HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Michael McCarron = Blake Wheeler

Closed Thread

Old
09-21-2013, 04:24 AM
Estimated_Prophet

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanokovich View Post
McCarron = Tim kerr
Kerr's hands would be nice but his feet were painfully slow.....

Old
09-21-2013, 05:44 AM
BrimStone64

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockjngo View Post
I see some resemblance. However I think Wheeler is a better skating but McCarron is more physical.
Reminded me more of Dustin Penner

Old
09-21-2013, 06:15 AM
De Montreal
help

i see a lot of byron dafoe in his game

Old
09-21-2013, 06:38 AM
Canada180

Rough crowd in here.

I don't know who he compares to right now. There isn't a single 18 yr old in the planet who possesses his combination of skills.

We will have to wait I guess to see how he evolves. Imagine what we will have when he picks up a little more footspeed( and oh yeah, he will) in the next couple of years.

This kid has awareness on the ice that you cant teach, its just there.

We have a beast in our midst and I cant wait till the mark of the beast...666 is made

Now that's a jersey number to instill fear lol

Old
09-21-2013, 07:29 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

I think that Keith Primeau is a great comparison....if we REALLY have to compare him. Primeau improved his skating as his career progressed, was pretty tough guy to play against based on talent, size and physicality, not exactly the best fighter, not bad either though on this one...it didn't exactly end well. Fought a better fighter the younger ones around here should watch and see....hint....he's NOW a Habs fan.

Old
09-21-2013, 07:51 AM
LeMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
There should be a limit to how stupid a post should be before we send SWAT to your mama's basement or something...
This is not a stupid post, and I wasn't comparing at all their upsides, but right now, McCarron and Blunden are really similar players. Great size and speed, both are pretty intense and physical players.

Now McCarron already has a better shot, better hands and better hockey sense. I really think McCaron is a good pick, but right now he's much more similar to Blunden than Wheeler or Primeau, the first one basing his game purely around skill and the latter was pretty slow, not too skilled, but extremely intense, agressive and had was a top notch defensive player.

Old
09-21-2013, 08:03 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
This is not a stupid post, and I wasn't comparing at all their upsides, but right now, McCarron and Blunden are really similar players. Great size and speed, both are pretty intense and physical players.

Now McCarron already has a better shot, better hands and better hockey sense. I really think McCaron is a good pick, but right now he's much more similar to Blunden than Wheeler or Primeau, the first one basing his game purely around skill and the latter was pretty slow, not too skilled, but extremely intense, agressive and had was a top notch defensive player.
Primeau for being not too skilled still racked up some 25+goals per year quite a few times. And while he was a good defensive player, people underestimate McCarron ability to also be a complete player. Something which will be known as his career progresses. And the aggressivity, well it comes with experience and not being too shy as, also, your career progresses.

Last edited by Whitesnake: 09-21-2013 at 08:10 AM.
Old
09-21-2013, 08:51 AM
Mr. Hab

<Malone
<Bickell
<Wheeler
<Brian Boyle
<Lucic
<K.Primeau
<Better version of Brett Lindros!!
<Better version of Blunden!

Love comparisons...it's all for fun!!
(don't take it too seriously...you'll give yourself a heart-attack!).

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 09-21-2013 at 08:57 AM.
Old
09-21-2013, 09:19 AM
BrimStone64

Hope McCarron can fight. As we seen with Komisarek, just because you are big and can bench press a ton weight don't mean you can fight. Hope he doesn't turtle like Komisarek did if McCarron gets beat.

Old
09-21-2013, 09:26 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I think that Keith Primeau is a great comparison....if we REALLY have to compare him. Primeau improved his skating as his career progressed, was pretty tough guy to play against based on talent, size and physicality, not exactly the best fighter...
Just chiming in to say that I don't think the Primeau comparison is bad, either. But...

Quote:
Primeau for being not too skilled still racked up some 25+goals per year quite a few times.
Primeau was quite skilled actually. Scoring a bajillion points in the OHL in his draft year led him to go 3rd overall, after all. Had a role to play on those Detroit squads, and it wasn't often as a scoring member of the top 6 (note that he did play a lot on the PP, though).

Old
09-21-2013, 10:04 AM
Grant McCagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Just chiming in to say that I don't think the Primeau comparison is bad, either. But...

Primeau was quite skilled actually. Scoring a bajillion points in the OHL in his draft year led him to go 3rd overall, after all. Had a role to play on those Detroit squads, and it wasn't often as a scoring member of the top 6 (note that he did play a lot on the PP, though).
Agreed. He led the OHL in scoring in his draft year IIRC. Primeau is a lofty comparison, and as you know I'm a Mac fan.

