HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

2013-2014 Training Camp Thread (Final Impressions Time - Countdown to Opening Night)

Old
09-19-2013, 09:53 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
I am a whole lot more worried about Rinne being a last minute scratch than how the rest of the game went...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 10:41 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 500
I thought they said Rinne will be held out of some preseason games to avoid rushing him back too quickly. I don't think it's much to be concerned about yet.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 12:01 AM
sighthndlady

There's a lot of potential, but I think it's going to take a while for this team to gel. October may be kinda grim.

sighthndlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 12:03 AM
sighthndlady

When do we start sending the kids to Canada/Milwaukee? Lots of other teams have already started to strip down. Seems to me we need to be focused on the guys who are going to make the squad.

sighthndlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 01:07 AM
Top 6 Spaling

My opinion that this will be a rough year has nothing to do with our pre-season and everything to do with our roster. I fully expect to finish between 20 and 25 in the league.

Top 6 Spaling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 07:18 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I thought they said Rinne will be held out of some preseason games to avoid rushing him back too quickly. I don't think it's much to be concerned about yet.
They did, but he was slated to make his debut tonight, and at the last second it changed to Mazanec.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 07:32 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by sighthndlady View Post
When do we start sending the kids to Canada/Milwaukee? Lots of other teams have already started to strip down. Seems to me we need to be focused on the guys who are going to make the squad.
I'm going to assume today actually. It is an off day after traveling back from Florida and if you look at the camp schedule, everything from here on out is two teams instead of the three that they had before.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 07:43 AM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by sighthndlady View Post
I agree. It seems as if the preseason games from here on out should be the players who will be on the team. I find it hard to believe that they don't really know who it will be. Make a dam decision and get with the season. Enough looks, lets get our guys to gel, we always start slow.

I think Oct will be hard also. We do start slow, and Pekka is a question mark. I hope they leave Pekka out long enough to truly get 100%.

It make me crazy when we seem to always use Oct to figure out who plays where on what line........Figure it out now. We can't afford a slow start.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 07:53 AM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Anything without our opening night lineup is largely irrelevant. These preseason games, especially before we trim the roster down, are nothing more than exaggerated scrimmages in my mind.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 08:02 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
Anything without our opening night lineup is largely irrelevant. These preseason games, especially before we trim the roster down, are nothing more than exaggerated scrimmages in my mind.
Agreed. No worries from last nights game. Personally, my only concern right now (and has been) is the backup goalie situation. Rinne is coming off a bum shoulder and will probably be rusty and this Hutton guy has a lot to prove before giving me confidence in him.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 08:09 AM
Byrddog

It was reported last night that Trotz wants to focus on special teams the remainder of camp. This is no great surprise as most teams do this very thing when the roster is cut down. Should be players sent down today and we can only assume that some will hang around a few more days for a different look. While only the third preseason game it is becoming more clear that this is not a very good hockey team. Last night most of the forwards who are supposed to be the playmakers were on the ice. Against a career AHL goalie and a team that finished worse than the Preds last year. There is really no excuse for what there putting on the ice. Last season it was popular to blame the lockout and no preseason. We sure can't blame the lockout now.

Now some are going to say its too early all I can reply with is look at the teams the Preds have played so far and the lineup on those teams. While chemistry does play a major role and will be the focus before opening night we can only hope for better results. ANd while Rinne has not played a minute and the results of one game could have been changed if he were in net the same issue from last year extends into preseason. No improvement in scoring. The same players stagnant and the new signings all nearly silent. Perhaps they will all explode when the season starts......... That is doubtful, it looks to be a long and disappointing year. So this is how a cap spending team looks in Nashville well so far not impressive at all.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 08:43 AM
MrJoshua

Jesus. Can we wait until we're at least ONE game into the actual season before the doom and gloom starts?

MrJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 08:45 AM
Byrddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJoshua View Post
Jesus. Can we wait until we're at least ONE game into the actual season before the doom and gloom starts?
Ummmmm can you take a reality check and look at the real situation......... This is not a very good team for 64 million dollars.......

