't think he's 185, upper body doesn't look to be big enough.

Sensinitis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2013, 08:34 PM
Berserker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Crosby, Alfredsson, Mike Richards, Duchene

Are all small right? Right? They are all same height and up to 10-15 pounds heavier, that's all. He is 185 btw.
Well they could be classified as being small if being compared to the average height/weight on an NHL player. The equation seems pretty straight forward here If player x is shorter/lighter than the average height/weight on an NHL player then player x is small. If player y is taller or heavier than the average height/weight of an NHL player then player y is big. This allows for the ability to analyze how big or how small a player is simply by determining the level of disparity between their height and weight and that of an average NHL player.

With that said, it says nothing about a players respective skill level. As the players you listed indicate, many of the elite players of the game can be classified as being smaller than the average NHL player. But then again, with the players you listed, there is a relatively minor variance between their height and weight and that of an average NHL player. It appears that utilizing a single point average to determine whether a player is small or not may be misleading. A superior option could be to utilize a range of heights and weights that we could determine as the average range of sizes for NHL players and then base our size analysis off of that. A crude estimate for size ranges could be between 5'11 and 6'1 in height and between 190 and 200 lbs in weight. Based on those ranges, the players you listed (for the most part) would no longer be classified as being "small" but rather within the normal range.

Therefore a player listed at 5'11 and 180 lbs would be at the bottom of the average range in height and 10 lbs lighter than the lightest weight of the average weight range. Therefore, if we use the above criteria, this player would be borderline small.

Berserker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2013, 11:42 PM
BonkTastic
ಠ_ಠ

It seems as though this is the place to put this...
In every thread about Small Players, people are always drawn to the Martin St.Louis comparison.

"If St.Louis can succeed, why can't (insert name of small hockey player here) be as good/ also succeed/ be an All Star"

If you want to know why St.Louis is so damned good, and has had such a great career (and especially how well he's played as he gets into his later 30's), I give you this: a picture of Martin St.Louis's legs:

(courtesy of The Sporting News)

... so I'm not saying anyone in this thread is saying that any of our small guys (Pageau, Conacher, DaCosta) can be as good as St.Louis, because it hasn't been a topic here yet, but people forget just how hard Martin St.Louis has worked to be where he is, and sometimes I don't think people realize what he has done in order to become the player that he is now. That's the difference between "Martin St.Louis: Calgary Flames Prospect Who Couldn't Make The Team Full-Time", and "Martin St.Louis: Hart Winner".

For significantly smaller players, often it's not "size + skill"... it's Size + RIDICULOUS WORK ETHIC + skill.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 12:34 AM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Let's Win It All

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
In every thread about Small Players, people are always drawn to the Martin St.Louis comparison.

"If St.Louis can succeed, why can't (insert name of small hockey player here) be as good/ also succeed/ be an All Star"

If you want to know why St.Louis is so damned good, and has had such a great career (and especially how well he's played as he gets into his later 30's), I give you this: a picture of Martin St.Louis's legs:

... so I'm not saying anyone in this thread is saying that any of our small guys (Pageau, Conacher, DaCosta) can be as good as St.Louis, because it hasn't been a topic here yet, but people forget just how hard Martin St.Louis has worked to be where he is, and sometimes I don't think people realize what he has done in order to become the player that he is now. That's the difference between "Martin St.Louis: Calgary Flames Prospect Who Couldn't Make The Team Full-Time", and "Martin St.Louis: Hart Winner".

For significantly smaller players, often it's not "size + skill"... it's Size + RIDICULOUS WORK ETHIC + skill.
Holy **** those legs are ridiculous. Wow.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 12:50 AM
Berserker*

Quote:

Here is a clip of St Louis off ice training

Berserker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 01:00 AM
Benjamin
Differently Financed

vCash: 50
St. Louis is sprinting 500 lbs. Wow. Shannon is just barely going lol

Benjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 09:07 PM
Stylizer1
Strickly Butter Baby

Not sure what Conacher does the rest of the way but pageau is the front runner for the second line imo. He just knows what to do out there.

