HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Flyers sign Matt Read to extension [4 years, $3.625M AAV]

Old
09-20-2013, 11:16 PM
duxfan8

vCash: 500
Wow. Maybe 3 yrs at 3 mil per, but 3.625 for 4 years is going to look pretty bad in a few years when the league has figured him out.

duxfan8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 11:17 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Put him on the free agent market and he probably gets 5 million a year. Very happy to lock him up at that number.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 11:23 PM
SchennSational1022*

Quote:
Originally Posted by duxfan8 View Post
Wow. Maybe 3 yrs at 3 mil per, but 3.625 for 4 years is going to look pretty bad in a few years when the league has figured him out.
This is hysterical, thanks for making my night. What a joke.

The Flyers have been in supposed cap trouble since 2008 I thought? You people need to learn and do some research before making such baseless comments, we are FINE cap wise. Ive been hearing this for 6 years, the only cap casualty deal weve made was Upshall, and if it wasnt for his questionable off ice personality, he still wouldnt have been dealt.

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 11:23 PM
NHLAlert
@nhl_alert

Quote:
Oh really, what is it that they need to figure out? It's pretty obvious what kind of player Matt read is. Other teams dont have to go out and hire a private investigator to try and stop Matt read.

Boyd Gordon who is no comparison at all to Matt Read got 3mil/year 3 years. Matt Read is worth a heck of a lot more than him

NHLAlert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 11:25 PM
vwg*

At first, this kinda looks like an overpayment but in a year or two, I think it'll be seen as a pretty good deal. Still though, it's probably a little more than the Flyers can really afford... it's not like they're lacking forward options in the first place.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 11:26 PM
jarmoismyhero

What's the deal with Read not making it to NHL till age of 25? Just seems odd for such a good versatile top 6-9 forward to wait so long. I only ask cause I did not follow him coming up.

jarmoismyhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 11:28 PM
ScoreZeGoals
Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLAlert View Post
Oh really, what is it that they need to figure out? It's pretty obvious what kind of player Matt read is. Other teams dont have to go out and hire a private investigator to try and stop Matt read.

Boyd Gordon who is no comparison at all to Matt Read got 3mil/year 3 years. Matt Read is worth a heck of a lot more than him
Boyd Gordon got that contract because Edmonton has to overpay to get people to go there, not exactly a fair comparison

ScoreZeGoals is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 11:28 PM
NHLAlert
@nhl_alert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarmoismyhero View Post
What's the deal with Read not making it to NHL till age of 25? Just seems odd for such a good versatile top 6-9 forward to wait so long. I only ask cause I did not follow him coming up.
He played four years and Bemidji State. Not sure why he waited so long to sign though, I think he wanted to finish his degree. Supposedly teams were going after him during his sophomore year in college and he knew he was going to sign wih they flyers his junior year but waited to finish

Old
09-20-2013, 11:29 PM
SchennSational1022*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwg View Post
At first, this kinda looks like an overpayment but in a year or two, I think it'll be seen as a pretty good deal. Still though, it's probably a little more than the Flyers can really afford... it's not like they're lacking forward options in the first place.
How is it an overpayment for a guy who plays in literally ALL situations, scores 50 points and is an UFA to be? 3.65? I honestly hope you are joking.

Old
09-20-2013, 11:30 PM
vwg*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarmoismyhero View Post
He played out his junior eligibility until he went to college. He then played all 4 years of college before signing with the Flyers as a UFA. Classic definition of a late bloomer.

Old
09-20-2013, 11:30 PM
NHLAlert
@nhl_alert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoreZeGoals View Post
Boyd Gordon got that contract because Edmonton has to overpay to get people to go there, not exactly a fair comparison
You have a point. It's a players market regardless, he would have gotten that money plus some from another team

Old
09-20-2013, 11:31 PM
vwg*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenbergg View Post
How is it an overpayment for a guy who plays in literally ALL situations, scores 50 points and is an UFA to be? 3.65? I honestly hope you are joking.
I honestly hope you can read. I said at first it looks like an overpayment, not that it was one. Sorry that the slightest negative opinion of the signing hurts your feelings.

Old
09-20-2013, 11:33 PM
SchennSational1022*

Quote:
I honestly hope you can read. I said at first it looks like an overpayment, not that it was one. Sorry that the slightest negative opinion of the signing hurts your feelings.
The thing is that absolutely nothing at any point of this deal screams overpayment. Hes already a 50 point player playing on the 3rd line with minimal PP time. Not to mention that hes probably our best defensive forward besides Couturier.

Old
09-20-2013, 11:36 PM
vwg*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenbergg View Post
The thing is that absolutely nothing at any point of this deal screams overpayment. Hes already a 50 point player playing on the 3rd line with minimal PP time. Not to mention that hes probably our best defensive forward besides Couturier.
He just has less of a track record than most UFAs who get this kind of contract. That's all I'm saying.

