HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Oilers sign Ryan Nugent-Hopkins to extension [7 years/$6 million AAV] ‎

Old
09-20-2013, 02:36 PM
Del Preston
Kevin Lowe

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Is there a chance that perhaps this forum consists of over 100,000 people who all have differing opinions, and maybe assuming that the whole of HF is contradicting itself is a bad idea?
I recognize some of the usernames, but thanks.

Del Preston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 02:38 PM
bottomofthefoodchain

vCash: 500
Best case scenario he will turn out to be worth it.

bottomofthefoodchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 02:39 PM
Steve BachIntyre
BonegrinderNetminder

or more!

Steve BachIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 02:39 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Preston View Post
I recognize some of the usernames, but thanks.
So maybe find the contradictory posts and refute those rather than pinning it on all of us. Thanks.

TMI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 02:41 PM
Del Preston
Kevin Lowe

Quote:
So maybe find the contradictory posts and refute those rather than pinning it on all of us. Thanks.
I'd rather not spend the next hour searching posts.

Sorry for offending you.

Last edited by Del Preston: 09-20-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Del Preston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 02:46 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Whats the problem with generalizing here? This is an open forum to discuss contracts.

The general consensus among non Oilers fans of Halls new contract was that he couldn't be judged on his offense because hey, shortened season.

And now on this same open forum we're hearing the exact opposite argument for Nugent-Hopkins and his 4 goal season. Also some of those are suggesting Kadri is much more proven a player based on the merit of that shortened season.

So whats its going to be? Shortened season ok for some players and not for all ?

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 02:48 PM
Claypool
Montreal is garbage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spOiler View Post
Do people not see the risk of offer sheets btw. We don't sign him every team and their aunt would be after a #1c.
So the Oilers could just match? No one is going to throw $7+ million at this guy.

Claypool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 02:50 PM
tempest2i
Feral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claypool View Post
So the Oilers could just match? No one is going to throw $7+ million at this guy.
*checks to see if Feaster is still employed*

*notices he now works with Burke*

*remembers how mad Burke was about the Dustin Penner offersheet*

*Thinks about 6.5M offer sheet for ROR written by Feaster*

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 02:53 PM
youvegotit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
Playing hardball with your core is how you lose key players for zero assets. The Oilers are overpaying him for a year or two for potentially massive savings later. It was the same with the Hall deal.

And yea, Yakupov will get 6 million as well. It'll be well worth it. We (and other NW division fans) know what we have.
Yes we do. You have an incredibly fast and skill team that has great individual talent. However as a team you lack in many areas. My only issue if you also sign Nail and Schultz to large contracts is you have a core of players taking up a significant portion of your cap that have a very similar skill set. Its great to have these players and any team would want them, however to have a team of only fast, skill players would worry me.

youvegotit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 02:55 PM
Steve BachIntyre
BonegrinderNetminder

IMO MacT didnt give this contract out, Katz did. MacT looked kinda shakey in the presser, and was sighing alot.

Until the Oilers get a bonafide enforcer, I don't know if these deals are going to pan out, though they should.

Old
09-20-2013, 02:57 PM
tempest2i
Feral

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetCluttered22 View Post
Yes we do. You have an incredibly fast and skill team that has great individual talent. However as a team you lack in many areas. My only issue if you also sign Nail and Schultz to large contracts is you have a core of players taking up a significant portion of your cap that have a very similar skill set. Its great to have these players and any team would want them, however to have a team of only fast, skill players would worry me.
Young skilled point producing forwards are the hardest type of player to acquire. Are you suggesting that the Oilers trade one or more of them for a different type of player? Do tell, what sort of a deal are you thinking they can make?

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 02:59 PM
SephF
Visually Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalegion View Post
This kadri quote is pretty funny

@reporterchris: Nazem Kadri on the #oilers: "I guess they don't believe in bridge contracts."

Clearly Nazem doesn't realize he's half the player nuge is
What a dbag, shut up Nazem.

These kids are first overall picks.

SephF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 03:00 PM
Zubrus Coffee Maker
Blinded by my Zubrus

Kadri is significantly better than RNH right now, come on guys, take off the hater glasses. People need to watch the games

Zubrus Coffee Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 03:02 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post
Young skilled point producing forwards are the hardest type of player to acquire. Are you suggesting that the Oilers trade one or more of them for a different type of player? Do tell, what sort of a deal are you thinking they can make?
The Oilers need more skating refrigerators. Haven't you been listening to what the collective hockey world has been trying to beat into our skulls?

Old
09-20-2013, 03:02 PM
Steve BachIntyre
BonegrinderNetminder

this is turning into a "my dad can beat up your dad" thread. why are you trying to hijack this thread?

Old
09-20-2013, 03:03 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubrus Coffee Maker View Post
Kadri is significantly better than RNH right now, come on guys. take off the hater glasses
Errr, he's not though. He's had one really good shortened season. And shortened seasons don't count, am I doing this right???

Old
peck420

vCash: 625
Quote:
Kadri is significantly better than RNH right now, come on guys. take off the hater glasses
Doesn't matter who is better then who. You don't comment on another players contract, well, not publicly, any ways.

peck420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

Quote:
Cool, if Kadri breaks out the ~$4m you saved with a bridge contract will be more than covered by the large contract he'll get at the end of the bridge deal.

For the Oilers, it makes a lot of sense to spend a little more right now (when they're not contenders) to save more in the future (when they hope to be contenders).

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 03:04 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I'm not even sure how that quote can be misconstrued as Kadri even attempting to compare himself to RNH, or anyone, to be honest. He's talking about the contracts. It's pretty clear Edmonton isn't interested in bridge contracts, at least not for their young guns. Why does making that observation make Kadri a villain?

TMI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 03:06 PM
youvegotit

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post
No I'm not as I'm not an oilers fan, however if I was then yes. Look at what Boston got for Seguin, not saying its easy to trade a player like that however a player like Eriksson IMO would really help the oilers or a top 2 dman would be a godsent for you guys.

youvegotit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 03:07 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlapshotSuperstar View Post
IMO MacT didnt give this contract out, Katz did. MacT looked kinda shakey in the presser, and was sighing alot.

Until the Oilers get a bonafide enforcer, I don't know if these deals are going to pan out, though they should.
Your line of thinking is that unless the Oilers get a 4th line face puncher to play 20 games at 6 mininutes a nigh, none of their players will be able to succeed and score ppg season.

ouff

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 03:07 PM
Joey Moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbruins1 View Post
this is a big risk for the oilers. definitely paying for potential.. If he can stay healthy he will earn the money they are paying him.
How is it a risk when we've seen him dominate as a rookie and even while recovering from shoulder surgery he's been buzzing in training camp? Oilers fans and management are well aware of what he can do and what he will do. A Bruins fan? Obviously not.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 03:08 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
I'm not even sure how that quote can be misconstrued as Kadri even attempting to compare himself to RNH, or anyone, to be honest. He's talking about the contracts. It's pretty clear Edmonton isn't interested in bridge contracts, at least not for their young guns. Why does making that observation make Kadri a villain?
I don't know if you missed that whole "Kadri Is An Evil Greedy Moneysucker" PR campaign that Dreger launched during his contract negotiation??

I'm obviously paraphrasing here, but it was pretty blatant. He might be a little resentful of the fact that he just tried to negotiate his way past a bridge contract and essentially had the biggest media player in Canada sicked on him.

Old
09-20-2013, 03:10 PM
SephF
Visually Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by peck420 View Post
Doesn't matter who is better then who. You don't comment on another players contract, well, not publicly, any ways.
Especially considering they do give bridge deals, just look at Gagner and Petry for example. When you get drafted 1st overall things are a little different.

And yes, Kadri had a great year last year. I'm not denying that at all.

Quote:
Because he's wrong and ignorant.

SephF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 03:10 PM
Gardner McKay
#4parsley

vCash: 0
Id take Kadri over "The Nuge" any day of the week when factoring in contracts, production and health.