Stylizer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 09:10 PM
Here I Pageau Again

Can I have two??

If I had to pick, I think I'd pick Pageau --- it may be just to chant Pageau, Pageau pageau...

Here I Pageau Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 09:15 PM
Back In Black
CANADA IS HOCKEY

Pick a small player

Pick a small player? No thanks, we have enough!

Back In Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 09:20 PM
Slack
Custom User Title

I expect Pageau and Conacher will both be important pieces of the team going forward. There's room for both, I'm not going to pick just one.

Slack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 11:27 PM
dennilfloss
Yes I love disco!

Quote:

Quadzilla!

dennilfloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 11:34 PM
Senscore
The Superior B-Side

Pageau has da fire.

Senscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 04:29 AM
vermette20

Pageau early Calder favourite.

vermette20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 06:01 AM
Sens Rule

Anyone old enough to really remember Doug Gilmour? Before he went crazy in Toronto? Watching Pageau and his amazing hockey sense, his relentless defence and his ridiculous work ethic, reminds me of Gilmour. Throw in more of the agitation and willingness to mix it up, evident in last night's preseason game and you have the makings of a five tool (borrowing a baseball term) player. Also the quickness he has is tremendous. People forget how late Gilmour was drafted because of his lack of size (mostly weight).

Not saying Pageau is going to be a HHOFer like Gilmour, but on the ice they are not that disimilar. Gilmour was St. Louis's 3rd line checking centre for a few seasons at the start of his career and added 50+ points.

Pageau just doesn't have off games, or even bad shifts. He isn't perfect, but he makes things happen on both ends of the ice. In that way he is like Alfredsson was his whole career.

Pageau is going to make this team out of camp and NEVER be a healthy scratch this season, IMO. His upside over the next few seasons is pretty tremendous as well. IMO.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 06:22 AM
Stylizer1
Strickly Butter Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Rule View Post
Anyone old enough to really remember Doug Gilmour? Before he went crazy in Toronto? Watching Pageau and his amazing hockey sense, his relentless defence and his ridiculous work ethic, reminds me of Gilmour. Throw in more of the agitation and willingness to mix it up, evident in last night's preseason game and you have the makings of a five tool (borrowing a baseball term) player. Also the quickness he has is tremendous. People forget how late Gilmour was drafted because of his lack of size (mostly weight).

Not saying Pageau is going to be a HHOFer like Gilmour, but on the ice they are not that disimilar. Gilmour was St. Louis's 3rd line checking centre for a few seasons at the start of his career and added 50+ points.

Pageau just doesn't have off games, or even bad shifts. He isn't perfect, but he makes things happen on both ends of the ice. In that way he is like Alfredsson was his whole career.

Pageau is going to make this team out of camp and NEVER be a healthy scratch this season, IMO. His upside over the next few seasons is pretty tremendous as well. IMO.
he will be the 2nd line winger.

Conacher is getting traded to make room for Hoffman, Stone, or Robinson.

Stylizer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 07:27 AM
Blue Dot
F0rsbergFan21

I picked Pageau.

I live in Binghamton so if Pageau gets screwed to start the year simply because his contract allows him to come down and not go through waivers, I will be spoiled those few games with the Bsens while OTT moves a guy to make space for JGP to come back up.

IMHO you don't send that message to players. If they earn it, they stay, and he has certainly earned it. I would not even mind seeing him with Spezza and Ryan time-to-time when they need a big goal or are down by two.

I thinks JGP is going to be a special player in this league. Very excited to see how his game grows.

Blue Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 07:51 AM
VVS

JGP. Though I really like Conacher.

With JOB and Kassian sitting in the press-box we have room for both of them, so luckily we don't have to make this decision yet.

VVS is offline   Reply With Quote