HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Oilers sign Ryan Nugent-Hopkins to extension [7 years/$6 million AAV] ‎

Old
09-20-2013, 12:15 PM
ResilientBeast
MLFH Edmonton Titans

vCash: 1170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
Why? Because of where each player was drafted in the 1st round? Draft status means ****, 1st overall picks can bust and 7th overall picks can flourish. I'm not saying that Kadri is the better player, but he did put up nearly PPG numbers as a 22 year old. Give credit where credit is due, so far Nugent-Hopkins has not been able to produce at the same level as Kadri.
Nuge posted almost ppg numbers in his first season in nhl as an 18 years. Try again

ResilientBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 12:16 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Kadri had a 0.917 PPG last season, what the hell is the point of comparing career numbers of a young player that just broke out last season?
You know the answer...one side of the debate falls down if they don't.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 12:16 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Folks... let's please keep this thread sane. No warnings happening from here on out.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 12:17 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
Kadri did it in his 22 years old season

maybe wait a couple years and see what RNH does at 22
Sure, no problem. Like I said, I'm not saying Kadri will be the better player, or have the better career. I'll repeat, give credit where credit is due. To say that Kadri is half the player that RNH is is ridiculous.

I have no personal stake in this, I am not a fan of either team, but that statement is a stupid one by an Oilers fan.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 12:18 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Sure, no problem. Like I said, I'm not saying Kadri will be the better player, or have the better career. I'll repeat, give credit where credit is due. To say that Kadri is half the player that RNH is is ridiculous.

I have no personal stake in this, I am not a fan of either team, but that statement is a stupid one by an Oilers fan.
As is the statement that RNH hasn't come close to Kadri.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 12:18 PM
v00d00daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by peck420 View Post
FYI

RNH's injury (and Hall's) don't heal.

Ever.

Your options are play through the pain, or get the damage surgically repaired.

The success rate for 18-22 year old's, with this type of injury, is over 95%.

For whatever it is worth, RNH is already cleared, medically, to play. I imagine he is being sat till November to catch up on conditioning and strength training he was limited with during his surgical recovery.
I hope Nuge comes back stronger than ever but to suggest that he's being held back until November AND suggesting that he's healed is just plain wrong.

If he needs conditioning (game legs) it would take him a week or two max. He's a young guy.

His shoulder will not be ready until November. Meaning...it's not done healing.

I really hope they got it right this time because if they didnt, this reoccurring shoulder injury could really mess up his career.

v00d00daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 12:19 PM
TOML

Based on GVT last season Kadri ranked 34th with 10.6 and RNH ranked 528th with 0.8. So Kadri is technically 13.25x the player RNH is at the moment.

Esp. with RNH starting the season on the shelf. I like RNH's potential, but i'm not sure how a bridge contract works for one and not the other at this point.

But i feel they awarded the big contract early to take the pressure off of RNH to return early from his ongoing shoulder rehab. The Oilers should be confident that a healthy RNH is easily worth $6mil per long-term.

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 12:19 PM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

Quote:
Kadri had a 0.917 PPG last season, what the hell is the point of comparing career numbers of a young player that just broke out last season?
And RNH had a .84 ppg at 18 including playing with bad shoulder parts of that season and all of last but all this is ignored lets see what Rnh puts up at age 22

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 12:22 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Why? Because of where each player was drafted in the 1st round? Draft status means ****, 1st overall picks can bust and 7th overall picks can flourish. I'm not saying that Kadri is the better player, but he did put up nearly PPG numbers as a 22 year old. Give credit where credit is due, so far Nugent-Hopkins has not been able to produce at the same level as Kadri.
Kadri - 22 years old
RNH- 18 years old

Ill give credit to Kadri, that was a great year. But RNH was 3 developmental years younger than Kadri. Which for young players is huge. Take a look at recent #1 picks and where they are now versus 3 years ago. Its night and day.

Its like saying Gagner is equal/better than Yakupov/ Huberdeau/ Seguin/Galchenyuk etc etc because he put up 36 in 48 points this year, meanhwile those young players put up similar (but slightly lower numbers)

(Gagner is also only one year older than Kadri)

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 12:23 PM
Goon42

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalegion View Post
This kadri quote is pretty funny

@reporterchris: Nazem Kadri on the #oilers: "I guess they don't believe in bridge contracts."

Clearly Nazem doesn't realize he's half the player nuge is
I can understand why edm did this. First round pick and their only real centre with 1st line potential (we'll see how hall does at centre)

But come on with this kadri vs RNH

I'd take kadri over RNH right now all day er' day but keep trying to justify the risk of this contract. I love how hard canadian teams go at each other about each other's contracts makes me lol every time.

Goon42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 12:25 PM
peck420

Quote:
Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
I hope Nuge comes back stronger than ever but to suggest that he's being held back until November AND suggesting that he's healed is just plain wrong.

If he needs conditioning (game legs) it would take him a week or two max. He's a young guy.

His shoulder will not be ready until November. Meaning...it's not done healing.

I really hope they got it right this time because if they didnt, this reoccurring shoulder injury could really mess up his career.
Nuge would not have been allowed to take off his "no-contact" jersey, during camp, if he did not have medical clearance.

So, yes, I am 100% sure he is medically cleared for play.

The question is whether he is game ready or not.

peck420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 12:26 PM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64 View Post
And RNH had a .84 ppg at 18 including playing with bad shoulder parts of that season and all of last but all this is ignored lets see what Rnh puts up at age 22
If he has bad shoulder at 18, It doesn't sounds too promising. This is huge gamble we'll see what happens. I think Edmonton should have waited one year more, just like Avalanche should have waited with Landeskog. Too early for these massive contracts.

