HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anything Goes 11: Coke>Pepsi

Closed Thread

Old
09-20-2013, 12:57 PM
MurrayBannerman
Moo Points

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
That's an astounding percentage.
I still won't drive through Englewood.

Old
09-20-2013, 01:07 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 128
Old, but still relevent:

I live in Evanston, just a few blocks to north of the city border with Rogers Park, aka one of the "most dangerous" communities on the North Side, and if it were on the South Side it'd be one of the safest. There are places in my hometown of Champaign that are shadier than Rogers Park, for crying out loud.

Nerd, don't estimate all humanity by the limitations of your own capability. - Steve Smith, Professor of History, University of China, IL
Old
09-20-2013, 02:42 PM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Case in point for how ****ed up Chicago is.... but only in some areas and for some people.

https://twitter.com/jesshopp/status/381093113013362688

Can't say for sure if those are entirely accurate numbers, though.
No **** they're almost all black and Latino. The people dying are gangbangers of poor areas. The truth is that white people aren't in gang-related activity a huge majority of the time, so that stat is astounding but still not a surprise at all. It's a war zone in some areas of Chicago, but the news keeps saying "people" are dying. No, thugs are shooting thugs and sometimes accidentally capping innocent bystanders like that three-year-old boy.

Old
09-20-2013, 03:08 PM
Ace Rothstein
Aces High

Quote:
Case in point for how ****ed up Chicago is.... but only in some areas and for some people.

https://twitter.com/jesshopp/status/381093113013362688

Can't say for sure if those are entirely accurate numbers, though.
The one girl commenting on there is full of **** stating that the police presence in non-white areas is non-existent. The police have been moving units out of those neighborhoods to their detriment to deal with all of the violence elsewhere.

Old
09-20-2013, 03:31 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
No **** they're almost all black and Latino. The people dying are gangbangers of poor areas. The truth is that white people aren't in gang-related activity a huge majority of the time, so that stat is astounding but still not a surprise at all. It's a war zone in some areas of Chicago, but the news keeps saying "people" are dying. No, thugs are shooting thugs and sometimes accidentally capping innocent bystanders like that three-year-old boy.
Thugs are shooting thugs, sure, but it's not just "sometimes" that innocent bystanders are getting shot. Saying otherwise is overly simplifying things, not to mention dehumanizing victims of violent crime in Chicago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
The one girl commenting on there is full of **** stating that the police presence in non-white areas is non-existent. The police have been moving units out of those neighborhoods to their detriment to deal with all of the violence elsewhere.
Uh... don't give a **** what she says about other things, I was just quoting that one tweet due to the numbers and the percentage.

Her opinions on other things aren't relevant, nor do I even care. I was just quoting her because I follow Dan Sinker, the guy that did the parody Rahm Emmanuel account, and he retweeted that.

Old
09-20-2013, 03:32 PM
Ace Rothstein
Aces High

Quote:
Uh... don't give a **** what she says about other things, I was just quoting that one tweet due to the numbers and the percentage.

Her opinions on other things aren't relevant, nor do I even care.
I was just pointing that out as her tweet really bothered me.

Old
09-20-2013, 03:34 PM
Ace Rothstein
Aces High

Quote:
The problem is that increasingly they seem to not be gangbangers and are the innocent bystanders being hit. Gangbangers aren't known for having good aim.

Old
09-20-2013, 03:36 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
I was just pointing that out as her tweet really bothered me.
Ah, gotcha. She could be a complete buffoon for all that I know, just found the numbers and the overwhelming percentage shocking.

Old
09-20-2013, 03:52 PM
Ace Rothstein
Aces High

Quote:
Ah, gotcha. She could be a complete buffoon for all that I know, just found the numbers and the overwhelming percentage shocking.
Not much has changed over the years. http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1...ficking-killed In 1991, 77% of homicide victims were black. It is 80% this year according to the twitter post you linked. The one good piece of news is that homicides are down considerably from 20 years ago.

Old
09-20-2013, 05:36 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 400
Quote:
Old, but still relevent:

I live in Evanston, just a few blocks to north of the city border with Rogers Park, aka one of the "most dangerous" communities on the North Side, and if it were on the South Side it'd be one of the safest. There are places in my hometown of Champaign that are shadier than Rogers Park, for crying out loud.
Lets see here

I live a few blocks from Riverdale , Chicago (And 2 miles from Altgeld Garden housing project)

I live like 25 yds from Riverdale , IL (Which borders Riverdale , Chicago which was annexed by Chicago back in late 1800's and If I recall correctly a small portion of West Pullman borders on Riverdale , IL but it gets tricky at the dividing line between Blue Island, Riverdale , Dolton and the Chicago border)

My area is awful

Last edited by Blackhawkswincup: 09-20-2013 at 05:49 PM.
Old
09-20-2013, 05:43 PM
Kurtosis
Patiently Waiting

Norwood Park so I'm all in the clear.