I'm the biggest non-Flyer fan Read homer there is to be honest. I've followed him since he played in the Frozen Four at Bemidji State, and I've advocated on HFboards numerous times for my team to trade for him.

That said, there's still some risk with this signing. But it's not bad by any means.

Old
ScoreZeGoals
Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLAlert View Post
You have a point. It's a players market regardless, he would have gotten that money plus some from another team
True, I think he gets about 4.25-4.5 on the open market. While I think the contract is good, I'm still not sure if it was right for the Flyers to resign him unless they make some moves next offseason

ScoreZeGoals is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
StoneHands

vCash: 2425
Quote:
When did Matt Read become a goalie or one dimensional forward that teams game plan against? He plays an effective role because he's smart, really quick, and never stops moving.

What's to figure out, anyway? It's not like this is The Mighty Ducks and Julie the Cat is going to study his breakaway moves rendering him utterly useless.

I have to be honest, this is one of the most ******** posts I may have ever seen here. Bickel just got $4m over 4 years because he was good in the playoffs, yet Read's been good for 2 years and plays well in every position and in every situation and gets less and all the sudden he's going to be figured out? I hope teams start game planning for Read so Giroux, Voracek, Lecavalier, etc can shred them to pieces while their following Read around waiting to stop his triple deke.

Last edited by StoneHands: 09-20-2013 at 11:47 PM.
StoneHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 11:38 PM
SchennSational1022*

Quote:
He just has less of a track record than most UFAs who get this kind of contract. That's all I'm saying.

I'm the biggest non-Flyer fan Read homer there is to be honest. I've followed him since he played in the Frozen Four at Bemidji State, and I've advocated on HFboards numerous times for my team to trade for him.

That said, there's still some risk with this signing. But it's not bad by any means.
Like who, Clarkson, Clowe, Bickell? Those contracts are ridiculous. You seem to know a lot about Read but I really dont see any risk in this signing at all. Read is what he is, and 3.65 is a GREAT number after the contracts weve been seeing lately.

Old
09-20-2013, 11:39 PM
NHLAlert
@nhl_alert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoreZeGoals View Post
True, I think he gets about 4.25-4.5 on the open market. While I think the contract is good, I'm still not sure if it was right for the Flyers to resign him unless they make some moves next offseason
It wouldn't be an offseason without the flyers making some kind of move. Espicially with the draft in Philly this year, flyers fans better be ready

Old
09-20-2013, 11:50 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

I just want to apologize to any NJD fans to whom I've made a trap reference. I now understand how annoying that is.

ITT: Flyers are in cap hell, this deal is good/ok/bad.

In regards to the cap, no, seriously, we're fine. We're always fine and will always be fine.

Read...I don't know how people can chastise this deal with what's transpired this offseason. I'm sure there are quite a few players signed this offseason at a higher cap hit people would rather have Read over. Read is a great two way player who is extremely versatile, plays hard, and has a good hockey sense. This is not going to bite the Flyers in a few years, it isn't a bad deal, just stop.

JohnnyOnTheSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 12:15 AM
NeedleInTheHay

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyOnTheSpot View Post
In regards to the cap, no, seriously, we're fine. We're always fine and will always be fine.
Only because of the assine rules placed in the new CBA that allowed them to buy out two huge mistakes, how would the team be looking this year if Briere and Bryzgalov were still on the roster?

NeedleInTheHay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 12:22 AM
Roland of Gilead
The Gunslinger

vCash: 580
Great deal!

Roland of Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 12:28 AM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdjn18 View Post
Cap hit seems alright depends on term. To me he always seemed like one of those players that could fall off in a couple years.
too much of that god awful rolling rock in latrobe, pa it seems

meh cap hit seems alright...

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 12:36 AM
King Forsberg
16 21 28 44 68 88 93

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedleInTheHay View Post
Only because of the assine rules placed in the new CBA that allowed them to buy out two huge mistakes, how would the team be looking this year if Briere and Bryzgalov were still on the roster?
Does it really matter? Even if it was the old CBA, they could have waived Bryzgalov and eaten his Caphit. There is always a way to shed cap space and the Flyers always figure it out. Believe it or not the Flyers do have people that are smarter than us when it comes to this stuff

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 12:46 AM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedleInTheHay View Post
is the gm of your team too stupid to dump a bad contract or two? or can't they afford it? I get it the Flyers are the Yankees and you're a Royals fan.

The rule is only asinine from your point of view

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 12:48 AM
Bubbles
Tank for Tyler2016

A guy getting paid exactly for what he's worth. A rarity in today's NHL.

Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote