HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shutouts all around- Habs beat Canes 6-0

Old
09-21-2013, 12:54 AM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Bourque-Plek-Gionta
Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher
Galchenyuk-Eller-Briere
Moen-Bournival-Prust

Only issue is that they are grooming Bournival to be a winger.

Rise from the Ashes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 01:03 AM
jedimyrmidon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise from the Ashes View Post
Bourque-Plek-Gionta
Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher
Galchenyuk-Eller-Briere
Moen-Bournival-Prust

Only issue is that they are grooming Bournival to be a winger.
If Bournival turns out to be a guy like Daniel Paille, I think I would be very happy. If he turns out even better, well, that'd be awesome.

jedimyrmidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 01:13 AM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

Just finished catching up to the game (I was working till 9:30).

Well my first thought is that the Hurricanes are in for a long season if Cam Ward keeps being this shaky and their defense doesn't get their **** together. They're slow, they're soft on the puck and they keep turning it over (Komisarek LOL). They'd make Michel Therrien's defensive squad of 2003-2004 proud...

Random notes:

* Desharnais was flying out there tonight. He was showing some nice vision with quick passes and even showed some nice dangles (including a nice toe drag in the third).Smart play to throw it on net on his goal. He wasn't pushed around either. If he plays like that every night I will shut up. But let's pretend that facing a team like the Hurricanes is not ideal for a player like DD, they don't hit and they don't have the most mobile group...

* Pacioretty was playing the white, uh I mean right way. He was aggressive on the puck, was forechecking a lot, showed his speed (and drove to the net most importantly), was shooting the puck and was winning his battles in the corners.

* Bournival was a monster again, he was Darren Helm-lite. He was finishing his checks, he was beating defender to the puck every time and he was getting pucks to the net. Him and Holland showed nice chemistry tonight and it showed that they played a lot last year in Hamilton. Most pleasant surprise so far in the camp.

* Dumont, most noticeable he's been during training camp. I wish he'd take a page from Bournival's book and be more physical though. He made some really smart plays in the offensive zone but he was pretty unlucky tonight. He got robbed by Ward after he tried burying a rebound caused by a Dietz shot. He also set up Tarnasky for a chance alone in front of the goalie but he pulled an Armstrong and missed the puck.

* Tarnasky, is this year's Stortini for the Bulldogs I know Westgarth is no easy customer but come on, he got embarassed there.

* Dietz, was pretty solid. Showed some nice wristers.

* Nygren, didn't do anything stupid in his own end, seems more physical than Diaz. Made an amazing saucer pass to Prust on the Galchenyuk's goal.

* Galchenyuk, pretty quiet but solid night for him. Was winning faceoffs and was imposing himself physically.

* Holland, does the little plays right defensively (wasted time on the PK or blocks shots). Was forcing his passes a bit too much in the first period when he kept doing passes to nobody from his own end. Picked the pace though and had some nice set ups including a nice give and go with Bournival that created a goal. Also made a nice pass to McCarron who hit the post. Has to work badly on his faceoffs though.

* McCarron, nice drive to the net on his chance that hit the post. Had a pretty quiet night. It's pretty obvious for a kid of his age but he has to get more balance/muscle because he was having difficulty knocking over Dalpe and Palushaj in the first.

* Tinordi, quiet night for him, was himself.

* I paid close attention to Pateryn this game because I feel I haven't had a proper evaluation of his game yet. He had an on and off game but I think more bad outweighted the good he did. I paid close attention to him this game because I feel I haven't had a proper evaluation of his game yet. He showed nice awareness on the goal he scored, he kept the puck in and came in at the right time for a one timer that went over Ward's blocker. He also had another decent one timer that went to the net later during the game. He made a good play when Tinordi had no stick to block the passing lane and intercept/clear his zone but moments later a Hurricane deked around him and got a good scoring chance, right after that he pulled a Campoli and ****ed up on his clearance that resulted in more time spent in their own end instead of being able to switch the unit. He had a solid hit on Ruutu in the offensive zone. He lost a battle behind the net and fell which resulted in a good chance for Carolina. He had a bad turnover that resulted in an interception and an odd man rush for Carolina. He did a bad giveaway in the Neutral Zone on a breakout pass that was intercepted which resulted in another odd man rush and he followed the man coming down the wing instead of paying attention to the forward breaking in for a pass in front of the net. Not the best game defensively for a guy who's supposed to be solid in his own end.

* Thomas, tried to be too nice with the puck which resulted in many turnovers. Showed some nice hands but couldn't get a shot off everytime. He did make one nice pass to Nygren on the PP who fanned for the one timer.

* Collberg, had a good shot on Desharnais' goal but that's about it.

I would cut: Thomas, Collberg, McCarron, Tarnasky, St-Pierre, Dietz and Nygren for the next wave of cuts.

Hope some of you appreciated my observations.

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 01:32 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxHabs24 View Post
Galchenyuk was perfect tonight IMO. He was like a 3rd defenceman out there, all he cared about was defence, probably face-offs too. Too bad Thomas just skates and shoots.
Thought that was hockey?

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 03:05 AM
dreamingofdrouin*

Where can i watch a re-run of this?...missed this one.

dreamingofdrouin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 03:23 AM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
I can't believe Komisarek has become a fringe AHLer.
I can.

McSorleyStick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 06:40 AM
dcyhabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by impudent_lowlife View Post
Markov made Komisarek a rich man. Hopefully he invested well.
Markov would not be able to make last night's Komisarek rich. Lots of turnovers, few takeaways. He couldn't do anything.

I didn't like Thomas' passing last night.

The Hurricanes looked really bad.

Nygren had a couple of nice passes.

dcyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 07:12 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

- Not surprised one bit by how Bournival is playing right now....always thought he had that in him. For me though, Bournival has to be a centerman. So that adds to the Centermen issue we have and will be having for the future. Didn't like the fact that we were getting rid of a big d-man, but when the trade happened, I did say if it was to get Bournival....it was a fine trade.
- Most surprising thing for me it's how Dumont faded of this planet....that I didn't expect. Reached his plateau already? Remains to be seen.
- At 18 year old, what you need to see from a kid are flashes. And you CLEARLY saw it from McCarron. Honestly can't wait in 2 years.
- Collberg is going back to Sweden where he will have to learn how to implicate himself in the play but don't be surprised if next year, he still needs more seasoning in the AHL to learn the NA pro game....reason why I had wish he'd be with the Dogs this year. It's all great to see him learn in a great pro Swedish league, yet, the game is different. But give the guy a freakin slack, from not being used a lot last year, to being injured, to playing on a much bigger ice surface, with a different brand of hockey....there is a limit a kid can do. He has no AHL/NHL experience like most of them have right now....
- Thomas....well you know what I think. AHL bound, we'll see in a couple of months.
- Tarnasky is incredibly dissapionting, not only for his fight, but for his lack of "truculence"....Didn't seem really involve out there and clearly doesn't realize that he could be recalled based on what he's suppose to bring to a team.
- Dietz is a favorite of mine. Will need to work on his first steps, those are too slow for the NHL. Agility included. But his intentions were great to see yesterday, kid got cut a first time, came back and it's really as if he'd never left.
- Liked Nygren better already, shows that we need patience to evaluate a kid. This guy is an incredible passer. Puck movement from the back end with him in it, will be much better.
- Pateryn and Tinordi: Somehow lately, those 2 go together. Solid and effective. Despite Greg's really bad pass in his zone, you have to love how he reads plays. Somehow looked much better with his hockey sense than he was before and that's pretty awesome to see. Will always be a question of speed with those 2, mostly agility and first steps like Dietz, so they'll have to work with this. But I'd have no problem seeing both of them in my lineup at least until the vets come back.
- Lastly, I do have to say that the players that impressed me most was Holland. First, 'cause to this day, still believe that the kid will never be a NHL'er. But the guy transformed his play and does what it takes to be notice. Do have a high hockey sense IQ and what he can't do physically, he does it "intellectually". You still expect him to show some offensive despite his new defensive role and then he goes on and distribute the puck really nicely. He probably had more time to do it as the Canes were awful in their defensive pressure, but he's showing progression, and that's what you want to see. I have no doubts that he'll improve his stats in the AHL so we'll see how it evolves. Still not convinced entirely of his potential....but it's getting better.

On a "negative" note....I really can't wait if you keep or cut players on merit. We all know that Bluden would make a great 13th forward, great 'cause you don't have to play him regularly, and you also couldn't care less if he plays in the AHL as he'd done progressing and don't need the playing time.....but he's so invisible and doesn't show any type of willingness to do his role. I'd cut him and send him down.....but we'll see how they see this.

Last edited by Whitesnake: 09-21-2013 at 07:57 AM.
Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 08:09 AM
Lshap

Gotta wonder if Bournival is playing on pure adrenaline or if he can remain as committed to every shift as we've seen in two games. If his mental focus is for real, he'll force the Habs into a tough decision. There's no room on the roster now, but it'll take the smallest excuse to bring him up for regular games.

McCarron is impressing me with his smart mental game. He knows what to do and where to be. Ironically, one of the weaker parts of his game is how he uses his body. Once he figures out how to propel that gigantic frame... wow!

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 08:18 AM
Dagistitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBusiness View Post
According to Gagnon Dietz is a menace to Beaulieu....
Huh?

Dagistitsyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 08:22 AM
PhysicX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toshio View Post
Lmao. I hated that guy.
Hahaha hate is a strong word buddy.

PhysicX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 08:28 AM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

I would keep Bournival and let him battle with White and Moen for the final two spots in the top 12.

ChuckyToGally is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 08:38 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
Just a few comments on previous posters

I disagree that Thomas was bad. Thomas was okay. He even had some flashes of good. I like his wheels and effort, so I'm willing to be patient with him, as he is only 21 years old. Progression in the next couple seasons is crucial for him, and will determine if he will be an nhler, or another aaron palushaj.

Holland seems to be a smart, low risk player. I don't if that will equate into an nhl career, but I feel very comfortable that Holland will make the safe play with the puck. In some sense, he reminds me of Tom Pyatt.

On another note, its almost sad to see what has become of komisarek. The decline has been incredibly steep from 2009 onwards.

I agree with your post and especially the Thomas comments.

I'd like to add:

Bournival is ahead of all the prospects to win a spot.

Collberg... Is nowhere near to being ready.

What the H has happened to Dumont?

I think Pateryn is ahead of Tinordi simply because Tinordi is still young and needs to play everyday.

Wouldn't surprise me if Nygren makes the team by the end of the season. He will be a vast improvement over Diaz and I like Diaz.

McCarron has all the tools to be an awesome player. Just what the Habs needed.

Maybe I'm completely off base but I'd keep Thomas around till the beginning of the season. The kid can skate, shoot and pass. He just hasn't clicked yet. He made a number of nice passes last night that were flubbed by his teammates.

Last edited by onice: 09-21-2013 at 09:01 AM.
onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 08:52 AM
NH57
Habs 4 Life

Anyone know where I can catch the highlights for the game?

NH57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 09:14 AM
MonkeyBusiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagistitsyn View Post
Huh?
Francois Gangon said that Dietz could take Beaulieu's spot because they basically play the same role, and he couldn't be more wrong.

MonkeyBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 09:14 AM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
I'll give my thoughts.

Budaj/Tokarski : Both looked very solid in front of goal. I'm really liking the Tokarski pick-up. Once Budaj ships out for greener pastures, should Bergevin not bring him back, Tokarski could see back-up duties.

Defense: What a hell of a game for Pateryn. Are you kidding me? Pre-season, I know, but if there is a time to shine if you're a player looking to crack the line-up, now is that time... and boy, did Pateryn ever get noticed. I like Nygren and Dietz but they'll need some time in Hamilton. 1-2 years from now, they could very well be in the Habs line-up full time. Both look great. Gorges will continue to get better, I think, and put that bad season behind him. Subban was... well, Subban. Tinordi... I can not WAIT until this kid is playing with the Habs full time. Holy hell. Tinordi, Emelin, Murray all in the line-up at the same time? Yikes.

Offense: I like Thomas, I really do. Effort is there but nothing else seems to be. He needs more time to season his game. He has the overall skill and effort but there is a lot missing to his game. McCarron is another tough cookie that is going to make this team a whole lot better once he is ready. He demonstrates good skill and uses his size very well to protect the puck and go to the front of the net. All that is missing is discipline and playing without the puck. He's shown that he is still green so some time in London will definitely help. Definitely loved that shot where he dropped to one knee before blasting it -- hit the post too, if I remember correctly. Collberg comes off, to me anyway, as a very good, complimentary player. I hope he continues to progress and make his way to North America soon. He looks so good on the smaller surface. Tarnasky can go. I like his willingness to drop the gloves but he can't really fight or do much else for that matter. Dumont is a peg down, for me. I saw little effort on his part. Hope that trend does not continue down in Hamilton. Bournival is a surprise for me. I didn't expect him to be this good. Holland as well. If they both can continue to look good in Hamilton, I'm pretty sure Bergevin will reward them nicely. I just hope that will be the case for one Louis Leblanc as well.

