HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If Markov retired tomorrow, would you want the Habs to retire his number?

View Poll Results: If Markov retired tomorrow, would you want the Habs to retire his number?
Yes 47 17.41%
No 223 82.59%
Voters: 270. You may not vote on this poll

Old
09-20-2013, 06:09 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
The purists will say that you're way off base - what do I know
In my humble opinion what you're asking is to reset the benchmark.
Would that then apply to the players of yesteryear?
Wouldn't that be akin to opening the floodgates?
just sayin............................................. .........
this is a team honouring a player , it's not a league honour.

in 3 years Markov may surpass Serge Savard in points, if you think about that in the context of the crud that Markov played with in his career, and the annual offensively challenged teams there were, well I don't think anyone's standards have been lowered for his inclusion.

Agnostic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 06:13 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
You don't retire numbers based on whim. The number needs a wearer that accomplished something exceptional. With that criteria in hand, Saku deserves it more (he beat cancer). Markov essentially didn't do anything other than have a long career in the jersey. That's simply not enough since someone may accomplish better with the same number.
Beating cancer is deserving but being in the top 6 all time in CHC scoring at your position, and climbing, is undeserved and on a "whim"?

Old
09-20-2013, 06:18 PM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
People need to get out of the six team 60's league and into the context of a 30 team NHL where players become unrestricted at 27.

Markov is not retiring tomorrow, he's probably going to have a 15+ year career with the habs. That's remarkable today, perhaps we will never see it again for this team.

what's more extraordinary is Markov did this while the players around him sucked, and for a while the organization was Mickey Mouse and led by idiots. Context people.

If people are reserving this team honour for Cup winning players who have HOF careers, fans will probably never see another jersey retired.
Agreed, I think Markov's number should be retired, I think the old criteria was/is foolish, it's like a pitcher required to win 300 games to get in to the Hall, well pitchers of today have almost no shot.

The numbers retired should be based on the on ice performance and contributions from that player to the city. Cup counting has little to do with any of this. Markov's situation is unique, great dman around top 5-10 in the league for the prime of his career, but never the number one guy in any given year, becoming a Canadian citizen and everything, I think he's worthy, but not before Saku.

habsfanatics is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 06:22 PM
Riggins

Surprised even one person voted yes.

Riggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 06:27 PM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Quote:
Beating cancer is deserving but being in the top 6 all time in CHC scoring at your position, and climbing, is undeserved and on a "whim"?
The accomplishment isn't good enough to make me think that another player couldn't do the same with the same number in the next 20-30 years. The number 11 that beat cancer however might be better remembered. That said I wouldn't retire Saku's number and didn't say I would. His case just sounds more deserving without making it.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 06:39 PM
Rick16

I voted no but if he wins the Norris and the Stanley Cup this year I might rethink my answer...

Rick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 06:42 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
fans will probably never see another jersey retired.
I really wouldn't mind that. Should we retire Brisebois's jersey too?
I'm probably one of the biggest fans of Markov. I think he was top 5 in the NHL during his prime years before getting injured, but I think the Habs have to stop retiring jerseys unless we're talking about major exceptional players. They can come up with different ways to pay hommage to great players.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 06:45 PM
Edgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
yes

anybody who ends up in your top 3 or top 4 all time points leader for defensemen ON THIS TEAM, deserves to be up there, i mean, he's gonna get past harvey ffs

that said, im not mad if anybody thinks different. markov does lack the hardware but to be fair, he was robbed of a norris imo

edit: and he's gonna get into that top 3 without even being in the top 10 for games played. whaddup

Quote:
this is a team honouring a player , it's not a league honour.

in 3 years Markov may surpass Serge Savard in points, if you think about that in the context of the crud that Markov played with in his career, and the annual offensively challenged teams there were, well I don't think anyone's standards have been lowered for his inclusion.
This sums it up perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
Neither Sak nor Markov. Unless he becomes instrumental in a cup win. The next number to be retired could be 76; between Roy and Subb there is noone worthy of the rafters. And i love both of Markov and Sak.