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 12:27 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Why? Because of where each player was drafted in the 1st round? Draft status means ****, 1st overall picks can bust and 7th overall picks can flourish.
And how many 1st overalls have busted in the last, say, 25 years? Two? Maybe three?

Last real #1 bust I can think of was Stefan in 1999. Unless you do something dumb and pick a goalie with your first overall, #1 picks these days are about as close to a sure thing as you can get.

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 12:28 PM
Drop The Mits
Toronto Blue Dingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboninja View Post
Also, let's set the record straight: it is injury, not injuries. The same shoulder problem he has had since junior, so it is not even an injury he got in the NHL per se. People trying to pretend he is injury prone makes me really dismiss their opinion.
I'd rather a player get injured in a bunch of different places (a la Lupul) as that is just bad luck that he keeps getting injured. Injuring the same thing over and over again would be considered injury prone and would worry me more than the former as the more it gets injured the more likely it is to reinjure...

Drop The Mits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 12:28 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchy09 View Post
Clearly you don't realize Kadri is twice the player RHN is, currently anyways.
How many NHL points did Kadri have as a 20 year old again ? I can't remember.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 12:30 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Or an 19 year old? 18 year old?

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResilientBeast View Post
Nuge posted almost ppg numbers in his first season in nhl as an 18 years. Try again
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64 View Post
He sure did, and if we were having this same conversation last season it would certainly be a different one. I'm going to clarify something, so that Oilers fans here can stop melting down here: I truly believe that RNH will be a better player than Kadri, and that he will have a better career. As I've said a number of times now, give credit where credit is due. Kadri put up PPG numbers as a 22 year old, it isn't fair to claim that he is "half the player RNH is". How you quantify that I'm not even sure, what I am sure of is the recent success Kadri has had vs. the recent lack of success RNH has had. I realize there is an age difference, and that a couple of years for a young player is huge. This isn't about me comapring Kadri vs. RNH though, I'm trying to defend against a rather ludicrous statement, really.

Last edited by ThirdManIn: 09-20-2013 at 01:32 PM. Reason: crap
Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ChaoticOrange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goon42 View Post
I can understand why edm did this. First round pick and their only real centre with 1st line potential (we'll see how hall does at centre)

But come on with this kadri vs RNH

I'd take kadri over RNH right now all day er' day but keep trying to justify the risk of this contract. I love how hard canadian teams go at each other about each other's contracts makes me lol every time.
You just signed Clarkson and Bolland for close to 10 million dollars.

Quick straw poll, Clarkson and Bolland for (too lazy for math) 9.5 million ish, or Hall and RNH for 12?

ChaoticOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 12:32 PM
Drop The Mits
Toronto Blue Dingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Around half of the nuge in around half of the games. That was in the NHL and he put up 41 Pts in 44 games in the ahl that year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoticOrange View Post

Quick straw poll, Clarkson and Bolland for (too lazy for math) 9.5 million ish, or Hall and RNH for 12?
First off we didn't sign bolland, we traded for him. Second of all he comes off the books this year. Regarding your comparison, does the nuge/hall combo come with a top 5 pick as per usual?

Here's a comparison for you... Would you rather kessel/Lupul/jvr at 14 mill or nuge and hall for 12?

Drop The Mits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 12:34 PM
v00d00daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by peck420 View Post
Nuge would not have been allowed to take off his "no-contact" jersey, during camp, if he did not have medical clearance.

So, yes, I am 100% sure he is medically cleared for play.

The question is whether he is game ready or not.
So you think he needs an entire month of the season to get game ready?

Is he playing in any pre season games?

The "no contact" jersey coming off in camp means nothing if he's not playing in pre season games.

If he was cleared to play he'd be playing. You don't sit out a guy for 13-14 games if he's medically cleared.

v00d00daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 12:34 PM
jp7

vCash: 50
Oh man Kadri > RNH? People would honestly rather have him long term? I just don't even classic Leafs

jp7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 12:35 PM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

vCash: 140
Ray Ferraro came on TSN1050 and thrashed Oilers GM for handing out this contract, and rightfully so.

Before he did that, he did appreciate future of RNH, and there is no doubting that really. But the points he made were solid:

RNH wasn`t going to be a RFA until next fall, and in worst case scenario; he would hold out. Let`s face it: even with a point a game season (in injury ridden season nonetheless), he wasn't going to command more than what he already got in this contract as a RFA. At this point, it is pretty much a given that Yakupov is getting 6 million as well.

A little premature to hand out this contract.

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 12:36 PM
Prophet Kadri

I really don't like this deal for the oilers. 6 million a year for one good season and yakupov is going to want the same deal. He's a good player but I think the oilers could have waited a year to see if he was a 6 million dollar player.

Prophet Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 12:36 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop The Mits View Post
Around half of the nuge in around half of the games. That was in the NHL and he put up 41 Pts in 44 games in the ahl that year
What ? He had 19 points in 40 games, as a 20 year old.

Nuge hasn't even recorded an NHL point as a 20 year old yet.

Also nobody is talking about AHL points.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 12:37 PM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

vCash: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoticOrange View Post

Talking about Leafs... to a Canucks fan.. and with wrong facts nonetheless. Leafs traded or Bolland; not signed him.

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline   Reply With Quote