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 08:50 AM
AintLifeGrand

could we sign Tim Thomas , even if he is on a tryout with Florida? Seems like a no brainer

AintLifeGrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 09:00 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
Ummmmm can you take a reality check and look at the real situation......... This is not a very good team for 64 million dollars.......
They haven't even played a single game yet and you're already completely negative.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 09:00 AM
PFL615

I love coming to HF for a good laugh!!
*****ing and we are not even out of glorified scrimmages yet. Reality check... Some need to check themselves

PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 09:03 AM
NYR Viper

Hey guys, Rangers fan here. Can anyone give me a bit of a run-down on Richard Clune? Good skater? PKer? Does it look like he will be on the outside looking in?

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 09:04 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I get and agree that it's just preseason...but then again...you would kind of like to see some encouraging signs. Aside from Rinne being out last night, the roster was about 75 percent regulars...a 5-1 result is a little suspect.

Old
09-20-2013, 09:05 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
Hey guys, Rangers fan here. Can anyone give me a bit of a run-down on Richard Clune? Good skater? PKer? Does it look like he will be on the outside looking in?
They envision him as a bottom six utility player based mostly on his attitude, but he's not there yet. He's basically just an agitator at this point, and with Matt Hendricks now on the team and better at every aspect of the game, I would be surprised if Clune is still an every day player.

Old
09-20-2013, 09:06 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
They envision him as a bottom six utility player based mostly on his attitude, but he's not there yet. He's basically just an agitator at this point, and with Matt Hendricks now on the team and better at every aspect of the game, I would be surprised if Clune is still an every day player.
Does he PK or just an agitator?

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 09:08 AM
MrJoshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
How do you know? They haven't played a single game yet.

If Rinne is healthy the goal tending will be better than last year. Whoever ends up being the backup can't do worse than Mason, and a healthy Rinne is better than a hurt Rinne. That's an instant improvement right there.

The defense will be better than last year as well. Another year of experience for Josi, and for him to gel with Weber. A very highly touted Jones slotting into the second pairing with Klein and pushing one of our young talents onto the third pairing. More talent on the bottom two pairings than last year. Another year of experience for Ellis, plus a coach that excelled at being a puck-moving defender to work with him. This is a better defense than at the beginning of last season.

The offense is a coin toss. Some of the leading point guys from the last few seasons are gone (SK, Erat), but they were frankly slumping hard last year and they've been replaced by some young talent (Stalberg, Forsberg, maybe Beck). The team is bigger and stronger now than they were last season. They've added grit and toughness. They're a team built to create chaos in the offensive zone and get dirty, tough goals. And personally I'm fairly optimistic about the mix of speed, size, and grit on this team. They're going to have a lot of heart and toughness up and down the lineup and while they might not be pretty they have potential. And it's going to hurt to play against them. It's going to hurt bad.

And even if none of that was true, what's the fun in being all doom-and-gloom before the season even starts? This is freaking entertainment, man. It's supposed to be fun. If it isn't, what's the point in doing it?

Old
09-20-2013, 09:23 AM
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred

I'm sorry, but I have a diagnosed case of PPDDS (Post Predators Defeat Depression Syndrome) that can only be cured by one thing: a Preds win.

Until that happens, doom and gloom rule the day.

jwhouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 09:37 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJoshua View Post

If Rinne is healthy the goal tending will be better than last year. Whoever ends up being the backup can't do worse than Mason.
Agree with most of what you said, but the bolded...you'd be surprised.

Top 6 Spaling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 09:42 AM
Preds33

The only thing that had me thinking from last night's performance is not the Goals Against but the Goals for. They played one of the more talented offenses and Peks wasn't in so I can understand the GA but only 1 Goal for, that's what has me a little concerned but, as it has been said this is pre-season and the opening night roster wasn't playing last night, only 2/3 of it was.

Preds33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 09:44 AM
MrJoshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Agree with most of what you said, but the bolded...you'd be surprised.
OK, that was a bit of hyperbole, admitted. But Mason was pretty bad last year. That's all I meant. The backup keeper is the one position where I am really scratching my head. But I felt pretty nervous about it when they decided to use Lindback, too, and when Rinne got hurt in the first game that year Lindback came in and basically saved the season. So while I'm a little sketch on bringing in another rookie as the backup, I'm assuming the coaches know what they're doing.

Of course, they're the same coaches that brought in Mason, so...