Not saying Subban has proven enough yet but he's the first candidate since Roy.
Really?! You're willing to consider Subban as a candidate in the future but not the guy who has already surpassed some of the greats and about to take over the #3 spot in points for a defense-man comfortably?!!

Winning a cup would be icing on the cake AFAIC but not winning it does not in any way shape or from affect how deserving he already is of that honor.

Edgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 06:56 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count of DannyKristo View Post
Surprised even one person voted yes.
There's a debate here, that's what the OP wanted, but your comment is ignorance.

Old
09-20-2013, 06:56 PM
Bobby G

Saku: Yes
Markov: No

Bobby G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 06:59 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
Hey they didnt retire Andre "Red Light" Racicot's shirt so so dice for Markov!

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 07:27 PM
habfaninvictoria

sorry but... stupid question.

No Cups

No individual awards

No discussion

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 07:50 PM
Sorinth

Retiring a number is an individual honor. You win Stanley Cups as a team so not winning a cup is irrelevant.

If Markov retires tomorrow, I don't think he makes it and he probably shouldn't. But in a few more years he'll be in top-3 if not top-2 in most of the offensive categories by defenceman. At that point you have to start considering it.

As for Koivu for me it's a no-brainer. For a generation of fans he WAS the Montreal Canadiens. We lived and died with him, he was the one ray of hope during our darkest times. You don't retire Koivu because he was one of the greatest players in the game, you retire his number because of what he meant to the team and it's fans. To quote Bob Gainey "He's a champion who hasn't won a championship."

Sorinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 07:54 PM
Haaabs

No, and I don't think we'd need to either, #79 isn't exactly a very popular number

To be honest, I want us to start honoring numbers instead of retiring them. What happens, if it ever occurs, that we only have 22 numbers available? We won't be able to ice a full team.

Haaabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 08:01 PM
MXD

No way. There are Norris winners who don't have their number retired you know...

The no way applies to Koivu as well.

MXD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 08:17 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Maybe change "retired" to "raised" and hang a jersey from the rafters. Of course this may downgrade the "retire" value.

Don't mean to be alarmist but the Habs have retired fifteen numbers since Morenz's "7." Continuing at this rate, an insufficient supply of (one- or two-digit) numbers will remain for the Habs in the year 2342.

Doomsday 2342

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 08:42 PM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

vCash: 50
Absolutely not, he's been great for us, but there is no way he belongs with the others up there.

ZARTONK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 08:58 PM
groovejuice

I think he'll need a cup to even be considered. *****, Lemaire and Shutt aren't even there.

groovejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 09:06 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post
I think he'll need a cup to even be considered. *****, Lemaire and Shutt aren't even there.
Who's "*****"??

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 09:25 PM
Et le But

Easily no (but he's not finished yet), but this brings up a legitimate question? Should the Habs have a way of honouring players without retiring their numbers? There's too many great all time Habs who fall victim to history, including Markov. Maybe we can do like the Yankees do, have a monument park including both the retired numbers and others worth remembering, from Lapointe, Shutt and Lemaire to Damphousse and Chelios to Markov and Koivu.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 09:29 PM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 1549
How is it even possible that this many people are voting yes??? Markov has never won anything. And he's never proved anything in the playoffs. It's a joke to even put his name in the same conversation as those whose numbers have already been retired.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 09:32 PM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaabs View Post
No, and I don't think we'd need to either, #79 isn't exactly a very popular number

To be honest, I want us to start honoring numbers instead of retiring them. What happens, if it ever occurs, that we only have 22 numbers available? We won't be able to ice a full team.
I am always thinking the same thing. If we keep retiring numbers eventually we will have players wearing 3 digits. Gotta stop at some point. Honoring players can be as simple as honoring players. Surely, we can find a better way to respect former players than telling other players that their number is off limits.

Last edited by andy28: 09-20-2013 at 09:47 PM.
andy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 09:36 PM
donghabs98

I love marky but he doesn't belong in that group of retirees

I would however "retire" ie not let any player take 79 for a couple of seasons as a sign of respect

donghabs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 09:40 PM
Bob Cole

no, were not a second rate franchise like the canucks or the senators.

Bob Cole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 09:45 PM
Alexdaman

Cup or not hes not shirt hanging material.

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote