HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Morgan Rielly Looks Ready

Closed Thread

Old
09-20-2013, 07:28 PM
thatshype

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor99 View Post
Pre-Season games are where you make the team. Raymond has beat out Colborne, and right now, MacWilliam is beating out Fraser.

Like I said in the post above, we still have about 2 or 3 games until the roster is "finalized", so anything can happen still. However, I wouldn't be shocked, nor upset, if MacWilliam is on the opening day roster. Kid is a rock. Don't count him out "because it's just pre-season"
Except Fraser isn't trying to make the team. He's already made it. It's a given.

MacWilliam/Rielly/Brennan are competing with Liles for the 6th spot. Liles also has a huge, huge advantage to earn the spot, so whoever unseats him needs to really make it obvious.

Old
09-20-2013, 07:31 PM
thatshype

Quote:
One more shot to his forehead and his career is over. He's said that. He can't risk scrapping.

Going through something like that will always make you more hesitant and more careful.
A guy can be tough and physical and intimidating and still not fight, you know. How many times did Pronger fight?

Fraser can still do his job as a bruiser and not fight. He said he's willing to go if need be, and that's what counts. He won't fight nearly as much, but he's going to be a good d-man for the leafs this year.

Old
09-20-2013, 07:32 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatshype View Post
That COULD be true, but also speaks poorly of the coaches down in the WHL. I don't know anything about Rielly's coaches down in junior (or of the teams he's likely to be traded to), but I assume they are at least capable.
not really the coaches fault.

it's just that with his skating and skills he can cheat all day long in junior and never get burned for it. He can recover from any mistake or failed gamble down there. It just teaches him bad habits.

Old
09-20-2013, 07:36 PM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

Rielly himself said he isn't 100% comfortable playing in the NHL, and this is during the preseason without full NHL rosters. I agree with him, I don't think he looks good enough to play a full season, so why keep him up this year? There's a hell of a lot better chance of him regressing in the NHL than in junior. If he isn't 100% confident in his game he should be sent back down to play in the WJC, then most likely be traded to a Memorial Cup contender. A nice long playoff run in a league he can dominate would be great for his confidence and development. He can work on little things like quarterbacking a PP and improving his shot from the point. This even opens up the opportunity for a smooth transition to the AHL next year if he needs it. I know he had some time with the Marlies last season, but this time around he would be their #1 with full playing time in all situations.

Old
09-20-2013, 07:41 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
Rielly himself said he isn't 100% comfortable playing in the NHL, and this is during the preseason without full NHL rosters. I agree with him, I don't think he looks good enough to play a full season, so why keep him up this year? There's a hell of a lot better chance of him regressing in the NHL than in junior. If he isn't 100% confident in his game he should be sent back down to play in the WJC, then most likely be traded to a Memorial Cup contender. A nice long playoff run in a league he can dominate would be great for his confidence and development. He can work on little things like quarterbacking a PP and improving his shot from the point. This even opens up the opportunity for a smooth transition to the AHL next year if he needs it. I know he had some time with the Marlies last season, but this time around he would be their #1 with full playing time in all situations.
Don't have to be in junior to play in the WJC. NHL teams can allow eligible players to go.

Old
09-20-2013, 07:43 PM
dballislife2

its so stupid if people dont look at his age and just at his current skill level and productivity he makes the team for sure...elite skater already, great passing and moving the puck, works hard, strong enough, and that shot is legit

Old
09-20-2013, 07:44 PM
Gutchecktime

Quote:
That COULD be true, but also speaks poorly of the coaches down in the WHL. I don't know anything about Rielly's coaches down in junior (or of the teams he's likely to be traded to), but I assume they are at least capable.
The habits would have nothing to do with the coaches.

The habits would come because Rielly is faster and stronger than nearly all of his WHL opponents and because of this, he'll be able to take chances he wouldn't be able to get away with at the professional level. I agree with the poster from earlier - he has more to learn in 14-16 minutes at the NHL level than 25+ in junior.

Old
09-20-2013, 07:45 PM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Don't have to be in junior to play in the WJC. NHL teams can allow eligible players to go.
Sure, but if the Leafs are willing to allow Rielly to leave for the WJC's chances are he's not making much of an impact in the NHL. If this is the case i'd rather have him in the WHL for the season.

The only way I want Rielly on the team is if he's able to put together a Gardiner-like rookie season, and I just don't see that type of confidence in his game right now.

Old
thatshype

Quote:
Do you have a link for this? Not doubting you, just want to hear it from the horse's mouth.

Old
Gutchecktime

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post

it's just that with his skating and skills he can cheat all day long in junior and never get burned for it. He can recover from any mistake or failed gamble down there. It just teaches him bad habits.
+1

So much this.

Old
09-20-2013, 07:47 PM
Everlong
JoeyBats

Quote:
Do you have a link for this? Not doubting you, just want to hear it from the horse's mouth.
It was more typical of a rookie paying respect to the situation.
"I still have alot to learn etc etc"

Old
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
Thing about going back to junior:

Literally, a 3rd line NHLer is far better than any player he would face in junior. And he has shown that he can handle 3rd liners...so what exactly would he learn in junior?

Old
thatshype

Quote:

That's a good point. *nod

Old
09-20-2013, 07:48 PM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

vCash: 274
Cox agrees...

http://read.thestar.com/?origref=?or...eaf-roster-cox

He has more games to play. I think he's just getting started. If he makes it impossible to send him down, then great. I look forward to watching him play.