And Desharnais... pas mal, hein? He looked good last night. Admit it.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 09:40 AM
Milhouse40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Skorpion View Post
I'll give my thoughts.

Budaj/Tokarski : Both looked very solid in front of goal. I'm really liking the Tokarski pick-up. Once Budaj ships out for greener pastures, should Bergevin not bring him back, Tokarski could see back-up duties.

Defense: What a hell of a game for Pateryn. Are you kidding me? Pre-season, I know, but if there is a time to shine if you're a player looking to crack the line-up, now is that time... and boy, did Pateryn ever get noticed. I like Nygren and Dietz but they'll need some time in Hamilton. 1-2 years from now, they could very well be in the Habs line-up full time. Both look great. Gorges will continue to get better, I think, and put that bad season behind him. Subban was... well, Subban. Tinordi... I can not WAIT until this kid is playing with the Habs full time. Holy hell. Tinordi, Emelin, Murray all in the line-up at the same time? Yikes.

Offense: I like Thomas, I really do. Effort is there but nothing else seems to be. He needs more time to season his game. He has the overall skill and effort but there is a lot missing to his game. McCarron is another tough cookie that is going to make this team a whole lot better once he is ready. He demonstrates good skill and uses his size very well to protect the puck and go to the front of the net. All that is missing is discipline and playing without the puck. He's shown that he is still green so some time in London will definitely help. Definitely loved that shot where he dropped to one knee before blasting it -- hit the post too, if I remember correctly. Collberg comes off, to me anyway, as a very good, complimentary player. I hope he continues to progress and make his way to North America soon. He looks so good on the smaller surface. Tarnasky can go. I like his willingness to drop the gloves but he can't really fight or do much else for that matter. Dumont is a peg down, for me. I saw little effort on his part. Hope that trend does not continue down in Hamilton. Bournival is a surprise for me. I didn't expect him to be this good. Holland as well. If they both can continue to look good in Hamilton, I'm pretty sure Bergevin will reward them nicely. I just hope that will be the case for one Louis Leblanc as well.

And Desharnais... pas mal, hein? He looked good last night. Admit it.

DD looked better last night....i admit it.....but not as much as Marc Denis try to sell it to the world. But still, he still got the same problems as last year.

Here's a vid for you:

Listen to Denis and Houde on the replay......

- Houde saying that Pacioretty and DD have been really good on the forecheck????

- Récupération de rondelle......actually DD, as usual, lost his battle one-on-one and actually lost possession of the puck.....Habs got the puck from a bad play from Canes D, but according to Denis it was a great "récuperation de rondelle"

- After that, he's saying how great DD's vision is to make that really basic simple passes.

My god.....Pateryn diserve all the credits on that play.

Having said that...DD played well last night but just not as great as some would think, he still is to easy to push around along the boards! Bournival stole the show last night....and guess what....he.'s a center too with good vision, good speed, good shot and good in his own zone!!

Milhouse40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 09:52 AM
MonkeyBusiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebinne4pres View Post
DD looked better last night....i admit it.....but not as much as Marc Denis try to sell it to the world. But still, he still got the same problems as last year.

Here's a vid for you:

- Houde saying that Pacioretty and DD have been really good on the forecheck????

- Récupération de rondelle......actually DD, as usual, lost his battle one-on-one and actually lost possession of the puck.....Habs got the puck from a bad play from Canes D, but according to Denis it was a great "récuperation de rondelle"

- After that, he's saying how great DD's vision is to make that really basic simple passes.

Having said that...DD played well last night but just not as great as some would think, he still is to easy to push around along the boards! Bournival stole the show last night....and guess what....he.'s a center too with good vision, good speed, good shot and good in his own zone!!
This is what I was talking about last night before I got jumped, RDS last night made it seem as though Desharnais did everything right. Just raving about every play he made even though some of them were actually pretty simple plays that a player like Desharnais should make. Now I never said he had a bad game, in fact he had a very good game offensively. I still found that sometimes without the puck he just stopped skating, prime example would be when he got that penalty behind the net he just didn't even try to retrieve the puck.

MonkeyBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 09:54 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:

You're right on that one. DD gets pancaked in the corner, and Pateryn made an excellent (risky) read on the pinch, deflects the defenseman's pass to Pacioretty (whose only play was the dump off to DD), and then he's back in position and yelling (can hear on the video) to DD with his stick cocked before DD even raises his head to make the pass.

I've been tough on Pateryn in terms of what I think his upside can be, but that's big league read, reaction, and recovery/reset to start AND end that play.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 10:01 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
You're right on that one. DD gets pancaked in the corner, and Pateryn made an excellent (risky) read on the pinch, deflects the defenseman's pass to Pacioretty (whose only play was the dump off to DD), and then he's back in position and yelling (can hear on the video) to DD with his stick cocked before DD even raises his head to make the pass.

I've been tough on Pateryn in terms of what I think his upside can be, but that's big league read, reaction, and recovery/reset to start AND end that play.
The difference, is that while he's getting pancaked, DD is keeping the D busy and unable to play the puck. Compare to a "bad DD night" where he wouldn't have been able to match the D's speed, or the D would have casually disposed of him and recovered the puck.

I don't mind DD getting pushed aside of the puck. Basic physics will teach you that K = mv^2 . But I mind DD getting pushed aside of the puck casually.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 10:06 AM
Milhouse40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBusiness View Post
This is what I was talking about last night before I got jumped, RDS last night made it seem as though Desharnais did everything right. Just raving about every play he made even though some of them were actually pretty simple plays that a player like Desharnais should make. Now I never said he had a bad game, in fact he had a very good game offensively. I still found that sometimes without the puck he just stopped skating, prime example would be when he got that penalty behind the net he just didn't even try to retrieve the puck.
Exactly my point.....

As you said, they turned wimple plays into great plays and don't even bother to mention anything else. But he did play a good game overall.

Only problems is....

I think the best center last night were Galchenyuk and Bournival. Both played solid games at both end!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post

Pateryn is really starting to make a name for himself and at 6'2" and 222....and he's a right handed D....kind of D the habs is missing.

Boy do we have an interessting upcoming D's!!

Old
09-21-2013, 10:06 AM
Grant McCagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by impudent_lowlife View Post
Markov made Komisarek a rich man. Hopefully he invested well.
Which always reminds me of Pierre McGuire's rant about how Markov would struggle without Komisarek as his d partner.

Grant McCagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 10:09 AM
Milhouse40

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
The difference, is that while he's getting pancaked, DD is keeping the D busy and unable to play the puck. Compare to a "bad DD night" where he wouldn't have been able to match the D's speed, or the D would have casually disposed of him and recovered the puck.

I don't mind DD getting pushed aside of the puck. Basic physics will teach you that K = mv^2 . But I mind DD getting pushed aside of the puck casually.
Technically speaking....If Cane's D didn't make a bad play on this, Habs loose puck-possession and killed the rush cause DD lost his battle one-on-one and this happened to many times last year.

Old
09-21-2013, 10:10 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
Which always reminds me of Pierre McGuire's rant about how Markov would struggle without Komisarek as his d partner.
Come on, Komisarek LOOKED good when Markov was at his side. Now we know who really pulled the weight around, but I can understand why many would have tought Komisarek was the prime shutdown and Markov the risky PMD.

Kind of think the Subban-Gill pairing in the late season of 2010-2011. People said Gill covered Subban's ass, that he was the reliable defensive anchor to Subban's risky plays. You'd think people would have learned, after Markov, eh?

Old
09-21-2013, 10:13 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Technically speaking....If Cane's D didn't make a bad play on this, Habs loose puck-possession and killed the rush cause DD lost his battle one-on-one and this happened to many times last year.
DD didn't won his battle one-on-one. But his opponent didn't either. He lost the puck, but his coverer did not went away with the puck clean. The puck was recovered by a SECOND Cane player, their centre I believe, who then fumbled in clearing it away from their zone.

Had DD really lost this battle, the D would have recovered the puck solo, he would have passed it to the centre much higher in his zone, and he would have had more transition options.