Old
09-21-2013, 10:25 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Which is what I'm saying...not sure what your point is. It's LeMad who said that he wasn't too skilled...I said that for a not-too-skilled players, he racked up the points in his days. Was irony.

I mean, there are no comparisons that will ever exist with the idea of comparing a player to an EXACT type of player. The other players will either be too skilled, tougher, more defensively oriented and all....McCarron to be is a Primeau based on the possibility that he ends up using his size, his skills and the way he skates and improves his skating. Of course, Primeau was an offensive stud in his draft year which McCarron wasn't. But in the end, what count the most is how they end up doing in the NHL. Primeau was a Lindros in Juniors. Did he develop into a Lindros in the NHL? No. Primeau wasn't a 40-goal scorer in the NHL, he perfected his art so that he ended up a complete player with 25-30 goals in bank. I'd take that player any freakin day of the week. And McCarron has in him to develop into this. Might be the biggest upside....but he can achieve. Will he? How am I suppose to know this...not even sure if he knows....

Old
09-21-2013, 10:34 AM
calder candidate

Bickell - McCarron will be a better play maker

Wheeler as way better speed and hands hopefully McCarron will developpe better offensive awareness and physical play which ultimately might make him more effective player

K.Primeau - was drafted 3rd overall ahead of Jagr, McCarron just doesn't have the same offensive skills.

Blunden as better speed but he is a 4th line player, McCarron will likely be a top 6 or very good 3rd liner

Old
09-21-2013, 10:37 AM
Dagistitsyn

They're the same size / build I guess. That's about it so far.

Old
09-21-2013, 10:42 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Which is what I'm saying...not sure what your point is. It's LeMad who said that he wasn't too skilled...I said that for a not-too-skilled players, he racked up the points in his days. Was irony.
Don't know what your point is. I was agreeing with you and fleshing out the reasons. Don't be so defensive, lol.

Old
09-21-2013, 10:48 AM
samsagat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24get View Post
Seems to me that McCarron is ahead of Wheeler in his development.
He is also more physical than Wheeler.
Both have the same height but McCarron is already 32 lbs heavier than Wheeler.

The real question I have about McCarron is his lower body.
For a guy of his size, he is pretty easy to know down.
If he can get more strength/flexibility in his lower body he will become a real Power forward.

I really like what I see. He will play in NHL for sure.
We just need to wait to see how he develop.
With a player of his size, it takes longer to see the real value.
On draft day, he mentionned it: his legs strenght was something he had to work on..

He already knows his area of concerns, wich is a sign of smartness...

Anyway, I was pleased with his hockey IQ, I was a bit suspicious about that...

A great pick for the habs..

Old
09-21-2013, 10:55 AM
CaptainBenn
The king is back

Wtf is going on in this thread

Old
09-21-2013, 11:10 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Don't know what your point is. I was agreeing with you and fleshing out the reasons. Don't be so defensive, lol.
First phrase ended up with "but...." and then you stated Primeau was quite skilled actually. So for me it means "Well Primeau is much more skilled than McCarron could be" thinking I'd say that he wasn't skilled....Anyway, you get the point....

Defensive? That's my middle name. You should know that by now.

Old
09-21-2013, 11:15 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
First phrase ended up with "but...." and then you stated Primeau was quite skilled actually. So for me it means "Well Primeau is much more skilled than McCarron could be" thinking I'd say that he wasn't skilled....Anyway, you get the point....

Defensive? That's my middle name. You should know that by now.
Sorry, I just meant to imply that Primeau should probably be considered the "higher-skilled" player between the two.

Old
09-21-2013, 11:34 AM
No Team Needed

McCarron reminds me of Hemingway, maybe not as good of a fighter.

Old
09-21-2013, 11:38 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
Dany Dubé compared him to Keith Primeau.

No broom handle, as long as he stays healthy.
Primeau with less offense is how I compare McCarron despite not being a fan of comparing prospects to NHLers.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...carron&page=26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanToews19clutc View Post
Michael McCarron reminds me of Blake Wheeler.
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I envision something along the lines of a keith primeau with less offense.

Old
09-21-2013, 12:13 PM
Dekar

Michael McCarron = Caron McMichael

That makes as much sense as anything else in here.

Seriously though, you can see he's going to be a great offensive forward, but he really needs to learn to use his size better. He's shown flashes of it, but he's a bit off-balance at times when being confronted physically, whereas he should be the solidly-grounded initiator most of the time.

Old
09-21-2013, 01:44 PM
ChoseLa

Danny Dubé said that Primeau was given skating excercisse when he came into the league to strenghten his legs and better his skating, the coaches were monitoring him.

Old
09-21-2013, 02:02 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Please, stop making threads.

There's a Mccarron thread for anyone who wants to discuss him.

Closed Thread