Old
09-20-2013, 07:48 PM
thatshype

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
It was more typical of a rookie paying respect to the situation.
"I still have alot to learn etc etc"
My suspicions exactly. No true competitor would admit he's not good enough.

Old
09-20-2013, 07:54 PM
veedubn1

Quote:

The kid is too mature to not realize he's being watched every game down there in Junior.

Maybe a guy like Naz would have gone back and had bad habits.. but not Morgan.

Old
09-20-2013, 07:57 PM
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutchecktime View Post
The habits would have nothing to do with the coaches.

The habits would come because Rielly is faster and stronger than nearly all of his WHL opponents and because of this, he'll be able to take chances he wouldn't be able to get away with at the professional level. I agree with the poster from earlier - he has more to learn in 14-16 minutes at the NHL level than 25+ in junior.
if rielly were to develop bad habits by playing junior hockey this season, he'd lose those bad habits again after a week or two playing pro hockey again. not an issue.

Old
09-20-2013, 07:59 PM
thatshype

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedubn1 View Post
The kid is too mature to not realize he's being watched every game down there in Junior.

ehhhhhhhhh, I don't know if it's safe for fans for start making judgement calls on player personalities. As fans we only see the interviews the media shows us, which is a horrendous situation for a young athlete to be in. The true fact of the matter is that we know absolutely NOTHING about our players as people. We can make certain extrapolations based on what the player or the team's PR department allows us to see, but those are extreme and very skeptical. Let's keep personality differences out of the discussion because as fans we know nothing.

Old
Drew311
Catch The Taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazem Gretzky View Post
Thing about going back to junior:

Literally, a 3rd line NHLer is far better than any player he would face in junior. And he has shown that he can handle 3rd liners...so what exactly would he learn in junior?
He would be given the chance to work on the unpolished aspects of his game like I mentioned previously. Contrary to the belief around here, Rielly isn't the perfect player and still needs to improve considering how young he is. Sure his skaing and passing is excellent, but it takes a hell of a lot more to succeed at the NHL level.

The better question is what harm will be done by sending him back? Will the Leafs be a measurably worse team without him? Is the chance of him regressing better if he is sent back to junior? I think the answer to both of these questions is no.

This is going to be a very high pressure season for the Leafs, as they're finally competitive again which brings high expectations. Factor in the intense media scrutiny and the **** show that will be the HBO 24-7 production, I just don't think this is the right year to expect Rielly to actually develop correctly in the NHL.

Old
Gutchecktime

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedubn1 View Post

People are having a really hard time with this concept, it seems.

It's not a conscious thing - it's a simple reality of the situation that if you have an offensively gifted defenseman that can use his speed to jump into the play successfully against inferior opponents, he's going to do it every time. We're not talking "bad habits" as in laziness here. We're talking about him being able to take advantage of junior players.

Old
09-20-2013, 08:01 PM
Gutchecktime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
if rielly were to develop bad habits by playing junior hockey this season, he'd lose those bad habits again after a week or two playing pro hockey again. not an issue.
What is this - I don't even...

Eventually the kid is going to have to adjust to playing at the professional level against stronger and faster players. That adjustment doesn't happen in a week. Why prolong it for a year?

Old
09-20-2013, 08:05 PM
KuleminFan41

If Rielly is good enough to make the team and is a legit defencemen , he wont be playing 14 minutes a game.

Old
09-20-2013, 08:05 PM
Gutchecktime

Quote:
He would be given the chance to work on the unpolished aspects of his game like I mentioned previously. Contrary to the belief around here, Rielly isn't the perfect player and still needs to improve considering how young he is. Sure his skaing and passing is excellent, but it takes a hell of a lot more to succeed at the NHL level.

The better question is what harm will be done by sending him back? Will the Leafs be a measurably worse team without him? Is the chance of him regressing better if he is sent back to junior? I think the answer to both of these questions is no.

This is going to be a very high pressure season for the Leafs, as they're finally competitive again which brings high expectations. Factor in the intense media scrutiny and the **** show that will be the HBO 24-7 production, I just don't think this is the right year to expect Rielly to actually develop correctly in the NHL.
You guys realize that Rielly will still make mistakes whether he's a rookie this year or next year right?

I really feel like this is the problem with many Leaf fans. They preach patience but patience isn't just "Let's keep this player somewhere else until he's perfect and doesn't make mistakes!".

No one who is advocating keeping Rielly thinks he's perfect or can't improve. They just think he stands to learn the most at the NHL level.

Old
09-20-2013, 08:07 PM
Everlong
JoeyBats

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuleminFan41 View Post
If Rielly is good enough to make the team and is a legit defencemen , he wont be playing 14 minutes a game.
As in he'll be playing more? I highly doubt that. There will be a learning curve he'll have to combat. He'll bounce in and out of the lineup for a while.

Old
09-20-2013, 08:07 PM
veedubn1

Quote:
One more shot to his forehead and his career is over. He's said that. He can't risk scrapping.

Going through something like that will always make you more hesitant and more careful.
Uhhhh... he said what?

Mark Fraser:

Quote:
He fights for the Leafs, nine times last year. He knows the code. He knows that most fighters mutually agree not to wear facial protection, and he willingly embraced that code.
Now, he can’t.
“No, I don’t have a choice any more,” he said.
Which means his fighting career is now over?
“I can still fight,” he said.
But why?
“To keep my job in this league and on this team,” he stated matter-of-factly. “Although I like to believe I’m an asset and my role extends beyond just fighting, it’s part of my game.
“I should be fine with it. The bone is strong again. As long as I don’t take a puck to the face I’ll be fine.”

Closed Thread