HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Morgan Rielly Looks Ready

Closed Thread

Old
09-20-2013, 06:40 PM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
Morgan Rielly Looks Ready

Honestly, is his game lacking in any major area? In my opinion he is actually playing conservatively and has a lot more to offer offensively. I think he is better than Liles. If the coaches think he has outplayed Liles at the end of the camp, do you think they will keep Rielly up?

Old
09-20-2013, 06:43 PM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

He is ready but I'm sure you will get people saying he should go to junior for some inexplicable reason. If he can make a NHL team and a playoff one at that, there is nothing he would learn in junior.

Old
09-20-2013, 06:46 PM
Man Bear Pig

People like me, who believe he should be sent back down, feel this way because they don't want to see our best prospect stuck on the third pairing and not receiving any ice time when he could be playing 25+ minutes a night in junior.

Old
09-20-2013, 06:48 PM
BIitz
RIP LL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
People like me, who believe he should be sent back down, feel this way because they don't want to see our best prospect stuck on the third pairing and not receiving any ice time when he could be playing 25+ minutes a night in junior.
So the question to that is, Can he learn more at 25 minutes a game in the dub compared to 14-16 in the NHL?

Old
09-20-2013, 06:49 PM
Funk21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIitz View Post
So the question to that is, Can he learn more at 25 minutes a game in the dub compared to 14-16 in the NHL?
Yes!

Old
09-20-2013, 06:53 PM
BIitz
RIP LL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk21 View Post
Yes!
Personally I think the answer is no. Any time you let a prospect take a "leap of faith" you hope they have the character to learn from their mistakes, which they will inevitably make.

I think the biggest thing Rielly needs to learn right now is tendencies. When can I rush the puck? When can I jump into the rush? He can't learn that at the WHL level.

Old
09-20-2013, 07:00 PM
Cor
Me Troll? Never

vCash: 50
Phaneuf - Gunner
Rielly - Ranger
Gardiner - MacWilliam
Liles, Fraser

That's the D I go with TODAY. MacWilliam has been much much better then both Holzer and Fraser.

Old
09-20-2013, 07:05 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

Junior will only teach him bad habits.

He clearly should be in the NHL, and we'd only be delaying his development, and possibly setting it back, by sending him down.

Old
thatshype

Well, among the players that realistically COULD make it, he's still behind Raymond for likelihood to make the team. Among the defencemen alone, he's comfortably ahead of the other 'hopefuls', but not ahead of any of the incumbent NHL d-men. Liles and Gunnarson have probably put up the most lacklustre performances of the NHL D so far, but it's preseason and both are still likely to make the team above Rielly.

If the spot is available, it'll only be because Franson isn't signed. I see us having 5 d-spots locked up already, with the likes of Liles, Rielly, and Brennan realistically competing for the 6th spot. Regardless of who among those three gets the spot initially, Franson will steal it back as soon as he's signed.

Old
BIitz
RIP LL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor99 View Post
Phaneuf - Gunner
Rielly - Ranger
Gardiner - MacWilliam
Liles, Fraser

That's the D I go with TODAY. MacWilliam has been much much better then both Holzer and Fraser.
At this point I'd feel more comfortable with Percy or Fraser than Macwilliam.

Old
09-20-2013, 07:09 PM
Everlong
-

Quote:
Phaneuf - Gunner
Rielly - Ranger
Gardiner - MacWilliam
Liles, Fraser

In a few pre-season games. Make sure you realize what the sample of good play represents. I'd take Fraser over him all day long.

Old
09-20-2013, 07:09 PM
Cor
Me Troll? Never

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIitz View Post
At this point I'd feel more comfortable with Percy or Fraser than Macwilliam.
Percy looked great, so I'd be fine with him in the 6 spot too, however, Fraser hasn't looked good IMO.

We still have another 2 or 3 games before the roster gets set for the final 2 or 3 games anyway.

Old
09-20-2013, 07:10 PM
thatshype

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
Junior will only teach him bad habits.
That COULD be true, but also speaks poorly of the coaches down in the WHL. I don't know anything about Rielly's coaches down in junior (or of the teams he's likely to be traded to), but I assume they are at least capable.

