HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Bergevin needs to reinfornce the defense a.s.a.p.

Old
09-20-2013, 09:10 AM
Nedved

vCash: 500
I don't even care if we're losing games, I want to see what the young guys can do. I want both Tinordi and Beaulieu in the line-up at sometime this year. We need to be fast in the back-end, and paired with the right players, sheltered situations, things can work.

God damn.

Nedved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 09:11 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
The whole point of being a GM is to be proactive and find solutions even when they seem difficult.

Nabbing Diaz and Emelin, two immediate NHLers, in one offseason was a stroke of genius - but hardly anybody cared because Gauthier was vegan and referred to everyone as mister.

Bergevin's idea of proactive was to sign and extend Bouillon and trade for and extend Drewiskie - two borderline NHLers - and sign Murray in August. But he wears nice suits and at least he's not that awful LAST GM we had!! Give Bergevin some time!!!

This fanbase has Stockholm Syndrome. Most expensive tickets but continuously and incessantly served the sloppiest management and coaching. Just once it would be nice to have actual visionaries at the helm instead of racist jerkwads who'd rather sign a broken down smurf than look at other options.
I'm not one of those that touted Gauthier as a failure as GM. He was rough around the edges and rubbed some the wrong way so they disliked him, bring Emelin and Diaz over as well as the Bourque trade were good moves. Kaberle one didn't work out so well but he cost next to nothing.

That being said, I don't see any options which were a huge upgrade on Murray that were available this summer. Unless Phillie was willing to move one of Coburn Meszaros or Grossman cheap, the market on defense was pretty bare. You can argue Hainsey or Whitney, but Murray though he is not as good as them, is a better fit for the Habs needs. Both of those guys are more skilled and mobile but can't come close to Murray in toughness and mean streak, two things the chorus on here was clamoring for.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 09:13 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Isn't that the point of having Emelin and developing Tinordi?

Plus a guy like Pateryn is also close and in that mold as is Gorges.
Emelin (not a great shutdown guy himself) is out until January and Tinordi is a rookie.

We don't have a shutdown guy and we need one badly. That's where we need a gap fix. We could've traded away a smaller forward to do this (as we have them in abundance) and then gone after a guy like Morrow as another stopgap for Maccarron. Or alternatively, just give a shot to a kid like Leblanc.

Instead we got more of what we already had too much of.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 09:15 AM
LePoche69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
I'm not one of those that touted Gauthier as a failure as GM. He was rough around the edges and rubbed some the wrong way so they disliked him, bring Emelin and Diaz over as well as the Bourque trade were good moves. Kaberle one didn't work out so well but he cost next to nothing.

That being said, I don't see any options which were a huge upgrade on Murray that were available this summer. Unless Phillie was willing to move one of Coburn Meszaros or Grossman cheap, the market on defense was pretty bare. You can argue Hainsey or Whitney, but Murray though he is not as good as them, is a better fit for the Habs needs. Both of those guys are more skilled and mobile but can't come close to Murray in toughness and mean streak, two things the chorus on here was clamoring for.
He's big and can hit, but I never saw that much toughness and mean streak in him. I think it is only a reputation, and he doesn't play like that since a few seasons.

LePoche69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 09:16 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Love this post!
That post was horsecrap.

Our GM went out (before the FA days had even begun) and got Briere. Nobody is asking for a magic solution and it's not a sense of 'enttitlement' to want your GM to do things that he should be doing. Our team needs a big shutdown guy on the back and bigger forwards up front. If none were available via free agency at a reasonable price then make a trade.

That's the guy's ****ing job.

Old
09-20-2013, 09:16 AM
Zathronas

Quote:
The whole point of being a GM is to be proactive and find solutions even when they seem difficult.

Nabbing Diaz and Emelin, two immediate NHLers, in one offseason was a stroke of genius - but hardly anybody cared because Gauthier was vegan and referred to everyone as mister.

Bergevin's idea of proactive was to sign and extend Bouillon and trade for and extend Drewiskie - two borderline NHLers - and sign Murray in August. But he wears nice suits and at least he's not that awful LAST GM we had!! Give Bergevin some time!!!

This fanbase has Stockholm Syndrome. Most expensive tickets but continuously and incessantly served the sloppiest management and coaching. Just once it would be nice to have actual visionaries at the helm instead of racist jerkwads who'd rather sign a broken down smurf than look at other options.
Now you're thinking like a Leafs GM which wants immediate results no matter what. Instant gratification does not work in the NHL. You have to build a contender.

I agree with you that Gauthier was much maligned as he was good finding prospect.

Emelin was not an instant nhl'er he was drafted in 2004 and started in MTL 2 years ago.

Basically you want a fast food team.

Zathronas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 09:17 AM
Dirty Danglez
Take it like a Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Trade for one. **** free agency.
exactly my point. And how does the Briere signing affect that option? You have to trade something worthwhile to get something worthwhile. The Briere signing doesn't hinder bergy from making a trade at all.

Dirty Danglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 09:19 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathronas View Post
Fair enough, so tell me who should he have gotten and how much should he had paid for him?
Ron Hainsey was developed by the Habs and signed for less than Bouillon+Drewiske, so there's one option that satisfies every one of your criteria (plus durability). All kinds of ways to deploy the mix of:

Markov - Subban
Gorges - Emelin
Hainsey - Diaz
Tinordi - Murray
---------------------
Beaulieu - Dietz/Pateryn (I guess)

Not even saying MB should have, but it's an example of a player that we know was moved, and who could have contributed at least the necessary minutes. This organization also has enough assets to make someone available for trade, if they really wanted to.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 09:23 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:

I guess you believe that the whole point of being a fan is to criticize no matter what, never be satisfied with anything regardless of the circumstances?