Old
09-20-2013, 06:11 PM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Yeah, Kurtosis is probably more in the clear than any of the rest of us.

Old
09-20-2013, 06:14 PM
MurrayBannerman
Moo Points

Since when does Hegewisch have an e at the end.

Old
09-20-2013, 06:17 PM
Gootie
Thug of the Year

West Elsdon woot

Old
09-20-2013, 06:20 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
That is actually a good point

I have never seen it listed with an E at end

Old
09-20-2013, 06:25 PM
Cullksinikers

I know you guys will laugh, but you have to watch your back in CU, especially if you go out at night.

People have gotten hit with blow darts, gotten pistol-whipped, mugged, beaten and left bloody, and other things between 9 p.m. and 3 a.m. If you go out down here, it's better to go to your destination and to leave with a group. Over 30,000 people are on campus, so the odds are low you'll get your **** taken, but if muggings are happening, someone has to get mugged. I just carry like $5, my room key, my ID to get back in the building, and my phone in case I ever have a problem. I'm not scared, but in case the odd chance of it happening does, I'm not in deep ****.

Old
09-20-2013, 06:28 PM
MurrayBannerman
Moo Points

It's one thing when you're twiggy and another when you're normal sized.

Old
09-20-2013, 06:28 PM
Cullksinikers

I have a great idea for the people (bystanders) getting hit with stray bullets: stay the **** inside! There's no reason for you to be out at 10 p.m. in awful neighborhood with your three-year-old son. That's just awful parenting. If I can't afford to get out of the neighborhood and need to make sure I give myself the best possible option to escape, the first thing I can do is make sure I only go out when I need to (groceries and work) so I don't take a bullet to the melon.

Old
09-20-2013, 06:32 PM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
It's one thing when you're twiggy and another when you're normal sized.
I couple armed thugs went up to one dude that was locking his bike on something a couple weeks ago past midnight and demanded his wallet or something. The guy refused, so they threatened to kill him. From what I can tell, it seems as though he refused to give up his valuables first, gave them up when he thought they'd kill him if he didn't, then they pistol-whipped the guy and left him bleeding on the sidewalk since he inconvenienced them.

I'm not a tall guy at all. Sure, I can pack a punch for my size, but you can't fight someone no matter what size they are if they'll bust a cap in your ass.

Old
09-20-2013, 06:35 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
Quote:
+1

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 4 characters.

Old
09-20-2013, 07:15 PM
MurrayBannerman
Moo Points

Quote:
I couple armed thugs went up to one dude that was locking his bike on something a couple weeks ago past midnight and demanded his wallet or something. The guy refused, so they threatened to kill him. From what I can tell, it seems as though he refused to give up his valuables first, gave them up when he thought they'd kill him if he didn't, then they pistol-whipped the guy and left him bleeding on the sidewalk since he inconvenienced them.

I'm not a tall guy at all. Sure, I can pack a punch for my size, but you can't fight someone no matter what size they are if they'll bust a cap in your ass.
Do you go to Malcolm X College now or something?

Old
09-20-2013, 07:15 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
I know you guys will laugh, but you have to watch your back in CU, especially if you go out at night.

People have gotten hit with blow darts, gotten pistol-whipped, mugged, beaten and left bloody, and other things between 9 p.m. and 3 a.m. If you go out down here, it's better to go to your destination and to leave with a group. Over 30,000 people are on campus, so the odds are low you'll get your **** taken, but if muggings are happening, someone has to get mugged. I just carry like $5, my room key, my ID to get back in the building, and my phone in case I ever have a problem. I'm not scared, but in case the odd chance of it happening does, I'm not in deep ****.
Yikes, sounds like Urbana's gotten a tad worse in the several years since I've moved from there.

Oh, and the Illini hockey season starts tonight! Better get your fill of games in while you're down there!

Old
09-20-2013, 07:39 PM
Cullksinikers

I might be going with a group, but I am not sure if we are for sure. I do things on-the-fly.

Old
09-20-2013, 08:54 PM
Chris Hansen
Versteeg's Concubine

Champaign is Champaign. Don't walk alone past midnight and you won't have problems.

Old
09-20-2013, 09:01 PM
Gootie
Thug of the Year

Quote:

We get emails here like twice a week about stuff like that happening just off campus here. I'm assuming it's mostly off campus by you?

Like others have mentioned, stay in a group, try to stay on busy/well-lit streets, etc.

Here we have a university staff of those 18 seater vans that pick up students all the time and drive them home. It's pretty convenient.

Closed Thread