Old
09-20-2013, 07:12 PM
Cor
Me Troll? Never

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
In a few pre-season games. Make sure you realize what the sample of good play represents. I'd take Fraser over him all day long.
Pre-Season games are where you make the team. Raymond has beat out Colborne, and right now, MacWilliam is beating out Fraser.

Like I said in the post above, we still have about 2 or 3 games until the roster is "finalized", so anything can happen still. However, I wouldn't be shocked, nor upset, if MacWilliam is on the opening day roster. Kid is a rock. Don't count him out "because it's just pre-season"

Old
09-20-2013, 07:12 PM
Inconceivable

I was surprised with how well he played physically last night. I'd definately keep him up to start the year.

Gunnar-Phaneuf
Gardiner-Ranger
Rielly-Fraser

Woohoo 6 left handed d-men for Carlyle!

Old
09-20-2013, 07:13 PM
kesleaf

Definitely needs to be playing with the Leafs this season, there's no question about it.

Rielly-Gardiner on the PP will be killer.

Old
09-20-2013, 07:14 PM
Cor
Me Troll? Never

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesleaf View Post
Definitely needs to be playing with the Leafs this season, there's no question about it.

Gardiner-Dion
Rielly-Ranger

Two deadly combo's

Old
09-20-2013, 07:15 PM
Everlong
-

Quote:
Pre-Season games are where you make the team. Raymond has beat out Colborne, and right now, MacWilliam is beating out Fraser.

Like I said in the post above, we still have about 2 or 3 games until the roster is "finalized", so anything can happen still. However, I wouldn't be shocked, nor upset, if MacWilliam is on the opening day roster. Kid is a rock. Don't count him out "because it's just pre-season"
I was impressed with him like any other person who watched. You have to remember he's coming straight out of college. Hasn't played more than 54 games in a season. He played 2 games in pre-season while Fraser has played one and you're using that as the basis for your reasoning? It just doesn't add up in my eyes. Fraser has experience and a quality resume as an nhl regular.

Old
09-20-2013, 07:16 PM
Mr Scarface*

What depth. Not every team has this. So many young guns blazing out there with their mouths wide open. Very interesting to see who'm will Carlyle choose as his soldiers in this war.

It will be easy and loose for them new players to play the game as they have guardians such as Colton Orr, Frazer McLaren, Clarkson, Bolland and others hitting heads down.

Old
09-20-2013, 07:18 PM
samwitch

He's so smooth out there. Really fun to watch. Give him the 9 games for sure and go from there especially if Franson remains unsigned.

Old
09-20-2013, 07:22 PM
Cor
Me Troll? Never

Quote:
I was impressed with him like any other person who watched. You have to remember he's coming straight out of college. Hasn't played more than 54 games in a season. He played 2 games in pre-season while Fraser has played one and you're using that as the basis for your reasoning? It just doesn't add up in my eyes. Fraser has experience and a quality resume as an nhl regular.
Last season was Fraser's first real "FULL" NHL season. He also can no longer be the hitter/fighter he usually is.

All I said, is that MacWilliam has been better then Fraser and Holzer, and as of today, I would slot him in on the sixth slot.

Not too mention, from tweets I have seen, MacWilliam has looked great in the actual camp.

Old
09-20-2013, 07:25 PM
Everlong
-

Quote:
Last season was Fraser's first real "FULL" NHL season. He also can no longer be the hitter/fighter he usually is.
His injury (which from reports is completely healed) doesn't effect him being physical at all. He's wearing a vizor now which helps. Straight from his mouth he said he shouldn't have a problem scrapping.

Anyways, this is a Rielly thread. I'd be glad to continue this elsewhere.

Old
09-20-2013, 07:26 PM
Grant
LL Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesleaf View Post

Had that for a bit in one of the preseason games and it didn't work out that great. Bunch of play making, but no good hard shots from the blue line. Get in the zone with ease though

Old
09-20-2013, 07:26 PM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
Rielly today is better than Schenn was the year he made the Leafs.

Old
09-20-2013, 07:27 PM
Cor
Me Troll? Never

Quote:
His injury doesn't effect him being physical at all. He's wearing a vizor now which helps. Straight from his mouth he said he shouldn't have a problem scrapping.

Anyways, this is a Rielly thread. I'd be glad to continue this elsewhere.
One more shot to his forehead and his career is over. He's said that. He can't risk scrapping.

Going through something like that will always make you more hesitant and more careful.

Closed Thread