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 09:24 AM
Zathronas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Ron Hainsey was developed by the Habs and signed for less than Bouillon+Drewiske, so there's one option that satisfies every one of your criteria (plus durability). All kinds of ways to deploy the mix of:

Markov - Subban
Gorges - Emelin
Hainsey - Diaz
Tinordi - Murray
---------------------

Not even saying MB should have, but it's an example of a player that we know was moved, and who could have contributed at least the necessary minutes. This organization also has enough assets to make someone available for trade, if they really wanted to.
Hainsey is hardly the top 4 defensemen he was talking about. He would not be a big upgrade. I'm soo happy none of you are gm's you would run this team to the ground.

Old
09-20-2013, 09:24 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:

Markov - Subban
Gorges - Emelin
Hainsey - Diaz
Tinordi - Murray
---------------------

Really believes Markov should be on the 1st pairing?

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 09:25 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
He had all summer and didn't. He chose to extend Bouillon and Drewiskie needlessly and patch it up with Murray.

He made his bed, now we lie in it.

But keep defending this clown, "it's only been a year! Give him time!"
Man, you need help

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 09:25 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
exactly my point. And how does the Briere signing affect that option? You have to trade something worthwhile to get something worthwhile. The Briere signing doesn't hinder bergy from making a trade at all.
Cap space.

We blew it on Briere.

Old
09-20-2013, 09:27 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
I guess you believe that the whole point of being a fan is to criticize no matter what, never be satisfied with anything regardless of the circumstances?
The point of being a fan isn't to be content with "adequate", either.

Old
09-20-2013, 09:28 AM
Dirty Danglez
Take it like a Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Cap space.

We blew it on Briere.
. I don't think you are getting it. The cap space that Briere took doesn't hamper the canadiens abilities to make a trade for a top 4 big stay at home D. In order to get one of those guys, you have to give something (that has a salary) in return. Unless your in the business of trading valuable futures for a fix.

Dirty Danglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 09:29 AM
MXD

I m not sure how Whitney addresses the need for a Top-4 D-men.

This said, like I said so many times, Hammer has never been replaced. That is a source of concern, perhaps the biggest on the team.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 09:31 AM
Zathronas

Quote:
The point of being a fan isn't to be content with "adequate", either.
So for you Hainsey would push us from adequate to contender?

Old
09-20-2013, 09:31 AM
hersky77

I love it, all of you guys were whining, when Marc re-signed Drewiske and Bouillon and signed Murray. But now that three of them are hurt, we have to reinforce the D because of injuries. He signed a plethora of D-men for this exact reason. Also murray and Bouillon are day to day so its not like they are out for weeks.

Im very happy some of you are not the gm of this team, because some of you clearly have no idea what is going on.

hersky77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 09:32 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Hainsey is hardly the top 4 defensemen he was talking about. He would not be a big upgrade. I'm soo happy none of you are gm's you would run this team to the ground.
Really? 6'3", plays over 20 mins/night, mainly in a "shutdown" role, used to be known for a bit of puck skill as well, and was developed by the Habs. That seems to cross off a lot of items on everyone's checklists for just $2 million.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Really believes Markov should be on the 1st pairing?
He's the most talented guy on the left side, but it would seem as though you never even read the "all kinds of ways to deploy the mix of..." part before replying to my post. This board could put together a cracking selective speed reading special olympics team.

Old
09-20-2013, 09:33 AM
hersky77

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
I m not sure how Whitney addresses the need for a Top-4 D-men.

This said, like I said so many times, Hammer has never been replaced. That is a source of concern, perhaps the biggest on the team.
Yes he has by Emelin, and it was pretty evident that he was the glue to this d-core before he went down with his injury, just like hammer was the glue when he was on the team. When emelin gets back on the ice, our d corps will be top ten in the league.

hersky77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 09:34 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
So for you Hainsey would push us from adequate to contender?
I don't live in a world where one skater (not named Crosby) plays enough minutes to make that kind of difference by himself. And I won't have a mental break down if I can't neatly sort that kind of uselessly subjective ranking/comparison in my brain, either.

Old
09-20-2013, 09:34 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Our defense isn't even that bad, give Tinordi some minutes now and he'll prove he's an NHL defenseman.

Gorges - Subban
Markov - Tinordi
Murray - Diaz

Also there is a chance Emelin might be back near the end of November, our D isn't as bad as people make it seem.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 09:36 AM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
We've got like 20 freakin defenseman and you want to add more?

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 09:44 AM
SouthernHab

The problem isn't Bergevin.

Look at our draft picks for DMen over the last several years. Next look at Ottawa's draft history for DMen during the same period. There is your problem.

Our previous management believed that larger DMen are not a target for the draft (except Tinordi).

Gainey/Gauthier put us in this position. Bergevin is trying with the addition of Murray (who is vilified by a lot of people here even before the season starts)

The Gauthier era hurt this team a lot.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 09:45 AM
Zathronas

Quote:
Really? 6'3", plays over 20 mins/night, mainly in a "shutdown" role, used to be known for a bit of puck skill as well, and was developed by the Habs. That seems to cross off a lot of items on everyone's checklists for just $2 million.
the last 2 years he's played around 20 minutes in Winnipeg to a team that was one of the worst in PK and goal against. Don't get me wrong he's still good but he is not a top 4 d and would not push us in contention.

Like I said earlier we have 5 ufa's on our defence core next year. We'll become bigger, more physical and still have a core of offensive defensemen. As Price would say Chill out!