HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

2013-14 Regular Season Schedule, Draft Picks, Training Camp, Media, Salary Cap

Old
09-20-2013, 02:04 PM
Appleyard

vCash: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by CS View Post
That's another possibility, but VandeVelde and Raffl are competing for Couturier's wing?

Raffl is still way too soft to make me feel comfortable with that because I'm assuming he wins that competition.
Raffl may not be a guy who hits hard or fights often, (he did have several fights in the Austrian league though, including obliging Burke Henry, who is pretty mean) but I don't think he is soft persay.

From what I have seen so far in preseason and 2 games I saw of him on the top line for Austria at the World Champs he is pretty damn good two way, doesn't get bullied off the puck, is not hesitant to battle on the boards, backchecks well.

Not saying he won't be the next Pyörälä, but he has some grit to his game.

Appleyard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 02:06 PM
Curufinwe

vCash: 500
Does Simmonds just have the day off?

Isaac said Hall got a two year extension, but that was Rosehill. Hall only got a one-year deal. Hall and Rosehill should split the RW spot if Laughton is going to be the 4C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Forsberg View Post
Then Mez would really have to be moved at that point and that Gill will have to be released as well.
They can have Laughton, Raffl, Meszaros and Gustafsson on the team for the first game if they put Pronger on LTIR right away. I think it would be a mistake to waive Gustafsson and let him possibly get picked up by another team.

Last edited by Curufinwe: 09-20-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 02:29 PM
Hiesenberg

vCash: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Very few C's can't play wing. It's actually less responsibility but I completely get what you're saying. I was just pointing out that it wouldn't be the first time the Flyers have done this. Carter was also moved to wing while first coming up playing with Richie on the 4th line. I'm not really sure if Carter played wing in juniors at all but like I said it doesn't seem like they consider it that big a deal.
But wouldn't you think if this was a possibility, he'd be playing win during the preseason and practices?

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 03:49 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
But wouldn't you think if this was a possibility, he'd be playing win during the preseason and practices?
He did play some wing during the preseason....

Holmgrem already threw his name in for the LW spot like last week or whatever so we know they are at least considering it.

FlyersFan61290 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 04:16 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
Raffl may not be a guy who hits hard or fights often, (he did have several fights in the Austrian league though, including obliging Burke Henry, who is pretty mean) but I don't think he is soft persay.

From what I have seen so far in preseason and 2 games I saw of him on the top line for Austria at the World Champs he is pretty damn good two way, doesn't get bullied off the puck, is not hesitant to battle on the boards, backchecks well.

Not saying he won't be the next Pyörälä, but he has some grit to his game.
I was at the rangers game on Tuesday and I distinctly took note of the play when raffl was hit heavily in the corner by a ranger (I forget who it was) and immediately popped up and booked it to the other end of the ice and got right into the play in the corners again.

He's definitely not a soft player. He's not going to lay anyone out, but he's not soft either.

Also, as for the Laughton situation; if he makes the team as the 4th C, hall should be scratched or waived. Talbot and Rinaldo should be the cemented 4th line Ws, with Rosehill waiting in the wings if Rinaldo is injured, suspended or isn't playing well. I don't want hall or Laughton on the wing.

If Laughton makes the team, is like to see:

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
Schenn-Lecavalier-Simmonds
Raffl-Couturier-Read
Talbot-Laughton-Rinaldo
Rosehill

Last edited by orange is better: 09-20-2013 at 04:21 PM.
orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 01:43 AM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
I was at the rangers game on Tuesday and I distinctly took note of the play when raffl was hit heavily in the corner by a ranger (I forget who it was) and immediately popped up and booked it to the other end of the ice and got right into the play in the corners again.

He's definitely not a soft player. He's not going to lay anyone out, but he's not soft either.

Also, as for the Laughton situation; if he makes the team as the 4th C, hall should be scratched or waived. Talbot and Rinaldo should be the cemented 4th line Ws, with Rosehill waiting in the wings if Rinaldo is injured, suspended or isn't playing well. I don't want hall or Laughton on the wing.

If Laughton makes the team, is like to see:

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
Schenn-Lecavalier-Simmonds
Raffl-Couturier-Read
Talbot-Laughton-Rinaldo
Rosehill
The point, though, is that you kind of need a little bit of a bruising element for the Couturier-Read combination. Both aren't soft but Read isn't very good along the boards and Couturier still is only 20. So I'd like to have some kind of protection and grit with those two guys.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 07:44 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:
Very few C's can't play wing. It's actually less responsibility but I completely get what you're saying. I was just pointing out that it wouldn't be the first time the Flyers have done this. Carter was also moved to wing while first coming up playing with Richie on the 4th line. I'm not really sure if Carter played wing in juniors at all but like I said it doesn't seem like they consider it that big a deal.
Gagne played only centre till the NHL. Giroux was a rw in junior. Leclair played centre till his flyer days.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 08:08 AM
Curufinwe

Giroux is still listed as being a RW by the NHL website. Bunch of dummies.

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 11:08 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Does Simmonds just have the day off?
Flu.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 11:29 AM
Clown Baby

Quote:
Carter played center almost exclusively except for a few experimental looks with Hitchcock. They never lasted, though. His primary linemates his rookie season were Umberger and Dimitrakos. I can't remember if he played wing at all at the World Juniors.

Clown Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 11:46 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Baby View Post
Carter played center almost exclusively except for a few experimental looks with Hitchcock. They never lasted, though. His primary linemates his rookie season were Umberger and Dimitrakos. I can't remember if he played wing at all at the World Juniors.
The point stand that a center moving to wing especially for the Flyers doesn't really matter.

For some reason I remembered Carter playing more wing early on, I guess I remember the few games he did play wing and just assumed he played more there. Anyway, how could Dimitrakos have been one of his primary linemates? He wasn't here that long. If I remember correctly he joined the team late in the season and I think the team lost to Buffalo that year in the first round of the playoffs. I think that was the year Esche had like a 50 save performance (game 2 maybe) in an OT loss and the Flyers just couldn't solve Miller the whole series. Though Niko beat him short side on a slapper coming down the right side from the top of the circle . I remember that pretty clearly cause I was like seriously Miller is playing lights out and Dimitrakos beats him like that.

Old
09-21-2013, 11:38 PM
TheKingPin

Vokoun with a blood clot is out for awhile. Fluery will be the main guy. Should be fun.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 12:24 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
Vokoun with a blood clot is out for awhile. Fluery will be the main guy. Should be fun.
that does suck. wouldnt wish blood clots on anyone.

GoneFullHolmgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 10:33 AM
Hiesenberg

Looks like Talbot is closing in on the 3W role. Not a fan of that.

Old
09-23-2013, 12:26 PM
Esq.

Quote:
Looks like Talbot is closing in on the 3W role. Not a fan of that.
I don't think Talbot would be a bad fit at 3LW. His two-way style of play would fit nicely with Couturier and Read.

I think the reason they are looking at Talbot for that 3LW spot is that they want to keep Laughton up as the 4C. Then they move Hall to RW, where he's played before (and he can still take faceoffs).

Hartnell - Giroux - Voracek
Schenn - Lecavalier - Simmonds
Talbot - Couturier - Read
Rinaldo - Laughton - Hall
Rosehill

96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 12:29 PM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 View Post
Where are you seeing that? Everything I've seen has Raffl closest to securing the spot.
Carchidi keeps mentioning it, however Simmonds is still ill, so Raffl keeps playing on the 2W. Until they have a full group I guess we won't know.

Old
09-23-2013, 12:30 PM
Hiesenberg

BTW, It was announced that Hextell will be the GM of the Phantoms. I'm not really sure what that means, I don't know what roles the AHL GM has.

Old
09-23-2013, 12:40 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
BTW, It was announced that Hextell will be the GM of the Phantoms. I'm not really sure what that means, I don't know what roles the AHL GM has.
Normal the responsibilities fall on the GM of the NHL affiliate. I guess Homer decided to give Hextall some of the experience and some more responsibilities (minor league trades and signings).

Old
09-23-2013, 12:52 PM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Quote:
Normal the responsibilities fall on the GM of the NHL affiliate. I guess Homer decided to give Hextall some of the experience and some more responsibilities (minor league trades and signings).
He had that same title in LA. GM of the AHL affiliate (Manchester)

GoneFullHolmgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 03:15 PM
FlyersFan61290

Well according to Panaccio the Flyers practiced pp a lot today. Based on the groups out there it doesn't seem as if Lavi is planning on using Couts on the 2nd pp unit . It also seems like Mez will be the 6th d-man as he and Streit were playing point on the 2nd pp.

Lavi is gonna ruin Couts along with our playoffs hopes, he needs to go sooner rather then later.

Old
10-01-2013, 04:40 AM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Don't know if anyone cares, and it is just a fluff piece from the team website, but Taylor Leier has been named captain of the Winterhawks.

http://www.winterhawks.com/article/t...d-team-captain

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 07:24 AM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Well according to Panaccio the Flyers practiced pp a lot today. Based on the groups out there it doesn't seem as if Lavi is planning on using Couts on the 2nd pp unit . It also seems like Mez will be the 6th d-man as he and Streit were playing point on the 2nd pp.

Lavi is gonna ruin Couts along with our playoffs hopes, he needs to go sooner rather then later.
How is not putting him on the 2nd PP unit ruining him?

Old
10-01-2013, 09:05 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
How is not putting him on the 2nd PP unit ruining him?
He plays loads of pk and tough limited es minutes. He hasn't had a chance at developing his offensive game. He needs to play to ever be more then a 3rd line defensive center.

Old
10-01-2013, 09:26 AM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
He plays loads of pk and tough limited es minutes. He hasn't had a chance at developing his offensive game. He needs to play to ever be more then a 3rd line defensive center.
Valid, but who's job will he take on the PP unit?

Here are your power play forwards (for the most part)

Giroux
Hartnell
Vinny
Simmonds
Voracek
Read

Now the thing is, do you line Couturier at wing do you put him at the point? Does Read stay at the point?

Old
10-01-2013, 10:00 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Valid, but who's job will he take on the PP unit?

Here are your power play forwards (for the most part)

Giroux
Hartnell
Vinny
Simmonds
Voracek
Read

Now the thing is, do you line Couturier at wing do you put him at the point? Does Read stay at the point?
2nd pp is Schenn-Vinny-Read with Streit and Mez at the point. Read is good at the point and has played plenty of it. I would take Mez off and move Read to the point, thus giving Couts a spot on the second unit.

Last edited by FlyersFan61290: 10-01-2013 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Typos